ADVERTISEMENT

Open Convention, Question.

after some googling...

It depends a bit on your definition. The term open convention seemingly isn't well-defined.

A brokered convention happens when a candidate fails to win a majority of delegates after the first round of voting, something that has not occurred with either party since 1952. The delegates took three ballots to nominate Adlai Stevenson as their nominee. He lost to Dwight D. Eisenhower.

A contested convention happens when multiple candidates are vying for the nomination, at the convention, with none having >50% going in. That happened in 1968, since after the RFK assassination, no candidate had a clear majority of delegates. But Humphrey was selected on the first ballot.

1968, and yes.
Well there were primaries in 1968. And yes, Humphries got Johnson’s delegates.

RFK was shot. But there were three principal nominees (Humphries, Muskie, and McGovern) at the convention. There will be no opposing nominees in Chicago. RFK Jr. was not allowed to compete in the Democratic primaries this year, to get a floor nomination.

The big difference, to me, was there was no coverup for Johnson. (Some may yet believe there was no coverup for Biden).

Well there were primaries in 1968. And yes, Humphries got Johnson’s delegates.

RFK was shot. But there were three principal nominees (Humphries, Muskie, and McGovern) at the convention. There will be no opposing nominees in Chicago. RFK Jr. was not allowed to compete in the Democratic primaries this year, to get a floor nomination.

The big difference, to me, was there was no coverup for Johnson. (Some may yet believe there was no coverup for Biden).
What would the coverup be for biden? That he was physically/mentally incapable of serving for 4 more years?

Unfortunately there is no age limit and nothing to force an aging person to drop out on their own coverup or not. A party isn't going to throw their incumbent under the bus but they finally were able to convince him to drop out.

As far as I am aware, candidates are allowed to drop out for any reason whatsoever before delegates make their choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT