ADVERTISEMENT

Number 1 attendance in the B1G

Yep. The 40 & under crowd will slowly die off more and more with these results and the 41 & over crowd will start to.. slowly die off more and more...
Welp, it's not happening rapidly enough for me to make much of an improvement on my seat selection.

I know, there's a contingent that keeps saying, "don't renew your tickets". "The Hall needs to sit half empty on game day". The latter may happen to some extent, the former won't.

The most elite part of IUBB is our fans, and they’re the reason IUBB is what it is despite 25 years of struggling on the court.

Not only is AH constantly packed for a bad team, IU fans also took over MSG vs UConn and created a 50/50 crowd in Auburn’s backyard in Atlanta of all places.

The idea our fans are an issue couldn’t be more wrong.

Does anyone know if the Attendance increased.... when they started selling Beer????

Could be another reason for the positive Attendance numbers.... although I don't like the idea
of beer at sporting events. (JMHO)

The most elite part of IUBB is our fans, and they’re the reason IUBB is what it is despite 25 years of struggling on the court.

Not only is AH constantly packed for a bad team, IU fans also took over MSG vs UConn and created a 50/50 crowd in Auburn’s backyard in Atlanta of all places.

The idea our fans are an issue couldn’t be more wrong.
Iu had a 60/40 in Atlanta I believe. (According to my bat radar) Just furthering your point. Just imagine what this program owojld be like with someone competent running the basketball program? ELITE

Does anyone know if the Attendance increased.... when they started selling Beer????

Could be another reason for the positive Attendance numbers.... although I don't like the idea
of beer at sporting events. (JMHO)
No change when beer sales were introduced when looking at the numbers.

Reactions: Tscurlo
It says IU fans are willing to watch a shit product. Not much incentive to "fix" things.
What it say for a lot of us is that it took quite a while to get "decent" seats. We won't let them drop because, well in my case anyway, I'm too old to start from scratch again.

In reality, people like myself don't matter to them. Ticket holder, sure, but not a big donor. Those folks are the only ones who can make a difference. I still recall Fred Glass being brutally honest about that during the Crean era. He said he's really not worried about hundred dollar donors demanding change.

What it say for a lot of us is that it took quite a while to get "decent" seats. We won't let them drop because, well in my case anyway, I'm too old to start from scratch again.

In reality, people like myself don't matter to them. Ticket holder, sure, but not a big donor. Those folks are the only ones who can make a difference. I still recall Fred Glass being brutally honest about that during the Crean era. He said he's really not worried about hundred dollar donors demanding change.
Oh, I referring to attendance specifically.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Number 6 nationally. Evidently still a sought after product.
I predicted a large drop in attendace the last three games and I was proven wrong. The last game without the 8K student seats? Just a few empties upstairs.

It is very different at Indiana.

Reactions: IU73
So the fans AREN'T to blame after all. CMW takes another loss.
I tend to stay out of the "true fan" debate. Its not in me to "boo" IU players or coaches. The Woodson thing in particular is tough because I enjoyed his play so much when I attended IU.

That said, if that's what someone feels they need to do, then do what you will. Not my place to say what constitutes a "true fan".

Reactions: bawlmer
Attendants need to start passing out triple infused THC dipped joints. I'm talking Gorilla Glue, GDP...a heavy indica lean.

The games would so much more delightful. The kids would have a ball!
The old people would never stand up after hitting on an Indica..... better would be a clear headed Sativa, maybe a Super Lemon, or Durban or something close.

Did you read the article in the star quantifying a national sports thread this week?

BTW, CBS disagreeas with you. Now ND FB? That is dying
Yeah sure…two programs going in opposite directions there. ND on the rise and IU has never got up from the RMk firing

Glass was bad. No AD experience — so no idea how he got that job. He had to write a book claiming he rebuilt IU athletics when he didn’t. None of his major coaching moves worked.

I guess he spent some B1G TV $ and donor $ fairly well on Memorial Stadium and AH and some other facilities.

Glass was bad. No AD experience — so no idea how he got that job. He had to write a book claiming he rebuilt IU athletics when he didn’t. None of his major coaching moves worked.

I guess he spent some B1G TV $ and donor $ fairly well on Memorial Stadium and AH and some other facilities.
Frustrated Work GIF by myHQ

Iu hasn’t been budgeted poorly, it has hired poorly. If iu has a really good coach they are an absolute monster. Could you imagine Bill Self with IU’s advantages

Glass did very well as an AD in financial terms. He brought in a lot of big donations. As far as hiring coaches, yeah not so great.

Glass did very well as an AD in financial terms. He brought in a lot of big donations. As far as hiring coaches, yeah not so great.
Are we cherry picking here or are we looking at the big picture?

Teri Moren - amazing hire
Tom Allen - not great long term, but gave us our best 2-year stretch in 30+ years
Jeff Mercer - baseball continues to be a consistent post-season participant and conference challenger
Shondra Stanton - nearly unprecedented success with IU softball
Erwin van Bennekom - jury is still out, but program has improved every year under him and make postseason last year
Steve Aird - best the volleyball program has been in 20 years and poised to be top half to 1/3 of Big Ten next year with likely postseasons coming
Angel Escobedo - has 6 wrestlers qualified for NCAA champs this year. Took a DOORMAT of a program to being ranked and competitive in a really difficult conference.

We have a new FH coach, Water polo, track and Xc...I don't pretend to know much about their success, comparatively.

And btw, most of these hires are because of the investment in facilities that Glass made to be able to attract better candidates/recruit better athletes. So the fundraising/investment in facilities isn't just a 'well, he did ok there' piece.

Tom Allen - not great long term, but gave us our best 2-year stretch in 30+ years
Jeff Mercer - baseball continues to be a consistent post-season participant and conference challenger
Erwin van Bennekom - jury is still out, but program has improved every year under him and make postseason last year
Steve Aird - best the volleyball program has been in 20 years and poised to be top half to 1/3 of Big Ten next year with likely postseasons coming
Angel Escobedo - has 6 wrestlers qualified for NCAA champs this year. Took a DOORMAT of a program to being ranked and competitive in a really difficult conference.

We have a new FH coach, Water polo, track and Xc...I don't pretend to know much about their success, comparatively.

And btw, most of these hires are because of the investment in facilities that Glass made to be able to attract better candidates/recruit better athletes. So the fundraising/investment in facilities isn't just a 'well, he did ok there' piece.
No I was thinking Football and men's Basketball. Don't follow or know enough about the coaches in the other sports to have an opinion.

He handled the basketball program poorly

Agree. Interestingly about 70% of the athletic department revenue gains over Glass' tenure came from the B1G Network payouts increasing significantly. Any AD would have benefitted from this -- IU is fortunate to be in a very rich conference. The rest of the revenue sources Glass grew pretty modestly each year. Overall, he did a good job fundraising and did pretty well on facilities, which helps various teams.

The two sports that matter most we didn't do well in unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT