ADVERTISEMENT

Poll-What will happen to college football season?

What will happen with college football this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think played in Spring 2021

What got me interested in this right now is a statement by Alabama's president that UA WILL have college football & classes this Fall.

I don't want to get political here.....but contrast that with what Michigan's governor may say about this topic.....certainly sets the possibility of southern-based college football only....

What got me interested in this right now is a statement by Alabama's president that UA WILL have college football & classes this Fall.

I don't want to get political here.....but contrast that with what Michigan's governor may say about this topic.....certainly sets the possibility of southern-based college football only....
It's not political to state that the Covid-19 situation in Alabama is far different than in Michigan. That's simply stating a fact.

I think played in Spring 2021

See story below on this topic............Somehow I cut the last part of the story.....

Kansas State AD Gene Taylor outlines seven contingency plans for football season

BY KELLIS ROBINETT

MAY 01, 2020 02:42 PM, UPDATED MAY 01, 2020 02:43 PM

MANHATTAN
There’s still no telling exactly what college football will look like next season.

When will games begin? How many games will be played? Will fans be allowed to watch games from inside campus stadiums?

Those questions remain unanswered four months before teams are scheduled to return to the gridiron as the sporting universe remains on pause because of the coronavirus pandemic.

TOP ARTICLES

00:15 / 00:15Q&A with Toure’ Murry: talking Aftershocks, Wichita State,the NBA and his pro career

But there are several possibilities. Kansas State athletic director Gene Taylor says the Big 12 is currently discussing seven primary options for the upcoming football season, and he outlined them during a conversation on Friday.

• Starting the season as scheduled in early September
  • Starting the season in late September and ending games in December
  • Starting the season in October and playing a conference-only schedule
  • Starting the season in September and playing a conference-only schedule
  • Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in January
  • Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in March
  • Splitting up the season with six games in the fall and six games in the spring
Taylor thinks all seven options are on the table right now, but he is more optimistic about certain plans than others. He said starting the season on time “is going to be a long shot.” He isn’t sure why teams would start the season in September and scrub all non-nonconference games. There would be many moving parts involved with a split season. And he thinks the idea of beginning the season in January is particularly far-fetched.

“This is just me talking, but playing a full season starting in January and playing through March is a crazy plan,” Taylor said. “There are some parts of the country that I’m not sure I want to go to in January and February.”

But there is no perfect plan. At least not right now.

“Some say that we should start in March and end in May, which may be a little more palatable from a weather perspective,” Taylor said. “But how are you going to handle the draft? And then you’ve got players playing all the way through May and then they are going to come back in the fall. Some of those logistics are crazy to think about.”

Even delaying football season a few weeks could be problematic, as teams have already booked hotels for road games on specific dates. Taylor said K-State football coach Chris Klieman has wondered aloud what might happen if the Wildcats’ first road game, scheduled for Sept. 26 at West Virginia, is postponed what would the team do if replacement hotel options aren’t available?

Perhaps K-State could travel on game day and return immediately after, eliminating the need for lodging? That is one of many possible scenarios that won’t be explored until a firm plan is set in place.

Reactions: vesuvius13
All of those scenarios have huge problems. I voted spring 2021.... but honestly just expect a full cancellation. I think pro sports will return... but much easier to isolate pros than it is college kids.

ADs are rightly desperate to salvage their athletic budgets... but so is everyone else in the travel/ hospitality/ entertainment industry. Take a number.

All of those scenarios have huge problems. I voted spring 2021.... but honestly just expect a full cancellation. I think pro sports will return... but much easier to isolate pros than it is college kids.

ADs are rightly desperate to salvage their athletic budgets... but so is everyone else in the travel/ hospitality/ entertainment industry. Take a number.

Hard to imagine any games being played without some formal statutory limits to liability being enacted.....

I think it's becoming less and less likely that the season will start on schedule. The number of new cases continues to increase in at least 20 states, yet people are letting their guard down. Then there are the people who live in remote areas or small towns and believe they have nothing to worry about. The folks in Gallup, NM would beg to differ. We can't forget, of course, the selfish idiots who believe that real men don't wear masks. And then there are the unmasked protestors who were screaming in the faces of law enforcement over the weekend. Patriots? Not a chance. Selfish a-holes? Without a doubt.

Hard to imagine any games being played without some formal statutory limits to liability being enacted.....

A liability shield might make schools feel better, but it's not really necessary. The burden on the plaintiff would just be too darn high with most circumstances.

First, there'd have to be a decision that protecting against a disease like COVID is even a duty the schools have. And not for nothing, but I can't think of any cases where a school has been sued for a student contracting a disease that just floats through the population. The only one I'm thinking of is Haas & Purdue getting sued because she alleged he gave her an STD and the school was covering it up (for lack of a better word) to protect the basketball program.

Second, the infected would have to prove where they got it, which will be nigh impossible when the kids are walking around campuses with 40k other kids (assuming the schools open for classes). Third, the plaintiff would have to prove negligence on the part of the school, which will also be difficult if they're following the CDC and state guidelines as they exist at that time. Finally, in Indiana, if you sue a state entity like IU/PU, the school's get immunity if the plaintiff is at all contributorily negligent. So 1 instagram pic of the kid at class without a mask on, for example, could be enough to kill a case entirely.

I'm not saying they won't use litigation as the bogeyman to increase their protections, but there's not going to be a rash of lawsuits coming from the schools, IMO. All a liability shield will do is protect entities that REALLY screw up in some way from having claims made against them.

I don’t see anyway the SEC doesn’t play. I’m also beginning to think the B1G won’t play.

I’m thinking there’s going to be a split for the year. And no bowls or National Champion.

The option of playing starting January 2021 is from the mind of someone who has been hitting the crack pipe once too much during COVID quarantine.

So....you want to start a football season in the dead of winter in outdoor stadiums, expect fans to attend and also play men’s college basketball at the same time? That’s a recipe for disaster.

Will never happen.

I predict a Spring 2021 college football season, with fans in attendance.

The NFL schedule is going to be released tomorrow and it's going to look like business as usual, but I predict a November start to the NFL season in both 2020 and 2021.

The NFL schedule is going to be released tomorrow and it's going to look like business as usual, but I predict a November start to the NFL season in both 2020 and 2021.
After Labor Day for college football. 8 or 9 games. no fcs games etc. sec is going to drive football this fall - just a bit later and abridged.

I initially voted for that, and it probably makes the most sense, but it's not going to happen with 13/14 of the SEC schools already saying it's a go for the Fall.

I'm kinda with mcmurtry now as to what is most likely....shortened, later season, with no post-season.

I think some schools will also sit it out....Rutgers? MSU & Michigan? Illinois? Lots of Eastern schools.

Dolphins Hard Rock Stadium holds roughly 64,000
They say they'd allow 15,000 fans.. With ushers at each row for social distancing..
What's that at Memorial Stadium..12,000 ?
Honestly I can't see fans..

I'm thinking I'm going to switch my vote to "started like regular and cancelled in early-November."

My Facebook feed is getting really full of people back home (small SW IN town) sharing some really dangerous disinformation. If the population as a whole won't remotely take it seriously, it's going to "wash over" us as the President has put it, and it's going to get bad enough to cancel mid-season.

Just about anyone will tell you that one of the most annoying things in life is when people tell you how to do your job when they have zero idea of how to do your job. I don't care if you're a plumber, cook, restaurant server, cop, whatever. But I'm seeing people who never cracked a C- in biology talking down about people with jobs they can't even spell because of videos put out by anti-vaxxers and chiropractors (I speculate as to why that is).

I don’t think people didn’t take it seriously. I mean even rural America bought in. But staying in for months wasn’t the promised strategy. It was let’s flatten the curve. And that happened. Then somewhere that all changed. And people aren't buying into that. Truth is most of America never even got close to healthcare capacity. I see no reason to lock down again until we start reaching healthcare capacities. And that will happen differently in different areas. I mean it is going to just wash across society. What else is going to happen? A miracle vaccine? Doubt it.

I'm thinking I'm going to switch my vote to "started like regular and cancelled in early-November."

My Facebook feed is getting really full of people back home (small SW IN town) sharing some really dangerous disinformation. If the population as a whole won't remotely take it seriously, it's going to "wash over" us as the President has put it, and it's going to get bad enough to cancel mid-season.

Just about anyone will tell you that one of the most annoying things in life is when people tell you how to do your job when they have zero idea of how to do your job. I don't care if you're a plumber, cook, restaurant server, cop, whatever. But I'm seeing people who never cracked a C- in biology talking down about people with jobs they can't even spell because of videos put out by anti-vaxxers and chiropractors (I speculate as to why that is).
Definitely an alarming trend - - ignoring experts who have devoted literally their entire lives to epidemiology and/or infectious diseases while taking unverified "evidence" or bs from some guy on the internet as gospel.

Personally, I don't see how this gets played on schedule. What happens if a player gets infected? Then the whole team gets quarantined for two weeks, including trainers, personnel staff, coaches. These kids come in contact with a lot of people though out the day.

At best, I think it's a delayed, shortened schedule. Will fans be in the stands? No idea. I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. How do you keep social distancing in a stadium not meant for that?

Will it hurt college programs budgets? Absolutely. But I would think that having a season and having it on television would at least bring in the tv revenue so they would have some money coming in.

Will alcohol now be sold at games. I ask this because what happens in a big game and the home team wins, what happens when they want to rush the field. We know people can carry the virus and be asymptomatic. People are idiots when they're sober. They're even more so when they've got liquid courage in them. Will security be beefed up so storming the field isn't allowed if fans are allowed in games?

These are the type of things that have to be thought of.

Reactions: 76-1
Truth is most of America never even got close to healthcare capacity. I see no reason to lock down again until we start reaching healthcare capacities.
By that reasoning you appear to be okay with an increase in infections and a resulting increase in deaths.
And that will happen differently in different areas. I mean it is going to just wash across society. What else is going to happen? A miracle vaccine? Doubt it.
A vaccine in the near term is highly unlikely. Our track record for coming up with vaccines for this family of viruses is dismal. However, if we can delay being "washed across society" there is a good chance we will be able to develop better treatments, which will lower the severity of the infections and the death rate. Think of HIV/AIDS: there is still no vaccine after all these years, but there are treatments now that essentially stop the infection in its tracks.

By that reasoning you appear to be okay with an increase in infections and a resulting increase in deaths.

A vaccine in the near term is highly unlikely. Our track record for coming up with vaccines for this family of viruses is dismal. However, if we can delay being "washed across society" there is a good chance we will be able to develop better treatments, which will lower the severity of the infections and the death rate. Think of HIV/AIDS: there is still no vaccine after all these years, but there are treatments now that essentially stop the infection in its tracks.

Honestly I see no other path. California is going to go bankrupt. Their deficit is in the high BILLIONS. Fact of the matter is we knew of this for a couple of months and ignored it. EVERYBODY. Every single politician of any importance, downplayed it. Oops. Every single place that “reopens” has immediate spikes or continues to be locked down and living in fenced in towns. It’s like Pandora’s Box. Saw in the Courier Journal Kentucky has the highest rate of unemployment in the country. Some people haven’t even gotten their first unemployment check there. It’s just not sustainable. If you’re faced with getting the virus or losing your house or ability to feed your family I mean I know which one I’m picking.

Honestly I see no other path. California is going to go bankrupt. Their deficit is in the high BILLIONS. Fact of the matter is we knew of this for a couple of months and ignored it. EVERYBODY. Every single politician of any importance, downplayed it. Oops. Every single place that “reopens” has immediate spikes or continues to be locked down and living in fenced in towns. It’s like Pandora’s Box. Saw in the Courier Journal Kentucky has the highest rate of unemployment in the country. Some people haven’t even gotten their first unemployment check there. It’s just not sustainable. If you’re faced with getting the virus or losing your house or ability to feed your family I mean I know which one I’m picking.
Too many people follow data that was wrong and now thinking the new data from those sources are going to be right. " experts who have devoted literally their entire lives to epidemiology and/or infectious diseases according to bowlmania" haven't been right so far and their ideas about this virus have been wrong. One thing the epidemiology and infectious diseases professor are right about is the virus is too small for mask that don't measure up to N95 mask don't help. The people worried about opening the country because more people will die, many die even with isolation, and people in isolation will die too and more due to depression and isolation. People have been not going to the doctor for major diseases and hospitals are laying off people due to this shutdown. All gov'ts are hurting for taxes not coming in and can't print money which would be bad. The federal gov't borrowing money hurts the lending for people needing loans. There are so many problems with the shut down that just aren't talked about and too many focused on virus deaths that are over stated due to the CDC accepting many things for COV19 deaths. If any of us bring up something despite virus deaths we are called people that want death because those people don't think about the dire situation so many are dealing with now including suicides due to it. It takes a well balanced approach to handle this which includes letting people make their own choices and deal with the consequences. If I wanted to stop people dying so much I would outlaw alcohol but that would help much and just because I don't drink isn't the right choice.

Too many people follow data that was wrong and now thinking the new data from those sources are going to be right. " experts who have devoted literally their entire lives to epidemiology and/or infectious diseases according to bowlmania" haven't been right so far and their ideas about this virus have been wrong. One thing the epidemiology and infectious diseases professor are right about is the virus is too small for mask that don't measure up to N95 mask don't help. The people worried about opening the country because more people will die, many die even with isolation, and people in isolation will die too and more due to depression and isolation. People have been not going to the doctor for major diseases and hospitals are laying off people due to this shutdown. All gov'ts are hurting for taxes not coming in and can't print money which would be bad. The federal gov't borrowing money hurts the lending for people needing loans. There are so many problems with the shut down that just aren't talked about and too many focused on virus deaths that are over stated due to the CDC accepting many things for COV19 deaths. If any of us bring up something despite virus deaths we are called people that want death because those people don't think about the dire situation so many are dealing with now including suicides due to it. It takes a well balanced approach to handle this which includes letting people make their own choices and deal with the consequences. If I wanted to stop people dying so much I would outlaw alcohol but that would help much and just because I don't drink isn't the right choice.

Let's clear this up once and for all about the masks... We have been asked to wear them to simply cut down on the viral load radius expelled range... (which was shown by one lab to be up to 26 feet)...

If you wear one it shows you're attempting to help look out for others, not yourself...

The best way to go is to use your N95 as your foundation mask up against your face and then put a couple of more layers over it (which will help keep it on and also cut down on your expelled droplet range a little more...).

Now to be clear, you are absolutely correct in that an N95 mask won't give you complete protection from the virus... You'd need a P100 level mask for that (but they are damned near impossible find to with the filters..., we can thank 3M and their Chinese factories for that)...

Reactions: mcmurtry66
A season of 6-8 games with them all being played in late August - mid October is possible. I worry a contact sport like football and basketball is a prime opportunity to spread the virus within the team before the season starts. A team's season could end in training camp with a virus breakout. I don't see how a season can start until a vaccine is developed.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT