ADVERTISEMENT

No more pass outs?

Just in case the gurus that run the ticket office have not noticed most
of those that got pass outs did not return anyway. Now there will be
more not returning because they can't. I guess they could always chain them to
their seats.
I was kind of thinking the same thing.

They're playing a game of chicken with a fan base experienced in walking away. It's the old Resistable Force vs. the Movable Object

Bold prediction, those that were going leave via pass outs are still
going to leave.
May be true but I know a large number of season ticket holders who park very near the stadium and who would dash to their cars for a few snacks and a beer and then would return to the stadium for the rest of the game. I am one of them but am not at all disappointed in the policy change. Concessions being stepped up and local vendors being involved make it an easier decision the stay in the stadium. I've heard that Levy is top notch and that things will go much smoother with regard to getting concessions & beers - that is certainly the key to keeping folks happy. That and a winning product on the field will eventually turn the tide in keeping fans in the stands.

May be true but I know a large number of season ticket holders who park very near the stadium and who would dash to their cars for a few snacks and a beer and then would return to the stadium for the rest of the game. I am one of them but am not at all disappointed in the policy change. Concessions being stepped up and local vendors being involved make it an easier decision the stay in the stadium. I've heard that Levy is top notch and that things will go much smoother with regard to getting concessions & beers - that is certainly the key to keeping folks happy. That and a winning product on the field will eventually turn the tide in keeping fans in the stands.
Couldn’t have said it better Ed, but Levy better step up the concession game inside MS , or the bitching and griping will reach epic proportions! I , like you, always went out for a quick beverage and came back in for the 2nd half. But, like you said, at the end of the day the product on the field will need to be what keeps people in the stadium !

Couldn’t have said it better Ed, but Levy better step up the concession game inside MS , or the bitching and griping will reach epic proportions! I , like you, always went out for a quick beverage and came back in for the 2nd half. But, like you said, at the end of the day the product on the field will need to be what keeps people in the stadium !
And bathroom lines need to be improved dramatically. Bring back the troughs!!!! LOL

What are the pluses and minuses of the pass outs?
It seems like some people left for alcohol, food, or to smoke a quick non tobacco cigarette. Then sometimes come back and sometimes not.
Stopping pass outs forces you to use the stadium food and alcohol (which is likely more expensive and may or may not be better). If they do that they should at least provide a non tobacco smoking area.
Seems greedy to me but Imay not understand it completely

It seems like some people left for alcohol, food, or to smoke a quick non tobacco cigarette. Then sometimes come back and sometimes not.
Stopping pass outs forces you to use the stadium food and alcohol (which is likely more expensive and may or may not be better). If they do that they should at least provide a non tobacco smoking area.
Michigan provides a smoking area inside the gates, or at least they did
the last time I was there.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It only limits the options of the people who used them properly and did actually return. The ones that didn't return, will still leave regardless. In either case, I can understand the mess. In college we might have used some trickery on the elderly folk handing out "pass-outs" up in West Lafayette to get more than one passout each....so we could bring others in when we returned.

I’m completely in favor of setting up an “IU Smoke Hut”. Provide an area to smoke a tobbaco cigarette, vape, chew, provide leather loungers where people can buy and smoke cigars. Fully in favor of it and connect it to a gate in a corner section of the stadium. People are going to do it, whether anyone personally agrees with the habit or not.

With no pass outs they better upgrade the halftime show.
Now that, I completely agree with. The band presentation is absolutely awful, which is why I go out to the concourse at halftime.

But, they need to upgrade those damn TVs and show other games and scores for people! Those TVs look like something confiscated out of a dorm room at IU in the 1980s.

I've always liked how I could come and go when I wanted, to the car and back. But looking at the big picture.....it's really not a big deal, either way. I think people (students, especially) will still leave if they want, regardless if they can get back in or not. And the people that go and come back, will just stay. And probably spend more money, at least most will. So it's really only penalizing those people. Everyone says "everyone else does it like this"....my response would be, I like how we are unique in that regard. At least, we were. But like i said.....it doesn't really bother me, the change.

if they really want to get after attendance issues they’d pull priority points from unused tickets and/or tickets that are constantly resold on secondary market.

I think Bama did something similar a few years back with punishing students who left games early with not getting future tickets.

I’m completely in favor of setting up an “IU Smoke Hut”. Provide an area to smoke a tobbaco cigarette, vape, chew, provide leather loungers where people can buy and smoke cigars. Fully in favor of it and connect it to a gate in a corner section of the stadium. People are going to do it, whether anyone personally agrees with the habit or not.
It says this on the IU site and I believe it's also on the back of the tickets.

SMOKING– Smoking is prohibited in all areas of Memorial Stadium including the restrooms and concourse areas.

As a smoker of 40+ years and as someone who only quit after my doctor told me I HAD to quit if I wanted live five more year, I think it's one of the dumbest things a person can do.

If it's a non-smoking area and someone thinks they're going to smoke anyway... I'm not gonna let it happen.

Last edited:
if they really want to get after attendance issues they’d pull priority points from unused tickets and/or tickets that are constantly resold on secondary market.

I think Bama did something similar a few years back with punishing students who left games early with not getting future tickets.
Amen. You don’t stick it out for the primary revenue driver of the university and the conference……surprise, surprise!!!!
Guess where you’ll be sitting for basketball season? Balcony, upper corner.

This conference and its schools didn’t get big ass media deals because of basketball. People may not like that but it’s true.

They didn’t cherry pick USC, Oregon and Washington from the Pac12 due to their stellar basketball history.

looking forward to the 3Q that first game we're down 35-3 at half...

....probably not different than any other game the last 30 years...

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
looking forward to the 3Q that first game we're down 35-3 at half...

....probably not different than any other game the last 30 years...
Those aren’t the games I’m worried about. I want to see how the stands look in the 3rd Q of a one score game (either direction) at half. Because there have been too many of those with an empty stadium. I think CCC will, rightfully, come down on the fans for that.

A lot of IU folks have bitched and moaned over the years but have zero buy-in to even close games.

This language was on the site last season as well but it never happened.

This is an empty argument as people that are going to leave at halftime will leave at halftime regardless of policy. Only the product on the field and the band will change that.

We park very close in the white lot and like to go out for some decent food, quick drink and catch up with others who came out or that kept the tailagate open. Unless there is a red zone situation we leave with 1 min to go and have a cold beverage in hand before the gun sounds.

We go back in 90% of the time.

I certainly hope it will not be enforced again this year. IU is the last program to feature this benefit. It is simply a money grab.

• Sad
Reactions: vesuvius13
This language was on the site last season as well but it never happened.

This is an empty argument as people that are going to leave at halftime will leave at halftime regardless of policy. Only the product on the field and the band will change that.

We park very close in the white lot and like to go out for some decent food, quick drink and catch up with others who came out or that kept the tailagate open. Unless there is a red zone situation we leave with 1 min to go and have a cold beverage in hand before the gun sounds.

We go back in 90% of the time.

I certainly hope it will not be enforced again this year. IU is the last program to feature this benefit. It is simply a money grab.
Some of my Purdue buddies still bitch about not being allowed out at halftime without a pass to return. I expect the same here.

Off topic- I see where Sun King Brewery will be honoring Gene Keady with a new beer. What about Bob? What’s been done for Coach Knight lately, other than diddly-squat? I guess that’s what happens here when liberalism taints the thought process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT