ADVERTISEMENT

Pearl on gameday.

If he classifies a blue blood by whether they beat Auburn like a drum, Indiana's off of his list anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
Bulletin Board material. I wouldn't want to play them next game. Sort of like when we caught them coming off the loss to App St. The guy knows how to push buttons. That's all that is. He's already priming for facing them again in the SEC tourney.

Yep. Listened to the whole pressor. Pearl never talks about UK as a blue blood. None of that was true. All made up.
Yeah my bad. Probably written by a Kentucky fan. I should've caught that. Who the hell considers Auburn a blue blood? Lol.

@Kellerdog I got a text that Fatjohns posted Pearl would love the Indiana job? You talk to him ever or what?
He has publicly said that IU was his Dream Job. That was a while ago IIRC. I do know that he hates the Under Armor contract a bunch, has cost he/AU a ton of recruits. (In bball and football). He also wants Steven to be named HC in waiting, similar to Knight and Sampson. Long story short, I think that ship has probably sailed IMO. He would have IU back in the Sweet 16 in 2 years...

He has publicly said that IU was his Dream Job. That was a while ago IIRC. I do know that he hates the Under Armor contract a bunch, has cost he/AU a ton of recruits. (In bball and football). He also wants Steven to be named HC in waiting, similar to Knight and Sampson. Long story short, I think that ship has probably sailed IMO. He would have IU back in the Sweet 16 in 2 years...
Do you know what his buyout with Auburn is? Is Adidas any better than UA? Seems to me it's Nike and everyone else.

🖕🏻

• Haha
Reactions: Kellerdog
If IU wants Pearl, maybe the deal would include giving his son a chance to be the head coach upon Bruce’s retirement. Steven Pearl is highly regarded in some circles. That could be the closer.

Pearl is too old. If you want to be right back where we are now in 3-5 years, hire an old man.
It's not age, it's energy and willingness to learn, grow and innovate. Pearl seems a young 63, where CMW seems an older 64. If someone still has the fire, I don't think 63 is too young. I'm way less comfortable with agreeing to his son taking over. That would be a deal-killer for me. I'd say, well, if you do well and he's on your staff and is your top assistant, he'd have every opportunity to interview and continue your success, and an orderly transition is certainly preferable.

Again, we are only guessing. As AD you've got to sit down with every candidate and hear their "vision" for IU and what/when they think they can accomplish and also hear their explanations for your concerns about their history/experience.

Pearl is 63 years old and makes 5.4 million at Auburn. I can't see him walking away from that.
I don't think the motivation would be exclusively money. If he feels he can't recruit to AU or not get them to that elite plane, it's possible he might feel that he could do that at IU. There are advantages to being at a football first school in that it deflects some criticism, but it will also always be the first to get $$ and support that might otherwise go to the bball program. At IU, those dollars are going to go to bball first generally. At Auburn, he's always going to be 3rd fiddle: Football first, spring football second, then basketball third.

Two years??? Year one!!!

It's not age, it's energy and willingness to learn, grow and innovate. Pearl seems a young 63, where CMW seems an older 64. If someone still has the fire, I don't think 63 is too young. I'm way less comfortable with agreeing to his son taking over. That would be a deal-killer for me. I'd say, well, if you do well and he's on your staff and is your top assistant, he'd have every opportunity to interview and continue your success, and an orderly transition is certainly preferable.

Again, we are only guessing. As AD you've got to sit down with every candidate and hear their "vision" for IU and what/when they think they can accomplish and also hear their explanations for your concerns about their history/experience.
Yep. And Cig is 62.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT