ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Hype Media

number 1 looks like Rob Phinisee, seems like he was here 20 years ago but hasn't been gone long at all, he will always have the Purdue game his 1 shining moment.
Never the same after the concussion

Still hard to believe a 90% free throw shooter in high school could regress that much. How does your free throw go to shit?

Last edited:
In 20 years I might have seen 5 people sleeping on the streets in Atlanta. You see panhandlers on the exits and street corners now and then. There are a few “camps” that you pretty much have to know where they are to see them. It’s weird that the homeless are a walking hazard on Michigan Ave. I wouldn’t have thought that.
Wrong forum as usual for you. I can’t imagine what it’s like to not be able to post in the correct forum.

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Glad you and yours made it through the storm. I have a hard time imagining the whole scenario with the plastics factory but if you gotta put food on the table and your boss tells you to stay…
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I work with a very large company based in Arden, which is a suburb of Asheville, but across the river. I think both of the main roads to their plant are not passable. One, the bridge is out and the other runs right along the river and is washed out. And they don't have water or electricity from what I know. We are supposed to be doing a good sized project for them at a new facility and I haven't hard anything from anyone this week. One of the main Asheville substations was submerged and they trucked in 2 large substations, and 1 replaced the damaged one in Asheville and the other they are sending to Hot Springs, which is the little town I wrote about in another thread. I should be up there in the next couple weeks to volunteer. Gonna be a long recovery period. I'm in a FB group for Appalachian Trail hikers and my guess is the entire 2025 season will be a wash for the southern third of the AT.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I work with a very large company based in Arden, which is a suburb of Asheville, but across the river. I think both of the main roads to their plant are not passable. One, the bridge is out and the other runs right along the river and is washed out. And they don't have water or electricity from what I know. We are supposed to be doing a good sized project for them at a new facility and I haven't hard anything from anyone this week. One of the main Asheville substations was submerged and they trucked in 2 large substations, and 1 replaced the damaged one in Asheville and the other they are sending to Hot Springs, which is the little town I wrote about in another thread. I should be up there in the next couple weeks to volunteer. Gonna be a long recovery period. I'm in a FB group for Appalachian Trail hikers and my guess is the entire 2025 season will be a wash for the southern third of the AT.
I thru-hiked in 1999, and have been back to the area multiple times since. Erwin, Hot Springs, Damascus...my favorite trail towns got wrecked. Such a sad situation. Went to Trail Days this year for the 25th anniversary of our hike, hope these communities can eventually come back stronger.

I thru-hiked in 1999, and have been back to the area multiple times since. Erwin, Hot Springs, Damascus...my favorite trail towns got wrecked. Such a sad situation. Went to Trail Days this year for the 25th anniversary of our hike, hope these communities can eventually come back stronger.
I stayed in a cool airbnb in Erwin on the Nolichucky River about 6 weeks ago on a trip to Johnson City TN. I checked with the owner and he said both of his cabins floated away and he and his wife had to be airlifted off their roof by helicopter. The Nolichucky is formed by the N Toe River, S Toe River and Cane River flowing out of NC, between Asheville and Boone, and then it heads southwest to Erwin TN. Honestly, I think that was the hardest hit area just in terms of destruction for a whole area and there are a lot of hard to reach spots up there. My personal guess is that the death toll is going to climb exponentially as they get back up into those coves and hollers. I heard a high water rescuer say the National Guard had marked 60 spots as potential deaths in a 6 mile stretch of the river.

• Sad
Reactions: hookyIU1990
I stayed in a cool airbnb in Erwin on the Nolichucky River about 6 weeks ago on a trip to Johnson City TN. I checked with the owner and he said both of his cabins floated away and he and his wife had to be airlifted off their roof by helicopter. The Nolichucky is formed by the N Toe River, S Toe River and Cane River flowing out of NC, between Asheville and Boone, and then it heads southwest to Erwin TN. Honestly, I think that was the hardest hit area just in terms of destruction for a whole area and there are a lot of hard to reach spots up there. My personal guess is that the death toll is going to climb exponentially as they get back up into those coves and hollers. I heard a high water rescuer say the National Guard had marked 60 spots as potential deaths in a 6 mile stretch of the river.
Is it true the federal government isn’t helping much?

Is it true the federal government isn’t helping much?
I think it's false, but I'm not there, and can't say for sure. You have a huge group of people who have 1 thought and it's not helping people in NC in October, it's helping someone else in November. What I've seen are many military vehicles, planes and helicopters and National Guardsmen and soldiers off loading supplies and equipment. I would guess their main focus is on supply and delivery of goods and keeping the distribution points stocked and they seem to be doing that, along with engineering and repair. From there it seems to be locals supporting locals and that makes sense because they know where the folks are in their communities that need help. That to me seems to be working. The last flood like this, and I don't think it was this bad, was 1916, so I don't know what peoples expectations are on how fast federal resources could respond and reach these areas. They're not expecting to have to deliver such huge amounts of aid and resources to the mountains of TN and NC from hurricanes, and with all roads, infrastructure and communications depleted, it's not gonna happen overnight. The woman I mentioned who said that the National Guard had identified a bunch of possible corpses is way up on the Toe River in NC (if you want to look at a map, the area around Poplar, Relief and Green Mountain NC) and those were tough spots to reach before the hurricane. Frankly I was shocked to hear her say the NG had reached them and were searching river bottoms, but almost assuredly they got there by helicopter. From my armchair in Charlotte, it seems to me that resources are getting out into very hard to reach places pretty well overall. But, yes, the person feeding or aiding those up in those hard to reach places might be locals and not federal people or soldiers for now. And, locals are doing a ton too. My Costco has been out of water for over a week when I visit. I'm hoping to get there early this week so I can take water with me this weekend. This is a totally different undertaking than aiding people in cities like New Orleans or Tampa affected by hurricanes. And, my view of the response from Charlotte/Rock Hill where I never lost power, water or cell service might be totally different than someone in Black Mountain who's had none of that for over a week and just wants to know her parents up in some cabin near Poplar NC are OK.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.

You can always count on the local NG and Salvation Army to do what they can.

Indiana is a relatively benign place to live for epic disasters compared to the rest of the country. Tornado outbreaks once in a while and localized flooding on occasion is about it.

Thanks for replying.

You can always count on the local NG and Salvation Army to do what they can.

Indiana is a relatively benign place to live for epic disasters compared to the rest of the country. Tornado outbreaks once in a while and localized flooding on occasion is about it.
That's a big part of it too. The only place that could feasibly be "local" to this area for something like the Natl Guard is really Asheville. The areas being mentioned, like Spruce Pine, and the towns I mentioned over to Erwin TN are remote and the roads are largely gone or blocked. 40W out of Asheville over to Knoxville is supposed to be closed for a year, and 26W to Johnson City for 6 months. You can get to Asheville from 26E and now from 40E, but 40E just opened this week. And, that only gets you to Asheville. The area around Asheville over to Erwin TN and then over to Hickory/Morganton is all fairly remote and hard to reach. Fortunately it's not hugely populated, but that doesn't matter if that's where your loved ones are.

Yeah. I should have said state NG.
I guess my point is: both can be right. Federal gov't, resources and military could be doing a ton, and it still might not feel like that if you're up in those more isolated communities. But, I've seen military personnel in Hot Springs, Marshall, Black Mountain, Swannanoa, Spruce Pine, etc... so they are getting up there.

I took a look at FEMA responsibilities (never looked at the federal fema docs before) and it all seems kinda vague to me so I guess they have a lot of latitude but here is what DoD approved for NC at the request of FEMA-

So looks like substantial military resources as you noted.

I took a look at FEMA responsibilities (never looked at the federal fema docs before) and it all seems kinda vague to me so I guess they have a lot of latitude but here is what DoD approved for NC at the request of FEMA-

So looks like substantial military resources as you noted.
yeah, the people spouting about FEMA, gov't response, etc... have an agenda, imo, and aren't trying to report accurately on what's going on. I don't believe FEMA is confiscating supplies, running off volunteers or interested in confiscating property for a $750 aid check. Now, they may have to sort of enact "eminent domain" to utilize areas like a parking lot, hangar, warehouse, field or roads to get helicopters and trucks, etc... in and out of, but I don't believe the other stuff.

Went kayaking on the nolichuky years ago. Late 90s. Those areas hit are pretty remote and easily missed etc…too bad these disasters are full of political lies and used to push elections. Plus people are just crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT