ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State 2024

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
This is the second in a series of looks at the '25 prospects of IU's old BT foes. This time, Ohio State.

Projected rotation looks like:***

--6'3" Meechie Johnson, TR
--7'1" Aaron Bradshaw, TR
--6'2" Bruce Thornton
--6'6" Micah Parrish, TR
--6'6" Devin Royal
--6'6" Evan Mahaffey
--6'0" Juni Mobley, FR (top 45 or so)

Others who may challenge for time include Soph 6'4" Taison Chatman, who was a top 45 or so recruit last year. Other possible contributors are 6'10" Austin Parks and 6'6" FR Colin White.

Predictions: OSU is still looking for a transfer 2 guard shooter, but I don't see they are in on any top 30 guys there. Parrish from SD State appears to be a glue guy. Mobley looks like the PG back-up. I wonder if they are also looking for a back-up C, because Parks looks like that guy right now, and he played very little last year. They should finish behind Purdue & IU and likely in a group that includes Illinois, Michigan State, Michigan, Maryland, and, possibly Rutgers.

***Adding 6'9" Sean Stewart, Duke transfer

Last edited:
This is the second in a series of looks at the '25 prospects of IU's old BT foes. This time, Ohio State.

Projected rotation looks like:

--6'3" Meechie Johnson, TR
--7'1" Aaron Bradshaw, TR
--6'2" Bruce Thornton
--6'6" Micah Parrish, TR
--6'6" Devin Royal
--6'6" Evan Mahaffey
--6'0" Juni Mobley, FR (top 45 or so)

Others who may challenge for time include Soph 6'4" Taison Chatman, who was a top 45 or so recruit last year. Other possible contributors are 6'10" Austin Parks and 6'6" FR Colin White.

Predictions: OSU is still looking for a transfer 2 guard shooter, but I don't see they are in on any top 30 guys there. Parrish from SD State appears to be a glue guy. Mobley looks like the PG back-up. I wonder if they are also looking for a back-up C, because Parks looks like that guy right now, and he played very little last year. They should finish behind Purdue & IU and likely in a group that includes Illinois, Michigan State, Michigan, Maryland, and, possibly Rutgers.
As talented as our roster is looking...I caution anyone predicting that IU will challenge for a B10 title next year...which it sounds like you're saying they will in this post.

And I realize some might make predictions like that, with the motive of setting Woodson up to fail. But roster construction aside, none of his 3 teams have shown the proper level of discipline and execution that would allow for a team of any talent level to legitimately compete for a B10 title.

I'm quite a lot more excited about next season than I was a month or so ago. But there have been deeper issues on display with his teams than talent and roster construction.

As talented as our roster is looking...I caution anyone predicting that IU will challenge for a B10 title next year...which it sounds like you're saying they will in this post.

And I realize some might make predictions like that, with the motive of setting Woodson up to fail. But roster construction aside, none of his 3 teams have shown the proper level of discipline and execution that would allow for a team of any talent level to legitimately compete for a B10 title.

I'm quite a lot more excited about next season than I was a month or so ago. But there have been deeper issues on display with his teams than talent and roster construction.
"with the motive of setting Woodson up to fail."? Really? Woodson is what he is, and has been for the past 3 seasons. I think those with lofty expectations are sincere about it. I don't share that myself...because Woodson hasn't produced a tournament team that can be competitive in the tournament. No one is or has set Woodson up for failure except Woodson. Now....this "high risk/high reward" recruiting strategy (portal or bust) might just pay off. If it does....I'll admit I underestimated him. That hasn't happened yet.

Pretty wild listening to the Sleepers guys. They like what Woody's doing, but basically Greg, the UM guy, said he hopes we have a good year to keep IU from trying to get Dusty. They talked about what Dusty could've done with IU's NIL and even were saying they thought Dusty might get a NC... but not at UM, and mentioned IU or UK.

Agree, we have to acknowledge that Woody is still the coach.
Michigan, Illinois, MSU, OSU, PU will all be pretty good next year

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Why? I have seen you talk how bad of in game coach he is.
No, I said I hate his rotations.. it's a personal opinion only. I hated Creans rotations as much, and didn't think much of Millers. If I say I do like his OoB plays that doesn't mean I think he's great .. btw I do like his OoB plays .. and ATO plays.

Last edited:
No, I said I hate his rotations.. it's a personnel opinion only. I hated Creans rotations as much, and didn't think much of Millers. If I say I do like his OoB plays that doesn't mean I think he's great .. btw I do like his OoB plays ..
Woody gets blown out way too much for me to consider him a good game coach. Love for him to prove me wrong.

What, could he have gotten the number 1 group of transfers like Woodson did?

That guy is getting way too much undeserved praise...
Okie State, Ohio St, W Va,, Louisville and ultimately Michigan thought he was deserving. They all wanted him. Did Woodson get those transfers or did the cash? Either way....shouldn't he now be expected to do something with them?

Did Woodson get those transfers or did the cash?
Both. He gets credit regardless of the reason, because malcontent jackasses would blame him if he didn't get anyone . He and the staff f*cked up last year .. and got the blame for that f*ck up, daily and deservedly. Now he gets no credit what so ever for doing what everyone wanted him to do?

Pure hypocrisy ...

Woody gets blown out way too much for me to consider him a good game coach. Love for him to prove me wrong.
We'll see what he does with his first complete backcourt. FWIW I'm not into the coach fan coach hate bullshit ... I got over that dumbass dynamic after Crean.

It's beyond my control and a waste of time, thought and argument... I support the name on the front of the jersey, warts and all.

Both. He gets credit regardless of the reason, because malcontent jackasses would blame him if he didn't get anyone . He and the staff f*cked up last year .. and got the blame for that f*ck up, daily and deservedly. Now he gets no credit what so ever for doing what everyone wanted him to do?

Pure hypocrisy ...
Was building through the portal the plan you think?

Generally speaking I’d guess the plan was for Woody to be more portal heavy.

He came in right when the portal/NIL started and he didn’t have typical recruiting connections. I could see the group that hired Woody justifying that weakness with the thinking the portal/NIL would be the heavier focus in CBB going forward, and his background was fine or good for that.

Just a guess. Not saying I agree with that or not, simply thinking about what the plan was when he was hired.

The portal is Woodson last ditch effort thank god for the support he gets. But I think we should contend for a big ten championship and sweet sixteen or the 2025 season is a huge disappointment.

Reactions: bailey777

It isnt setting him up to fail unless you are basically admitting he is not a good coach and even with the top talent in the big ten should not be expected to challenge for the big ten title? When you have three five star players and this all world portal class you most certainly should have the expectation to challenge for the title.

Reactions: ndhuntington
It isnt setting him up to fail unless you are basically admitting he is not a good coach and even with the top talent in the big ten should not be expected to challenge for the big ten title? When you have three five star players and this all world portal class you most certainly should have the expectation to challenge for the title.
No clue if you're the one that has spouted that the best way to compete for B10 titles is through balanced roster construction, developing and keeping talent, etc... Like Purdue has done lately...

Not sure if you've posted that...but many have. IU will have the most talented roster in the conference. Its also the most balanced talent that Woodson has had at IU. But...he hasn't shown much of an ability to put out a cohesive, consistently good team. So when people make predictions that IU will compete for a B10 title...ehhh, I wonder how genuine those predictions are. Especially if they've said it can't be done by "paying for guys in the portal".

Same end result here...not a big deal. But there's a difference between saying it "should" happen, and predicting it "will" happen.

What, could he have gotten the number 1 group of transfers like Woodson did?

That guy is getting way too much undeserved praise...
Maybe, maybe not. He's gotten a pretty decent class, and sure sounds like UM doesn't have nearly the NIL resources as IU. They basically said they felt he'd have gotten the class we have, plus Johnell Davis. Who knows, he was also whooing McNeeley, so maybe we get him back? Another way to look at it is: do you think CMW gets their class if he's the newly hired UM coach?

I found it more interesting that they seemed to think DM will end up elsewhere and mentioned IU and UK. I think those guys have a pretty decent pulse on each schools NIL and that shows how important they view NIL. They were

Maybe, maybe not. He's gotten a pretty decent class, and sure sounds like UM doesn't have nearly the NIL resources as IU. They basically said they felt he'd have gotten the class we have, plus Johnell Davis. Who knows, he was also whooing McNeeley, so maybe we get him back? Another way to look at it is: do you think CMW gets their class if he's the newly hired UM coach?
I'm sure if we hired him he would fall down the steps and die.

and fwiw - the probability chance is lower but it could still be possible.. but I'm not Nostradumbass, are you?

He gets way too much hype for only having one good team especially by IU fans who love sucking him dry from the backend. He may be the next RMK, who knows, more likely he's the next Dan Monson.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I'm sure if we hired him he would fall down the steps and die.

and fwiw - the probability chance is lower but it could still be possible.. but I'm not Nostradumbass, are you?

He gets way too much hype for only having one good team especially by IU fans who love sucking him dry from the backend. He may be the next RMK, who knows, more likely he's the next Dan Monson.
have you ever considered or has a court ever ordered you to take an anger management course.

• Haha
Reactions: Zero Credibility
IU should deservedly (in my opinion) start top 3 in preseason polls and has (like you said) the talent to win the conference. Transfer turnover has this B1G season open season and it wouldn't surprise me if the Hoosiers capitalized.
Pretty wild listening to the Sleepers guys. They like what Woody's doing, but basically Greg, the UM guy, said he hopes we have a good year to keep IU from trying to get Dusty. They talked about what Dusty could've done with IU's NIL and even were saying they thought Dusty might get a NC... but not at UM, and mentioned IU or UK.
Michigan Man will talk up another Michigan Man. I don't think Dusty could put together the #1 transfer class at this point.
Almost assuredly. Portal is more important than high schoolers both for the sheer number of kids in it and they've at least proven something at the next level. It's easier to plug holes, especially when you have the extra money to incentivize players over schools offering similar opportunities. Speaking of NIL...
The portal is Woodson last ditch effort thank god for the support he gets. But I think we should contend for a big ten championship and sweet sixteen or the 2025 season is a huge disappointment.
Woody was hired 3 days before the Supreme Court heard the NIL case. I almost guarantee his hiring was with the knowledge that boosters would be able to legally give money to players. I think that's part of why he seems so arrogant a recruiter besides his ego in general. Rumored boosters want him there and will keep him flush.

Regardless, it's clearly working. #1 class a week before portal closes and 3 scholarships to still hand out. Goode is another 4* transfer and we're going to bring in at least 1 more. I think this is more of the plan than what happened last season. At least we have guards...

IU should deservedly (in my opinion) start top 3 in preseason polls and has (like you said) the talent to win the conference. Transfer turnover has this B1G season open season and it wouldn't surprise me if the Hoosiers capitalized.

Michigan Man will talk up another Michigan Man. I don't think Dusty could put together the #1 transfer class at this point.

Almost assuredly. Portal is more important than high schoolers both for the sheer number of kids in it and they've at least proven something at the next level. It's easier to plug holes, especially when you have the extra money to incentivize players over schools offering similar opportunities. Speaking of NIL...

Woody was hired 3 days before the Supreme Court heard the NIL case. I almost guarantee his hiring was with the knowledge that boosters would be able to legally give money to players. I think that's part of why he seems so arrogant a recruiter besides his ego in general. Rumored boosters want him there and will keep him flush.

Regardless, it's clearly working. #1 class a week before portal closes and 3 scholarships to still hand out. Goode is another 4* transfer and we're going to bring in at least 1 more. I think this is more of the plan than what happened last season. At least we have guards...
Portal is the bigger gamble. Character, chemistry and motivation are potential issues

Portal is the bigger gamble. Character, chemistry and motivation are potential issues
No way portal is a bigger gamble than high schoolers. All of those are a concern with a freshman as well. I'd rather have a known commodity like PAC-12 Freshman of the Year and another First Team All PAC-12 who are ready to buy in. Fitting on the team is what you trust the coach (no matter who it is) with to make these decisions. IU has had more freshman fails than transfer busts.

No way portal is a bigger gamble than high schoolers. All of those are a concern with a freshman as well. I'd rather have a known commodity like PAC-12 Freshman of the Year and another First Team All PAC-12 who are ready to buy in. Fitting on the team is what you trust the coach (no matter who it is) with to make these decisions. IU has had more freshman fails than transfer busts.
I disagree but that’s fine

They were saying imagine if Dusty was at IU with our NIL. You don't think he'd have gotten this same class? I guess the key was probably Yasir, with his ATL connections with both Rice and Carlyle, but even if he didn't get 1 of them, I also think you could easily sub in Johnell Davis who was probably ranked higher. Doesn't really matter, but I think given what he's done so quickly at UM, he'd have had a class similar or even better than what we have now. The more interesting point to me was that they basically were saying if he doesn't flame out at UM, they think he'll end up elsewhere and that IU was still a possible destination. That was interesting to me.

HS is limited to players graduating from HS and entering college.

Portal is any college player of any age that you can poach. It is a much wider universe of talent. Perhaps I am cynical but imho many of the players entering the portal were induced into it, and know their likely landing spot before they enter.

In the end this should be a scenario where money wins out, and CBB results closely mirror the money (which the portal is part of). I don’t know how a team with a $100k nil (that is being poached) could ever beat a team with a $10mil NIL (that can poach whoever they want). But, we haven’t exactly a seen that play out yet. I wish it would stay that way, but I’m saddened by the reality that the differences in money with top teams is so stark that money has to win out in the end.

Can a team win at the highest level doing it the old school way? Probably not. But, I don’t see how one couldn’t root for a team like that, and root for the Kentuckys of the world to implode.

This is a very spot on (if not sore) subject. Chemistry takes time...and motivation the tips the scales toward 5 individuals and away from team is a real risk and liability....especially when multiple players are jockeying for NBA position. While its true its a national issue...dependency varies team to team. Some have wants, some have needs. We know where IU stands right now.

Reactions: bsmitty08
This is a very spot on (if not sore) subject. Chemistry takes time...and motivation the tips the scales toward 5 individuals and away from team is a real risk and liability....especially when multiple players are jockeying for NBA position. While its true its a national issue...dependency varies team to team. Some have wants, some have needs. We know where IU stands right now.
I think ultimately the "best practice" is going to prove itself to be teams that fill most of their class with good high school players and then address needs through the portal. But, overall, I think the portal is the lesser gamble because you're talking about players who are more of a known commodity at the college level because they've played at least a year. Look at all the promising freshmen we've had over the years who didn't pan out. Even Ware, who underperformed as a college freshman or just didn't have the opportunity, you still knew what you were getting: a supremely talented player who needed to be motivated. UCONN this past year is an example that portal guys can come in and play important roles and buy in to a system and develop chemistry. I don't think overall getting most of your team through the portal will work, but I am hopeful about our squad this year because we have a pretty good returning core and sounds like our seniors have been at the head of recruiting these new players which I think will help chemistry a ton. Then you have MR and MM who are returning as players likely to be starters, so there is a base to build around.

HS is limited to players graduating from HS and entering college.

Portal is any college player of any age that you can poach. It is a much wider universe of talent. Perhaps I am cynical but imho many of the players entering the portal were induced into it, and know their likely landing spot before they enter.

In the end this should be a scenario where money wins out, and CBB results closely mirror the money (which the portal is part of). I don’t know how a team with a $100k nil (that is being poached) could ever beat a team with a $10mil NIL (that can poach whoever they want). But, we haven’t exactly a seen that play out yet. I wish it would stay that way, but I’m saddened by the reality that the differences in money with top teams is so stark that money has to win out in the end.

Can a team win at the highest level doing it the old school way? Probably not. But, I don’t see how one couldn’t root for a team like that, and root for the Kentuckys of the world to implode.
You still have to recruit a “team”. Hiring 1 year hired guns that has no allegiance to the name on the jersey and is only there because the school was the highest bidder probably doesn’t end well.

I think ultimately the "best practice" is going to prove itself to be teams that fill most of their class with good high school players and then address needs through the portal. But, overall, I think the portal is the lesser gamble because you're talking about players who are more of a known commodity at the college level because they've played at least a year. Look at all the promising freshmen we've had over the years who didn't pan out. Even Ware, who underperformed as a college freshman or just didn't have the opportunity, you still knew what you were getting: a supremely talented player who needed to be motivated. UCONN this past year is an example that portal guys can come in and play important roles and buy in to a system and develop chemistry. I don't think overall getting most of your team through the portal will work, but I am hopeful about our squad this year because we have a pretty good returning core and sounds like our seniors have been at the head of recruiting these new players which I think will help chemistry a ton. Then you have MR and MM who are returning as players likely to be starters, so there is a base to build around.
Yes but is the role the same at the new school? If a kid goes from the leading scorer/shot taker to the third option but got paid. How does that chemistry work? I think best practice will be recruit and develop and fill holes with portal

Reactions: Irregulars
The flip side of this is that coaches have a clear view of a player to assess prior to bringing them in. The transition from HS to college play is a big one and HS players are much more of an unknown.

IU coaches were well aware of the issues that Ware had and determined that they were something they could overcome.

You still have to recruit a “team”. Hiring 1 year hired guns that has no allegiance to the name on the jersey and is only there because the school was the highest bidder probably doesn’t end well.
I hope you are right, but there are no salary caps. Can the Lowest payroll team win a World Series over the highest, because they have more of a team? Sure. Can the Goshen Petros beat the Yankees? No. This may seem like too extreme of an example but compare the money of OSU football to a Ball State. Even if the OSU football team are all mercenaries they aren’t losing to BSU.

I hope you are right, but there are no salary caps. Can the Lowest payroll team win a World Series over the highest, because they have more of a team? Sure. Can the Goshen Petros beat the Yankees? No. This may seem like too extreme of an example but compare the money of OSU football to a Ball State. Even if the OSU football team are all mercenaries they aren’t losing to BSU.
I hope you are right, but there are no salary caps. Can the Lowest payroll team win a World Series over the highest, because they have more of a team? Sure. Can the Goshen Petros beat the Yankees? No. This may seem like too extreme of an example but compare the money of OSU football to a Ball State. Even if the OSU football team are all mercenaries they aren’t losing to BS
Yankees keep losing to the Rays and orioles. Brewers in playoffs over Cubs, Suns barely make playoffs after getting Durant, Beal added to Booker. “Teams that were drafted work better. Celtics drafted Tatum, Brown and built around them. Denver same story.

Yankees keep losing to the Rays and orioles. Brewers in playoffs over Cubs, Suns barely make playoffs after getting Durant, Beal added to Booker. “Teams that were drafted work better. Celtics drafted Tatum, Brown and built around them. Denver same story.
The Yankees could never lose to a team with a $20,000 total payroll though. Not even to a team with a million dollar team payroll.

College has no salary cap, no luxury tax, nothing designed to create anything resembling parity.

The Yankees could never lose to a team with a $20,000 total payroll though. Not even to a team with a million dollar team payroll.

College has no salary cap, no luxury tax, nothing designed to create anything resembling parity.
Oakland just beat UK.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT