ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops fan and casual follower of the football program

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
but asking. Would you all be pleased with w 5/6/7&8 winning seasons over the next four years under CCC? Maybe break the 9 win barrier for year 5? Challenge for top 8 in conference &top 25 flirtation?

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
but asking. Would you all be pleased with w 5/6/7&8 winning seasons over the next four years under CCC? Maybe break the 9 win barrier for year 5? Challenge for top 8 in conference &top 25 flirtation?
The guy implied we'd be in the Big Ten Championship game at the end of next season...

I'm holding him to that standard 😉😎...

You hear everyone around here say they would be very satisfied with 7 wins per year, but that's not even close to human nature. The moment Cignetti wins 7 games, we will all want 9 wins the following year, just the way people/fans operate.

For my money, I want a Big Ten Championship and a spot in the college football playoffs. No, I wouldn't be happy with 6 wins and 10th place finishes in conference.

Hopefully, Coach Cig won’t get beat by 28 points in a game of two, supposedly, evenly matched teams. I hold IU basketball to that same standard. This last weekend was 4 steps backward in Atlanta.

You hear everyone around here say they would be very satisfied with 7 wins per year, but that's not even close to human nature. The moment Cignetti wins 7 games, we will all want 9 wins the following year, just the way people/fans operate.

For my money, I want a Big Ten Championship and a spot in the college football playoffs. No, I wouldn't be happy with 6 wins and 10th place finishes in conference.
When they expand to 16 we might actually have a shot.

• Love
Reactions: td75
I want to beat who we are supposed to beat with an occasional upset win and I want the bar for who we are supposed to beat to realistically rise. Where that levels off, I am not sure. To me, I expect the coaching staff to at a minimum get what they expect and more from players. I also expect them to either raise the standard of players that come to IU or become a place where we develop players above and beyond. And I expect them to make in game adjustments to give our team a competitive advantage we have not had from a coaching perspective.

Reactions: red hornet
Win 6-7 and fans will want 7-8. Win 7-8 and we will want 8-9. Just human nature.
This reminds me of Minnesota. Were absolutely terrible then Glen Mason got them to 7-8 wins (cupcakes and moderate conference success). They beat a bad PSU team, but could never get over the hump with Ohio State and Michigan.

After a very bad bowl loss (blew a huge lead), they dumped him and hired Tim
Brewster.

Speaking of the Gophers, I think situation is about to implode. They are not going to compete in NIL and will constantly lose their best players going forward. PJ wants out desperately and there doesn’t appear to be any interest.

Minnesota Under Mason won at PSU when they were ranked #1, I believe in ‘99. They also won at OSU in 2000. That was the game that pretty much sealed Coop’s departure. Mason was hired the same year (‘97), IU brought in Cam, Tiller came to PU and Ron Turner went to Illinois.

When the 2000 season was over, Mason, a former Buck player for Woody, thought he’d get the OSU job for sure. The joke up in Minny was he’d bought a one way plane ticket. Brewster was an absolute joke of a coach for the Gophs.

Win 6-7 and fans will want 7-8. Win 7-8 and we will want 8-9. Just human nature.
Down at the wharf, longshoremen recognize this phenomenon as "Bigger Boat Syndrome". They see a guy proud of his new dingy. After a few seasons of rowing around the bay, he talks of captaining a yacht to Monaco in time for Grand Prix.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I don't think the answer is as cut and dry as we think it might be.

Look at Tom Allen.....counting bowl games he went 5-7, 5-7, 8-5, 6-2. Then 2-10, 4-8 and 3-9. I honestly think there isn't a set requirement for annual success as much as just a continued culmination of success. If IU were to win 8 games this season, 4 games the next season, 7 games the next season, 5 games the next season, 6 games the next season, 8 games the next and 4 the following.......I think IU fans would be more than happy keeping him as a coach. I imagine over a 15 year period of sustaining that level of 'success' would raise the programs prestige (sadly) above where it has been the last few decades. In that case, I can see fans losing sight but CCC isn't exactly a spring chicken either. He'd be 77 years old at that point. I think we need to be going to bowl games every year or having an 8 or 9 win season to match/offset any down years where we don't make a bowl game.

Reactions: nichlee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT