ADVERTISEMENT

New Aminu Mohammed crystal ball

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Damn, looks like Tom Crean and Georgia might land Mohammed. Crystal ball just came in for Georgia. Bummer

Who cares. Mohammed sounds like a kid who has zero interest in playing in college. He's as likely to end up in the G-league or on the Moon.
missing on 5 star OADs who are already looking for agents before they step on campus really doesn't impact the program as much as missing on 4 star players (in-state especially, just from a marketing standpoint) who will be in the program for 3-4 yrs. Can you honestly tell me that Noah Vonleh (or Romeo) had more impact at IU than Robbie Hummel did at Purdue?

I was looking back at posts from 2 yrs ago and everyone was in agreement that the in-state class of 2021 was going to be huge for CAM. I'll give CAM credit for Lander, since he was originally the crown jewel of the class. But losing both Furst and TK to CMP is going to come back and sting us in the ass, probably for more than just one season.

missing on 5 star OADs who are already looking for agents before they step on campus really doesn't impact the program as much as missing on 4 star players (in-state especially, just from a marketing standpoint) who will be in the program for 3-4 yrs. Can you honestly tell me that Noah Vonleh (or Romeo) had more impact at IU than Robbie Hummel did at Purdue?

I was looking back at posts from 2 yrs ago and everyone was in agreement that the in-state class of 2021 was going to be huge for CAM. I'll give CAM credit for Lander, since he was originally the crown jewel of the class. But losing both Furst and TK to CMP is going to come back and sting us in the ass, probably for more than just one season.

Excellent point.

There’s been a ton of posts on here critical of Crean’s roster construction. I haven’t seen much criticism here of Miller’s roster construction, or ability to build a team for the future. Seems like I am a lone voice screaming in the wilderness regarding this.

He has brought in plenty of talent. But, I honestly don’t see a plan for a front court in the future. A year ago we were looking at:

Losing Smith, Brunk and TJD after this year. Throw in Durham and that’s 4 of 5 starters. And losing Race and Phin after next year. Miller has ridden the Crean recruits as hard as he possibly could and sprinkled in 1-2 year players like Romeo, Fitzner, Lander, Brunk and TJD. Where are the four year players?

Now, I’m not suggesting we don’t recruit kids like Romeo or TJD. Of course we should.

But where is the plan for building a team beyond this year?

Perhaps we catch a break and benefit from the extra year of eligibility or new transfer portal. But that’s not something that was planned for.

I’m sure this will bring out people saying that I am just blind to the brilliant plan that Miller has for the future, but all I see is question marks. We are talented and experienced this year. But we are staring at a complete roster turnover, and we will get young, and fast. Supposedly Miller was going to help us get old and stay old. Four years in and I don’t see it.

This

Each opportunity is different and has to be examined individually.

You can't be so negative. Rikki will call you out and scold you for doing so. You have been warned. Didn't you hear? This is going to be a great year!

You can't be so negative. Rikki will call you out and scold you for doing so. You have been warned. Didn't you hear? This is going to be a great year!
this should actually be a pretty good year (assuming we have a season). At least, it had better be a sizable step forward.

My concern is 2-3 yrs from now when we are woefully thin on size. Starting with missing on Garcia last yr, CAM has swung and missed at a couple high profile recruits who seem to be similar type players-bigger inside/out (or outside/in) who can play inside and hit 3s. Trying to determine if it's just some bad luck or if these type of players aren't being sold on IU and CAM's system. I'm all about patterns and starting to see one that I hope is broken quickly.

And....if you take Lander out of the '20 class, it's a very mediocre class for a school like Indiana.

Reactions: IUgradman
Excellent point.

There’s been a ton of posts on here critical of Crean’s roster construction. I haven’t seen much criticism here of Miller’s roster construction, or ability to build a team for the future. Seems like I am a lone voice screaming in the wilderness regarding this.

He has brought in plenty of talent. But, I honestly don’t see a plan for a front court in the future. A year ago we were looking at:

Losing Smith, Brunk and TJD after this year. Throw in Durham and that’s 4 of 5 starters. And losing Race and Phin after next year. Miller has ridden the Crean recruits as hard as he possibly could and sprinkled in 1-2 year players like Romeo, Fitzner, Lander, Brunk and TJD. Where are the four year players?

Now, I’m not suggesting we don’t recruit kids like Romeo or TJD. Of course we should.

Perhaps we catch a break and benefit from the extra year of eligibility or new transfer portal. But that’s not something that was planned for.

I’m sure this will bring out people saying that I am just blind to the brilliant plan that Miller has for the future, but all I see is question marks. We are talented and experienced this year. But we are staring at a complete roster turnover, and we will get young, and fast. Supposedly Miller was going to help us get old and stay old. Four years in and I don’t see it.

You have to wonder about all the time devoted to Mohammed, who is probably one and done, and who may never play college ball at all.

Do believe it will be a much better year than the last few. Can't argue that the next one may be wanting in terms of the roster, but it will be what it is, little point in fretting about it now and more so as this Season tips in less than two weeks. Am similarly lukewarm on Aminu who seems solely focused on a springboard to the NBA - good for him, but I see a difference between OADs like Romeo that wanted to play for IU vs. those who make decisions solely on the basis of perceived personal gain - mercenaries tend to be problematic for a number of reasons.

It sucks that IU missed on the guys they have recently. Shit happens, or doesn't, and in this context most often for reasons beyond our knowing. Recruiting doesn't always break the way the way one wants, but it's not necessarily because the Coach is at fault, just the nature of the beast.

Miller absolutely had a plan for IU's frontcourt that for whatever reason(s) didn't materialize. If you want to use this as part of your narrative that he's inept or the "wrong guy" for the job on the basis of that, rock on. I'm far more inclined to trust that he's working hard on alternatives and that If IU takes care of business this year, recruiting will follow suit.

Not saying its gonna happen..
But you change the course of a team over night with two very good transfer's..
Hell Nevada just played a couple year's with 5 transfer's
Idk..You play with what you got ....
Unless TJD has a monster year ..I could very easily see him in Bloomington another year.

Excellent point.

I think overall CAM has recruited better all around rosters than TC. It seems we played about 4-5 years with really only 1 PG on our roster: first Yogi then Newkirk. My biggest criticisms of CAM: The makeup of the '20 class? Lots of 2G/wings between Trey, Leal, Geronimo on the heels of Franklin last year. Seems we should have had at least 1 frontcourt player to be developing for next year when we could be very thin upfront. Secondly, while he doesn't have to be CTC and offer schollies to every guy who can put on a jersey, I do fee like when/if he misses, we haven't had adequate backup plans to fill those spots. I like the rifle approach, but I think we need one that has a magazine, not single-shot.

I think overall CAM has recruited better all around rosters that TC. It seems we played about 4-5 years with really only 1 PG on our roster: first Yogi then Newkirk. My biggest criticisms of CAM: The makeup of the '20 class? Lots of 2G/wings between Trey, Leal, Geronimo on the heels of Franklin last year. Seems we should have had at least 1 frontcourt player to be developing for next year when we could be very thin upfront. Secondly, while he doesn't have to be CTC and offer schollies to every guy who can put on a jersey, I do fee like when/if he misses, we haven't had adequate backup plans to fill those spots. I like the rifle approach, but I think we need one that has a magazine, not single-shot.

People are vastly underestimating the new transfer rules. Archie is very likable, and I think has a very player friendly vibe among college basketball players. I will be shocked if we don't get a very good (better next year than Furst or TK) established front court player next year. Upperclassmen at schools that finish in the bottom of their league are gonna want to win. I think next year how IU does will be a big attraction for kids like that.

I assume that IU will be a top 15 team, and advance in the tourney to the elite 8. If that happens and TJD leaves kids are gonna see an opening. The guards on this team next year should project to be fantastic, only Race and a freshmen (old man Brunky isn't scaring anyone away) are gonna be challenging these guys for spots. Golden opportunity for a kid to come in and be a stud, help his draft status. We do send kids to the league!!

Im telling you, watch for a front court stud to transfer in next year.

People are vastly underestimating the new transfer rules. Archie is very likable, and I think has a very player friendly vibe among college basketball players. I will be shocked if we don't get a very good (better next year than Furst or TK) established front court player next year. Upperclassmen at schools that finish in the bottom of their league are gonna want to win. I think next year how IU does will be a big attraction for kids like that.

I assume that IU will be a top 15 team, and advance in the tourney to the elite 8. If that happens and TJD leaves kids are gonna see an opening. The guards on this team next year should project to be fantastic, only Race and a freshmen (old man Brunky isn't scaring anyone away) are gonna be challenging these guys for spots. Golden opportunity for a kid to come in and be a stud, help his draft status. We do send kids to the league!!

This is a good point and when there is a miss on a target at an Indiana level program there remains a very desirable opportunity to be filled,

I hope you are correct in you assumptions about performance,

That's all well and good, but CAM wouldn't have known about these revised xfer rules this year, last year when he was recruiting the '20 class. For depth, we really should have had a frontcourt guy developing on the bench, especially if it's not a top 50 guy. And, the problem with your theory is that we STILL have to actually get a stud transfer next year. Not a given.

Why do the guards on this year's team project to be fantastic next year? Our guards collectively are pretty average for top tier teams as ratings go, like we aspire to be. Only Lander was a 5 star and the rest were around 100 or higher. That's average or below average for top 15-20 teams. They could be fantastic, VO certainly elevated himself after being in that range, but I'm not certain we have anyone of that caliber in the group of RP, AF, AL, or TG. JG may have that kind of ceiling, but I can't say that, never having seen him play and right now, I'd think he projects more as a 3 than a 2.

"Very mediocre"? Seems a little early to say, maybe let them step on the Court first.

Well......certainly by rankings....one guy at about #80 and two at 110-130, depending on what site you like......Butler/Creighton/Iowa/Wisconsin like in terms of rankings.

I like all of them as 'good attitude' guys, which was something lacking with Green, Smith et al. And three nice players to fit around guys with size and elite ability in the '21 class......unfortunately, that didn't happen.

I sure as heck hope you're right. It's just about make or break time for Archie.

I sure as heck hope you're right. It's just about make or break time for Archie.

From what I could tell that option doesn't become effective until August 1, 2021. Cutting it sort of thin for next year and IU/Coach Miller would probably have to make some waves this year for that to option to have much of a prospect for immediate benefit.

Here’s my question. If this team goes out and finishes like 10th or 11th in the Big Ten.

How much is Archie in trouble?

Excellent point.

It seems to me that L.D. fits the bill of a multi year player. IU is already loaded at the position that Aminu plays. We just brought in three players who are 6'4 to 6'6. There is only so much PT to go around.

I think LD was the main get for this year. The one area IU could be "short" next year is at the post.

Looking forward to watching the three guard/wings IU brought in this year, play over the next several years.

Last edited:
Reactions: SixthFlagComing
As far as future rosters, Snow keeps repeating that Hunter's best position is as a 4.

If that's true than I would guess next year would be a team with a main front court of Hunter and Race and then three guards from the Lander/Phinesse/Franklin/Galloway/Leal pool.

Not to mention additional recruits or instant transfers.

Plus Durham and Brunk could play another year.

Plus Geronimo's upside (not sure if he's a 3 or a 4).

Supposedly Galloway has been really good. He's an interesting 3. Fast, lengthy, super intense, solid finisher but suspect shot.

Archie is still in good shape. I don’t see him being fired.

I’m afraid you’re probably right. As long as we don’t finish last or close to last in the conference, Archie is still probably safe.

We just don’t have very high standards anymore and a lot of people have bought into the whole “it’s gonna take a lot of time! Be patient!” garbage to excuse his poor results and anemic “improvement.”

But, again, Archie himself is not our problem. He’s merely the current manifestation of it.

I’m afraid you’re probably right. As long as we don’t finish last or close to last in the conference, Archie is still probably safe.

We just don’t have very high standards anymore and a lot of people have bought into the whole “it’s gonna take a lot of time! Be patient!” garbage to excuse his poor results and anemic “improvement.”

But, again, Archie himself is not our problem. He’s merely the current manifestation of it.

bs. If Archie finishes 10th or worse over half of the fans will call for his head. I’ll lead the charge.
That ain’t gonna happen tho. This team has way too much talent.

I am getting more bullish on this team by the day.

Reactions: stollcpa
That's all well and good, but CAM wouldn't have known about these revised xfer rules this year, last year when he was recruiting the '20 class. For depth, we really should have had a frontcourt guy developing on the bench, especially if it's not a top 50 guy. And, the problem with your theory is that we STILL have to actually get a stud transfer next year. Not a given.

Why do the guards on this year's team project to be fantastic next year? Our guards collectively are pretty average for top tier teams as ratings go, like we aspire to be. Only Lander was a 5 star and the rest were around 100 or higher. That's average or below average for top 15-20 teams. They could be fantastic, VO certainly elevated himself after being in that range, but I'm not certain we have anyone of that caliber in the group of RP, AF, AL, or TG. JG may have that kind of ceiling, but I can't say that, never having seen him play and right now, I'd think he projects more as a 3 than a 2.

I don’t put much stock in HS ratings. I am not positive on Lander because I’ve never seen him play college ball, but I’m confident he is gonna be a killer. Franklin as a jr will be one of the best defenders in the league, we might have a 5th year Al, and I would bank on at least one of Leal, Galloway, Rob, Geronimo being pretty damn good as well.

I like all of those players a lot besides rob. And I am not out on rob yet. If he can put it together we could have the best defensive backcourt in the big ten. Defense is Archie’s thing and that group is gonna dominate in a year.

I just don't see much evidence of this ...if any.

In fact part of the the reason we saw so much "have patience" chatter up to now is that fans got on him so quickly.
He got the "tourney monkey" off of his back last season but he needs to make a big stride this season particularly after losing a recruit he needed to fricking purdue. Not a good look for an IU coach.

Fourth or better in the BIG, two plus wins in the BTT and at least making it to the second weekend of the dance would be the expectation this season.

bs. If Archie finishes 10th or worse over half of the fans will call for his head. I’ll lead the charge.
That ain’t gonna happen tho. This team has way too much talent.

I am getting more bullish on this team by the day.
No, they won’t.At any rate, he’s safe as can be through at least five years, unless he cheats.

You have to wonder about all the time devoted to Mohammed, who is probably one and done, and who may never play college ball at all.
One recent story had his guardian saying Mohammed might be interested in reclassing to start college in January 2021. IU has 2 scholarships available. Georgia and Georgetown, zip scholarships. Perhaps IU still appears to be in a strong position with this recruitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT