ADVERTISEMENT

New Safeties coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take is that many teams have somewhat "figured out" our recent version of the 4-2-5 and he's looking to put a new spin on the attack... Even our hero at S. Alabama got waxed in their Bowl game... If you stand pat on D these days you get run over...

I like the concept of having a new guy call it with a different slant on things...
Agreed. I think Allen needs to be the HC of the whole team and not just the Defense.

And I think we all saw how even 1 great player can impact a Defense when McFadden went down vs Cincinnati. We lost our way on Defense after that and haven't really found it since.

Coaching can make up for some player deficiencies, but in the end, it's about the players.

My recollection is the Purdue game was cancelled twice due to COVID, and Outback bowl preparations were hampered too. We didn’t escape COVID’s impact altogether.
We didn’t, though the bowl game was far less impacted by it than was the Purdue game. We’ve always used most of the extra bowl practices like a mini Spring anyway, so freshmen tend to get a much larger chunk of time until the normal prep week before the game. So we had a large collection of players then.

Agreed. I think Allen needs to be the HC of the whole team and not just the Defense.

And I think we all saw how even 1 great player can impact a Defense when McFadden went down vs Cincinnati. We lost our way on Defense after that and haven't really found it since.

Coaching can make up for some player deficiencies, but in the end, it's about the players.
Yep...

And that's the magic ingredient that we've been missing... Leaders that can lead by example on and off the field... If we can ever come close to duplicating the Leadership of McFadden and Whop (along with another solid Ramsey type at QB) we'll really have something again...

Our Covid issues alone would’ve (and did) necessitate the cancellation of the Bucket game, but we also know that Purdue had them, as well, so there was no chance that game was ever going to be played.
Obviously.

That doesn't change your PU narrative that Covid helped IU or the reality that it cost us another I on the chain.

I like your contribution to the board Jack - I will say that I feel that you overstate the Covid effect on the 2020 season,but that’s just my opinion - keep posting.

I like your contribution to the board Jack - I will say that I feel that you overstate the Covid effect on the 2020 season,but that’s just my opinion - keep posting.
Thanks. The Covid info came from someone very close to the program, and I’ve always thought it reflected very positively on Coach Allen and the team. Some people are obviously threatened by it, but the results during and after that season make it very clear that there was a large helping of secret sauce that we were advantaged by, only for it to go away.

Been a fan for decades and have known coaches (HCs and assistants) through several different eras. Hope we can turn the corner someday.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Thanks. The Covid info came from someone very close to the program, and I’ve always thought it reflected very positively on Coach Allen and the team. Some people are obviously threatened by it, but the results during and after that season make it very clear that there was a large helping of secret sauce that we were advantaged by, only for it to go away.

Been a fan for decades and have known coaches (HCs and assistants) through several different eras. Hope we can turn the corner someday.
Did you know the old ticket manager, Bill King?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT