ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year's IU NFL Draft Candidates

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Now that 2020 is over, I'm thinking IU going forward is going to have more talent potentially being drafted as the team continues to improve, win and see rising talent hit senior year.

Next year, could see by my initial count up to 8 graduating players who could get consideration:
-Whop WR
-Fryfogle WR (maybe, good sr year)
-Crider (keeping OL streak alive),
-Nworah (if had a great sr yr)
-Jerome Johnson DL
-Swann (maybe if shines)
-Ball (super athlete, if has better sr yr)
-Whitehead - Punter with a legit shot.

Then from here, who knows as IU program turns a corner!

If Penix has a great or even good year, he’s gone. He’s not going to risk another chance of being injured and not get paid.

Now that 2020 is over, I'm thinking IU going forward is going to have more talent potentially being drafted as the team continues to improve, win and see rising talent hit senior year.

Next year, could see by my initial count up to 8 graduating players who could get consideration:
-Whop WR
-Jerome Johnson DL
-Swann (maybe if shines)

Agree with all but Nworah. He will have to become a different player to be considered in the NFL draft. It would be great if he can, but I remain a bit skeptical.

If Penix has a great or even good year, he’s gone. He’s not going to risk another chance of being injured and not get paid.
Penix will be here for two more years at least. It would take IU going to the Rose Bowl or better and Penix having a monster year of 4,500 yds 50TDs with 6 or fewer INTs and those seasons don't roll around very often. Having a very good year according to B1G standards won't get him drafted.

-Whop WR
-Jerome Johnson DL
-Swann (maybe if shines)

How about if we revisit this in mid-October?

I’d counter like another, he’ll need a great year AND scouts putting him in top 5!QB’s to come out. Otherwise why come out early to be a 4th or 5th round pick? I’d like to see a very good year set table for an awesome RS Jr yr, where he then could leave with 1 yr eligibility left.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Agree with all but Nworah. He will have to become a different player to be considered in the NFL draft. It would be great if he can, but I remain a bit skeptical.

I said (if had great senior year) by his name so I’m not hyping him as a can’t miss, another IU OL going to the league.

But at 6’4, 318 if he could put it all together he has the size for an NFL Guard.

Jerome Johnson, Marcelino Ball, and the 2 Stanford transfers.

End of list.
I'd swap Ball for Whop and I think Powell has 2 years remaining, so I wouldn't foresee him coming out after next season, particularly coming off of last year's injury/surgery.

As far as kids who could come out early if they had big years, I'd put Penix & Caleb Jones, but they're both long shots. Penix wouldn't need Heisman numbers, but he'd definitely have to put up All-American numbers. Caleb would have to turn the corner all the way and just be dominant. He's a mountain, and if starts pancaking people left and right, it'd be worth his consideration.

With all of that said, I hope we do lose Penix & Caleb after next season, because with what they'd have to do that would probably mean that IU was in the Rose Bowl or CFP :D

I'd swap Ball for Whop and I think Powell has 2 years remaining, so I wouldn't foresee him coming out after next season, particularly coming off of last year's injury/surgery.

As far as kids who could come out early if they had big years, I'd put Penix & Caleb Jones, but they're both long shots. Penix wouldn't need Heisman numbers, but he'd definitely have to put up All-American numbers. Caleb would have to turn the corner all the way and just be dominant. He's a mountain, and if starts pancaking people left and right, it'd be worth his consideration.

With all of that said, I hope we do lose Penix & Caleb after next season, because with what they'd have to do that would probably mean that IU was in the Rose Bowl or CFP :D

I think fans overvalue their own players. Penix is a nice player who has played in 9 games and finished half of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
I think fans overvalue their own players. Penix is a nice player who has played in 9 games and finished half of them.
Oh, I'm not PROJECTING him to leave after RS-So season. I'm just saying that if he stays healthy, has an AA season, and the Hoosiers go 12-2 and win the Rose Bowl, he'll have a choice to make. Like I said, long shots.

I can see a scenario where the combine is two weeks long with primetime coverage. Of course that would been there was no football season in 2020.

Reactions: TMFT

-Whop WR
-Jerome Johnson DL
-Swann (maybe if shines)

With another solid season I'd say Whop is a 3rd roundish prospect. Think KJ Hambler from Penn State this season.

Everyone else needs career years to get drafted in my opinion. I will also say Ball has probably the most potential on the team, but his performance the last couple seasons has been very disappointing. I truly hope he gives us a great last harrah!

But barring injury, Whop should at least keep the streak alive, with a couple more kids having the potential as well.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
I love Penix. But he's gonna have to finish in the top 2 or 3 of the Heisman race to even remotely consider going pro. A dual threat with an injury history is not likely to get you drafted after one season. He's going to have to stay healthy from here on out to have a shot.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
I can see a scenario where the combine is two weeks long with primetime coverage. Of course that would been there was no football season in 2020.
There's been a lot of talk to start televising pro days at the power 5 conferences as well. Probably not all teams, but easily the Alabamas, OSU's, PSU's, LSU's, etc of the world.

Oh, I'm not PROJECTING him to leave after RS-So season. I'm just saying that if he stays healthy, has an AA season, and the Hoosiers go 12-2 and win the Rose Bowl, he'll have a choice to make. Like I said, long shots.

Dual threat QBs are good NFL backups IMO.

With another solid season I'd say Whop is a 3rd roundish prospect. Think KJ Hambler from Penn State this season.

Everyone else needs career years to get drafted in my opinion. I will also say Ball has probably the most potential on the team, but his performance the last couple seasons has been very disappointing. I truly hope he gives us a great last harrah!

But barring injury, Whop should at least keep the streak alive, with a couple more kids having the potential as well.
If Westbrook didn't get drafted, Whop won't, either.

Good player, but he shies away from contact. I don't know how many times I saw him pull up short last year to avoid contact. Or not stretch for a ball when a good effort could have gotten a completion.

If he has a really monster year, he'll get drafted because he's a Special Teams player.

But I think IU fans think he's more than what he is. JMO.

Andrew Luck, Aaron Rodgers, etc all have mobility and athleticism to run at any time. Would never consider either of those guys dual-threat. Penix has 22 carries in 6 games, nothing I would equate being dual-threat.

Whatever you say

Whatever you say

I know he was limited but did you actually watch Penix last year? How many design runs were called for him? How many times did he leave the pocket early without going through his progressions? The answer is not many. Penix is a drop back passer in almost any regard. Being fast and mobile doesn’t mean you’re a dual-threat QB.

I know he was limited but did you actually watch Penix last year? How many design runs were called for him? How many times did he leave the pocket early without going through his progressions? The answer is not many. Penix is a drop back passer in almost any regard. Being fast and mobile doesn’t mean you’re a dual-threat QB.

Whatever you say

If Westbrook didn't get drafted, Whop won't, either.

Good player, but he shies away from contact. I don't know how many times I saw him pull up short last year to avoid contact. Or not stretch for a ball when a good effort could have gotten a completion.

If he has a really monster year, he'll get drafted because he's a Special Teams player.

But I think IU fans think he's more than what he is. JMO.

Fans do that.

Love the kid

Ball will be a test monster. He's the kind of athlete to blow the charts up. Ball should aim to make a lot of money from his testing performances.

There's NFL talent at both tackle positions, IMHO. I thought Caleb Jones was impressive throughout the year. He would have to have a monster year to come out next year.

Reactions: DANC and TMFT
Surprised at the lack of mentions for Caleb Jones? Was honorable all-mention B10 last year. Given his sheer size he's by far and away the most intriguing prospect Indiana has.
Jones showed awesome work inside the five yard line. Ramsey ran behind Jones over and over for easy touchdowns in that scenario throughout the year. He is such a massive man, and if he gets mits on you, you're out of the play.

Reactions: DANC
Ball will be a test monster. He's the kind of athlete to blow the charts up. Ball should aim to make a lot of money from his testing performances.

Do you think Ball projects as a safety or LB at the next level? I thought he was going to be a star as a freshman but seems to have regressed a bit. Obviously injuries can do that, but to me he's a tweener. Think he's got intriguing measurables but not sure he has a natural position.

Surprised at the lack of mentions for Caleb Jones? Was honorable all-mention B10 last year. Given his sheer size he's by far and away the most intriguing prospect Indiana has.

I agree. But not next year IMHO. And I think he'll end up as a guard.

Do you think Ball projects as a safety or LB at the next level? I thought he was going to be a star as a freshman but seems to have regressed a bit. Obviously injuries can do that, but to me he's a tweener. Think he's got intriguing measurables but not sure he has a natural position.

Unless he REALLY shows improvement in pass coverage, I'm betting on OLB. He does do a mean blitz, so maybe he could fit into a 3-4 scheme? No matter what, I think he'll be a project because of his shortcomings, but I also think he'll get drafted because of being such a workout warrior. It worked for Adam Archuleta.

Reactions: td75 and DANC

There's NFL talent at both tackle positions, IMHO. I thought Caleb Jones was impressive throughout the year. He would have to have a monster year to come out next year.

MB needs to get his head on straight and have a very productive year if he wants to sniff draft day. He has regressed in execution and decision making.

Jones showed awesome work inside the five yard line. Ramsey ran behind Jones over and over for easy touchdowns in that scenario throughout the year. He is such a massive man, and if he gets mits on you, you're out of the play.
Loved that quick snap dive over right tackle play by Ramsey. Worked every time.

Loved that quick snap dive over right tackle play by Ramsey. Worked every time.

Show of hands of those who saw Ramsey rush the team to the goal line in the OOB and were able to call the play at that moment? Kind of like when he'd get the D to jump on the hard count every game, "Welp, Nick's getting a jump ball in his general direction." :D

That QB sneak to the right was automatic this year.

Reactions: DANC
Show of hands of those who saw Ramsey rush the team to the goal line in the OOB and were able to call the play at that moment? Kind of like when he'd get the D to jump on the hard count every game, "Welp, Nick's getting a jump ball in his general direction." :D

That QB sneak to the right was automatic this year.

Agreed. And I love that they go under center. Drives me absolutely insane when teams get cute and run out of the gun down on the goal line.

MB needs to get his head on straight and have a very productive year if he wants to sniff draft day. He has regressed in execution and decision making.
Agree 100%...He has shown lots of immaturity when things don't go well...Let's hope he is hitting on all cylinders this fall!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT