ADVERTISEMENT

No more pass outs?

Huge disrespect to the Knight family that Upland has not created a RMK beer lol.

If they did make one, a Bitter or a Sour would be fitting.
I’d call his beer Zero Tolerance, as in “Bartender, make mine a ‘ZT’ on draft, garnished with a trinity of Angostura bitters.” Ten percent of all sales would go towards the BK Statue Fund.

Some of my Purdue buddies still bitch about not being allowed out at halftime without a pass to return. I expect the same here.

Off topic- I see where Sun King Brewery will be honoring Gene Keady with a new beer. What about Bob? What’s been done for Coach Knight lately, other than diddly-squat? I guess that’s what happens here when liberalism taints the thought process.
Gene’s Combover Crème Ale ?

It is less of a deal at PU because there is only one lot close enough for a return, tailgating is spread out and really is not very good to begin with.

Now follow the lead of the NFL and get rid of the antiquated marching bands and initiate a 21st century halftime program that can also be incorporated into the entire game.

Reactions: jsenleo and Al Bino
Some of my Purdue buddies still bitch about not being allowed out at halftime without a pass to return. I expect the same here.

Off topic- I see where Sun King Brewery will be honoring Gene Keady with a new beer. What about Bob? What’s been done for Coach Knight lately, other than diddly-squat? I guess that’s what happens here when liberalism taints the thought process.
Gene and Purdue are currently the state’s darlings because they made the Final Four for the first time in 400 years. They didn’t win it all but it was a feel good story with Lurch and crew getting to the final game buzzsaw called UCONN.
Bob is a big meanie and won it all, multiple times, being a hardass and controversial. None of that plays well in today’s world where people are now trying to figure out whether they are male, female or an alien hybrid and everyone gets hurt feelings.

This is an empty argument as people that are going to leave at halftime will leave at halftime regardless of policy. Only the product on the field and the band will change that.

I don't really give a crap about the band.
Yes, it would be nice if they would up their game but...
only the product on the field will keep fans in their seats.
I am optimistic that CCC is the guy to help erase a history of bad football.

Gene and Purdue are currently the state’s darlings because they made the Final Four for the first time in 400 years. They didn’t win it all but it was a feel good story with Lurch and crew getting to the final game buzzsaw called UCONN.
Bob is a big meanie and won it all, multiple times, being a hardass and controversial. None of that plays well in today’s world where people are now trying to figure out whether they are male, female or an alien hybrid and everyone gets hurt feelings.
It’s almost as if we’ve been sucked through a black hole into an alternate universe with no one flinching.

I don't really give a crap about the band.
Yes, it would be nice if they would up their game but...
only the product on the field will keep fans in their seats.
I am optimistic that CCC is the guy to help erase a history of bad football.
Hopefully, but we have been down this road a dozen times before and I will still want to hop out to the lot. We have extra tickets sometimes and would use those to re enter if they enforce it.

Now follow the lead of the NFL and get rid of the antiquated marching bands and initiate a 21st century halftime program that can also be incorporated into the entire game.
That’s funny because the marching hundred performs it at least one Colts game every year. When I lived in Houston, they would have college vans performance halftime also. That was a long time ago and may not happen anymore, but it was definitely the case at one point.

Here’s the thing, if you want to be an NFL fan, there’s nothing keeping you from doing that. A lot of people that enjoy college football enjoy it because it’s not the NFL. They don’t want it to be the NFL. Because then it just becomes a lesser version of the NFL

This language was on the site last season as well but it never happened.

This is an empty argument as people that are going to leave at halftime will leave at halftime regardless of policy. Only the product on the field and the band will change that.

We park very close in the white lot and like to go out for some decent food, quick drink and catch up with others who came out or that kept the tailagate open. Unless there is a red zone situation we leave with 1 min to go and have a cold beverage in hand before the gun sounds.

We go back in 90% of the time.

I certainly hope it will not be enforced again this year. IU is the last program to feature this benefit. It is simply a money grab.
I disagree with this. I think there is probably a pretty large number of people that because of the current policy they leave and they haven’t made up their mind whether they’re going to come back in or not when they leave. I think it will keep those people.

I disagree with this. I think there is probably a pretty large number of people that because of the current policy they leave and they haven’t made up their mind whether they’re going to come back in or not when they leave. I think it will keep those people.
Product on the field will manage that for you.

Pass outs are/were a good feature of IU FB games.

I expect our tailgate will head for the stadium later. I suspect we will be more likely to leave early in the 4th quarter.

I won't be surprised if we miss the kick off a few times. We won't disturb anyone, we sit on the aisle in row 10. We will still sneak food in. I'll die of thirst before I buy their ridiculously priced beer when we have better choices 50 yards from the exit.

All I ask is that the team plays hard and doesn't give me a reason to leave.

I expect our tailgate will head for the stadium later. I suspect we will be more likely to leave early in the 4th quarter.

I won't be surprised if we miss the kick off a few times. We won't disturb anyone, we sit on the aisle in row 10. We will still sneak food in. I'll die of thirst before I buy their ridiculously priced beer when we have better choices 50 yards from the exit.

All I ask is that the team plays hard and doesn't give me a reason to leave.
Bad fan...BAD!!!

YOU are why IU FB has sucked for 300 years...YOU!!

300 years of bad football takes a lot of wins to overcome.

That said, I have never understood blaming fans for IU FB ills
Yea. For decades IU (the institution) didn’t prioritize or care much about football, and it showed. No school would have much of a fanbase with that approach.

People in Indiana fundamentally like football, IUFB just has to has to give people some inspiration to follow them. We saw this start to happen in 2021 with some improved attendance, but then that season turned out bad and the next two were also bad.

Hopefully we have some success with this new staff and program investment. That would be fun, and great for the athletic dept. and our diehard fans.

Last edited:
Bad fan...BAD!!!

YOU are why IU FB has sucked for 300 years...YOU!!
Yeah, I don’t think anyone has blamed the fans for our historical futility. But I don’t think it’s crazy to recognize we’ve got a fair weather fan base, at best.

For example, we were in a 3 point game last year vs Rutgers at halftime on homecoming and MS cleared out at halftime. That’s when you need/want a home field advantage.

A lot of tickets go unsold, which is very fairly a result of the on-field product. But a lot of tickets get sold to folks wanting good basketball seats who don’t go and/or resell them eventually to visiting fans.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone has blamed the fans for our historical futility. But I don’t think it’s crazy to recognize we’ve got a fair weather fan base, at best.

For example, we were in a 3 point game last year vs Rutgers at halftime on homecoming and MS cleared out at halftime. That’s when you need/want a home field advantage.

A lot of tickets go unsold, which is very fairly a result of the on-field product. But a lot of tickets get sold to folks wanting good basketball seats who don’t go and/or resell them eventually to visiting fans.
I agree with the fair weather for sure, but again we have been conditioned for this by decades of disappointment by the product on the field. This same product combined with the desireable fall weekends in Btown have also created some pretty fantastic tailgating and campus walking. Ours is a very social and interactive alumni base. It will take a lot of Ws to flip this script.

As for blaming the fans...lot's do. We have had this same debate on this board, Peegs etc several times and the blame game is always there, although admittedly some rage came from our favorite pu fan.

Our fan base, and the university, are some of the most unimaginative and uncoordinated in the country. This goes for football and basketball. Every university on the planet has some type of routine they do during games. They do coordinated stuff. Basketball programs have actual student sections that are in the same identical attire.
Our students just show up. That’s it. There’s zero coordinated routines, chants, game gear, etc. We say we have one of the largest student sections for basketball and it’s a mess. Cannot even compare to what other schools in the conference do with their student sections.

Our fan base, and the university, are some of the most unimaginative and uncoordinated in the country. This goes for football and basketball. Every university on the planet has some type of routine they do during games. They do coordinated stuff. Basketball programs have actual student sections that are in the same identical attire.
Our students just show up. That’s it. There’s zero coordinated routines, chants, game gear, etc. We say we have one of the largest student sections for basketball and it’s a mess. Cannot even compare to what other schools in the conference do with their student sections.
Yea, but AH is one of the best atmospheres in the country, so hard to see a problem with it. I like everyone just showing up and organically cheering as they watch the game -- everyone there gets basketball and how to react. I really don't need to see cheesy Paint Crew-style choreography and cheer sheets, or the silly constant jumping and droning "Ohhhhh" like Duke or MSU or their copycats.

As for football, try whatever you want.

Coordinated student sections are for those that need them.

Yea, but AH is one of the best atmospheres in the country, so hard to see a problem with it. I like everyone just showing up and organically cheering as they watch the game -- everyone there gets basketball and how to react. I really don't need to see cheesy Paint Crew-style choreography and cheer sheets, or the silly constant jumping and droning "Ohhhhh" like Duke or MSU or their copycats.

I always thought one of the lamest AH cheers occurred with the cheerleaders spread out flipping alternating placards of “RED” and “WHITE” to hear which section was the loudest saying each word. #1 - No one cared, but like lemmings to the sea, they did it anyway. #2 - Sections always sounded equally as loud, relatively weak, that is. #3 - Innovation is clearly lacking, yet for many years now they continue to subject us to this inane chant.

FWIW, I’m always jealous of the male cheerleaders who have sweaty coed snatch against the back of their bare necks. I’m always reminded of the Paul Anka song lyric (paraphrased), “Wrap your legs ‘round my shoulder. Let me be the one, Baby.”

That just said, I often say things others usually keep to themselves, so forgive me, Father, if immoral thoughts verbalized for public consumption will be found in your “Sins of Mortal Man” category.

Could you give examples of other schools, what they do and why we should emulate them?

I have been to football games at OSU, Michigan and PU. Outside of OSU's band and their script Ohio, nothing sticks in my mind as anything different than what I experienced at IU home games. Wisconsin's jump around seems cool but I go to games to watch the game, everything else is superfluous, IMO.

Could you give examples of other schools, what they do and why we should emulate them?

I have been to football games at OSU, Michigan and PU. Outside of OSU's band and their script Ohio, nothing sticks in my mind as anything different than what I experienced at IU home games. Wisconsin's jump around seems cool but I go to games to watch the game, everything else is superfluous, IMO.
1. Jump Around - Wisconsin
2. Enter Sandman - Virginia Tech (choose one intro and stick with it)
3. Iowa crowd wave to the hospital
4. Twelfth Man towel wave at Texas A&M
5. Penn State white outs
6. More Cow Bell at Mississippi State
7. Army-Navy prisoner exchange
8. The Baylor Line - freshman student tradition
9. Utah - MUSS instructions on what students are to do on specific downs, offense and defense
10. Georgia - 4th quarter lights.

Also, witness the numerous schools that have card sections and roll out giant flags provided by the university.

Basketball environment has slipped way, way down. Not even close to as crazy as it used to be in The Hall. Part of that has to do with the program has done absolutely zilch the last 3 decades. I think we actually have a losing Big Ten record since RMK was dismissed.

Reactions: vesuvius13
AH is very good -- we all know this from going and watching games on TV. Come on now.

I'm not too bummed we don't have some of those listed traditions. But if we add some to FB, great.

Basketball environment has slipped way, way down. Not even close to as crazy as it used to be in The Hall. Part of that has to do with the program has done absolutely zilch the last 3 decades. I think we actually have a losing Big Ten record since RMK was dismissed.
God bless the Mop Lady, but she’s getting stale. If nothing else, make a new video of the red bonnet lady in HD quality. I get flashbacks of Chesty potato chip commercials every time I see the Ch 4-like (lack of) quality. I resist my urge to jump out of my seat to adjust the rabbit ears.

The best team entry music I’ll always contend was when they played Streets With No Name (U2) while the team did an Irish jig in the tunnel. Of course, it helps that it was the Zeller/Olidipo years. The pregame excitement level has been noticeably muted these last few years. If only they would put abraxis in charge, things would be different…a new level of anticipation with excitatory festivities unleashed. Crank up the tribal beat, anonymous DJ man, with Paint It Black! (black as night).

Edited add on…Another thing that needs to go is the band’s inevitable “Wipe Out”. Oh, for sure, every aging Baby Boomer has a special place in their heart for the drum solo, but come on, Man, mix up the entertainment a little. It seems like they’ve been playing that song at IU games since the Ventures released it in ‘63. Samo samo. I like surprises.

Last edited:
God bless the Mop Lady, but she’s getting stale. If nothing else, make a new video of the red bonnet lady in HD quality. I get flashbacks of Chesty potato chip commercials every time I see the Ch 4-like (lack of) quality. I resist my urge to jump out of my seat to adjust the rabbit ears.

The best team entry music I’ll always contend was when they played Streets With No Name (U2) while the team did an Irish jig in the tunnel. Of course, it helps that it was the Zeller/Olidipo years. The pregame excitement level has been noticeably muted these last few years. If only they would put abraxis in charge, things would be different…a new level of anticipation with excitatory festivities unleashed. Crank up the tribal beat, anonymous DJ man, with Paint It Black! (black as night).
U8 TO

That’s some heavy lingo to digest all at once, Man. Can you jive it done a notch for me?

• Haha
Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I’m completely in favor of setting up an “IU Smoke Hut”. Provide an area to smoke a tobbaco cigarette, vape, chew, provide leather loungers where people can buy and smoke cigars. Fully in favor of it and connect it to a gate in a corner section of the stadium. People are going to do it, whether anyone personally agrees with the habit or not.
Michigan has had that for a long time, inside the gates, no pass out needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT