ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Targets

Two more portal offers:
  • Kyon Barrs, a DL from Arizona. 102 total tackles in four seasons and was 2nd team all Pac-12 in 2021.
  • Tre Harris, a WR from La Tech. In three seasons, he's had 1,527 receiving yards and 14 TDs.

Another offer: Rara Thomas, a WR from Miss. St. In two seasons he's had 878 yards and 12 TDs.
The offers so far overall look like more focus on lower ranked recruits overachieving at smaller schools v. highly ranked recruits underachieving at high D1 schools.............don't know if that's intentional or incidental but I like the approach.

Here’s a link to On3 which provides an overview of who’s in the portal. I don’t know how they get those NIL numbers, though they might explain somewhere on the site.

Its funny that that site lists "NIL" value.

They show Spegal in the TP...had not seen that elsewhere.

• Sad
Reactions: vesuvius13 and mk30
A few more offers out today:
  • KeSean Brown, a LB from App. State. He's racked up 66 tackles and 3 sacks in four seasons.
  • Jamil Muhammad, a LB from Georgia State. In three seasons, he's had 70 tackles and 6.5 sacks.
  • Dontae Fleming, a WR from Louisiana. 693 yards and 6 TDs in three seasons.

The offers so far overall look like more focus on lower ranked recruits overachieving at smaller schools v. highly ranked recruits underachieving at high D1 schools.............don't know if that's intentional or incidental but I like the approach.
It definitely seems that way to me. We tried taking underachievers from SEC programs and for the most part none of them panned out. This seems like a better, more reliable path forward to me...assuming any actually decide to come on board.

Hoosiers couldn't really make a five-star running back from USC work out. I am more impressed by Charlie Spiegel's high School numbers.
I think that it didn't work out because of the line coach. With a decent offensive line coach, Carr would have been a great fit and a big lift last year. I think that might be part of why McCullough wanted out.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Who's the backup plan at QB if we don't land Sims? I Like Braylon Braxton from Tulsa.
I would think that IU would be attractive for these guys that want playing time and an opportunity at a power 5. With the new offensive line coach, it should be a lot more appealing. This time next year is an even easier sell.

Who's the backup plan at QB if we don't land Sims? I Like Braylon Braxton from Tulsa.
God only knows at this point. There are plenty of guys out there, both big names and some less so that could potentially be servicable. Mike Wright from Vandy, Donovan Smith from Texas Tech, and Collin Schlee from Kent State are all intriguing to one extent or another. Emory Jones has just jumped into the portal as well, but he's been so up and down over the years its hard to see why any of us should be excited about the prospect of him coming here.

Honestly feels like so many teams better than us are looking for QB for next year that we'll just have to wait to see who gets a spot where and have a pick of the leftovers.

God only knows at this point. There are plenty of guys out there, both big names and some less so that could potentially be servicable. Mike Wright from Vandy, Donovan Smith from Texas Tech, and Collin Schlee from Kent State are all intriguing to one extent or another. Emory Jones has just jumped into the portal as well, but he's been so up and down over the years its hard to see why any of us should be excited about the prospect of him coming here.

Honestly feels like so many teams better than us are looking for QB for next year that we'll just have to wait to see who gets a spot where and have a pick of the leftovers.
Collin Schlee would be my choice... Has a lot of "Peyton Ramsey" in his makeup along with a better arm...

Tougher than 1000-N Grade Steel and all Heart from Kickoff to past the Final second..., he is Exactly what I'm looking for in a Transfer Portal QB....

Let's hope they realize who Schlee is and what he is...

Truthfully, I'd much rather have Schlee and his Leadership qualities than a guy like Sims who may be more talented but has questions about his true motivations, real desire to lead and whether he actually wants to be here to take the whole TEAM to W's rather than just to get his stats and move on to the Draft...

By the way, Schlee is a true running QB who isn't at all afraid to tuck it and go...

In my opinion, Leadership and Toughness (I call it the Payton Ramsey Factor) are the primary things we ought to be looking for in a QB... Just pure talent wont get us where we want to go...

Last edited:
Collin Schlee would be my choice... Has a lot of "Peyton Ramsey" in his makeup along with a better arm...

Tougher than 1000-N Grade Steel and all Heart from Kickoff to past the Final second..., he is Exactly what I'm looking for in a Transfer Portal QB....

Let's hope they realize who Schlee is and what he is...

Truthfully, I'd much rather have Schlee and his Leadership qualities than a guy like Sims who may be more talented but has questions about his true motivations, real desire to lead and whether he actually wants to be here to take the whole TEAM to W's rather than just to get his stats and move on to the Draft...

By the way, Schlee is a true running QB who isn't at all afraid to tuck it and go...

In my opinion, Leadership and Toughness (I call it the Payton Ramsey Factor) are the primary things we ought to be looking for in a QB... Just pure talent wont get us where we want to go...
The more Payton Ramsey like, the better I like it and the better for IUFB. Would sure raise the aspirations of the rest of QB's. Done enough reading of him he has more to offer than Bazelak. 6' 3" around 215. Has also played OOC games against top 25 competition. Being intimidated is not in his purview. No doubt some others are better but you play with what you got. IUFB could do worse.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
The more Payton Ramsey like, the better I like it and the better for IUFB. Would sure raise the aspirations of the rest of QB's. Done enough reading of him he has more to offer than Bazelak. 6' 3" around 215. Has also played OOC games against top 25 competition. Being intimidated is not in his purview. No doubt some others are better but you play with what you got. IUFB could do worse.
Effective, but he's hurt . . . sounds like a concussion.

Effective, but he's hurt . . . sounds like a concussion.

Yeah..., somehow I think he'll be recovered by March...

Did the Baylor kid (Kyron Drones IIRC) commit yet? Think IU recruited him out of high school

Did the Baylor kid (Kyron Drones IIRC) commit yet? Think IU recruited him out of high school
Nope, and there hasn't been much news that I've seen about him out there. A week or so ago there was an article indicating that TCU could be the leader for him.

A few more offers out today:
  • KeSean Brown, a LB from App. State. He's racked up 66 tackles and 3 sacks in four seasons.
  • Jamil Muhammad, a LB from Georgia State. In three seasons, he's had 70 tackles and 6.5 sacks.
  • Dontae Fleming, a WR from Louisiana. 693 yards and 6 TDs in three seasons.
Thanks for keeping up on this and keeping the board informed.

Two more offers:
  • Naiem Simmons, WR from Wagner. In two seasons he's had 1,067 receiving yards and 7 TDs.
  • Thomas Gore, DL from Georgia State. In four seasons he's racked up 92 total tackles and 11 sacks.

Two more offers:
  • Naiem Simmons, WR from Wagner. In two seasons he's had 1,067 receiving yards and 7 TDs.
  • Thomas Gore, DL from Georgia State. In four seasons he's racked up 92 total tackles and 11 sacks.
Clearly seeing a trend, IU is going for seemingly highly productive players from smaller programs. And to me, a kid who produced at a smaller college program is likley more prepared to play at IU than a new HS FR or possibly a kid from elite program who never saw the field. It's not sexy, but think if IU lands 10-12 kids with proven results at their smaller programs - that are still D1 in most cases right - that is a sound approach for IU.

Clearly seeing a trend, IU is going for seemingly highly productive players from smaller programs. And to me, a kid who produced at a smaller college program is likley more prepared to play at IU than a new HS FR or possibly a kid from elite program who never saw the field. It's not sexy, but think if IU lands 10-12 kids with proven results at their smaller programs - that are still D1 in most cases right - that is a sound approach for IU.
That's what it looks like. Might work, might not. At least those P5 guys have been practicing against P5 guys all year. I know some guys fall through the cracks and end up at smaller schools, but usually they end of up smaller schools for a reason, especially as it pertains to interior line positions.

That's what it looks like. Might work, might not. At least those P5 guys have been practicing against P5 guys all year. ev RB I know some guys fall through the cracks and end up at smaller schools, but usually they end of up smaller schools for a reason, especially as it pertains to interior line positions.gvhsn
Georgia State is a
mid level FBS team that routinely tackles like maniacs and have given many teams trouble over the past few years ...

As far as any of the D-2 type teams go if we can identify a guy with deep speed that has separation skills and Can Actually Catch the Ball and Hold On To It we have a Big Winning Pick up there...

Is there an updated list of portal offers and who is still available?
There have not been too many new offers issued of late as far as I can tell. In terms of the offers issued and who is available, this is as best as I can tell. I'm sure there are far more offers out there from our staff, but these are the ones I've seen on Twitter (including only portal guys and not those from JuCos):

Offered and Still Available:
  • Philip Blidi -- DL from Texas Tech
  • Austin Booker -- DL from Minnesota
  • KeSean Brown -- LB from App State
  • Dequece Carter -- WR from Fordham
  • Tre Harris -- WR from Louisiana Tech
  • Dre McCray -- WR from Austin Peay
  • Kobee Minor -- DB from Texas Tech
  • Jake Roberts -- TE from North Texas
  • Carson Steele -- RB from Ball State
  • Christian Turner -- RB from Wake Forrest
Offered and Committed to IU:
  • Andre Carter
  • Jamier Johnson
  • Max Longman
Offered and Committed Elsewhere:
  • Andrew Armstrong (Arkansas)
  • Kyon Barrs (USC)
  • Da'Quan Felton (Virginia Tech)
  • Dontae Fleming (Tulane)
  • Thomas Gore (Miami)
  • Emory Jones (Cincinnati)
  • Chase Lane (Georgia Tech)
  • John Morgan (Arkansas)
  • Jamil Muhummad (USC)
  • Mason Pierce (Marshall)
  • Ryan Selig (Minnesota)
  • Jeff Sims (Nebraska)
  • Naiem Simmons (USF)
  • Rara Thomas (Georgia)
  • Darian Varner (Virginia Tech)

I don’t see any offers for a QB,hopefully they have something in the works.
Right now we only have 2 with little or no game experience,correct?
That and a guy that is basically hobbling around on a reconstructed knee.
He’s probably penciled in as the starter next season if the NCAA allows motorized scooters to be on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT