ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Sheridan.

I think Sheridan has been a solid B, but execution is not what it was last year. We have a huge upgrade from quarterback last year, but the drops, turnovers, and bad snaps have stopped the offense from being really good. We are that almost good offense right now. Fryfogle has been a one man wrecking crew though.

Michael Penix makes a lot of offensive coordinators look like geniuses. I’m significantly more concerned about him getting poached than I am Sheridan, who pretty clearly has no idea how to put together a run game. The offensive line isn’t elite, but the scheme and execution are piss poor in that side of the game.

Sheridan’s done more than well enough to this point but the offense has yet to put together an A performance, and we’re more than halfway through the season. The expectations are higher when you have an NFL quarterback. I think he’s done an OK job but Indiana is 40 rushing yards away from winning that game today.

Michael Penix makes a lot of offensive coordinators look like geniuses. I’m significantly more concerned about him getting poached than I am Sheridan, who pretty clearly has no idea how to put together a run game. The offensive line isn’t elite, but the scheme and execution are piss poor in that side of the game.

Sheridan’s done more than well enough to this point but the offense has yet to put together an A performance, and we’re more than halfway through the season. The expectations are higher when you have an NFL quarterback. I think he’s done an OK job but Indiana is 40 rushing yards away from winning that game today.

IU was actually 1 pick 6 along with 1 fumbled ball at the 5 by Ellis and a fumbled interception from winning.

Not sure 40 rush yards makes a difference.

IU was actually 1 pick 6 along with 1 fumbled ball at the 5 by Ellis and a fumbled interception from winning.

Not sure 40 rush yards makes a difference.
If the running game was at all a threat, Indiana runs on the 4th and 2 Ty dropped (that, honestly, could have been six.)

My argument is just that if there was even a bad performance from the run game (and not whatever happened today), Indiana’s able to keep that second quarter closer, and probably win it.

I’m struggling to understand exactly what is everyone’s issue with Sheridan?

When players make plays, the guy looks like a genius, just like any other coach.

We had WRs drop balls today. Should we fire Heard tomorrow am?
Dropping balls is execution. Elite coordinators players execute. They make less mistakes than the other guys. Sheridan has certainly done some good things. But the offense has been mistake prone, and has no rushing game. Allen has said as much after every game. Last year with less talent, we had the third ranked offense in the Big Ten. This year we've done some really good things, but we have shot ourselves in the foot a lot more than we did last year. That's a B to me. The team has improved dramatically, but that's a result of a vastly improved defense.

I'd like Penix fling it 75 plays per game and not run once. If your run can't even keep them honest than no point in running. Never understand the insistence on sticking with something that simply doesn't work. Hasn't worked all year. Just let Penix's arm win games. The run game I have seen has no creativity. Just up the middle into a pile. Nothing play after play after play. You expect more by now.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'd like Penix fling it 75 plays per game and not run once. If your run can't even keep them honest than no point in running. Never understand the insistence on sticking with something that simply doesn't work. Hasn't worked all year. Just let Penix's arm win games. The run game I have seen has no creativity. Just up the middle into a pile. Nothing play after play after play. You expect more by now.

Most coaches will never completely abandon the run even if it isn’t working.. You know why?

it burns clock. It creates fewer minutes in a game that the other team has to work with. Particularly a good offense with Olave, Fields and Teague.

Please explain this statement.

By the type of play they call?

By using an ample amount of stickum?
If you think that the mistakes that players make is not a reflection of coaching, then there would be no reason to have coaches. Demanding coaches run demanding practices and demand concentration and attention to detail. When you don't do that you start to get mistakes, and lapses in concentration. We have had more dropped balls and bad snaps through five games as we did all of last season. And it's largely the same players. That a reflection on a lower level of execution. We have more talent this year. A lot more as Penix is a one man wrecking crew. But we are sloppier than last year. Sheridan is in year 1, but it's clear offensively despite greater talent, we have a lot of self inflicted wounds this year. I think Sheridan has done a decent job, but we are not as clean an offense as last year. It's his 1st year so it's unrealistic to expect perfection. Our defensive coordinator had some rough spats in his first year too.

Last edited:
If you think that the mistakes that players make is not a reflection of coaching, then there would be no reason to have coaches. Demanding coaches run demanding practices and demand concentration and attention to detail. When you don't do that you start to get mistakes, and lapses in concentration. We have had more dropped balls and bad snaps through five games as we did all of last season. And it's largely the same players. That a reflection on a lower level of execution. We have more talent this year. A lot more as Penix is a one man wrecking crew. But we are sloppier than last year. Sheridan is in year 1, but it's clear offensively despite greater talent, we have a lot of self inflicted wounds this year.
Dumb

We didn’t run the ball last year either. It’s not the scheme. It’s the Offensive Line. They get shoved backwards relentlessly in every game. Hiller is one of the worst Offensive Line coaches in P-5. Go ask South Florida and Cincinnati fans what they think of him.

Dropping balls is execution. Elite coordinators players execute. They make less mistakes than the other guys. Sheridan has certainly done some good things. But the offense has been mistake prone, and has no rushing game. Allen has said as much after every game. Last year with less talent, we had the third ranked offense in the Big Ten. This year we've done some really good things, but we have shot ourselves in the foot a lot more than we did last year. That's a B to me. The team has improved dramatically, but that's a result of a vastly improved defense.
Have you ever coached? You do know this team had no spring and no summer 7 on 7?
These drops have been frustrating but blaming offensive coordinator is just plain dumb.

I have been a coach for twenty years. Sheridan is doing a good job for a first year coordinator. I don't know why people get offended when someone points out the offense has been a bit sloppy. The head coach is saying the same thing I am saying after every game. I am basically plagiarizing. The guy that ran the offense last year was so good he got a head job. Sheridan is in his first year. It's not going to be a perfect for a first year coordinator.

I have been a coach for twenty years. Sheridan is doing a good job for a first year coordinator. I don't know why people get offended when someone points out the offense has been a bit sloppy. The head coach is saying the same thing I am saying after every game. I am basically plagiarizing. The guy that ran the offense last year was so good he got a head job. Sheridan is in his first year. It's not going to be a perfect for a first year coordinator.
*MMcCormick quietly backs away from original argument*

Last edited:
If you think that the mistakes that players make is not a reflection of coaching, then there would be no reason to have coaches. Demanding coaches run demanding practices and demand concentration and attention to detail. When you don't do that you start to get mistakes, and lapses in concentration. We have had more dropped balls and bad snaps through five games as we did all of last season. And it's largely the same players. That a reflection on a lower level of execution. We have more talent this year. A lot more as Penix is a one man wrecking crew. But we are sloppier than last year. Sheridan is in year 1, but it's clear offensively despite greater talent, we have a lot of self inflicted wounds this year. I think Sheridan has done a decent job, but we are not as clean an offense as last year. It's his 1st year so it's unrealistic to expect perfection. Our defensive coordinator had some rough spats in his first year too.
stupid , we lose to a top 3 team in the country and its the o cord fault for dropped passes

I don’t know long term what IUs offensive identity will be. CTA is a defense minded HC who would prefer to run the ball and Sheridan has no track record as an OC. Obviously we are playing to the strengths of this roster right now, but not sure how things will look moving forward. Also not sure how that uncertainly impacts recruiting certain positions (RB, OL).

Last edited:
Why is last year’s offense “had less talent? We had same WR’s and two more senior WR’s one who is on Tenn Titans. OL had a player who transferred to IA and one who got drafted. And had pPe ox part of year and only other undefeated QB in B10 this year as QB rotation.

Facts matter.

What positions have you coached? Also last year’s coordinator had a very successful history as a head coach albeit at a lower level. He also had experience as a coordinator especially at that the school where he was named head coach. Please don’t pretend that his one year at IU was what earned him the job.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
I don't know if it is talent or coaching, but we are going to have to get better running the ball. Neither the run play calling nor coaching are where it needs to be. If we need to go get some better big uglies on the line, go get them.

Reactions: Hoosier009 and td75
I was surprised we were able to get off the number of long passes we did, considering the pressure put on Penix due to the lack of rushing game. I thought we would be forced into a short passing game most of the time.

Lack of spring ball could have something to do with the execution.

I'm no coach but I do have two eyes and my eyes tell me that Sheridan's offense is starting to click. His offense in the Penn State game sucked until the 4th quarter. All of the sudden the green light came on and it has gotten better each week, IMO.

Regarding the running game, I just don't think this is a running offense. Deboer's offense wasn't a very good running offense. Deboer's offense did have a nice running attack in last year's Bucket game. I haven't done the percentages, but I'll go out on a limb and say last year's offense achieved 75% of its yardage through the air. This year's offense is probably 80%+...it's a big time passing offense, folks.

I do think that we need to run the ball much, much more effectively, absolutely. The running game just isn't emphasized in this offense if you ask me my honest opinion. Is this offense a West Coast offense????

I'm no coach but I do have two eyes and my eyes tell me that Sheridan's offense is starting to click. His offense in the Penn State game sucked until the 4th quarter. All of the sudden the green light came on and it has gotten better each week, IMO.

Regarding the running game, I just don't think this is a running offense. Deboer's offense wasn't a very good running offense. Deboer's offense did have a nice running attack in last year's Bucket game. I haven't done the percentages, but I'll go out on a limb and say last year's offense achieved 75% of its yardage through the air. This year's offense is probably 80%+...it's a big time passing offense, folks.

I do think that we need to run the ball much, much more effectively, absolutely. The running game just isn't emphasized in this offense if you ask me my honest opinion. Is this offense a West Coast offense????
Last year we averaged 3.6 yard a carry rushing which was about 80th in the country. This year it's dropped to 2.39 which the third worst in NCAA football. We are definitely a passing offense, but we are completely one dimensional at this point. Our offensive efficiency has gone from 17th in the country to 45th, but I agree it's getting better. My biggest concern would be that Penix basically is Indiana's offense. His ability to complete passes under pressure has been simply remarkable. That's not normal. By season's end we'll know which direction the offense is headed.

Reactions: Hoosier009
One note in Sheridan's defense, while the offense is not as "efficient" as last years, the yards per play is identical to last year at 5.39 yards per play. The reason, a lot more big plays this year. Again, you might credit that Penix having a much greater ability to stretch the field than Peyton Ramsey, but this year's offense is more explosive than last year.

Reactions: Hoosier009
I certainly do not understand the nuances of what they may be trying to do with the Stevie Scott runs up the middle on first down so often. Seems like there were five consecutive first downs in the first half where they ran Scott up the middle and every time put themselves behind the chains. Did that effort set up the success they had in the second half? Perhaps. Maybe they got the LBs to hedge a little bit on the first downs and it gave them a little more opening just behind them or something.

I do not see a lot of other teams doing that though so my concern is that they are being a little block headed in trying to get Scott some yardage and finally in the second half gave up a little more on it and went to their pure passing game and dared OSU stop us if you can.

What I’d like to see, which has been mentioned on here in the past is more counters, misdirection plays, some pulling guards and tackles and generally a running game as inventive as the passing attack is. I think that is the only way they can be successful at it.

One concern I have is that the two UM guys on the staff think this is the only way to have a running game because that is what they played in college. I also wonder if Hart is too tied to his fellow New Yorker, Scott and does not give James enough chance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT