ADVERTISEMENT

Of Course

Oh, it's here in Kentucky...Kentucky passed legislation allowing high school kids to ink NIL deals.

The recruiting I'm seeing in Western Kentucky equals the wild west! My son's high school baseball team is made up of kids from two counties away!!

Indiana hasn't passed the NIL legislation for high schoolers as of yet.

Oh, it's here in Kentucky...Kentucky passed legislation allowing high school kids to ink NIL deals.

The recruiting I'm seeing in Western Kentucky equals the wild west! My son's high school baseball team is made up of kids from two counties away!!

The supreme court opened up a big ol can of worms. Amatureism is dead.

Personally, I don't mind kids getting paid if people want to pay them. It's a free country. And sports can still teach character and teamwork.

As a fan, watching college sports in the NIL era feels more or less exactly the same.
I disagree.

One of my favorite things as a kid in the 80s/90s was getting the calendar with the IU basketball headshots. You could collect them and watch the kids grow from freshmen to seniors. Hell, even had that during the Hulls, Oladipo, Sheehey years. We didn't actually know the kids but you were able to feel like you did when you saw them as kids coming in and maybe doing something special and got to watch them grow as players.

From a football perspective, I remember watching the spring game when Peyton Ramsey was a RS-Fr and I remember thinking he had "it." He ended up starting later that year and even though he had to fight for playing time basically his whole career at IU, he always had "it" and I rooted for him hard. I don't know if we'll ever have that kind of thing again when damn near every team goes portal hunting for mercenaries.

It's still football and it's still fun and they've still got the trident on their helmets, but it's not the same. At least for me.

The NCAA and the schools were greedy. They didn't give an inch. And it's rebounded so hard on them that I'm not even sure that they know yet how badly they've screwed the whole system. College sports as we know it are dead.

And I'm all for actual NIL. Caitlyn Clark's endorsement was worth something. Olivia Dunne's endorsement was worth something. Actual endorsement deals are fine. But we don't have an NIL system. We have straight up paying players to play at your school. So, like @kmathum said, amateurism is dead. I guess the real question is whether we're okay with college sports being a professional endeavor. I'm not, but I'll have to learn to deal with it because the toothpaste ain't going back in the tube.

I disagree.

One of my favorite things as a kid in the 80s/90s was getting the calendar with the IU basketball headshots. You could collect them and watch the kids grow from freshmen to seniors. Hell, even had that during the Hulls, Oladipo, Sheehey years. We didn't actually know the kids but you were able to feel like you did when you saw them as kids coming in and maybe doing something special and got to watch them grow as players.

From a football perspective, I remember watching the spring game when Peyton Ramsey was a RS-Fr and I remember thinking he had "it." He ended up starting later that year and even though he had to fight for playing time basically his whole career at IU, he always had "it" and I rooted for him hard. I don't know if we'll ever have that kind of thing again when damn near every team goes portal hunting for mercenaries.

It's still football and it's still fun and they've still got the trident on their helmets, but it's not the same. At least for me.

The NCAA and the schools were greedy. They didn't give an inch. And it's rebounded so hard on them that I'm not even sure that they know yet how badly they've screwed the whole system. College sports as we know it are dead.

And I'm all for actual NIL. Caitlyn Clark's endorsement was worth something. Olivia Dunne's endorsement was worth something. Actual endorsement deals are fine. But we don't have an NIL system. We have straight up paying players to play at your school. So, like @kmathum said, amateurism is dead. I guess the real question is whether we're okay with college sports being a professional endeavor. I'm not, but I'll have to learn to deal with it because the toothpaste ain't going back in the tube.
So because you like headshots kids, mainly from poor backgrounds, should not get paid for their services. Got it. That's not ****ed up at all.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I disagree.

Fair enough, it’s different for all of us.

I had the calendars too and I prefer players spending 3-4 years at a school. But the trend towards going pro early took some of that away already for me. And the reality of under the table payments being rampant reduced how much I cared about NIL — more or less just brought this aboveboard.

I’m curious what the player contracts with the schools will look like with the rev share next year. I hope they’re like other pro contracts — multi-year with buy outs/release clauses. This could settle down the number of xfers and reward smaller programs that find undervalued players since they could get a buyout/release payment vs the nothing they get now. I’d guess this will come down to what players/agents can negotiate, and if they have enough leverage, obviously not much will change.

I don’t see how booster $ can be stopped — will either be NIL or if that’s restricted under the table again.

Interesting stuff. Hard to believe IU will pay players $21M next year.

So because you like headshots kids, mainly from poor backgrounds, should not get paid for their services. Got it. That's not ****ed up at all.
That's over-simplifying what I said.

In an ideal situation, the free education they're getting should be enough to set them up on a career path for a successful life, which ain't nothing.

Again, the schools and NCAA have screwed the pooch here. Poor graduation rates, doing enough to keep kids eligible without giving them an out past college, and again being greedy bringing in billions of dollars in revenue and keeping it all has created an imbalance that made kids getting their share inevitable.

And just to make it really clear about things I'd be okay with:
1) A legitimate NIL (I realize this is basically unworkable because who is the arbiter of what's legit?)
2) Some kind of revenue sharing, kind of like what EA did with giving players a small dollar figure for being in NCAA '25
3) Divorcing college football from schools. If there are X schools that are willing to pay huge player salaries then let them. Pay players, stop pretending it's about school. And have a great NFL minor league that is basically sponsored by schools for tradition's sake. I'll take a bunch of 8-12 team conferences where the players are actual student athletes.

What I'm not okay with:
1) Full-on professional sports at the college level that is pretending like it's amateur sports.

Fair enough, it’s different for all of us.

I had the calendars too and I prefer players spending 3-4 years at a school. But the trend towards going pro early took some of that away already for me. And the reality of under the table payments being rampant reduced how much I cared about NIL — more or less just brought this aboveboard.

I’m curious what the player contracts with the schools will look like with the rev share next year. I hope they’re like other pro contracts — multi-year with buy outs/release clauses. This could settle down the number of xfers and reward smaller programs that find undervalued players since they could get a buyout/release payment vs the nothing they get now. I’d guess this will come down to what players/agents can negotiate, and if they have enough leverage, obviously not much will change.

I don’t see how booster $ can be stopped — will either be NIL or if that’s restricted under the table again.

Interesting stuff. Hard to believe IU will pay players $21M next year.
It will be interesting to see how many people continue to give to collectives, etc once schools start paying directly. Will they be as motivated? Also, contributions to athletics departments are not subject to revenue sharing…wonder if schools will push for alums to give to athletic departments so they can keep non-revenue sports alive

I tend to think college sports are sweet not because of the amateurism, but the increased tribalism that comes with many of the fans being energetic students, alumni, and people with some direct tie to the school. Pro sports doesn’t have this, it’s generally just pick the local team, which is a much weaker connection.

College sports have better crowds and it means more to people, plus I like the variability that comes with young college athletes either being heroes or making big mistakes. College coaches tend to have more interesting (insane) personalities too.

It will be interesting to see how many people continue to give to collectives, etc once schools start paying directly. Will they be as motivated? Also, contributions to athletics departments are not subject to revenue sharing…wonder if schools will push for alums to give to athletic departments so they can keep non-revenue sports alive
Don’t know on NIL. I’d guess not much change, rev share amount is probably same for all meaning NIL is still key to sweeten the deal for recruits.

If a school has to pay out the $22M to athletes, can athletic dept donations not help cover that? I would have thought it doesn’t matter where the $22M comes from — media rights, debt, endowment, donors, whatever.

I just hope these kids get their degrees and most won’t get paid for their NIL after college.
So many communists on this board. If someone can make money for their skill then let them get paid. What the hell man?
I'm going to a 5th grade football game tonight. They charge 10 bucks to get in. Shouldn't those kids get a cut of that?

I'm going to a 5th grade football game tonight. They charge 10 bucks to get in. Shouldn't those kids get a cut of that?

I think they're compensated enough getting Cliff bars, juice boxes, Halo, Cheddar Bunnies, some fruit and Rice Krispie Treats after each game.... and being able to stay up until 12mid on Saturdays..... Next thing ya know they'll start negotiating for new bicycles!... better keep 'em off my lawn!!

I think they're compensated enough getting Cliff bars, juice boxes, Halo, Cheddar Bunnies, some fruit and Rice Krispie Treats after each game.... and being able to stay up until 12mid on Saturdays..... Next thing ya know they'll start negotiating for new bicycles!... better keep 'em off my lawn!!
It's my grandson's game. I'm going to tell my son to get a lawyer. We don't want no stinking juice boxes, we want cold hard cash!

Don’t know on NIL. I’d guess not much change, rev share amount is probably same for all meaning NIL is still key to sweeten the deal for recruits.

If a school has to pay out the $22M to athletes, can athletic dept donations not help cover that? I would have thought it doesn’t matter where the $22M comes from — media rights, debt, endowment, donors, whatever.
Yes, donations can be used to pay the $22M. My point, which I didn't make clearly, is that donations are not subject to revenue sharing so they are "untaxed"...meaning the AD has full discretion on what to apply those funds to.

Details on what is & is not subject to revenue sharing

I agree with TMFT...charge $15 for tickets, play all the games at 4 pm, take the branding off the jerseys, pay the coaches $100k, and let's play football...at one school for four years (and leave with a degree).

Reactions: kmathum
No, unless they are willing to pay for the grounds and upkeep and the staff
required to be present for the game and all related costs.

Personally, I don't mind kids getting paid if people want to pay them. It's a free country. And sports can still teach character and teamwork.

As a fan, watching college sports in the NIL era feels more or less exactly the same.
I agree. An endorsement is still work. Should I have done my paper route for free because the newspaper owner thinks it builds character to schlep newspapers around in a blizzard? I think not.

Reactions: bang63
Let Me compare something for a moment. Suppose IU has a student Who enters the School as a Computer genius and We offer Him a full Academic Scholarship, While He is at IU working on his degree, He also has a consulting contract with a Software Company paying Him $100,000 per year to work part time for Them while He is working on his degree. Do any of Us care? We might say that He is "taking up space' in college and may not need the degree if He can make that much money already in that field.

The difference is none of Us will pay $75 per day to sit in the class room and watch Him perform, and there is no day to day media coverage of His work or critique. The Student has earned this on His own without having to be part of a team, and depend on Them to obtain his success. Aside from using classroom and lab facilities like any other Student, use of University facilities isn't a factor in his consulting work.

What I am left with is this. It's a free Country, and people should be able to make Money in any legal way They choose, and get as much as the Market for their Services will allow. In a team sport, can You separate the individual value from the team. If You are the Quarterback of a national Championship Team, would You have the same NIL opportunities if You played for a 6-6 mediocre team. Most likely not, unless you are Caitlin Clark marketable and put up some great stats with a mediocre team. The thing We should all worry about is how well grounded They are and whether They can handle the attention and financial aspects of these transactions. It's like the old joke about How can You tell Who the ne'r do well heirs and Trust beneficiaries are? They are the ones walking into the Country Club Bar at 3:p.m. to start Happy Hour,Who seem to have no obligations and responsibilities. You don't want to be that Guy.

North Carolina HS player sues because NC rules don’t allow him to sign an “endorsement” deal.

Sports used to teach character and teamwork and hard work.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is the new deal.

Sigh

what about the kid's first amendment right to make a living?

Our AD told me last week the IHSAA just hired their second full time lobbyist to “address” (fight) NIL in high school.

Our AD told me last week the IHSAA just hired their second full time lobbyist to “address” (fight) NIL in high school.
Why should it surprise Us that this is showing up at the High School Level? Several Years ago some Coaches offered Scholarships to Junior High School Players. So between Parents thinking their Kid is the next best thing, having Them play on traveling teams, or going to national football camps every Summer using up their time and paying huge amounts of money for fees and travel expenses, and looking to recover their "investment", and College Coaches trying to outdo each other in recruiting, is it any wonder it has reached the High School Level? Now if You are entering your Senior Year of High School and You don't have multiple Scholarship Offers and NIL deals in front of You, You have either failed or something is wrong with You.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT