ADVERTISEMENT

New Yorkers Lining Up for Trump

I agree with this (although I have to say I'd never heard of him before this).

You're certainly right that we have different standards for different contexts. If he'd have told these same jokes at a comedy club or on his show or somewhere we typically go for stand-up comedy, nobody would've batted an eye. He probably wouldn't have told them on The Tonight Show or somewhere like that. But he probably would've told them on, say, a Netflix show.

But, yeah, wrong place, wrong time, wrong context.
I can’t stand progressives and I’ve said that endlessly obviously but trump and his people are just so incredibly half-assed. Only against a progressive would I vote for trump. How stupid not to have a staffer say hey I need to scan your material. It’s a week before the election we vet everything

I can’t stand progressives and I’ve said that endlessly obviously but trump and his people are just so incredibly half-assed. Only against a progressive would I vote for trump. How stupid not to have a staffer say hey I need to scan your material. It’s a week before the election we vet everything
500,000 Puerto Ricans in PA. And guess who was in PA at the same time.

He really is the definition of a C- student somehow just skating through life and good shit just keeps happening to him. I think a complete and utter lack of shame is the key here.

Why does anyone care about shithole countries like Puerto Rico?
*territories

I don't want to read too much into it. But it could be symptomatic of an organization where the leadership culture doesn't allow for much empowerment beyond one man. If the people in junior roles feel petrified to make a decision that isn't explicitly directed by their superior -- somebody who likely feels similar to whoever they report to -- I could see where common sense matters like this might slip through the cracks. In other words, if Trump himself didn't think of it, then nobody will do it...even if they're pretty sure it's in the campaign's best interest.

I'm not saying this is definitely what is going on here. But it is a fairly common symptom of these kinds of organizations. People aren't using their own judgments and experiences to guide the use of their talents and skills. They've been conditioned to just taking orders and feel entirely disempowered to do anything else.

He really is the definition of a C- student somehow just skating through life and good shit just keeps happening to him. I think a complete and utter lack of shame is the key here.

*territories
Yup. Idiot.

Reactions: larsIU
Hell there isn’t. The skin color is orange.

And Trump's got the Oompaloompa vote - ALL OF IT!!! Harris is so anti-Oompaloompa it's not even funny. The whole damn Dem party is anti-Oompaloompa and racist with it's Orange Man Bad BS!! I saw an Oompaloompa at Kroger wearing white face just to shop in peace!!! SMH

And Trump's got the Oompaloompa vote - ALL OF IT!!! Harris is so anti-Oompaloompa it's not even funny. The whole damn Dem party is anti-Oompaloompa and racist with it's Orange Man Bad BS!! I saw an Oompaloompa at Kroger wearing white face just to shop in peace!!! SMH
Sir, Oompa-Loompa is the preferred nomenclature.

Please.

I don't want to read too much into it. But it could be symptomatic of an organization where the leadership culture doesn't allow for much empowerment beyond one man. If the people in junior roles feel petrified to make a decision that isn't explicitly directed by their superior -- somebody who likely feels similar to whoever they report to -- I could see where common sense matters like this might slip through the cracks. In other words, if Trump himself didn't think of it, then nobody will do it...even if they're pretty sure it's in the campaign's best interest.

I'm not saying this is definitely what is going on here. But it is a fairly common symptom of these kinds of organizations. People aren't using their own judgments and experiences to guide the use of their talents and skills. They've been conditioned to just taking orders and feel entirely disempowered to do anything else.
And lord knows trump doesn’t think.

We should get a comedian. Loosen up the crowd.
On it. I got Tony xxxxxx
Oh yeah I saw that guy. Very funny

Then that’s it 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: BradStevens

*territories
I'm pretty sure Uncle Mark was making a joke in calling PR a country - or auditioning for the next Trump rally.

And lord knows trump doesn’t think.

We should get a comedian. Loosen up the crowd.
On it. I got Tony xxxxxx
Oh yeah I saw that guy. Very funny

Then that’s it 🤣🤣🤣
That's certainly true.

Thing is: it's OK for a top leader to not be too caught up in the details. In fact, it's usually better that they aren't. There are too many details to complicated things (not that this is all that complicated). The best leaders concern themselves mostly with vision, strategy, goals, accountability, communication, organizational design and construction, etc. They build great teams -- the right people, in the right roles -- and then rely on the members of that team to excel at their roles.

I'm not saying that an organization can't be effective as a top down one. But the larger and more complex an organization is, the harder that is to pull off successfully. There are just too many data points -- like vetting a comedian's script before he takes the stage in a high profile political event that will be seen by millions, and come under hard scrutiny from your adversaries.

So how you're describing Trump isn't necessarily his problem. His problem is the mixture of that and the fact that he's the only one who has good ideas. Everybody else is afraid to deviate from their explicit instructions.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Sir, Oompa-Loompa is the preferred nomenclature.

Please.
This would've been a better had you said...

"Oh, and Dude, Oompa-Loompa is not the preferred nomenclature. Orange-American, please."

1098656241-Waltershocked.png

You are reading too much into it. Nobody gives a crap about that comedian who most people never heard of.

The story of MSG is not his jokes, except if you are a Kamala voter because otherwise you got nuthin’.

Reactions: stollcpa
You are reading too much into it. Nobody gives a crap about that comedian who most people never heard of.

The story of MSG is not his jokes, except if you are a Kamala voter because otherwise you got nuthin’.
Not true COH. I got on the internet and the first story was the racist jokes. Not great rally. It was racist jokes. Beyond stupid

Well, the bulk of the coverage -- aside from the bizarre and desperate claim that it was a "Nazi rally" -- seems focused on this. Granted, if it hadn't have been what this comedian said, they'd have found something else to drive home the same point. The mainstream media is, pretty much exclusively, bitterly opposed to Donald Trump and they're going to push whatever they can to impede his candidacy. That's a given.

But, still, it was a helluva gift to Trump's adversaries. And I say that as somebody who wasn't, personally, all that put off by it. By comedic standards, it was quite mild. By political rally standards -- especially one that is being painted as a Nazi rally by its opponents -- is was a big unforced error, playing right into their hands.

Well, the bulk of the coverage -- aside from the bizarre and desperate claim that it was a "Nazi rally" -- seems focused on this. Granted, if it hadn't have been what this comedian said, they'd have found something else to drive home the same point. The mainstream media is, pretty much exclusively, bitterly opposed to Donald Trump and they're going to push whatever they can to impede his candidacy. That's a given.

But, still, it was a helluva gift to Trump's adversaries. And I say that as somebody who wasn't, personally, all that put off by it. By comedic standards, it was quite mild. By political rally standards -- especially one that is being painted as a Nazi rally by its opponents -- is was a big unforced error, playing right into their hands.
How many ways can the media show the country they are full of shit? The “coverage” provides affirmation to never Trumpers—that’s it.

How many ways can the media show the country they are full of shit? The “coverage” provides affirmation to never Trumpers—that’s it.
Nonsense. Trump has been eating into key non-white demos this cycle, and if he wins, that will be a big part of it. It's not about affirmation. It's about not turning off potential new supporters. That's why it's a huge unforced error.

Reactions: BradStevens
Nonsense. Trump has been eating into key non-white demos this cycle, and if he wins, that will be a big part of it. It's not about affirmation. It's about not turning off potential new supporters. That's why it's a huge unforced error.
You are speculating along Liberal talking points— demographics and skin color. That so late 20th Century. I’ve read and listened to a fair amount of commentary about Trump inroads with minorities, not one mention of skin color or demographics.

There are Puerto Ricans all over Twitter talking about how they and their families were planning to vote for Trump but not now. Not sure if any of that is true however I do know there is 500,000 Puerto Ricans in Pennsylvania. Really dumb move by Trump's team.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Anyone have a read on the "secret" DJT was alluding to during his speech? i.e. He seemed to imply that he's got a plan for if/when he loses the election because Pubs control the house. Messing with/invalidating electors??

You are speculating along Liberal talking points— demographics and skin color. That so late 20th Century. I’ve read and listened to a fair amount of commentary about Trump inroads with minorities, not one mention of skin color or demographics.
Listen to yourself. Liberal talking points? Trump's potential success with black males and Hispanics, that's not liberal talk. It's what you guys have been bragging about.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Anyone have a read on the "secret" DJT was alluding to during his speech? i.e. He seemed to imply that he's got a plan for if/when he loses the election because Pubs control the house. Messing with/invalidating electors??
Geez 🙄

A lot of people in this thread who have never met an actual Puerto Rican.

The only PR upset by that joke is AOC
Heh. While that's certainly an exaggeration (duh), I do think it gets at a worthy point.

Surely, all people of PR descent who are already voting for Harris would express outrage at it. I'd guess that most people of PR descent who are voting for Trump would shrug it off. But maybe not all -- and what of those who might be on the fence?

It would be interesting to learn. I'd guess that the actual impact would be fairly muted. But...who knows? Either way, nobody could say that it was helpful from Trump's perspective.

Nothing but positive coning from MSG Rally. Dems will be Dems.

How is it "dems being dems" when you guys have a guy on stage calling P.R. trash or saying he hung out with a black guy carving watermelon.

Don't want to be associated with that kind of talk, don't do it. Words matter (which keeps being said here), so don't talk like that when all it does is make the left look like they knew what they were talking about.

How is it "dems being dems" when you guys have a guy on stage calling P.R. trash or saying he hung out with a black guy carving watermelon.

Don't want to be associated with that kind of talk, don't do it. Words matter (which keeps being said here), so don't talk like that when all it does is make the left look like they knew what they were talking about.

I certainly wouldn't say that it's a good thing, if you're Trump (or supporting Trump).

But I also think it comes up extremely short from being a QED about the event being a Nazi rally. That's like "basket of deplorables" on steroids. And what's interesting is that most Dem analysts, strategists, talking heads, etc. said after the 2016 that Hillary's slam of Trump supporters (or some large part of his supporters) was not helpful for her.

A standard maxim in politics is that, you can slam your opponent all you want, but stop short of doing it to their voters....who are the fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, friends, coworkers, neighbors of everybody else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT