ADVERTISEMENT

Number 1 attendance in the B1G

Eh. Maybe. Archie was widely applauded by fans, pundits, etc. You'd have to give me proof that you were against the hire when it happened.
No I wasn’t but that was odd how bad he was here. He seemed like from a record stand point it was a good hire. I’m guessing if someone would have really dove in and looked into his philosophies, we might not have taken him. Sampson is the one that sucks…we had a great coach with him but….

No I wasn’t but that was odd how bad he was here. He seemed like from a record stand point it was a good hire. I’m guessing if someone would have really dove in and looked into his philosophies, we might not have taken him. Sampson is the one that sucks…we had a great coach with him but….
Fred had a lot more information to make a decision than you or any other outsider. He led the interviews to determine if the candidates would succeed. He was also responsible for pitching IU and convincing potential coaches to come here. In the end he got it wrong — Archie could be successful at Dayton and their situation, but that didn’t translate to IU.

Number 6 nationally. Evidently still a sought after product.
Don't write off the IU fans. The Cowboys have been mostly mediocre since the Super Bowl years (14 winning seasons in past 29 including four 9-7 years) and the fans really dislike Jerry Jones who is incompetent littered with bad decisions. He does a poor job finding coaches who will put up with him. Drive around Dallas and you still see the Cowboys flags and stickers. Granted not as many as in the mid-90s but they are still there selling out AT&T stadium. Dallas is a pro town and the Cowboys will always be at the top. IU will be at the top again with just a few positive changes. The demand will be there.

Reactions: go_iu
Are we cherry picking here or are we looking at the big picture?

Teri Moren - amazing hire
Tom Allen - not great long term, but gave us our best 2-year stretch in 30+ years
Jeff Mercer - baseball continues to be a consistent post-season participant and conference challenger
Shondra Stanton - nearly unprecedented success with IU softball
Erwin van Bennekom - jury is still out, but program has improved every year under him and make postseason last year
Steve Aird - best the volleyball program has been in 20 years and poised to be top half to 1/3 of Big Ten next year with likely postseasons coming
Angel Escobedo - has 6 wrestlers qualified for NCAA champs this year. Took a DOORMAT of a program to being ranked and competitive in a really difficult conference.

We have a new FH coach, Water polo, track and Xc...I don't pretend to know much about their success, comparatively.

And btw, most of these hires are because of the investment in facilities that Glass made to be able to attract better candidates/recruit better athletes. So the fundraising/investment in facilities isn't just a 'well, he did ok there' piece.
IU Baseball (and really BIG baseball) is where ir is because of Fred. Smith knew we needed the Bart and we got it.

Fred was as well connected as he could be. Brought a super bowl to a frozen cornfield. and raised cash like none other.

The old people would never stand up after hitting on an Indica..... better would be a clear headed Sativa, maybe a Super Lemon, or Durban or something close.

The South Africans do one thing right....and it's Durban.

Reactions: T.M.P.
They need a magical hire again and I'm telling you it's the guy at ISU. I'm from there, my Mom old she is still there, says this guy has had an electric effect on not just basketball, but the whole damn city. That is what we need, the guy is a Bill Self disciple and lives and breathes basketball. It amazes me he is not target #1.

Are we cherry picking here or are we looking at the big picture?

Teri Moren - amazing hire
Tom Allen - not great long term, but gave us our best 2-year stretch in 30+ years
Jeff Mercer - baseball continues to be a consistent post-season participant and conference challenger
Shondra Stanton - nearly unprecedented success with IU softball
Erwin van Bennekom - jury is still out, but program has improved every year under him and make postseason last year
Steve Aird - best the volleyball program has been in 20 years and poised to be top half to 1/3 of Big Ten next year with likely postseasons coming
Angel Escobedo - has 6 wrestlers qualified for NCAA champs this year. Took a DOORMAT of a program to being ranked and competitive in a really difficult conference.

We have a new FH coach, Water polo, track and Xc...I don't pretend to know much about their success, comparatively.

And btw, most of these hires are because of the investment in facilities that Glass made to be able to attract better candidates/recruit better athletes. So the fundraising/investment in facilities isn't just a 'well, he did ok there' piece.
Only football and men’s basketball matter. Glass terribly mismanaged both sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT