ADVERTISEMENT

Phinisee

Concussion protocol - per Archie.

In all honesty, everyone reacts differently, but most collegiate football players return in under 2 weeks.

It's really down to 3 things: 1) Can a player pass the baseline cognitive testing? 2) Can a player pass the testing after exerting himself in practice? 3) Does the player feel okay after exerting himself in practice?

There's really no set "timeline."

Let's hope its not the length of Race's.
He must have had a major one..
Just when we we're beginning to get healthy. .

Been a brutal year so far injury wise. The good news is that the calander is favorable for a two week recovery.

Reactions: hoosier48
He really didn’t seem bothered much by it and he certainly didn’t get hit that hard.

I would guess he sits one game and is back by Illinois.
when i watched the highlights on btn it looked like he was wobbling around on the court trying to play

Reactions: SBendguy
Concussion protocol - per Archie.

In all honesty, everyone reacts differently, but most collegiate football players return in under 2 weeks.

It's really down to 3 things: 1) Can a player pass the baseline cognitive testing? 2) Can a player pass the testing after exerting himself in practice? 3) Does the player feel okay after exerting himself in practice?

There's really no set "timeline."
i can't pass the baseline cognitive test on my best day

Well, we need some guys to step up for sure. Even if he is out a while at least there are few games in the next couple of weeks.

My son had a concussion while playing baseball a couple years ago during his Junior season of high school. It was a violent collision. He could not go to to school for 1-2 weeks due to headaches, dizziness, and sensitivity to light. He was out for 28 days before he passed the concussion protocol tests.

All concussions have different levels of severity and the recovery is different with each. Hope RP is not out long and Race can return soon.

Reactions: cryano
i can't pass the baseline cognitive test on my best day

lol. Same.

OT story time about concussions: When I played football, getting a concussion was called "getting your bell rung."

I played offense, defense, and ST. As a WR, I drilled a LB on a crackback block and got my "bell rung" pretty hard. I came off the field for a play, the punt team went in, and I asked my WRs coach "Am I on the punt team?"

Instead of holding me out to get me evaluated, he said, "What the hell are you talking about? Get your ass out there!"

Had to ask our punter where I lined up. Got knocked out cold in the playoffs making a tackle on the perimeter by our zealous SS who drilled the back of my helmet in his effort to nab an assist. Had no memory of what I did that day after leaving the game.

I'm thankful that we've made big strides since those days. And those days weren't long ago at all, which is scary.

My son had a concussion while playing baseball a couple years ago during his Junior season of high school. It was a violent collision. He could not go to to school for 1-2 weeks due to headaches, dizziness, and sensitivity to light. He was out for 28 days before he passed the concussion protocol tests.

All concussions have different levels of severity and the recovery is different with each. Hope RP is not out long and Race can return soon.

Race won’t play this year.

He really didn’t seem bothered much by it and he certainly didn’t get hit that hard.

I would guess he sits one game and is back by Illinois.
Some made it sound like he wanted to keep playing, but the medical staff saw him hit the floor. Maybe the severity isn't as bad as some we are used to.

My daughter missed a week under the protocol. I questioned her coming back that fast, but she passed the testing.

We will be okay for the next couple of games.

lol. Same.

OT story time about concussions: When I played football, getting a concussion was called "getting your bell rung."

I played offense, defense, and ST. As a WR, I drilled a LB on a crackback block and got my "bell rung" pretty hard. I came off the field for a play, the punt team went in, and I asked my WRs coach "Am I on the punt team?"

Instead of holding me out to get me evaluated, he said, "What the hell are you talking about? Get your ass out there!"

Had to ask our punter where I lined up. Got knocked out cold in the playoffs making a tackle on the perimeter by our zealous SS who drilled the back of my helmet in his effort to nab an assist. Had no memory of what I did that day after leaving the game.

I'm thankful that we've made big strides since those days. And those days weren't long ago at all, which is scary.
i thank you for saying "zealous" without putting "over" in front of it. proves your concussions did no lasting damage

Reactions: zibby43
lol. Same.

Wow, did you wear a soft leather helmet? JK glad you are alright...

Reactions: zibby43
Race won’t play this year.
If this is true, I wonder if IU can get the Jess Settles/Evan Eschmeyer rare 6th year, 2nd redshirt for Thompson.

If I recall didn't Randy Wittman actually play in 5 seasons even though he was injured after a few games? Race has barely played.

This is really disappointing if true.

If this is true, I wonder if IU can get the Jess Settles/Evan Eschmeyer rare 6th year, 2nd redshirt for Thompson.

If I recall didn't Randy Wittman actually play in 5 seasons even though he was injured after a few games? Race has barely played.

This is really disappointing if true.
Did Race play at all this season in a non-exhibition game?

I had heard mid-January for a possible Race return? I have not heard of a 2 or 3 month concussion protocol before in basketball. This sounds like a serious brain injury. How did Race get injured? Did he go up in the air and get knocked off balance and fall awkwardly on his head? If Race can't even see lights and sounds of a game situation, not sure how he can drive or focus in class?

Last edited:
What's the possible return date for Hunter?

Sometime between tomorrow and never. He'll be back if and when his symptoms clear assuming he's so inclined.

It's been stated several times that all concussions are not equal. Race's appears to be of a more serious nature with the possibility of actual nerve damage as opposed to minor temporary symptoms. The 'protocol' exists to ensure that Players have not injured themselves and are not at risk of aggravating any injuries sustained. As it's been certified that Race indeed sustained a concussion, protocol calls for or essentially becomes treatment, i.e., rehab, an open-ended proposition because there is little treatment available apart from creating conditions that support the body's own repair mechanisms - rest, nutrition, minimizing stress and physical exertion, etc.

The NCAA allows schools to formulate their own specific protocols, consistent with generally regarded best-practice standards. IU's is:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017-18CProto65_IndianaU_Protocol_20170803.pdf

We should be able to win the next 2 without him. The Michigan game will be tough regardless, after that we'll definitely need him for the stretch run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT