ADVERTISEMENT

Piped in music

IU_Hickory

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2017
Whoever was in charge of that needs replaced. They were blaring music every chance they had and even had it playing over the band so the crowd could barely hear the school song after players ran on the field. Crowd is usually riled up and clapping along with the IOI but no one could hear the song.

No point in having a band if we are going to deal with a wannabe dj taking over.

No point in having a band if we are going to deal with a wannabe dj taking over.
You may just be onto something…..
Invite a high school band each week (they seemed to show more life yesterday than the “walking dead” 100)

Speaking of DJs, I see they put another very loud screaming guy on the mic in the endzones for the highly anticipated inflatable tire game.

Invite a high school band each week (they seemed to show more life yesterday than the “walking dead” 100)

Speaking of DJs, I see they put another very loud screaming guy on the mic in the endzones for the highly anticipated inflatable tire game.
You are delusional if think HS bands would be an improvement

It's the same guy as last year. That was maybe yesterday's most disappointing mom when that guy made his first appearance. He does IU basketball as well. For some reason, his schtick is not quite as over the top at those games. BTW, Basil wins every time.

Sounds like the band and game day director need to sit down and talk. Clearly they intend to change the gameday experience and the band was doing what they always do and the sound guy was doing the new. No reason we can’t have both. They also didn’t coordinate with the dance team on their first dance. Game was ready to kick back off and they were still in the middle of their routine.

I was also confused by music playing over the band before the game. The ACDC was cranked up for the team running onto the field, and then the band immediately started playing the fight song just as the team began taking their place on sidelines. Couldn't recall if that was typically the way that was handled or not, but personally I would prefer they let the ACDC rip for a bit longer and then have the band start the fight song. All in all I felt like we heard less of the band than usual. In general I still wish we would fast forward about 20 years on average age of the music played during the games. Most of what I hear is music from 70's and 80's. I was born in the 70's but even I get tired of hearing that stuff sometimes. Was surprised to see the Red Steppers dancing to 2 different "hair band" songs. Good songs, but I doubt the dancers picked two 40 year old rock songs. Curious to know the decision making process for their choreography. Just feels like sometimes stadium entertainment only caters to the 50+ crowd. Would like to think they are making an effort to get younger fans excited about coming to games too.

I was also confused by music playing over the band before the game. The ACDC was cranked up for the team running onto the field, and then the band immediately started playing the fight song just as the team began taking their place on sidelines. Couldn't recall if that was typically the way that was handled or not, but personally I would prefer they let the ACDC rip for a bit longer and then have the band start the fight song. All in all I felt like we heard less of the band than usual. In general I still wish we would fast forward about 20 years on average age of the music played during the games. Most of what I hear is music from 70's and 80's. I was born in the 70's but even I get tired of hearing that stuff sometimes. Was surprised to see the Red Steppers dancing to 2 different "hair band" songs. Good songs, but I doubt the dancers picked two 40 year old rock songs. Curious to know the decision making process for their choreography. Just feels like sometimes stadium entertainment only caters to the 50+ crowd. Would like to think they are making an effort to get younger fans excited about coming to games too.
During the game we heard piped in bits of AC/DC, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and Bruno Mars, ones I recognized. All the bands performed Paint It Black for their opening halftime number. I couldn’t have been any happier until realizing all the band members were faced towards the east side, away from the majority of people. It lacked the powerful punch of the Stones. I never caught ear of that tribal beat, the sound that would normally work the natives up into a delirious frenzy of gyrating dance moves. I exited for the concourse before the opening act was over, having heard enough.

Reactions: vesuvius13

It's not "another" one. Same guy as last year

what was the crowd size? was it one of those sweltering Indiana days?
The band looks stuck in the 80’s…
Lackluster and dated

Baby Billy you are right!! You ain't no charity! You're a f**king commodity!! Hallelujah!! .... Now, throw me those mashed potaters....

I haaate when the piped in stuff plays over the band or pep band. It just seems so small time, complete bush league.

It doesn't seem difficult for all involved to give a shit about doing a good job for the game atmosphere by coordinating. Yet they don't.

I haaate when the piped in stuff plays over the band or pep band. It just seems so small time, complete bush league.

It doesn't seem difficult for all involved to give a shit about doing a good job for the game atmosphere by coordinating. Yet they don't.
Bush league is what makes us unique!

Sounds like the band and game day director need to sit down and talk. Clearly they intend to change the gameday experience and the band was doing what they always do and the sound guy was doing the new. No reason we can’t have both. They also didn’t coordinate with the dance team on their first dance. Game was ready to kick back off and they were still in the middle of their routine.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I guess you can chalk it up to being the first game with lots of improvement available.

Seems like things were more coordinated Friday. Based on what I saw looks like last week the team came out of the tunnel too early. Tonight they stayed in the tunnel longer letting Thunderstruck play longer, then when they ran out the music stopped and the band played. Looks like week one was just a trimming issue. Much smoother operation start to finish, in and out of breaks, etc.

Whoever was in charge of that needs replaced. They were blaring music every chance they had and even had it playing over the band so the crowd could barely hear the school song after players ran on the field. Crowd is usually riled up and clapping along with the IOI but no one could hear the song.

I enjoyed halftime after the band left the field. I thought the mixes of classic rock and modern beats was very good.

What in the hell has the band done to "Back Home Again in Indiana"? It is unrecognizable. Play it the way it should be played or stop playing it.

Seems like things were more coordinated Friday. Based on what I saw looks like last week the team came out of the tunnel too early. Tonight they stayed in the tunnel longer letting Thunderstruck play longer, then when they ran out the music stopped and the band played. Looks like week one was just a trimming issue. Much smoother operation start to finish, in and out of breaks, etc.
I missed the Thunderstruck intro. Thinking the game started at 7:30 (“What a stupid I am!)” my wife and I didn’t get in our seats until midway through the first quarter. I remember hearing several loud cheers while standing in line for Ben’s Pretzels and assumed it was some pregame contest or maybe a dog and frisbee show. I about sh*t my pants when realizing my mistake. I hate missing opening game kickoffs.

The piped in music has been great these first two games, given the amount of classic rock heard. I especially enjoyed Van Halen’s extended play of “Jump”, along with snippets of Hendrix and The Who. Of course, Queen’s “We Will Rock You” should be played at every home game in “The Rock Memorial Stadium”, as Don Fisher likes to promote it.

“Rock hard Hoosiers!” Clap clap…clap, clap, clap. “Rock hard Hoosiers!” clap clap… clap, clap, clap…should be our battle cry. Everyone loves it rock hard…
e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT