ADVERTISEMENT

Not a fan of polls.but

If Indiana is not in the final top 25 at 8 and 4 with our losses to the big four I am going to be pissed.
Sagarin has us at 40, a snippet behind AZ State and a short straw behind Tennessee and Kentucky. Would love to play either UT or pUKe in a bowl game, whether in Nashville or Florida.

That said, Sagarin also has BAMA rated at 4 and UGA at 5 despite BAMA not having beaten anybody, and UGA having beaten 3 ranked teams including Auburn. So there's that question mark on their methodology.

BTW, MSU ended up at 6-6 this year. Sagarin has them at no. 37. Maybe this year it's just the big 3 . . .

. . . MSU is the only game I have as one that got away from us this year. I think if we play 'em again, we beat them . . . 6 out of 10 times, would be my guess. They're the next mental challenge . . . in addition to cementing our confidence that we can beat PU.

Last edited:
That said, Sagarin also has BAMA rated at 4 and UGA at 5 despite BAMA not having beaten anybody, and UGA having beaten 3 ranked teams including Auburn. So there's that question mark on their methodology.
That's difficult to put on Sagarin as he doesn't have the ability to adjust his data for Tua getting hurt.

Georgia and Alabama share 4 common opponents for now.

Auburn: Georgia (-3) won by 7, Alabama (-3.5) lost by 3
Texas A&M: Georgia (-13) won by 6, Alabama (-17) won by 19
Tennessee: Georgia (-24.5) won by 29, Alabama (-35) won by 22
South Carolina: Georgia (-21) lost by 3, Alabama (-26.5) won by 24

Average betting odds: Georgia -15.5, Alabama -20.5
Average margin of victory: Georgia +9.8, Alabama +20.7

That's difficult to put on Sagarin as he doesn't have the ability to adjust his data for Tua getting hurt.

Georgia and Alabama share 4 common opponents for now.

Auburn: Georgia (-3) won by 7, Alabama (-3.5) lost by 3
Texas A&M: Georgia (-13) won by 6, Alabama (-17) won by 19
Tennessee: Georgia (-24.5) won by 29, Alabama (-35) won by 22
South Carolina: Georgia (-21) lost by 3, Alabama (-26.5) won by 24

Average betting odds: Georgia -15.5, Alabama -20.5
Average margin of victory: Georgia +9.8, Alabama +20.7

Nice post. Tua's injury is sufficiently captured in BAMA's loss to Auburn, I should think.

The funny thing is that the margins of victory stat doesn't take into account the different styles of those two teams. BAMA is far more offense-oriented this year than UGA, whereas UGA's defense has been quite good, and against better competition overall than BAMA has played/beaten.

BTW, I've been wondering whether Kirby gifted his best friend a victory in that loss to South Carolina. Muschamp is on a fairly hot seat . . . and Kirby may have seen enough room in his program's upside to leave a feather for Muschamp's cap to help Muschamp weather the rough road Muschamp has had.

Nice post. Tua's injury is sufficiently captured in BAMA's loss to Auburn, I should think.

The funny thing is that the margins of victory stat doesn't take into account the different styles of those two teams. BAMA is far more offense-oriented this year than UGA, whereas UGA's defense has been quite good, and against better competition overall than BAMA has played/beaten.

BTW, I've been wondering whether Kirby gifted his best friend a victory in that loss to South Carolina. Muschamp is on a fairly hot seat . . . and Kirby may have seen enough room in his program's upside to leave a feather for Muschamp's cap to help Muschamp weather the rough road Muschamp has had.

The coach at Georgia would never “give away” a win. Not going to happen. You can get fired there for going 10-2. They are relentless down there.

The coach at Georgia would never “give away” a win. Not going to happen. You can get fired there for going 10-2. They are relentless down there.
"Down there"?

You mean down here . . . I think I know Georgia a little better than you do, sunshine.

Iowa State plays in a watered down Big 12, although they did beat Texas.

Watered down? The B12 is anything but "watered down". Every team In that conference could/would beat us a majority of the time, save Kansas.

TCU's the 3rd worst team in the conference, and they busted up a Purdue team at full strength we needed 2 OT's to beat.

Watered down is having so many teams that you have several that don't play each other, and thus build bogus records.

You don't duck anyone in the B12.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Watered down? The B12 is anything but "watered down". Every team In that conference could/would beat us a majority of the time, save Kansas.

TCU's the 3rd worst team in the conference, and they busted up a Purdue team at full strength we needed 2 OT's to beat.

Watered down is having so many teams that you have several that don't play each other, and thus build bogus records.

You don't duck anyone in the B12.
I would not be afraid of TCU, West Va, Iowa State, K-State, Texas. Baylor and Oklahoma might be the 2 exceptions.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I would not be afraid of TCU, West Va, Iowa State, K-State, Texas. Baylor and Oklahoma might be the 2 exceptions.

No, I agree....if we're at full strength, and actually play a complete game like we're capable of, without the nonsense we consistently commit that have kept games close this year...then yeah...I think we could compete with the 2nd level B12 teams.

I'd love to see us play more of those games....without the consistent, almost comedic, mistakes constantly.

We do that, with our talent, and we go toe to toe with PSU and Michigan, beat MSU, and keep it within 20 of this years OSU team.

But if we played any B12 team, save Kansas, playing like we we have all year...missing opportunities and making critical errors...we'd be lucky to win one. MAYBE we'd beat this years Tech....maybe.

It'd be like 2007 when we came in with a 7-5 record and felt we could play with 6-6, "watered down" Oklahoma State....because we were in the B10 and stuff.

We have the ability to be good. We're getting there. I consider PSU our best played game, maybe Northwestern, and even PSU we had a muffed punt and comedic failed fake that cost us the game.

That said, we play like that every week, and clear out those "only Indiana" errors, and we beat MD, Neb, and Pur by 3 touchdowns....easily. We have a LEGIT chance at 10-2. The core is there. The physical aspect is close.

Our talent is bailing us out of holes of mental mistakes are putting us in....which is good in many ways. Never used to be like that.

Once our talent starts playing "smart"...making key plays...that's when we have a 2019 Minny-like season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT