ADVERTISEMENT

New OC needs to flip Brady Allen

Honestly, short of the Brohms leaving Purdue AND IU getting some world-beating OC signed up by like tomorrow, I can't imagine there's going to be any way that Allen would flip.

Also, he's had a great year in 3A this season, but his team success has been underwhelming through the rest of his HS career. That's not to say he won't end up being a very fine B1G QB, I just don't think he's by any means a lock to end up in NYC for the Heisman ceremony when it's all said and done.

If the coaches believe in Hoover as who they want for this class, I'm not second guessing them. He's certainly not a 2* they're taking a flyer on or something.

Can we stop with the delusion, there is not one recruit that will flip from IU to PU or vice versa at this point, the in-state guy committed to IU all have some direct tie to the university other than it just being their home school. For PU, the only one's worth trying to flip are Strickland and Allen, Strickland already took a hard look at both and has family ties to PU, I'm sure he's locked in. As for Allen, there is no way he is going to flip from an offensive HC to come to a team that currently doesn't have an OC and has a defensive HC.

Hoover was a very productive QB who played at the highest level of HS football, I think he flew under the radar because of how many phenomenal players come out of Texas, given IU's OC situation, just be grateful he doesn't have any other P5 offers.

Can we stop with the delusion, there is not one recruit that will flip from IU to PU or vice versa at this point, the in-state guy committed to IU all have some direct tie to the university other than it just being their home school. For PU, the only one's worth trying to flip are Strickland and Allen, Strickland already took a hard look at both and has family ties to PU, I'm sure he's locked in. As for Allen, there is no way he is going to flip from an offensive HC to come to a team that currently doesn't have an OC and has a defensive HC.

Hoover was a very productive QB who played at the highest level of HS football, I think he flew under the radar because of how many phenomenal players come out of Texas, given IU's OC situation, just be grateful he doesn't have any other P5 offers.
Allen and Strickland are rooming with each other starting spring semester.

Worth repeating: Speculation of course but we have 5 QB's on scholarship. Penix, Tuttle, Williams, McCulley, Hoover. One will transfer, one will change position leaving us with three and Gremel.

Worth repeating: Speculation of course but we have 5 QB's on scholarship. Penix, Tuttle, Williams, McCulley, Hoover. One will transfer, one will change position leaving us with three and Gremel.
I can see maybe McCulley doing a position change, depending on how Williams & Hoover end up looking in the spring/fall camp. Maybe he transfers, but he can't feel really bullish on his long term QB prospects after how this year went. Hope he proves me wrong.

The wildcards are Tuttle & Penix. I can see Penix hanging 'em up. I can also see Tuttle sticking around for one more year as the starter or primary backup. I think by now he has to realize the NFL is probably a long shot and he seems to be a real "team" guy.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I can see maybe McCulley doing a position change, depending on how Williams & Hoover end up looking in the spring/fall camp. Maybe he transfers, but he can't feel really bullish on his long term QB prospects after how this year went. Hope he proves me wrong.

The wildcards are Tuttle & Penix. I can see Penix hanging 'em up. I can also see Tuttle sticking around for one more year as the starter or primary backup. I think by now he has to realize the NFL is probably a long shot and he seems to be a real "team" guy.

Tuttle looks like the most probable starter. Possibly splitting time with McCulley, with McCulley getting more of the short yardage situations. Wouldn't be surprised to see two leave (Penix & Williams). Also wouldn't be surprised to see one arrive in the transfer portal because, if I was CTA, I'd be pretty nervous about that QB room.

Reactions: 76-1 and TMFT
Tuttle looks like the most probable starter. Possibly splitting time with McCulley, with McCulley getting more of the short yardage situations. Wouldn't be surprised to see two leave (Penix & Williams). Also wouldn't be surprised to see one arrive in the transfer portal because, if I was CTA, I'd be pretty nervous about that QB room.
I get the feeling that Allen thought Penix is the best choice given that he continually played him the first half of the season without trying anyone else. Interesting point on getting a qb via transfer portal.

There's a very fair argument that Tuttle was the worst of the three scholarship QBs this year. Especially since he got most of the off-season first team reps before Penix got back and didn't have recovering from injury or being a freshman to excuse how he performed, outside of the Rutgers game. At least McCulley showed real potential as a runner. Tuttle didn't do anything well all year outside of the opening drive against OSU. If he's the starter next year, that doesn't at all bode well for the position, IMO.

And why would Williams transfer, at least any time soon, when the position is so up in the air for next season? He hasn't gotten a chance to compete for the starting job yet, and you'd think he'd at least want to stick around for spring and see how his position and outlook look like they're going to shake out for the coming season before considering pulling the plug.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that Allen thought Penix is the best choice given that he continually played him the first half of the season without trying anyone else. Interesting point on getting a qb via transfer portal.

Penix absolutely gave us the best chance to win. Anyone that didn't see that doesn't understand the game. When he went down, so did any chance of a semi consistent passing game we had. Teams didn't have to respect us through the air anymore and could cheat up. They at least had to somewhat play us straight up with Penix in the game.

Penix absolutely gave us the best chance to win. Anyone that didn't see that doesn't understand the game. When he went down, so did any chance of a semi consistent passing game we had. Teams didn't have to respect us through the air anymore and could cheat up. They at least had to somewhat play us straight up with Penix in the game.
I would agree with that for a few games based on his performance last year but his game was severely off and to not even try Tuttle, I believe was a mistake. Sitting on the bench can be a great motivator too.

I would agree with that for a few games based on his performance last year but his game was severely off and to not even try Tuttle, I believe was a mistake. Sitting on the bench can be a great motivator too.

They have tried Tuttle. I'm fairly certain we know what we're getting with Tuttle. Tuttle has yet to pass for over 200 yards in a game. He's not a threat and turns the ball over.

Penix without a doubt gave us the best shot to win.

They have tried Tuttle. I'm fairly certain we know what we're getting with Tuttle. Tuttle has yet to pass for over 200 yards in a game. He's not a threat and turns the ball over.

Very true.

Also true: Penix can't play a full season. Half season?

I was referring to the earlier part of the season when Penix wasn't performing and it was obvious we weren't going anywhere. Try Tuttle or even get someone else prepared. Fast forward and I agree we now know what we have with Tuttle but I'm afraid we might also know what we have with Penix. I do hope he rebounds in 2022 if he stays.

I was referring to the earlier part of the season when Penix wasn't performing and it was obvious we weren't going anywhere. Try Tuttle or even get someone else prepared. Fast forward and I agree we now know what we have with Tuttle but I'm afraid we might also know what we have with Penix. I do hope he rebounds in 2022 if he stays.

For his career, I believe Penix has a winning record as a starter. How many Indiana quarterbacks can say that?

Edit: his career record is 14-6 as a starter at Indiana for his career.

Time will tell if Allen can buck the trend of highly rated QB's from Indiana failing to produce in college. Look at the results for Stevens, Johnson, Peters, Adian Smith, and even McCulley. When is the last time a high school QB from the state of Indiana has set the world on fire?

Time will tell if Allen can buck the trend of highly rated QB's from Indiana failing to produce in college. Look at the results for Stevens, Johnson, Peters, Adian Smith, and even McCulley. When is the last time a high school QB from the state of Indiana has set the world on fire?
Recent memory says Purdue has had a couple from Illinois, with O'Connell being a Chicago native, but I can't think of any from indiana. This is a great question actually.

Chandler Harnish, Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler.. define the world? Curtis Painter was a decent college QB but not a killer.

Last good qb to come out of indiana was Danny Etling, but he wasn't good until he got to LSU.

As for qb to set the world on fire, Rex Grossman comes to mind. He absolutely tore it at Florida.

Per Tuttle, he didn’t have a great year but I don’t think he, Penix or anyone could be judged fairly behind our OL and the offensive scheme under Sheridan this year.

I loved Tuttle’s opening drive vs OSU, but upon throwing a great TD ball, he got crunched by two oncoming OSU Defenders but he stood in there and delivered a TD dime. He had also thrown a super ball to TE Barner vs Idaho that went for about a 60 yd TD.

I’d still be okay with him having a shot behind a better line and better coaching & offense scheme from hopefully an excellent new OC & staff. I am not saying he is NFL Joe Burrow, but Allen/Sheridan did him dirty not giving him more game snaps earlier, then sending them all out there to run for their lives & health behind Hiller’s porous OL!

Last edited:
Per Tuttle, he didn’t have a great year but I don’t think he, Penix or anyone could be judged behind our OL and the offensive scheme under Sheridan this year.

I loved Tuttle’s opening drive va OSU, but upon throwing a great TD ball he got crunched by two oncoming Defenders but he stood in there and delivered a dime. He had also thrown a super ball to TE Barner vs Idaho that went for about a 60 yd TD.

I’d still be okay with him behind a better line and better coaching & offense from hopefully an excellent new OC & staff. I am not saying he is NFL Joe Burrow, but Allen/Sheridan did him dirty not giving him more game snaps earlier, then sending them all out to run for their lives behind Hiller’s porous OL!
Lot of good points here. Think about the first drive against Purdue. Sheridan had a good script and Gremel executed. Once Lambert took that punch he made adjustments and Sheridan never did. Tuttle showed the same ability to execute good play calling but isn't good enough to elevate bad or ok play calling. Sure the OL isn't good but the same OL with better coordination could at least win a few more games. Tuttle may not be the guy but he could be a lot better than Sheridan made him.

QB will definitely be an interesting position next year. The most predictable lineup would be 5 scholarship QB's and a depth chart of Penix, Tuttle, McCulley/Williams, Hoover. But honestly, with the transfer portal being at play and a new OC coming in I don't want to even try and predict who will stay and who will go. My guess is that if Penix doesn't win the starting job(which I feel is unlikely w/o major strides from the QB's behind him but still possible), he'll definitely enter the portal, not sure if Tuttle would transfer if he's 2nd string but I wouldn't blame him. He has the ability to be an above average starter at a GO5 school. If Williams falls behind McCulley on the depth chart he could also enter the portal. Then you throw in the wildcard of the OC wanting to snag someone out of the portal and who knows what the returners do then. Needless to say, we should expect chaos to ensue this offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT