ADVERTISEMENT

Paging Coach Gee, for an opinion

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
He is the person whose knowledge of the game I respect the most on this board. small debate in another thread about who was most dominate in high school Kemp or Robinson.
Coach who would be your all-time team Indiana HS team based only on players you have seen during their High School career only, not on what they did in college or the pros

Mine would be

C Oden
F Robinson
F Kemp
G Skiles
G Gordon
6th man Bailey

Admittedly living in so ind only got to see a lot of players in the state tournament, Alford and Blackmon Sr were supposed to be incredible High School players, but I never had a chance to see them.

He is the person whose knowledge of the game I respect the most on this board. small debate in another thread about who was most dominate in high school Kemp or Robinson.
Coach who would be your all-time team Indiana HS team based only on players you have seen during their High School career only, not on what they did in college or the pros

Mine would be

C Oden
F Robinson
F Kemp
G Skiles
G Gordon
6th man Bailey

Admittedly living in so ind only got to see a lot of players in the state tournament, Alford and Blackmon Sr were supposed to be incredible High School players, but I never had a chance to see them.
Tough to argue with your list although I'd put George McGinnis out of Indianapolis Washington in there. He along with Steve Downing formed the most dominant single season basketball team I've seen.

Jay Edwards at Marion was fantastic.

Tough to argue with your list although I'd put George McGinnis out of Indianapolis Washington in there. He along with Steve Downing formed the most dominant single season basketball team I've seen.

I never saw him either, but if you did, I'd almost think the list would start with Big Mac and go from there. Be pretty crazy to think 2 guys from the same team would make it, but that might be the case or Downing would at least be HM.

Who would you rate the better/more impactful player between GM, GR or SK in high school only? Again, I didn't see him, but I suspect it would be GM. Basically Shawn Kemp with 25 extra lbs playing against smaller opponents, no?

Reactions: kmathum
I never saw him either, but if you did, I'd almost think the list would start with Big Mac and go from there. Be pretty crazy to think 2 guys from the same team would make it, but that might be the case or Downing would at least be HM.

Who would you rate the better/more impactful player between GM, GR or SK in high school only? Again, I didn't see him, but I suspect it would be GM. Basically Shawn Kemp with 25 extra lbs playing against smaller opponents, no?
Shawn Kemp is hands down the most gifted high school basketball player I've personally seen and second only behind Rod Woodson in terms of an athlete. Woodson might have been a better track athlete than football player at that age if you can believe it.

McGinnis was an absolute man-child and couldn't be stopped. Big Dog also up there. Zach Randolph is another that's extremely impressive and one that many will underrate. Absolutely dominated Sean May and Jared Jeffries in the State Finals. Love JJ but travesty that Randolph wasn't the Mr. Basketball winner.

did you ever see rick mount in high school? he was before my time but heard he was unbelievable

Reactions: kmathum
Shawn Kemp is hands down the most gifted high school basketball player I've personally seen and second only behind Rod Woodson in terms of an athlete. Woodson might have been a better track athlete than football player at that age if you can believe it.

McGinnis was an absolute man-child and couldn't be stopped. Big Dog also up there. Zach Randolph is another that's extremely impressive and one that many will underrate. Absolutely dominated Sean May and Jared Jeffries in the State Finals. Love JJ but travesty that Randolph wasn't the Mr. Basketball winner.
didn't know Woodson was from Indiana, where did he play at?

forgot about him, seems like JJ played his ass of that game but was no match

did you ever see rick mount in high school? he was before my time but heard he was unbelievable
I did once, was in junior high when he played. He and Alford two best pure shooters I've ever seen.

Funny story about Rick Mount. Was at the State Fair with my family, would have been either in 64 or 65 as I was 12 or 13 years old. Older looking kid wearing jeans and a jacket (in August) was at the basketball hoop hustling grown men. Kid hit 25 or so shots in a row and probably won $50. Don't think he had a dime on him. Someone finally realized that it was Rick Mount and that was the end of that.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I did once, was in junior high when he played. He and Alford two best pure shooters I've ever seen.

Funny story about Rick Mount. Was at the State Fair with my family, would have been either in 64 or 65 as I was 12 or 13 years old. Older looking kid wearing jeans and a jacket (in August) was at the basketball hoop hustling grown men. Kid hit 25 or so shots in a row and probably won $50. Don't think he had a dime on him. Someone finally realized that it was Rick Mount and that was the end of that.

I went to a Rick Mount Purdue game. During warm ups Rick told his coach the rim was not level. So they delayed the start to measure. Then corrected the rim.

Reactions: Cavanagh
coach do you remember Louie Dampier, him Artis Gilmore and Dan Issel were the core of the Kentucky Colonels my 1st memories of watching basketball, I still hate John Y Brown wouldn't pay 1 million dollars to join the NBA, worst non-investment in sports history

I went to a Rick Mount Purdue game. During warm ups Rick told his coach the rim was not level. So they delayed the start to measure. Then corrected the rim.
Saw that happen, Mount said 1/4 inch high - it was 1/4 inch high.

Best 5 I ever saw. Oscar Robertson, George McGinnis, Steve Alford, Jimmy Rayl, Rick Mount - 6th Ray Pavey and Damon Bailey. But I could make a list of 50 and any coach would have died to have any of them. Think of Manual in 61, Attucks in 55 and 56, Indianapolis Washington in 69 and EVEN Noblesville girls in 87.

Didn't have a great game. Randolph got him in early foul trouble and was a non-factor in the first half.
That’s because North’s coach kept him on Randolph. He should’ve kept Bridgwater on him. Bridgewater was keeping him at bay while May(freshman) was keeping them in it. As soon as JJ came in the coach put him back on Randolph. Game…..that north team was loaded.

That’s because North’s coach kept him on Randolph. He should’ve kept Bridgwater on him. Bridgewater was keeping him at bay while May(freshman) was keeping them in it. As soon as JJ came in the coach put him back on Randolph. Game…..that north team was loaded.
I think JJ wanted to guard him, that day he couldn't

Saw that happen, Mount said 1/4 inch high - it was 1/4 inch high.

Best 5 I ever saw. Oscar Robertson, George McGinnis, Steve Alford, Jimmy Rayl, Rick Mount - 6th Ray Pavey and Damon Bailey. But I could make a list of 50 and any coach would have died to have any of them. Think of Manual in 61, Attucks in 55 and 56, Indianapolis Washington in 69 and EVEN Noblesville girls in 87.
who was Ray Pavey never heard of him?

Reactions: kkott
Played at the same time Rayl did. They had the Rayl/Pavy shootout. Both were part of the IU class of 1961. Ray Pavy unfortunately got into a car accident as a freshman than left him paralyzed from the waist down.

He was a great basketball player, but he’s an even better man. I grew up going to church with Ray and his wife Karen in New Castle.

New Castle playing against Rayl. Friend of mine, Ray and Rayl went to IU together but Ray was paralized in an accident after his freshman year. He and Rayl had a famous shootout. iu freshmen with Pavey and Raylk beat the varsity in a scrimmage. At the end of it, Frank Radovich shot a free throw that hit the front of the rim and shattered the backboard they board were but shatter proof back then,

https://hoopshall.com/inductees/ray-pavy/ In the :church Street Shootout" - New Castle's old gym - Rayl got 49 but Pavey got 51.

EDIT correction accident was after his sophomore year. I played against Ray when he was a counselor at church camp.

Last edited:
Did they win any?
1997. Last one class title. Should’ve had one in 2000 and then again during the Sean May years. Had lots of great players come through from 96-2004. McKinney stacked wins in those years. That 96 team could’ve went 11-12 deep. They platooned. The 5 on the bench was as good as the 5 on the floor. The 97 team went 8-9 deep too. Should’ve been undefeated but got homered at the wigwam.

Mine would be

C Oden
F Robinson
F Kemp
G Skiles
G Gordon
6th man Bailey

Same lineup as yours except I'd sub out Gordon for Luke Brown.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: kkott and EarlTubbs
1997. Last one class title. Should’ve had one in 2000 and then again during the Sean May years. Had lots of great players come through from 96-2004. McKinney stacked wins in those years. That 96 team could’ve went 11-12 deep. They platooned. The 5 on the bench was as good as the 5 on the floor. The 97 team went 8-9 deep too. Should’ve been undefeated but got homered at the wigwam.
Homered at the Wigwam? There are 150 teams who belong to that club - I Was Homered at The Wigwam. Great hall but very bad conduct and outright homering and it happened every time Anderson needed it to happen.

Homered at the Wigwam? There are 150 teams who belong to that club - I Was Homered at The Wigwam. Great hall but very bad conduct and outright homering and it happened every time Anderson needed it to happen.
Won’t dispute that. Got very homered. So I needed to get hammered after.

Put up monstrous numbers at a small school. Much more revered for his college and professional days.
I don't think there is any comparison on HS days, Bird obviously proved a bit of a late bloomer and superior overall by far but in HS ? No one could do the athletic things Kemp could at 6-11

True on Kemp, he was about 4 yrs behind me, I was 1 yr behind skiles, and shawn often played without really being challenged so he looked disinterested at times.....agree on rod Woodson, always went to see him run at the goshen relays where he was a 1 man team against Gary Roosevelt and won the most points award every year, didn't know he played football until my freshman yr at IU when I was at a game and this Woodson guy kept making all the plays and looked him up in the program and thought "huh, he plays football too? He's pretty good!"

Mine would be

C Oden
F Robinson
F Kemp
G Skiles
G Gordon
6th man Bailey

I'd switch Damon with either guard, but I am biased as I saw every game of his for 4 years.

True on Kemp, he was about 4 yrs behind me, I was 1 yr behind skiles, and shawn often played without really being challenged so he looked disinterested at times.....agree on rod Woodson, always went to see him run at the goshen relays where he was a 1 man team against Gary Roosevelt and won the most points award every year, didn't know he played football until my freshman yr at IU when I was at a game and this Woodson guy kept making all the plays and looked him up in the program and thought "huh, he plays football too? He's pretty good!"
Where did you go to HS? Concord sucked bad before Kemp got there and Skiles was the devil

I ran track in high school and remember participating in the Goshen Relays and Rod Woodson was a sophomore running for FW Snider. He ran the 110 high hurdles and just dominated the field. He chose football, but could’ve been an Olympic hurdler. Given that he’s in the HoF I think he chose well.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
I ran track in high school and remember participating in the Goshen Relays and Rod Woodson was a sophomore running for FW Snider. He ran the 110 high hurdles and just dominated the field. He chose football, but could’ve been an Olympic hurdler. Given that he’s in the HoF I think he chose well.
I never really knew about Woodson's track history . A bit off but wasn't Wit Chamberlain a terrific High jumper?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT