ADVERTISEMENT

northwestern is actually pretty damn good.

Its not like Edey is the Michael Jordan of the NBA...where the "touch foul" was invented to punish his opponents. Unlike every other player on the floor...Edey is always very visible and conspicuous. I think you are underestimating his agility and aptitude in avoiding the foul calls....and overestimating referee bias. Avoiding the foul calls is a skill and an art form just like "slipping a punch", or evading a tackle. I always thought as far as Purdue was concerned that no one got away with more fouls than Brian Cardinal. But...in retrospect...I think Cardinal was coached out of, and developed the skill set to avoid the cheap calls. I think the really big men in basketball have to deal with this area of exposure as well...not just Edey. He, like Cardinal, has been coached in this area...and has developed his skills of stealth and slipping the call. Its part of the game.
I think you're right, and wrong. Yes, he does a good job of avoiding calls, but I don't think he gets most of the credit, imo. As I also said earlier, I think MP has done a masterful job of understanding the line between being physical and getting a foul called and ridden that to some very physical teams who get called for very few fouls. But, I also think you're just plain wrong on Edey. With his size and physicality he fouls all the time and they've just decided not to call them. Look at vs NW: at NW fouls were essentially even (and Edey had 4 fouls), and then at Mackey 31-15 (and Edey 2 fouls). What changed? I'll guarantee what didn't change: NWs approach nor PU's physicality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT