ADVERTISEMENT

Now sign Malone and a guard 3pt shooter

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Still need a pure shooter at guard!
A pure shooter from 3pt range and FT, has to now be priority #1 for IU.

Are there any "shooters", "basketball smart", "great attitude", players in the portal who are willing to come off the bench? You can only start 5 guys...
With 2-3 more spots available, who will be the starting 5 and who are the rotation guys.
We cannot have guys on the bench who are pouting because they are not starting or getting as much PT.

Are there any "shooters", "basketball smart", "great attitude", players in the portal who are willing to come off the bench? You can only start 5 guys...
With 2-3 more spots available, who will be the starting 5 and who are the rotation guys.
We cannot have guys on the bench who are pouting because they are not starting or getting as much PT.

Starters:

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo

Galloway
Tucker
IMO, the rest won't see double digit minutes. The byproduct of a good, deep team is having some guys unhappy with their minutes. They can either pout, get better, or transfer next spring.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Still need a pure shooter at guard!
A pure shooter from 3pt range and FT, has to now be priority #1 for IU.
A shooter that can also defend. I don't want someone that is "supposed" to be a shooter. We have seen these come in and take 3 shots per game, miss them all, and be a liability on defense. I've always thought that a good shooter doesn't just come in, shoot the ball, and sit down. I believe they need to be in the game for 20+ minutes to pick their opportunities to take enough good shots to be effective.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
There's only one ball.

Won't be room for another shooter.

Always good to have backup though, or spot minutes. Don't know how they find that from the portal. Probably needs to be homegrown.

Reactions: Pryght
To quote Chuck Pagano, on offense, that's a "bowling ball of butcher knives."

Good luck Coach Painter, your move.
Your post made me think about what his move is. Painters move is no move — work with who he has and their incoming class.

To add to the IU/PU rivalry, there is now a clear difference in roster building approach. With one in a million Lurch gone, we can more directly compare the two approaches. Will be interesting — we need to finish ahead of them.

Your post made me think about what his move is. Painters move is no move — work with who he has and their incoming class.

To add to the IU/PU rivalry, there is now a clear difference in roster building approach. With one in a million Lurch gone, we can more directly compare the two approaches. Will be interesting — we need to finish ahead of them.
Polar opposite approaches for sure. I’d like to think we can buy enough talent to beat them even with Woody coaching. Bizarre feeling just typing that.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Maybe because Galloway's free throw percentage last year was 0.6% higher than Shaquille O'Neal's career free throw percentage. Galloway needs to get right between the ears before he sniffs the starting lineup.
That’s pretty much the most ridiculous stat ever. How in the wide world of sports can a coach’s kid from the state of Indiana be such a horrible FT shooter?

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Leal, Galloway, Cupps, and Newton could fill the shooter role off the bench if they really work on shooting this off-season. A back up 4/5 seems like a bigger roster need to me.

Reactions: asindc
Leal, Galloway, Cupps, and Newton could fill the shooter role off the bench if they really work on shooting this off-season. A back up 4/5 seems like a bigger roster need to me.
None of them is a proven shooter in the B1G
That’s the problem, Leal has now had a 5 year scholarship for 5 points.

What is this "willing" stuff?

Kids start based on how things go in practice. This is college basketball. Even if Woodson tries to turn it into the G-league with all this pay to play garbage, he will be gone in a few years max, and things will return to work ethic and earning a spot. Or else Purdue will gladly take home all the Big Ten championship trophies they can carry.

Reactions: BleedinGold
Zach Anderson from Florida Gulf Coast currently on a visit. 6’7 stretch 4 shot 46% from 3 last year on 111 attempts. Torched us last year for 19 points on 5/7 shooting behind the arc. Theres your shooter off the bench. Should have 15-17 minutes available for him.

I feel like we say this every year?🤔
I remember saying it in August of 1992 and also in August of 2000.

"Jeremy Hollowell and Hanner Perea" should be the response to anyone trying to claim next year's bricklayers are on track for a championship of any kind.

Let's see how they play before predicting anything but what we've seen before.

Zach Anderson from Florida Gulf Coast currently on a visit. 6’7 stretch 4 shot 46% from 3 last year on 111 attempts. Torched us last year for 19 points on 5/7 shooting behind the arc. Theres your shooter off the bench. Should have 15-17 minutes available for him.
He fits one of the needs for sure as far as a guy who can come off the bench and hit shots.

Why not Galloway start? Too white for u UTFO?

Sure, that's it. He's too white.

I just drove through Georgia, man. There's white. And then there's white.

But, Galloway isn't a good enough shooter. I don't care what color he is.

"Jeremy Hollowell and Hanner Perea" should be the response to anyone trying to claim next year's bricklayers are on track for a championship of any kind.

Funny.....and EXACTLY!

This guy fits the need very well. Would like it to be a guard but oh well.

Starters:

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo

Galloway
Tucker
IMO, the rest won't see double digit minutes. The byproduct of a good, deep team is having some guys unhappy with their minutes. They can either pout, get better, or transfer next spring.
Gallo shot 40+ percentage 2 years ago when he didn't have to be the PG and shooting guard. It is possible he could regain his shooting touch when paired with a good and consistent PG. I could see Gallo playing more minutes when teams use 3 guards or when we need more perimeter defense.

Our top 6 are all proven performers at the high major level. They are not unknowns nor are they untested.

Reactions: asindc
Gallo shot 40+ percentage 2 years ago when he didn't have to be the PG and shooting guard. It is possible he could regain his shooting touch when paired with a good and consistent PG. I could see Gallo playing more minutes when teams use 3 guards or when we need more perimeter defense.

Galloway's 3-point percentages:

Freshman Year: 18%
Sophomore Year: 21%
Junior Year: 46%
Senior Year: 26%

Galloway's Free Throw Percentage:

Freshman Year: 73%
Sophomore Year: 65%
Junior Year: 64%
Senior Year: 53%

Galloway will get plenty of minutes next year. In terms of shooting, I wouldn't expect much from him.

Galloway's 3-point percentages:

Freshman Year: 18%
Sophomore Year: 21%
Junior Year: 46%
Senior Year: 26%

Galloway's Free Throw Percentage:

Freshman Year: 73%
Sophomore Year: 65%
Junior Year: 64%
Senior Year: 53%

Galloway will get plenty of minutes next year. In terms of shooting, I wouldn't expect much from him.
I predicted TG's 3 pt % would drop as D's could focus on him vs Kopp, JHS and TJD. For the same reason, I think he'll rebound a bit this year. He'll not shoot 46% again, and that was fools gold, but I think he'll get up in the 32%+ range as D's have to contend with Ballo, MR, MM and Rice and Carlyle. I do agree, he's never going to be a "knock-down" shooter.

Galloway needs to not shoot much, sadly.
I don't understand any player not, on their own, working out of such a strange form. Could shoot all day long for years and you can't groove something like that up to a high level.
So he'll never reach what he has the athletic ability to have been.
I don't know what our coaches have been doing with him for years. The staff let him down.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT