ADVERTISEMENT

New Tom Crean Interview/Video

Has anyone ever heard him say anything to the effect of "we just didn't win enough games"?

Did he say it here?
No but I have heard him say different times this week "this wasn't about winning and losing" ... "we did everything right" .... then he moves into the 'alignment' angle that was announced in the Harbaugh interviews. He needs to get out of coaching and go into politics.

"The program right now is in considerably better shape than it was when Crean took over. Obviously no comparison. And the current status is what's going to (should) enable Miller to really succeed. Let's hope that he does."
This is the key element to take from the last nine years imo. We had some great moment, really fun, but we had way too many no so great moments in between. But in the end, unmet expectations or not, as the baton is passed, the program is far better shape now than when he arrived. Thats no small thing imo. That is an expectation he did meet. The problem became about the other expectations. There was never just one, but a wish list of them. Some got checked off, too many didnt. Hes not a failure...he just needed more done.

Thats not a terrible legacy. I wish him well in his next job. Thanks for the classy exit. Take note Knight.

THAT is a bold statement and I would love to see where you get your facts. I know many coaches and none of them would agree with this statement.
You don't need testimonials to prove this. Look how poorly he recruited his home. By recruiting away from people that know him, he was able to use his gimmicks.

You don't need testimonials to prove this. Look how poorly he recruited his home. By recruiting away from people that know him, he was able to use his gimmicks.

True. Yogi Ferrell, Cody Zeller, James Blackmon Jr, Jordan Hulls, Colin Hartman, Hanner Perea, Ron Patterson, Peter Jurkin, Devin Davis were all 4 or 5 stars from IN who committed to IU. That averages out to be 1 top Indiana player per year. I thought he recruited the state great up until the last couple of years. It was definitely on the downswing and maybe that could be tied together but I believe there is more conjecture there that's being spoken like it's a fact.

True. Yogi Ferrell, Cody Zeller, James Blackmon Jr, Jordan Hulls, Colin Hartman, Hanner Perea, Ron Patterson, Peter Jurkin, Devin Davis were all 4 or 5 stars from IN who committed to IU. That averages out to be 1 top Indiana player per year. I thought he recruited the state great up until the last couple of years. It was definitely on the downswing and maybe that could be tied together but I believe there is more conjecture there that's being spoken like it's a fact.
Perea and Jurkin was not from Indiana. Perea played at a prep school in state and Jurkin never played HS ball in the state.

Reactions: hgdownunder
Perea and Jurkin was not from Indiana. Perea played at a prep school in state and Jurkin never played HS ball in the state.

Perea was not from Indiana, he just played hs ball here? lol What did you think I was referencing? You're right about Jurkin though, he was just Hanners AAU teammate for Indiana Elite.

You are right in that he did an average job recruiting the state, but then people got to know him and his gimmicks were no longer effective.

No but I have heard him say different times this week "this wasn't about winning and losing" ... "we did everything right" .... then he moves into the 'alignment' angle that was announced in the Harbaugh interviews. He needs to get out of coaching and go into politics.

Crean seems to be a lot like Steve Lavin. Not really good enough at a blue blood spot but has had some rather notable success and is a good talker which generates some recruiting success to help stay afloat.

He brought the program back up to the top for a while, but couldn't sustain it. He will do fine at another program and could get a team put together that would be successful. I just don't believe he could do it here again.

I wish him luck and hope he takes a job he can retire from.

^^^^^ This I agree with 100%. I've previously shared my story about recovering from cancer and CTC signing a basketball, along with Cody, Vic, and the rest of the team too. Granted, it is a signature on a basketball but none the less it inspired my battle that year and I will always believe CTC has a big heart; he cares about people and is generally a good person. I hope his is very successful in his next gig but of course not so much when they pit his team against IU (as you know the NCAA will do) in future tournament games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT