ADVERTISEMENT

OSU meeting with Creighton Coach

As an IU basketball fan I'd love it. Supposedly the AD wants a new coach named by this weekend. Why wait so long to fire Matta then? I have spoken to a couple diehard Buckeye basketball fans who assured me if they wanted Donovan they would have him.

Reactions: Hoogolf
As an IU basketball fan I'd love it. Supposedly the AD wants a new coach named by this weekend. Why wait so long to fire Matta then? I have spoken to a couple diehard Buckeye basketball fans who assured me if they wanted Donovan they would have him.

Yeah, I don't understand Smith's timing at all. I have to imagine it had a lot to do with Bazley decommitting and Lyle's departure. If it was only about Thad's health, then you think he'd have pulled the trigger sooner so they could hit the coaching market at the right time.

The thought crossed my mind that they were awaiting the end of the NBA season, believing they had somebody like BD or Hoiberg locked up. But even that doesn't explain it.

And, given that they've interviewed McDermott and Jent, and Hoiberg has publicly announced he's staying put, they obviously didn't have anybody waiting in the wings.

McDermott had some great years when his son was playing. Beyond that though, his record has been very Creanesque.

Reactions: Rakkasan29

they must have meant sexually

You mean that Archie isn't on their doorstep begging for his dream job?

Perusing a couple of their forums, a lot of their fans are steaming mad about how this was handled. I can't say I blame them. To a man, they feel that they could've beaten out IU for Archie had the job been open in March (and they may well be right about that....who knows?). And now they're miffed not only that they missed on him, but that he'll be coaching elsewhere in the Big Ten.

If they end up hiring somebody with a spotty record -- like McDermott -- that'll pour fuel on the fire.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Perusing a couple of their forums, a lot of their fans are steaming mad about how this was handled. I can't say I blame them. To a man, they feel that they could've beaten out IU for Archie had the job been open in March (and they may well be right about that....who knows?). And now they're miffed not only that they missed on him, but that he'll be coaching elsewhere in the Big Ten.

If they end up hiring somebody with a spotty record -- like McDermott -- that'll pour fuel on the fire.
Exactly right. Had the OSU job been open a few months ago, Miller's tie to them would've provided extremely stiff competition to IU's efforts to hire him. The OSU fans know well what they've very likely missed out on.

Jent to OSU if McDermott decides to stay put at Creighton.
Safer at Creighton, B1G is brutal if you are not up to the task, as Groce and Crean found out.
Nothing in his past suggests McDermott is any better than Groce or Crean.

Wow. That's... underwhelming.
If this is true, McDermott imho, would be the fall back choice if the candidates that they really want aren't interested. I am a little surprised he would be interviewed so early unless others on their list had turned them down. I believe the coaches our fans wanted that weren't ever options would also be out of play for OSU. Hoiberg wasn't really on our wish list, but I give him a bigger chance of being interested. He is my dark horse prediction.

Exactly right. Had the OSU job been open a few months ago, Miller's tie to them would've provided extremely stiff competition to IU's efforts to hire him. The OSU fans know well what they've very likely missed out on.

Maybe. But all anybody can do is speculate -- and then get in fights with other people who speculate differently. What an exercise in pointless futility.

What isn't speculation is that Archie's here and we're moving forward. We'll have to see what OSU comes up with. Maybe Smith will pull a rabbit out of his hat.

Huggins would be as good as The OSU could get at this point in the year.
After Huggins there is a big drop off in the quality of candidates.

Maybe. But all anybody can do is speculate -- and then get in fights with other people who speculate differently. What an exercise in pointless futility.

What isn't speculation is that Archie's here and we're moving forward. We'll have to see what OSU comes up with. Maybe Smith will pull a rabbit out of his hat.
No doubt. It cannot be proven that Miller would've opted for OSU, only that he had clear ties to them that were strong and likely compelling had he been presented with a choice between the two schools.

Yes, all ball coaches want to live in the shadow of urban.

Yes, all ball coaches want to live in the shadow of urban.
Outstanding coaches likely wouldn't be swayed by that or feel as though they were living in anyone's shadow. I don't think it bothered Matta much to "live in the shadow" of Jim Tressel or Urban Meyer.

No doubt. It cannot be proven that Miller would've opted for OSU, only that he had clear ties to them that were strong and likely compelling had he been presented with a choice between the two schools.

A former OSU player (Mark Titus) who was at OSU with A Miller completely disagrees with your logic. A player who knows AM and OSU's program is much more knowledgeable about the situation.

A former OSU player (Mark Titus) who was at OSU with A Miller completely disagrees with your logic. A player who knows AM and OSU's program is much more knowledgeable about the situation.
There you go. Someone with a different yet equally knowledgeable opinion. Hopefully this alleviates the upsetting nature of this very hypothetical yet obviously frightening scenario.

There you go. Someone with a different yet equally knowledgeable opinion. Hopefully this alleviates the upsetting nature of this very hypothetical yet obviously frightening scenario.
You said clear ties. Lol he was an assistant there for 2 years. Oh my.... that is the kind of ignorance that you are posting. That is all I needed to read. You have no clue. Sad part, you actually believe what you are writing. Poster's opinion vs a former player who has a clue. Keep posting... I'm loving it!

McDermott turned OSU down.
Are they going to hire their 6th choice? 7?
I know they're just rumors but both Millers, Donovan, Mack, Hoiberg, McDermott were supposedly all on the list and aren't going to OSU.

McDermott turned OSU down.
Are they going to hire their 6th choice? 7?
I know they're just rumors but both Millers, Donovan, Mack, Hoiberg, McDermott were supposedly all on the list and aren't going to OSU.

It's AM dream job!!!! Lol He was an assistant for 2 years... that has to be huge in a decision. Especially after OSU fired the coach who brought AM there.

You said clear ties. Lol he was an assistant there for 2 years. Oh my.... that is the kind of ignorance that you are posting. That is all I needed to read. You have no clue. Sad part, you actually believe what you are writing. Poster's opinion vs a former player who has a clue. Keep posting... I'm loving it!
You don't think being an assistant for two years OSU gives him a clear tie to the University? That's your argument? You simply look foolish again.

It's AM dream job!!!! Lol He was an assistant for 2 years... that has to be huge in a decision. Especially after OSU fired the coach who brought AM there.
Who said it was Miller's dream job? Your poor education is on display once again, as is your foolishness.

You don't think being an assistant for two years OSU gives him a clear tie to the University? That's your argument? You simply look foolish again.
But not as foolish as a school who fired a good coach, historically one of the programs best, late in the offseason without a clear plan.
I'd be embarrassed, and livid, at the AD if I was an OSU fan.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
But not as foolish as a school who fired a good coach, historically one of the programs best, late in the offseason without a clear plan.
Smith has some explaining to do, that's for sure. Had 2017-18 turned into a poor year, however, Smith would've caught hell for not making a move sooner. No easy answers when you're firing a very successful coach.

Not at all... I was an intern for 2 years at company while achieving my degree. When I graduated IU, I turned down an offer from them for a position that offered better resources (pay, fringe benefits, flex hours, larger budget for my dept) I appreciate them helping me, but those 2 years meant very little when deciding on my best offer. If that were the case, each Head Coach has ties to 5-6 schools where they were on the job training for a HC position. Just like Crean was at Pitt for 2 years, he's not looking at the Pitt job as more attractive cause he was there 2 years. Any coach at the D1 level would say the same.

I guess you are not intelligent enough to know not to speak about things you don't know. Keep talking, I'm rolling with laughter with your position on the topic. Like I said, keep posting!!! It's glorious to read.

Last edited:

It's not as if Indiana's Athletic Department has been the example to look towards when making critical decisions regarding its teams and coaches over the past two decades or so...

McDermott turned OSU down?
Bob Huggins
Chris Jent

It would be interesting to see what Huggins could do at OSU. But isn't he already one of the highest paid coaches in the country?

That said, if anybody could afford him, it's OSU (although they still have to pay Thad for 3 years).

It would be interesting to see what Huggins could do at OSU. But isn't he already one of the highest paid coaches in the country?

That said, if anybody could afford him, it's OSU (although they still have to pay Thad for 3 years).
I would think Huggins is very happy at W. Virginia since that is where he is from and went to school there.

Reactions: Hoogolf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT