ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Brand destroyed the IU program

He had been doing inappropriate things for years. The bottom line is he stopped winning at a high level so he was easier to cut loose. I honestly do not see how you think his behavior was acceptable? Throwing people in garbage cans, chokings kids, throwing chairs, throwing plants,etc? You think just PC zeolots thought that was not appropriate? I guess you are a RMK homer but I was at one point until I realized he was out of control
You make it sound so dramatic. Choking kids for gods sake. Do you think that bitch Neil reed was struggling to breath. He grabbed him around the throat. My eighth grade basketball coach did worse than that. Don’t be such a pussy. He threw a chair. Oh. My. God. Give back all the money he raised for the university and strike his name from the university rolls. Stuffed some drunken arrogant LSU fan in a trash can so effin what. Men see behavior like this differently from women and feminized men and it will always be that way even in the face of best PC efforts for decades and decades.

We just see the world differently simple as that. He didn’t break the code of acceptable behavior in my opinion.

Brand sucked.
Arrogant little bureaucrat dweeb resume built while taking down the legend of Bob Knight to get all the way to NCAA headquarters. He's gone. Karma.

And then the only thing he did of note was to go all PC on the mascots.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticArisen
You make it sound so dramatic. Choking kids for gods sake. Do you think that bitch Neil reed was struggling to breath. He grabbed him around the throat. My eighth grade basketball coach did worse than that. Don’t be such a pussy. He threw a chair. Oh. My. God. Give back all the money he raised for the university and strike his name from the university rolls. Stuffed some drunken arrogant LSU fan in a trash can so effin what. Men see behavior like this differently from women and feminized men and it will always be that way even in the face of best PC efforts for decades and decades.

We just see the world differently simple as that. He didn’t break the code of acceptable behavior in my opinion.
RMK was a tough SOB. I like that in a coach.
He was a fighter not a wuss. He was a winner.

I like it that RMK was his own man and did not give in to the PC BS. Sure he made mistakes, but the same PC people who hammered RMK, accept the cheaters today in college basketball. The PC camp is wrong in both cases. When I grew up coaches coached you, they verbally belittled you like a drill seargent, they threw balls at you hard if you didn't listen, they grabbed you by the arm and got your attention, they made you tougher, much tougher. You either wimped away and quit, or you fought back with every ounce in your body to prove your old coach wrong. Yes my coach was ex-military so I had very tough coaches who demanded you give maximum effort or you could run home to mommy.
I took it and didn’t run home to mommy or even say anything to mommy about it. I am sure you did the same and as did all the guys I played with.

And then the only thing of note was to go all PC on the mascots.
Brand sucked, plain and simple
Political Correctness is so stupid, it shoots ourselves on the foot over someone who got their feelings hurt.
Or as a former coach of mine said, "Nobody here gives a $hit about your feelings. Do as you are told or get out."

Yeah RMK "worked" them for sure Coug! Poor Ralph Floyd use to come....

over here to Ellettsville occasionally for lunch. I thought the food on the near west side was better than I realized he was just trying to escape Knight for an hour or two.

Ralph Floyd.................yikes. Another Hall of Fame IU administrator.

Correct.
Man up.
I worked with this guy in West Texas that was a multi generational Browns fan. His dad was one of those guys that went to Browns away games looking for trouble before the move to Baltimore. This guy was an engineer and kinda quiet and me and a few guys went to a Browns away game with him in Dallas. He is in the bathroom in Browns gear and a Dallas fan starts mouthing off to him about the Browns sucking. He doesn’t say a word but he grabs this guy and drags him to a toilet and forces his head down in the water and then just quietly walks away. The guy got what was coming to him.

Knight grew up about 50 miles from Cleveland and sure he knew a lot of Browns fans. :)

Reactions: glidresquirrel
One of the best lines from any b-ball coach was from Abe Lemons responding to Digger Phelps about the tremendous pressure that was on Notre Dame 18 and 19 year old players. He said-

“I bet that an 18 year old Marine with his face down in the sand, under fire at Iwo Jima was thinking to himself, 'Gee, I'm glad I'm not a freshman at Notre Dame.”

That pretty much sums it up. Neil Reed was a huge pussy.

One of the best lines from any b-ball coach was from Abe Lemons responding to Digger Phelps about the tremendous pressure that was on Notre Dame 18 and 19 year old players. He said-

“I bet that an 18 year old Marine with his face down in the sand, under fire at Iwo Jima was thinking to himself, 'Gee, I'm glad I'm not a freshman at Notre Dame.”

Anybody who thought RMK was too tough never fought on the battlefield in a war.

Dude the problem is the stuff he did in the 1970's was not going to fly in the 2000's. You are calling my a pussy but the players are the ones who were not taking it anymore. Why dont you go after them???? I do not care if he grabbed Neil to be honest with you but a majority of people did. I am all for a tough coach but I cannot change public perception. Good luck trying to convince the general public that the stuff you said above is still ok. Maybe you should give it a shot though as I would be interested in seeing what percentage of people agree with you.

I do not think I ever said he was too tough. But is the stuff he did would still fly at a college anymore he would neve have been fired. Kids have become whimps but do people honestly think knight in 2019 would be able to do the stuff he did in 1982?

Your either a complete moron or your simply full of shit.
Knight gave a speech on campus to the students, fans and community immediately after the firing. He strongly urged everyone to keep supporting the program and not to resort to anything short of class.
You sir, are a lying con artist. Or possibly just stupid and believe anything your told.

you are totally entitled to your beyond ignorant opinion, but i never said what's in bold type in the top of the quote box attributed to me, as you have somehow pasted someone else's comment at the top of what i said.

quote me all you want, but don't attribute what someone else said as being said by me.

th

Reactions: T.M.P.
I do not think I ever said he was too tough. But is the stuff he did would still fly at a college anymore he would neve have been fired. Kids have become whimps but do people honestly think knight in 2019 would be able to do the stuff he did in 1982?
I saw Calipari have a very serious high audio take down of Herro on the sidelines during the tourney and I forget who Izzo had high octane comments for. Some kids will take it and some won’t. You need to recruit the kids that will and forget the kids that won’t. Nearly all of those contentious RMK players went to smaller schools and flopped. Most of them now say they should have listened when they played for Knight. They should have and their lives would have been on a different path.

Not all kids are the same. RMK had it figured out the feminization was taking place in US schools and his last recruits Moye and Jeffries were tough kids as were Coverdale and Fife before that. I think he started taking this into account in his last classes. No more Neil Reeds and Mike Midays and Sherron Wilkersons etc.

So that gets us to 2002 anyway.

I agree but it was more Brand. It took a late governor to appoint enough trustees to also do that. I was told that governor vowed to get even with RMK for kicking his cronies to the curb when RMK took over. Politics.
What "cronies?" Granted, Slick Leonard was considered for the job, but he turned down IU to stay with the Pacers. Branch McCracken was already dead when Knight took over. Lou Watson had just been fired and that was the reason why the job was open. Also, doesn't EVERY Indiana governor appoint trustees at some point during his administration?

I saw Calipari have a very serious high audio take down of Herro on the sidelines during the tourney and I forget who Izzo had high octane comments for. Some kids will take it and some won’t. You need to recruit the kids that will and forget the kids that won’t. Nearly all of those contentious RMK players went to smaller schools and flopped. Most of them now say they should have listened when they played for Knight. They should have and their lives would have been on a different path.

Not all kids are the same. RMK had it figured out the feminization was taking place in US schools and his last recruits Moye and Jeffries were tough kids as were Coverdale and Fife before that. I think he started taking this into account in his last classes. No more Neil Reeds and Mike Midays and Sherron Wilkersons etc.

And 20 win seasons through 2008 at a school where it is very difficult to recruit.

You know the few PC warriors on the faculty at TT tried to block his hire and they were told thanks for your comments but shut up. Sadly RMK was much better off at TT then IU politically.

Except what they did knight did on a daily basis and today's PC media would flip out if they did it as much as Knight. There would be a crusade to run him out of town by the media.

Except what they did knight did on a daily basis and today's PC media would flip out if they did it as much as Knight. There would be a crusade to run him out of town by the media.
The Media has too much power.
The current news media think that it is their job to spin the news or use false information to fit their agenda to help shape public opinion the way they want it shaped. Instead of just reporting the news as actual facts.

Bullshit. He didn’t choke him. Many of us had worse done in junior high and high school. Neil Reed was a pussy.
A former coach that I had would throw a basketball hard right at your groin if you took a cheap shot at another player or him in practice. They never did it again. He got his point across.

Abe Lemons, I remember a quote asking him about raising the rim as players were getting so tall and he said'' I think they ought to bore a hole in the floor and then everyone would be going after the little guy'' he was a man of great quotes. Back on topic exactly right about pressure at ND or other colleges . True there is some but its still just a game and yes there is pressure to a degree . Part of the genius of RMK he took the outside pressure off the players and put it on himself

A former coach that I had would throw a basketball hard right at your groin if you took a cheap shot at another player or him in practice. They never did it again. He got his point across.
in eighth grade I had a coach that got pissed at me about something at the end of practice. I was in the locker room and already down to my jock. He came in and threw me into the lockers and told me to go run laps now. I ran laps in barefeet and a jock until he told me to stop.

I won’t even start on one high school coach.

Reactions: ufo33
Abe Lemons, I remember a quote asking him about raising the rim as players were getting so tall and he said'' I think they ought to bore a hole in the floor and then everyone would be going after the little guy'' he was a man of great quotes. Back on topic exactly right about pressure at ND or other colleges . True there is some but its still just a game and yes there is pressure to a degree . Part of the genius of RMK he took the outside pressure off the players and put it on himself
Knight absolutely did take the pressure off them and kept it himself.

Another good Abe Lemons quote was telling his center at half time when he had one rebound in the first half that he had one more rebound than a dead man.

Just report the scores.
Everything else they say has an agenda.

Bullshit. He didn’t choke him. Many of us had worse done in junior high and high school. Neil Reed was a pussy.
It wasnt even whether he choked him or not it was becasue it was leaked to the media who hated knight and could spin anyway they wanted. And if I recall it was not even reed who who this on it was Ron Felling who released the tape. It is easy to spin things in the media as I recall peoople who were not IU fans kept telling me my teams coach was a bully and an abuser.

Knight absolutely did take the pressure off them and kept it himself.

Another good Abe Lemons quote was telling his center at half time when he had one rebound in the first half that he had one more rebound than a dead man.
Similar quote from Knight about Giomi I think. If God meant you to rebound with one hand you would have an arm growing out of your ass. College basketball misses the color of the old days

Ya know Knight did that to Reed because Knight saw he was headed to where he ended up (mediocre player). Reed didn’t want the trouble he just wanted to end up where he was headed. It was the same with a few of those players during that time. They didn’t want the trouble they just wanted to end up where they were headed. It was their mistake ultimately not RMK’s.

Reactions: ufo33
It wasnt even whether he choked him or not it was becasue it was leaked to the media who hated knight and could spin anyway they wanted. And if I recall it was not even reed who who this on it was Ron Felling who released the tape. It is easy to spin things in the media as I recall peoople who were not IU fans kept telling me my teams coach was a bully and an abuser.
Yes it was Felling Iscariot who pulled more shit as a high school coach then Knight ever thought of doing as IU coach. Felling won a couple state championships and had a couple mister basketballs. The small town where he coached had a dinner to honor him before he left for IU (Knight paid his salary at IU out of his own pocket BTW). Felling I think was intoxicated but in any event dropped trow onstage showing his ass to the audience and told them to KMA. They had a banquet to honor him and this is what he did. He and Dakich worked together on some of this stuff. The vid that Felling released exonerated Knight since Reed had portrayed it as he was being strangled and Felling and Dakich saved his life by prying RMK’s fingers off his throat so he could breathe. Reed and Felling are in Felling’s case and were in Reed’s case despicable ungrateful human beings.

Yes it was Felling Iscariot who pulled more shit as a high school coach then Knight ever thought of doing as IU coach. Felling won a couple state championships and had a couple mister basketballs. The small town where he coached had a dinner to honor him before he left for IU (Knight paid his salary at IU out of his own pocket BTW). Felling I think was intoxicated but in any event dropped trow onstage showing his ass to the audience and told them to KMA. They had a banquet to honor him and this is what he did. He and Dakich worked together on some of this stuff. The vid that Felling released exonerated Knight since Reed had portrayed it as he was being strangled and Felling and Dakich saved his life by prying RMK’s fingers off his throat so he could breathe. Reed and Felling are in Felling’s case and were in Reed’s case despicable ungrateful human beings.
I don’t know why you are so concerned about the media. I know they lie and scheme to support an ideology so I just ignore them for the most part.

The Harvey thing was such trash. I mean his father is in sports media and hates Knight and his son just happens to encounter Knight with no witnesses and admittedly disrespects him in passing. What a crock of BS that was. RMK should have put the punk down.

I don’t know why you are so concerned about the media. I know they lie and scheme to support an ideology so I just ignore them for the most part.

The Harvey thing was such trash. I mean his father is in sports media and hates Knight and his son just happens to encounter Knight with no witnesses and admittedly disrespects him in passing. What a crock of BS that was. RMK should have put the punk down.
Too bad the punk didn't take a swing at RMK. He would have been dropped by the old man like a bad habit.

So, Woody Hayes throwing a punch at an opposing team’s player because he was upset with the result of the play is OK, right? After all, he didn’t injure the player.
You can't throw a full punch. But yes, you can not injure a player. That is the line you can not cross.

Is the town drunk "Coach Ron", aka Shooter, still hanging around Bloomington, drinking at Nick's? I'd like to hear the story about how he "met" his daughter, uhhh I mean wife, "Cammy", Lawrenceville HS class of '85. I bet that's a good one. I remember one of Knight's former players, possibly Fife (not sure), said there were a lot of stories about "Coach Ron" they couldn't tell their mothers about. The Lawrenceville school board voted against naming the gym for him. That's pretty indicting considering his accomplishments of 4 state titles and Illinois hall of fame credentials.

So, Woody Hayes throwing a punch at an opposing team’s player because he was upset with the result of the play is OK, right? After all, he didn’t injure the player.
Oh yes Woodie Hayes. Sports message boards have Woodie Hayes and other message boards have Hitler.

As far as the punch is concerned the Clemson player was vaguely aware he had been punched. Woodie was 65 at the time and was left handed. I don’t think his right hook had much power (I think it was a right hook).

But in any event how does this relate to RMK? Did RMK stand on the sideline and throw a sucker punch right hook against an opposing player? If so I missed it. Was RMK ever accused of throwing a right hook at one of his players? If so I missed it

As usual the PC media merges everything together and Woody Hayes is the archetype anti PC coach. All coaches they don’t like ultimately become despicable Woody Hayes just as on other message boards politicians they don’t like become Hitler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT