ADVERTISEMENT

Peyton Ramsey vs. IU history

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
Just to summarize where he stands with 2 games still to go this season:

27 career passing TD's puts him as the 9th most TD's in IU history...........with 2 seasons (and 2 games) to go.
17 passing TD's this season puts him 7th most TD's in a season for IU.......with 2 games to go.
None of this is accounting for the 6 rushing TD's he also has.

Oh, and he's just a sophomore.

I think it's time to recognize the bull dog this kid is. He has the same mentality as IU fans have needed to have in order to stay alive this long with inept teams. He is scrappy, ignores the doubters (because lord knows they are plentiful) he simply plays every single game. No matter what is thrown at him, he stands back up and continues on. That 22pt 4th quarter vs Minny was exactly the mentality IU typically lacks. We don't have to worry about off the field issues and he has put the work in to have his teammates respect him. We've all grown with him as his passing game has improved but we all have seen his confidence from the beginning. The hope is that he can take these bumps and apply them over his last 2 years with a lot more success.

27 career passing TD's puts him as the 9th most TD's in IU history...........with 2 seasons (and 2 games) to go.
17 passing TD's this season puts him 7th most TD's in a season for IU.......with 2 games to go.

I think it's time to recognize the bull dog this kid is. He has the same mentality as IU fans have needed to have in order to stay alive this long with inept teams. He is scrappy, ignores the doubters (because lord knows they are plentiful) he simply plays every single game. No matter what is thrown at him, he stands back up and continues on. That 22pt 4th quarter vs Minny was exactly the mentality IU typically lacks. We don't have to worry about off the field issues and he has put the work in to have his teammates respect him. We've all grown with him as his passing game has improved but we all have seen his confidence from the beginning. The hope is that he can take these bumps and apply them over his last 2 years with a lot more success.
Great post about a kid who plays wit heart game in and game out and overcomes limitations. I was not a huge Peyton Ramsey fan but have grown to respect him for what he does with what talents he does have.

I think it's time to recognize the bull dog this kid is. He has the same mentality as IU fans have needed to have in order to stay alive this long with inept teams. He is scrappy, ignores the doubters (because lord knows they are plentiful) he simply plays every single game. No matter what is thrown at him, he stands back up and continues on. That 22pt 4th quarter vs Minny was exactly the mentality IU typically lacks.

Don't forget the fourth quarter against a very strong U of M defense last year that took us to OT. I've said it since last season, Ramsey reminds me of the QBs from Northwestern and Iowa who aren't great at any one thing but win 7-10 games each year.

Don't forget the fourth quarter against a very strong U of M defense last year that took us to OT. I've said it since last season, Ramsey reminds me of the QBs from Northwestern and Iowa who aren't great at any one thing but win 7-10 games each year.

I would agree with this. That is exactly what I have thought. Northwestern pumps out QB's that are very similar but Peyton has some moxy.

Have to say.....I don't get the extent of the love for PR.

I understand that he's a tough guy. However, I think the majority of starting QBs at the college level are tough guys. Lagow was an exception. Maybe that's what makes PR look so good to you guys.

Look at our stats....we are 64th in YPG, 87th in PYPG, 82nd in RYPG & 78th in PPG.....out of 130 teams. Below average, when offense was supposed to carry this team.

PR is #75 in passer rating nationally. Yes, he has 17 TDs, but he also has 11 ints, which is tied for #5 nationally. He's had some untimely ints, imo.

He's not a real running threat in the offense, other than as a scrambler. He averages 2.7 ypc and has 266 rush yds. He quick but lacks elusiveness and strength as a runner. So he's not a true double-threat QB.

Everyone talks about how bad our OL is, but not enough is said about all the WR weapons we have, which are plentiful and varied, imo.

I definitely like that he's throwing longer passes now. I'd like to see him scramble more often, as I think that's where he's most effective.

I think he's an average to slightly above average BT QB. He's workman-like. There are quite a few worse in the BT. But I don't think he's the type of guy that beats OSU, Michigan, MSU or PSU.

He's a tough competitor. If he's beaten out at QB before it's done that player will have to be really good.

Have to say.....I don't get the extent of the love for PR.

I understand that he's a tough guy. However, I think the majority of starting QBs at the college level are tough guys. Lagow was an exception. Maybe that's what makes PR look so good to you guys.

Look at our stats....we are 64th in YPG, 87th in PYPG, 82nd in RYPG & 78th in PPG.....out of 130 teams. Below average, when offense was supposed to carry this team.

PR is #75 in passer rating nationally. Yes, he has 17 TDs, but he also has 11 ints, which is tied for #5 nationally. He's had some untimely ints, imo.

He's not a real running threat in the offense, other than as a scrambler. He averages 2.7 ypc and has 266 rush yds. He quick but lacks elusiveness and strength as a runner. So he's not a true double-threat QB.

Everyone talks about how bad our OL is, but not enough is said about all the WR weapons we have, which are plentiful and varied, imo.

I definitely like that he's throwing longer passes now. I'd like to see him scramble more often, as I think that's where he's most effective.

I think he's an average to slightly above average BT QB. He's workman-like. There are quite a few worse in the BT. But I don't think he's the type of guy that beats OSU, Michigan, MSU or PSU.

Guess you missed that 30+ yard run for a TD last weekend. Two of Marylands better tacklers are still checking the tape to try to figure out how he juked them...

If everyone on our team played with the type of effort and heart that Ramsey has shown we'd be in the winning column rather than sitting at .500 in my opinion...

How anyone on here can continue to dump on him is beyond baffling...

Guess you missed that 30+ yard run for a TD last weekend. Two of Marylands better tacklers are still checking the tape to try to figure out how he juked them...

If everyone on our team played with the type of effort and heart that Ramsey has shown we'd be in the winning column rather than sitting at .500 in my opinion...

How anyone on here can continue to dump on him is beyond baffling...

Paragraph 1---That's one example of being elusive. Name me one other this year......He gets his yards running straight ahead as fast as he can. Look at his rushing yards and ypc v. guys like Martinez & Patterson

Paragraph 2---Agreed. He's a tough guy. I think I said that, and it's been said 3 million times on this forum.

Paragraph 3---Not dumping on him calling him an average to slightly above average BT QB. That's what he is.

Paragraph 1---That's one example of being elusive. Name me one other this year......He gets his yards running straight ahead as fast as he can. Look at his rushing yards and ypc v. guys like Martinez & Patterson

Paragraph 2---Agreed. He's a tough guy. I think I said that, and it's been said 3 million times on this forum.

Paragraph 3---Not dumping on him calling him an average to slightly above average BT QB. That's what he is.
Don’t get me wrong I love our receivers... however they are mot the type that are going to take a short pass and take it to the house. That is part of the reason we have low passing numbers. One thing Ramsey does do is keep the chains moving because he makes quick decisions and gets the ball out quickly. Would love to have a guy like Moore a lot of our numbers would go up significantly. Do I believe he is an elite quarterback that carry a team to the BIG championship not likely but not many can.

We have had good QBs in the past that came off good years and replaced the following year by a more talented QB. Blake Powers was replaced by Kellen Lewis as one example..

I'm not saying Penix will 100% take the starting job next year, but placement on the career list won't matter if Penix is healthy and better by the start of next year. It is amazing what Ramsey has done in less than two years and not starting all of last year. The best stat is that he is #1 in completion percentage.

Above average BT QB???!!!!???!!! In what world? This has gone off the rails completely.

How ironic....time now to defend PR.

He's clearly not as good as Haskins, Patterson, Martinez, Blough, and Stanley.

On the face of it, he shouldn't be as good as McSorley, Thorsen, Lewerke or Hornibrook. At their best, those guys are all better, as shown by what McSorley & Lewerke did to us. However, he's performed better than them statistically over the course of the year.

He's clearly better than the MD, Illinois & Rutgers QBs, and the stiff that Fleck was starting before Tanner Morgan.

So I think its fair to say he's been the 6th most effective QB in the BT this year. That wouild make him average+.

PS.......for those who love PR as our QB, you should know that his #s aren't as good in BT play as in NC play. In BT games only, his completion % is 64.5, his QB rating is 125.46, and his TDs & ints are 12 & 9.

I think the last two games have shown him at his best. I need to see him the last two games to get a honest gauge as to his new look.

I've been very disappointed in Allen's decision to play PR over MP. My feeling was MP is a 4* Florida talent who came here over some very serious scholarship offers and IU simply doesn't attract those caliber players that often. I felt cheated, I worried about MP transferring, I didn't like the look of PR and his play, I was disgusted.

That said, it's amazing what two weeks will do. I thought he showed some deep ball potential against Minnesota even though it was a lousy loss. Then he came out and played his very best game of his career Saturday against MD. If he can build on those two games and continue to make plays in the deep passing game, most of us will be happy with his play.

I would prefer MP start next year because his ceiling looks to be that of an All Big Ten caliber player. He has the cannon to throw on ANYBODY in America. His injury worries me though, so PR needs to keep improving. We also need to keep recruiting talent at the QB position.

Heres the problem I have with the complaints. I'm not sure if its his fault we are as bad as were are in the stat rankings or Debords. It could be DeBord and in order to know that you would have to have game tape of the downfield receivers since game 1. I'm not sure if we ran the same offense and he didn't throw it downfield OR if they have changed the offensive play calling and now he is launching it. Ever since the second half of the Minny game he has been dead on throwing it deep with great accuracy and plenty of velocity.

I don't know what happened. It's like a lightbulb went off and his arm got charged. The Minny game really impressed me because in the other weather games it almost looked as if he was pushing the ball towards his targets. During a cold rain in the Minny game he let it fly. Then last week continued to launch it dead on!

The other thing about that run last week...He hit 22mph on the gun this summer and it showed. He hauled ass past the entire defense and left them in the dust.

You start throwing deep like that and connecting that opens huge running lanes. If Walker can hold on the football get him in there we need some speed on the field. Reece looks tentative probably due to his size. I can't wait to see him get to the second level and turn on the jets. We need Whop back too.

If there is one area michi is vulnerable its the deep ball with an accurate QB. We'll get some calls too if we get past the corners and they end up having to run us down. Brown disguises blitzes so damn well though and if Peyton can pick that up and throw the direction that blitz is coming from it'll be wide open as Brown sells out.

Anyways before we criticize Peyton with stats lets pull the stats from the last half of the Minny game and last week. You'll see him right in the top 5.

I think the last two games have shown him at his best. I need to see him the last two games to get a honest gauge as to his new look.

I've been very disappointed in Allen's decision to play PR over MP. My feeling was MP is a 4* Florida talent who came here over some very serious scholarship offers and IU simply doesn't attract those caliber players that often. I felt cheated, I worried about MP transferring, I didn't like the look of PR and his play, I was disgusted.

That said, it's amazing what two weeks will do. I thought he showed some deep ball potential against Minnesota even though it was a lousy loss. Then he came out and played his very best game of his career Saturday against MD. If he can build on those two games and continue to make plays in the deep passing game, most of us will be happy with his play.

I would prefer MP start next year because his ceiling looks to be that of an All Big Ten caliber player. He has the cannon to throw on ANYBODY in America. His injury worries me though, so PR needs to keep improving. We also need to keep recruiting talent at the QB position.
I am sure the quarterback that gives us the best chance of winning will start. I don’t care who it is.

Reactions: 76-1 and Bligedy
We have had good QBs in the past that came off good years and replaced the following year by a more talented QB. Blake Powers was replaced by Kellen Lewis as one example..

I'm not saying Penix will 100% take the starting job next year, but placement on the career list won't matter if Penix is healthy and better by the start of next year. It is amazing what Ramsey has done in less than two years and not starting all of last year. The best stat is that he is #1 in completion percentage.
Anyone know where Cpt Powers is today.

Heres the problem I have with the complaints. I'm not sure if its his fault we are as bad as were are in the stat rankings or Debords. It could be DeBord and in order to know that you would have to have game tape of the downfield receivers since game 1. I'm not sure if we ran the same offense and he didn't throw it downfield OR if they have changed the offensive play calling and now he is launching it. Ever since the second half of the Minny game he has been dead on throwing it deep with great accuracy and plenty of velocity.

I don't know what happened. It's like a lightbulb went off and his arm got charged. The Minny game really impressed me because in the other weather games it almost looked as if he was pushing the ball towards his targets. During a cold rain in the Minny game he let it fly. Then last week continued to launch it dead on!

The other thing about that run last week...He hit 22mph on the gun this summer and it showed. He hauled ass past the entire defense and left them in the dust.

You start throwing deep like that and connecting that opens huge running lanes. If Walker can hold on the football get him in there we need some speed on the field. Reece looks tentative probably due to his size. I can't wait to see him get to the second level and turn on the jets. We need Whop back too.

If there is one area michi is vulnerable its the deep ball with an accurate QB. We'll get some calls too if we get past the corners and they end up having to run us down. Brown disguises blitzes so damn well though and if Peyton can pick that up and throw the direction that blitz is coming from it'll be wide open as Brown sells out.

Anyways before we criticize Peyton with stats lets pull the stats from the last half of the Minny game and last week. You'll see him right in the top 5.

Interesting comments about DeBord.

Maybe we can have some real discussion here.......it seems to me as a lay person that Debord's philosophy is to try to locate match-ups to exploit, using simple routes. For example, if he thinks Hale or Westbrook can beat their match-ups deep, they throw simple deep fade passes. If not, they don't use them. It seems like this is one reason why Timian might have 8 catches one week, 1 the next, and vice versa for Whop/Harris.

In contrast, someone like Brohm tries to fool the defense by putting DBs in positions where they have decisions to make, hoping for breakdowns in the defensive scheme. He seems to have a more aggressive approach of trying to impose his will, imo.

Obviously these are generalizations and each staff would use some of each approach.....I'm talking about tendencies....

Correct or not?

Interesting comments about DeBord.

Maybe we can have some real discussion here.......it seems to me as a lay person that Debord's philosophy is to try to locate match-ups to exploit, using simple routes. For example, if he thinks Hale or Westbrook can beat their match-ups deep, they throw simple deep fade passes. If not, they don't use them. It seems like this is one reason why Timian might have 8 catches one week, 1 the next, and vice versa for Whop/Harris.

In contrast, someone like Brohm tries to fool the defense by putting DBs in positions where they have decisions to make, hoping for breakdowns in the defensive scheme. He seems to have a more aggressive approach of trying to impose his will, imo.

Obviously these are generalizations and each staff would use some of each approach.....I'm talking about tendencies....

Correct or not?
You might have over simplified it too much. There is a lot that goes into building a passing game. You have timing routes which are usually thrown in rhythm like your fades. You have flood routes that designed to overload a zone and make a defender make a decision on who to cover. You have combo routes such as a smash route which would be a curl and a flag behind it, you have a slant and a flat route. Then you have choice packages that require the receiver to break opposite of where dB is playing.

You might have over simplified it too much. There is a lot that goes into building a passing game. You have timing routes which are usually thrown in rhythm like your fades. You have flood routes that designed to overload a zone and make a defender make a decision on who to cover. You have combo routes such as a smash route which would be a curl and a flag behind it, you have a slant and a flat route. Then you have choice packages that require the receiver to break opposite of where dB is playing.
All of the deep passes I have seen are fades (timing deep). They have all been sideline too. As far as forced...the only forces I have seen are the deep routes but Ramsey is laying it in there perfect and the defense hasn't had a shot. Yes DeBord mixes alot of what you mentioned but takes what the defense gives which is usually the checkdown or easy throw.

There were 3 tight end drops over the middle last week all by Hendershot. He musta had a hangover or something they were all on the money.

I'll try to get some examples of the types of schemes you mentioned.

Can only find Minny clips to crop. Here is a nice timing fade.

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/Ek5bec66f8a42c4

Here is another where the flooded the zone and caused safety confusion. Normally Ramsey would have thrown to his checkdown Brookins which was crossing over the middle. Thank God he looked downfield

Fixed this link :)

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/Ek5bec72f6aa7ea

Here is an excellent point similar to a smash route you were talking about

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/Ek5bec6dfe14107

Last edited:
All of the deep passes I have seen are fades (timing deep). They have all been sideline too. As far as forced...the only forces I have seen are the deep routes but Ramsey is laying it in there perfect and the defense hasn't had a shot. Yes DeBord mixes alot of what you mentioned but takes what the defense gives which is usually the checkdown or easy throw.

There were 3 tight end drops over the middle last week all by Hendershot. He musta had a hangover or something they were all on the money.

I'll try to get some examples of the types of schemes you mentioned.

Can only find Minny clips to crop. Here is a nice timing fade.

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/Ek5bec66f8a42c4
Yes he does mix a lot of stuff in his package. I think a lot of people undervalue Coach Debord and his system. You would think by the way people talk that out offense is inept, People want to see us just drop back and let it fly and that is not who we are personnel wise.

Reactions: 76-1
Yes he does mix a lot of stuff in his package. I think a lot of people undervalue Coach Debord and his system. You would think by the way people talk that out offense is inept, People want to see us just drop back and let it fly and that is not who we are personnel wise.
Agree you look at all those schemes which are similar but all run different routes and there are plenty of options for Ramsey. Anyone thinking Penix is gonna Waltz in and learn this offense at Ramseys level? Cmon man.

Penix learned a few packages and in the psu game was effective but this offense has alot of dimensions. In Penix defense his stats could have been much better if the receivers didn't have the dropsies. There were probably 3 balls on the money that were flat dropped. You probably cant blame the receivers either. Its like going from Ramsey to Bobby Douglass. Good luck with that. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT