ADVERTISEMENT

Official DNC covention thread

I sometimes wonder if the undying loyalty and support of Trump is some sort of weird trauma/self-loathing response. The is no debate about whether or not he's screwed people over, ripped people off, and generally lied is ass off for decades. There is an avalanche of proof for all of that and it's not worth arguing about.

I feel like some people who have bought such grand lies and found themselves to be so supremely duped can't come to terms with it which is why they feel like they have to defend him. To do anything else and acknowledge what is staring them in the face makes them confront their own weak-mindedness. Hence the MAGA cult.
Kelly for sure. Lifelong politicians. No. Why do you believe Harris? All she does is lie. National ban on abortion? Lying through her teeth. She’s a lifelong politician. Politicians lie. Physician heal thyself.

OK - disregard Kelly's comments. What about the sampling of the other 23 people on this list. Are they all liars too? :

1. His vice president, Mike Pence: “The American people deserve to know that President Trump asked me to put him over my oath to the Constitution. … Anyone who puts himself over the Constitution should never be president of the United States.”

2. His second attorney general, Bill Barr: “Someone who engaged in that kind of bullying about a process that is fundamental to our system and to our self-government shouldn’t be anywhere near the Oval Office.”

3. His first secretary of defense, James Mattis: “Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people – does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us.”

4. His second secretary of defense, Mark Esper: “I think he’s unfit for office. … He puts himself before country. His actions are all about him and not about the country. And then, of course, I believe he has integrity and character issues as well.”

5. His chairman of the joint chiefs, retired Gen. Mark Milley, seemed to invoke Trump: “We don’t take an oath to a wannabe dictator. We take an oath to the Constitution and we take an oath to the idea that is America – and we’re willing to die to protect it.”

6. His first secretary of state, Rex Tillerson: “(Trump’s) understanding of global events, his understanding of global history, his understanding of US history was really limited. It’s really hard to have a conversation with someone who doesn’t even understand the concept for why we’re talking about this.”

7. His first ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley: “He used to be good on foreign policy and now he has started to walk it back and get weak in the knees when it comes to Ukraine. A terrible thing happened on January 6 and he called it a beautiful day.”

8. His presidential transition vice-chairman, Chris Christie: “Someone who I would argue now is just out for himself.”

9. His second national security adviser, HR McMaster: “We saw the absence of leadership, really anti-leadership, and what that can do to our country.”

10. His third national security adviser, John Bolton: “I believe (foreign leaders) think he is a laughing fool.”

11. His second chief of staff, John Kelly: “A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law. There is nothing more that can be said. God help us.”

12. His former acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, who resigned as US special envoy to Ireland after January 6, 2021: “I quit because I think he failed at being the president when we needed him to be that.”

13. One of his many former communications directors, Anthony Scaramucci: “He is the domestic terrorist of the 21st century.”

14. Another former communications director, Stephanie Grisham: “I am terrified of him running in 2024.”

15. His secretary of education, Betsy DeVos, who resigned after January 6: “When I saw what was happening on January 6 and didn’t see the president step in and do what he could have done to turn it back or slow it down or really address the situation, it was just obvious to me that I couldn’t continue.”

16. His secretary of transportation, Elaine Chao, who resigned after January 6: “At a particular point the events were such that it was impossible for me to continue, given my personal values and my philosophy.

17. His first secretary of the Navy, Richard Spencer: “…the president has very little understanding of what it means to be in the military, to fight ethically or to be governed by a uniform set of rules and practices.”

18. His first homeland security adviser, Tom Bossert: “The President undermined American democracy baselessly for months. As a result, he’s culpable for this siege, and an utter disgrace.”

19. His former personal lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen: “Donald’s an idiot.”

20. His White House lawyer, Ty Cobb: “Trump relentlessly puts forth claims that are not true.”

21. A former director of strategic communications, Alyssa Farah Griffin, who is now a CNN political commentator: “We can stand by the policies, but at this point we cannot stand by the man.”

22. A top aide in charge of his outreach to African Americans, Omarosa Manigault Newman: “Donald Trump, who would attack civil rights icons and professional athletes, who would go after grieving black widows, who would say there were good people on both sides, who endorsed an accused child molester; Donald Trump, and his decisions and his behavior, was harming the country. I could no longer be a part of this madness.”

23. A former deputy press secretary, Sarah Matthews, who resigned after January 6: “I thought that he did do a lot of good during his four years. I think that his actions on January 6 and the lead-up to it, the way that he’s acted in the aftermath, and his continuation of pushing this lie that the election is stolen has made him wholly unfit to hold office every again.”

24. His final chief of staff’s aide, Cassidy Hutchinson: “I think that Donald Trump is the most grave threat we will face to our democracy in our lifetime, and potentially in American history.”
This will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes. It's an emotional thing they have for Trump, not rational.

I've been watching conventions since Jr High. I've only watched this one via videos after the fact, but some of the Dem moves have been brilliant. I thought originally they made a strategic mistake by holding the show in a safe state like IL, rather than say a battleground like MI or PA with Detroit or Philly resp.

But Chicago was definitely the right choice. The UC appears huge on tv, and it's filled nightly with energized excited people. Having KH make the surprise appearance on Mon night was a stroke of genius. I can't remember a nominee ever showing on the floor on Mon night before, and it just made for fantastic optics...

And speaking of optics, the rally in WI illustrates why the choice of Chicago was such a wise decision.Usually the nominees are content to take most of the week off until they gaive their respective VP and POTUS acceptance speeches on Wed and Thur night. But the move to have both KH and Coach appear at a huge rally in Milwaukee Tues night was a well coorodinated operation that served a variety of useful purposes and the main reason it was successful was that the DNC chose Chicago...

First off it not only blunted Trump's attempt to siphon off attention with his little (operative term) swing state series of meet and greets, but doing it in the same Mil arena as where the Trump convention was held offered a stark contrast. It was an optimum use of time and oppty because it wasn't just an offnight rally. Rather it was a showstopping rally in a key battleground state that millions of people witnessed on national media. And it was not somewhere far away, that would disrupt the candidates schedules but was just 90 min or so away which allowed for a pretty seamless juxtaposition...

Also the fact that on one night KH/Tim Walz spoke to about 35,000 or so people on national tv in front of millions has to be eating Trump alive. Not only does Trump lie and exaggerate crowd size, but there are multiple videos available showing hundreds/thousands of people exiting his rallies while his voice drones on in the background.

While KH/TW would likely have difficulty filling an arena with 35,000 people at one time, utilizing the oppty to combine venues and accomplish basically the same goal is just a huge plus. They will already get a huge buzz from the crowd at the UC, but every local station in Milwaukee (and thruout WI) will add to the hype by blasting video of people in Milwaukee waiting hours for a chnce to get inside the Forum.

It's as if the DNC was actually being held in Milwaukee,rather than Chicago. Candidates make trips and hold rallies to elicit hype and earn votes. And based on WHEN it occurred, when the media spotlight was already shining on the Dems big week, it's like a double dose of priceless media attention in a key state like WI.

I know a lot of the talking heads are predicting that the Dems already got their "post convention bounce" and there's no more they can gain. But I disagree, and I predict America will fall in love with Coach Walz after tonight...

I don’t get your reasoning. This isn’t 1960.

Philadelphia and Detroit both have basketball arenas of similar size to the U C.

Air travel from Philly or Detroit to Milwaukee are simple, quick matters.

Last edited:
Kelly for sure. Lifelong politicians. No. Why do you believe Harris? All she does is lie. National ban on abortion? Lying through her teeth. She’s a lifelong politician. Politicians lie. Physician heal thyself.
I think a certain level of skepticism is baked into listening to politicians. That said, Trump is on a level the likes of which we've never seen. And people who have worked with him have called him out like no other person has been called out as a liar, with the exception of George Santos.

Trying to compare Trump's compulsive lying and scamming with any modern politician is like trying to compare a B-12 stealth bomber to a head of cauliflower.

I think a certain level of skepticism is baked into listening to politicians. That said, Trump is on a level the likes of which we've never seen. And people who have worked with him have called him out like no other person has been called out as a liar, with the exception of George Santos.

Trying to compare Trump's compulsive lying and scamming with any modern politician is like trying to compare a B-12 stealth bomber to a head of cauliflower.
I disagree. On a national issue like abortion to go online and just lie through your teeth. Despicable. I don’t see any difference. She’s lying to every American about an issue that is deeply important and personal to people

OK - disregard Kelly's comments. What about the sampling of the other 23 people on this list. Are they all liars too? :

1. His vice president, Mike Pence: “The American people deserve to know that President Trump asked me to put him over my oath to the Constitution. … Anyone who puts himself over the Constitution should never be president of the United States.”

2. His second attorney general, Bill Barr: “Someone who engaged in that kind of bullying about a process that is fundamental to our system and to our self-government shouldn’t be anywhere near the Oval Office.”

3. His first secretary of defense, James Mattis: “Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people – does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us.”

4. His second secretary of defense, Mark Esper: “I think he’s unfit for office. … He puts himself before country. His actions are all about him and not about the country. And then, of course, I believe he has integrity and character issues as well.”

5. His chairman of the joint chiefs, retired Gen. Mark Milley, seemed to invoke Trump: “We don’t take an oath to a wannabe dictator. We take an oath to the Constitution and we take an oath to the idea that is America – and we’re willing to die to protect it.”

6. His first secretary of state, Rex Tillerson: “(Trump’s) understanding of global events, his understanding of global history, his understanding of US history was really limited. It’s really hard to have a conversation with someone who doesn’t even understand the concept for why we’re talking about this.”

7. His first ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley: “He used to be good on foreign policy and now he has started to walk it back and get weak in the knees when it comes to Ukraine. A terrible thing happened on January 6 and he called it a beautiful day.”

8. His presidential transition vice-chairman, Chris Christie: “Someone who I would argue now is just out for himself.”

9. His second national security adviser, HR McMaster: “We saw the absence of leadership, really anti-leadership, and what that can do to our country.”

10. His third national security adviser, John Bolton: “I believe (foreign leaders) think he is a laughing fool.”

11. His second chief of staff, John Kelly: “A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law. There is nothing more that can be said. God help us.”

12. His former acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, who resigned as US special envoy to Ireland after January 6, 2021: “I quit because I think he failed at being the president when we needed him to be that.”

13. One of his many former communications directors, Anthony Scaramucci: “He is the domestic terrorist of the 21st century.”

14. Another former communications director, Stephanie Grisham: “I am terrified of him running in 2024.”

15. His secretary of education, Betsy DeVos, who resigned after January 6: “When I saw what was happening on January 6 and didn’t see the president step in and do what he could have done to turn it back or slow it down or really address the situation, it was just obvious to me that I couldn’t continue.”

16. His secretary of transportation, Elaine Chao, who resigned after January 6: “At a particular point the events were such that it was impossible for me to continue, given my personal values and my philosophy.

17. His first secretary of the Navy, Richard Spencer: “…the president has very little understanding of what it means to be in the military, to fight ethically or to be governed by a uniform set of rules and practices.”

18. His first homeland security adviser, Tom Bossert: “The President undermined American democracy baselessly for months. As a result, he’s culpable for this siege, and an utter disgrace.”

20. His White House lawyer, Ty Cobb: “Trump relentlessly puts forth claims that are not true.”

21. A former director of strategic communications, Alyssa Farah Griffin, who is now a CNN political commentator: “We can stand by the policies, but at this point we cannot stand by the man.”

22. A top aide in charge of his outreach to African Americans, Omarosa Manigault Newman: “Donald Trump, who would attack civil rights icons and professional athletes, who would go after grieving black widows, who would say there were good people on both sides, who endorsed an accused child molester; Donald Trump, and his decisions and his behavior, was harming the country. I could no longer be a part of this madness.”

23. A former deputy press secretary, Sarah Matthews, who resigned after January 6: “I thought that he did do a lot of good during his four years. I think that his actions on January 6 and the lead-up to it, the way that he’s acted in the aftermath, and his continuation of pushing this lie that the election is stolen has made him wholly unfit to hold office every again.”

24. His final chief of staff’s aide, Cassidy Hutchinson: “I think that Donald Trump is the most grave threat we will face to our democracy in our lifetime, and potentially in American history.”
He isn't here to make friends.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
He isn't here to make friends.

Nice try, but the people I listed from the article I linked weren't holdovers. They were part of his 'very best people' group he promised to bring in. They're all people who worked directly with him during his first term. And all of them think he's an incompetent moron who doesn't belong anywhere near the Oval Office.

To try and conflate this with him trying to talk tough about demanding resignations from people who probably already are out of their previous jobs anyway - or would be because of the changing of an administration - is weak sauce.

Typical rational Republican:

bruce-pearl-painted-chestjpg-71a74312df39a1f4.jpg

I disagree. On a national issue like abortion to go online and just lie through your teeth. Despicable. I don’t see any difference. She’s lying to every American about an issue that is deeply important and personal to people
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you weren't familiar with Donald J. Trump. You should google him. Dude lies more than he breathes.

I've been watching conventions since Jr High. I've only watched this one via videos after the fact, but some of the Dem moves have been brilliant. I thought originally they made a strategic mistake by holding the show in a safe state like IL, rather than say a battleground like MI or PA with Detroit or Philly resp.

But Chicago was definitely the right choice. The UC appears huge on tv, and it's filled nightly with energized excited people. Having KH make the surprise appearance on Mon night was a stroke of genius. I can't remember a nominee ever showing on the floor on Mon night before, and it just made for fantastic optics...

And speaking of optics, the rally in WI illustrates why the choice of Chicago was such a wise decision.Usually the nominees are content to take most of the week off until they gaive their respective VP and POTUS acceptance speeches on Wed and Thur night. But the move to have both KH and Coach appear at a huge rally in Milwaukee Tues night was a well coorodinated operation that served a variety of useful purposes and the main reason it was successful was that the DNC chose Chicago...

First off it not only blunted Trump's attempt to siphon off attention with his little (operative term) swing state series of meet and greets, but doing it in the same Mil arena as where the Trump convention was held offered a stark contrast. It was an optimum use of time and oppty because it wasn't just an offnight rally. Rather it was a showstopping rally in a key battleground state that millions of people witnessed on national media. And it was not somewhere far away, that would disrupt the candidates schedules but was just 90 min or so away which allowed for a pretty seamless juxtaposition...

Also the fact that on one night KH/Tim Walz spoke to about 35,000 or so people on national tv in front of millions has to be eating Trump alive. Not only does Trump lie and exaggerate crowd size, but there are multiple videos available showing hundreds/thousands of people exiting his rallies while his voice drones on in the background.

While KH/TW would likely have difficulty filling an arena with 35,000 people at one time, utilizing the oppty to combine venues and accomplish basically the same goal is just a huge plus. They will already get a huge buzz from the crowd at the UC, but every local station in Milwaukee (and thruout WI) will add to the hype by blasting video of people in Milwaukee waiting hours for a chnce to get inside the Forum.

It's as if the DNC was actually being held in Milwaukee,rather than Chicago. Candidates make trips and hold rallies to elicit hype and earn votes. And based on WHEN it occurred, when the media spotlight was already shining on the Dems big week, it's like a double dose of priceless media attention in a key state like WI.

I know a lot of the talking heads are predicting that the Dems already got their "post convention bounce" and there's no more they can gain. But I disagree, and I predict America will fall in love with Coach Walz after tonight...

lmao @Mark Milton already wants to give him a hug. Maybe you guys could get together for a group hug!

So Trump came into politics with a leg up, He got the lying part down years ago in business and when he became a politician it went into overdrive.

Please give exact quote about abortion that shows she is lying through her teeth

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you weren't familiar with Donald J. Trump. You should google him. Dude lies more than he breathes.
I’m sorry your news feed filters out information. Harris lies more than she breathes, on matters of public policy that impact voters

It’s like they’re still using Democratic talking points from 2004. “Trumps going to cut social security and Medicare”, “Trumps gonna pass a national abortion ban”.

Get with the times people. Trump couldn’t be clearer on both these issues.

Reactions: DANC
It’s like they’re still using Democratic talking points from 2004. “Trumps going to cut social security and Medicare”, “Trumps gonna pass a national abortion ban”.

Trump could not be any clearer on both these issues
It’s unreal

And remember. Up there in Jupiter you have to be careful. Those pigs become feral. Get your hog fed regularly. And stop lying. School teachers with puss pits riding on the sidewalk are in zero demand
What do you think about 5.1 yields on Treasury bills? Seems really high. Both Trump and Biden (i.e. Republicans and Democrats) contributed to that.

I don’t think hard core pro-lifers are aware Trump has changed his stance from increased federal restrictions on abortions, and entertaining a ban after 16 weeks, to being OK with abortion on demand until birth in any state that wants to allow it. That’s what the Harris campaign should emphasize rather than this federal abortion ban thing which is not Trump’s position. Sure it is a goal of a portion of the MAGA faction, but not Trump’s. Trump has given up on the issue.

Last edited:
The fact you find Trump to be more trustworthy than Kelly says it all. Kelly has more integrity in his little toe than Trump does in his 300# body.
Trump supposedly made those comments in front of other people. I don't have to believe Trump - I can believe the other people who were there who said Trump never said it

Last edited:

And women won't be held down!!! It's like they're living in the 50s.

Reactions: snarlcakes

And yet, many of those have said they'd vote for Trump over Kamala. Trump fires people for non-performance. It's not surprising they would bad-mouth him now.

Here are a partial list of Democrats who wanted Biden to step down while you said you'd still vote for him. Pardon me if I laugh hysterically at your judgement of character.

Trump supposedly made those comments in front of other people. I don't ahve to believe Trump - I can believe the other people who were there who said Trump never said it
Liar. You linked some people who said they didn’t hear it, but were in no position to hear it. Basically they’re people like you.

I’m sorry your news feed filters out information. Harris lies more than she breathes, on matters of public policy that impact voters
30,578 lies and untruths trump told from January 2017 until he left office.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_or_misleading_statements_by_Donald_Trump. The source documents are linked.

That's a big deal.

All that being said, politicians lie-that's what they do. And they don't care about us, our families or our friends.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
lmao @Mark Milton already wants to give him a hug. Maybe you guys could get together for a group hug!
He's probably the best speaker of all four Pres, VP candidates. And he talks naturally, like a normal person, unlike Shapiro and his obvious attempt to copy Obama's style and cadence.

I'm not sure how much it matters. Maybe his persona will act to normalize Harris's progressive policy positions?

Good grief the way we pick the people who will determine the fate of our country is stupid.

And yet, many of those have said they'd vote for Trump over Kamala. Trump fires people for non-performance. It's not surprising they would bad-mouth him now.

Here are a partial list of Democrats who wanted Biden to step down while you said you'd still vote for him. Pardon me if I laugh hysterically at your judgement of character.

Over half of his former cabinet and staff that have gone on the record about it said they will not vote for him. Trump had a historically high staff turnover rate of 92 percent. Cabinet turnover rate was over 60 percent, also historically high. Those aren’t the kind of numbers you’d get from loyal supporters. They know he’s unfit.

Last edited:
He's probably the best speaker of all four Pres, VP candidates. And he talks naturally, like a normal person, unlike Shapiro and his obvious attempt to copy Obama's style and cadence.

I'm not sure how much it matters. Maybe his persona will act to normalize Harris's progressive policy positions?

Good grief the way we pick the people who will determine the fate of our country is stupid.
Yes, he's an excellent speaker. No doubt about that. He sounds good, until you start looking at his record. And he's very progressive, although they're trying to sell him as something else.

According to the polls Joe Biden won both debates with Trump in 2020. JOE BIDEN! ;) I wouldn't bet much on Trump this time around.
Trump just gave a speech behind bulletproof glass. Does this mean he is thinking about the border and economy or something else?

Wait - WTF are you trying to say here?

Seriously, are you trying to compare a list of Democrats who thought Biden should step down - something he did end up doing and something I agreed with - to a lengthy list of people who worked closely with Trump calling him a moron?

In essence, I suppose you're kind of right. Both groups are essentially saying that the candidate at the top of their respective presidential ticket should have stepped down. The difference is that Democrats were saying respectfully that it's time for Biden to step down instead of calling him an idiotic moron who was often the dumbest person in the room.

Again, both groups are/were spot on in their statements about Biden and Trump respectively, so maybe your comparison has more merit than I thought. It was time for Biden to step down and Trump is an unqualified idiotic moron who is objectively bad for the future of the country. Thanks for helping me clarify my thinking on this topic.

His cabinet is running the country, and not all that well.

I am not sure he gets out of his chair to take a piss
How do you know that?

Do you need help getting your Latte Grande (with extra sugar packets and a straw) through the White House metal detector when you go to work?

See Milton’s post. The point is both sides lie. Incessantly. To pretend otherwise is naive.
The point needs calibrated. Equating Trump's egregious lying with anyone else in the modern political spectrum is like looking at Michael Jordan and a guy playing pick up at the Y and saying they're interchangeable basketball players.

The point needs calibrated. Equating Trump's egregious lying with anyone else in the modern political spectrum is like looking at Michael Jordan and a guy playing pick up at the Y and saying they're interchangeable basketball players.
Depends on how you view it. Some lies matter more than others. Abortion is one of the bigger issues in the country. She lied about that. She lies about the most fundamental things. And it’s just her. We can trace it back to her cops are murderers tweet. Terrible rush to judgment done to foment unrest. Frightening from a prosecutor.

You’re not one with an objective outlook. More naive. Both sides lie. Trump is a shitty person and a liar. I don’t think much of Harris either. I like her policies less

How do you know that?

Do you need help getting your Latte Grande (with extra sugar packets and a straw) through the White House metal detector when you go to work?
May want to look up what the Cabinet does and how they work. Might help your understanding of the post.

Hope this helps.

99.5% of Trumps “lies” are what used to be known as bluster or being colorful.

As in, I’m going to say this thing that’s not true, and we both know it’s not true, but it’s funny and/ or emphasizes a point.

Democrats (most of them) understand this of course but they still feign incredulity for political purposes. It’s why they’re zero fun and no one likes being around them.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT