ADVERTISEMENT

Only good stuff

@Marvin the Martian @Noodle @Baller23Boogie

I thought this belonged here instead of the umpire thread, but that thread reminded me of something I watched when I lived in Toledo, when the best ump in the game f*cked up:

But was a man and admitted how wrong he was:

And the best part was how Detroit accepted his humility (I've been to several games at Comerica, and it's the only stadium where my experiences have been universally positive; Tigers fans are really great people.)

I thought this belonged here instead of the umpire thread, but that thread reminded me of something I watched when I lived in Toledo, when the best ump in the game f*cked up:

And the best part was how Detroit accepted his humility (I've been to several games at Comerica, and it's the only stadium where my experiences have been universally positive; Tigers fans are really great people.)

The way he said he was certain he made the right call originally, that he believed the runner beat the throw, makes one wonder how are brains work. Why did he think that, it clearly wasn't true. It goes to how eyewitnesses are so often wrong about what they think they see.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie

One thing this incident showed is how much respect they had for Joyce - even before he realized he blew the call and apologized.

The way he said he was certain he made the right call originally, that he believed the runner beat the throw, makes one wonder how are brains work. Why did he think that, it clearly wasn't true. It goes to how eyewitnesses are so often wrong about what they think they see.
I had to umpire a Little League game once, behind the plate. I had at least three ball/strike calls that I thought were wrong right after the word left my mouth. The hardest part for me was making the call promptly even though my brain was still processing things. And these were 8-9 year old kids pitching. A very humbling experience and I loved that the league made every coach umpire a game.

I had to umpire a Little League game once, behind the plate. I had at least three ball/strike calls that I thought were wrong right after the word left my mouth. The hardest part for me was making the call promptly even though my brain was still processing things. And these were 8-9 year old kids pitching. A very humbling experience and I loved that the league made every coach umpire a game.
Having parents umpire games should be an absolute requirement. My league hired umpires and the amount of questioning and bitching was ridiculous. I used to ump a lot when I was younger and then when I coached, during the summers.

Being decisive and timely with a call is very, very important. Every official is going to miss calls. And increasing the % of right vs. wrong calls isn't going to change much by taking a few extra seconds to think about it, but that extra time is going to cause a lot of doubt about the officiating, which can ruin the experience for the teams (and their fans).

This. This is the reason this thread exists. Happy Friday. Let's all try harder to be more civil to one another. To seek common ground rather than fight. To care about one another.

(OK I give up - I am referring to the second video below, but I cannot figure out how to post only that one.)

This. This is the reason this thread exists. Happy Friday. Let's all try harder to be more civil to one another. To seek common ground rather than fight. To care about one another.

(OK I give up - I am referring to the second video below, but I cannot figure out how to post only that one.)

Wow, that's quite a short

Reactions: Noodle

I've lost track of how many times I have watched this now. It is just perfect. You cannot make up the joy he is feeling or the awe of the audience. This is what it means to live your dreams - no matter how long it takes. Can you imagine the junior high kids who just saw their janitor belting it out on national television?

I cannot wait to hear what Richard sings next.

I've lost track of how many times I have watched this now. It is just perfect. You cannot make up the joy he is feeling or the awe of the audience. This is what it means to live your dreams - no matter how long it takes. Can you imagine the junior high kids who just saw their janitor belting it out on national television?

That was great, yes, but I don't think anyone will ever top this one.

That was pretty special. It's he a genuine everyday guy? That one guy Paul Potts or whatever kind of ruined it when we all found out he had been classically trained for years. I want to see a real bum do it.

Reactions: UncleMark
That was pretty special. It's he a genuine everyday guy? That one guy Paul Potts or whatever kind of ruined it when we all found out he had been classically trained for years. I want to see a real bum do it.
He apparently has a very large Tik Tok following and had some videos go viral before. But he truly is a janitor. Nothing has come out to suggest he's trained, etc. But he does apparently sing in some bands. Besides, lots of contestants have had training, etc.

He apparently has a very large Tik Tok following and had some videos go viral before. But he truly is a janitor. Nothing has come out to suggest he's trained, etc. But he does apparently sing in some bands. Besides, lots of contestants have had training, etc.

I decided to watch AGT tonight because of this guy, and I was reminded why I like this show, but also why I hate it. Four yes votes for the guy who swallows scissors? Was it interesting? Yes! But he's not going to win. It's not a marketable talent. It's a freak show.

Reactions: BradStevens
I decided to watch AGT tonight because of this guy, and I was reminded why I like this show, but also why I hate it. Four yes votes for the guy who swallows scissors? Was it interesting? Yes! But he's not going to win. It's not a marketable talent. It's a freak show.
Yes but remember when American Idol and AGT first came out? They deliberately made fun of people who had no talent. Thankfully they no longer do that. The novelty acts are there just for that.

And remember, Joey Chestnut makes almost 7 figures a year for swallowing crap.

My son played baseball last Sunday on a new adapted baseball field that has artificial turf for the grass and dirt areas. Even kids in wheel chairs can play on the fields. Plus, they are great for regular Little League games up to about age 12. Poured like crazy Sunday morning, but fields were ready for play less than an hour after the rain stopped. Fences on this particular field were kind of short, as some of the kids can put it over the fence. But, they have other fields just like this one with more typical Little League fences. Facility is Makino Park, in Mason, Ohio (Last photo is my son batting.)

GPFnMY0XcAApu1S

GPFXrllW4AAoTK2

GPFoWBKX0AAMKWr