ADVERTISEMENT

My son's HS team is playing at "that school" today

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
They play Warren Central, and then there are a handful of pretty good schools they could end up playing as well. I believe they'll get at least 1 game in Mackey.

Before he left I asked him if he was excited...

He said..."Yeah, looking forward to playing in Mackey...but I know I'm not allowed to enjoy it too much."

#raisinghimright

They play Warren Central, and then there are a handful of pretty good schools they could end up playing as well. I believe they'll get at least 1 game in Mackey.

He said..."Yeah, looking forward to playing in Mackey...but I know I'm not allowed to enjoy it too much."

#raisinghimright
What school he play for?

#raisinghimright
You raised him right Sir.

My son plays for Northridge. They lost to Warren Central by 2 evidently. Had them down late, couldn't handle their pressure at end of the game sounds like. Not a lot of Northern Indiana teams can simulate Warren Central levels of pressure. So great experience for them.
Is your son better than Gizzi? is he being recruited, sounds like he's on a high-level team.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
My son plays for Northridge. They lost to Warren Central by 2 evidently. Had them down late, couldn't handle their pressure at end of the game sounds like. Not a lot of Northern Indiana teams can simulate Warren Central levels of pressure. So great experience for them.
Grady Carpenter from Tipton is there today. Let me know what you think if you play Tipton

Last edited:
My son went to that place with his HS teams for a team camp. They gave each player a PU camp t-shirt.
When my son got back home he took it directly to the basement and put it in the garage sale pile😂
His words were, “I’m not wearing that crap”

Anyway you or he could stop and take a wizz on the side of the building on your way in or out? I’ve only walked by it a few time at Bucket games, but I’ve always had a strange urge to do that.

• Wow
Reactions: Zero Credibility
Is your son better than Gizzi? is he being recruited, sounds like he's on a high-level team.
Not close to as good as Gizzi. Not being actively recruited yet. Hoping he ends up getting some NAIA or D3 interest at some point. His HS team should be pretty good. They won a share of the NLC conference last season, and didn’t have any seniors.

Grady Carpenter from Tipton is there today. Let me know what you think if you play Tipton
Tipton must have been in a different bracket or something. NRidge did end up beating Lawrence Central by 20. Always good to beat Indy area teams. Not sure who won it, had to be either Crown Point, Brownsburg, or Gary West.

Not close to as good as Gizzi. Not being actively recruited yet. Hoping he ends up getting some NAIA or D3 interest at some point. His HS team should be pretty good. They won a share of the NLC conference last season, and didn’t have any seniors.
Damn, and honest assessment by a parent, very rare unless your kid is the waterboy. will serve your son well so many parents have unreasonable expectations for their kids and pass the pressure down.

Damn, and honest assessment by a parent, very rare unless your kid is the waterboy. will serve your son well so many parents have unreasonable expectations for their kids and pass the pressure down.
Ha ha...hes a starter/main rotation kid. Not the best player on the team, but solid ball player. Not sure most parents fully understand how many really, really good ball players there are out there nowadays.

I have my biased dad moments too though, to be fair. Its hard to fully avoid.

Ha ha...hes a starter/main rotation kid. Not the best player on the team, but solid ball player. Not sure most parents fully understand how many really, really good ball players there are out there nowadays.

I have my biased dad moments too though, to be fair. Its hard to fully avoid.
there is a pretty thin line between d1 and some of the other levels, in juco a lot of guys were just a step slow, 6 4 power forwards or so academically challenged they had no chance.

Not sure most parents fully understand how many really, really good ball players there are out there nowadays.
I've got a nephew that finished his freshman season. Last summer was my first time around AAU ball. There's a ton of talented kids and I had no idea how many, until I went and spent a day watching games across a dozen courts.

I've got a nephew that finished his freshman season. Last summer was my first time around AAU ball. There's a ton of talented kids and I had no idea how many, until I went and spent a day watching games across a dozen courts.
Its nuts... And if you weren't watching one of the top level circuit events (EYBL, 3SSB, Rise)... then there's an entire level of play above the thousands of kids you might have been watching. The top level circuit teams look like NBA teams in a lot of cases...starting at the 15U level even.

My son's AAU team does get to play in the 3SSB Nationals this year...but they're a 3SGB (second tier basically) team. So that'll be an interesting experience for him/them.

Just seems like Northern Indiana Basketball has left the building. There used to be so many GREAT teams up there. Warsaw is the only NLC school I remember having real luck. Duneland used to have crazy good teams in the 80s through the 00s. Some of the NIC teams were really good as well.

Nothing comes close in comparison with Indy Metro teams these days.

Its nuts... And if you weren't watching one of the top level circuit events (EYBL, 3SSB, Rise)... then there's an entire level of play above the thousands of kids you might have been watching. The top level circuit teams look like NBA teams in a lot of cases...starting at the 15U level even.

My son's AAU team does get to play in the 3SSB Nationals this year...but they're a 3SGB (second tier basically) team. So that'll be an interesting experience for him/them.
It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be. He was playing on an Indiana Elite 15u team last year. This summer he's on a Legacy Ice team and spent April/May traveling. I haven't been to one this year yet, but it was easy last summer because there were games in Noblesville & Fishers lots of time. I'm going to try to spend a weekend with them in July at a tournament.

It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be. He was playing on an Indiana Elite 15u team last year. This summer he's on a Legacy Ice team and spent April/May traveling. I haven't been to one this year yet, but it was easy last summer because there were games in Noblesville & Fishers lots of time. I'm going to try to spend a weekend with them in July at a tournament.
I've said this before...but you're probably seeing this...there are really, really good, well coached programs and teams. And there are stereotypical, "AAU ball" programs. And you can often see all of them together on any given weekend somewhere around Indy.

Just seems like Northern Indiana Basketball has left the building. There used to be so many GREAT teams up there. Warsaw is the only NLC school I remember having real luck. Duneland used to have crazy good teams in the 80s through the 00s. Some of the NIC teams were really good as well.

Nothing comes close in comparison with Indy Metro teams these days.
Its mainly in 4A currently. Fair bit of state wide parity 1A-3A... Though Cathedral and New Pal dropping down in to 3A is going to challenge that a bit.

The reasons why Indy schools dominate 4A are obvious though...

1. TONS more overall talent in Indy, and then in Hamilton County. And with school of choice, most of the top kids flock to various bigger schools.
2. Quite a lot more facilities and AAU programs based out of Indy.
3. I'm sure there are a lot more former college and pro players settling down in the Indy area...they tend to have kids that are higher level.
4. Metro Indy and Hamilton County teams play each other all winter. Good, state title caliber teams outside of that, MIGHT play a few teams that same caliber in the regular season, but many don't see that level until Regionals, at the eariliest.

The "good" thing for whoever comes out of Northern Indiana this year is I don't think the Hamilton County teams have any teams that are as dominant as Fishers was last year. And there are a few more NIndiana teams that are capable of beating whoever the Hamilton County team ends up being. Crown Point, FW Wayne, Warsaw, Northridge, Valpo, Chesterton...amongst others...all capable of picking off Indy teams this year. Last couple years, not so much.

I'm NOT predicting we'll get a non Hamilton County team out of the north in the state title game...they're all probably better than the best Northern Indiana teams. But if the Semi state ends up looking like Fishers, FW Wayne, Crown Point, and either Warsaw or Northridge... it'll be more difficult for Fishers (or whoever it is, Noblesville, HSE, and Carmel are all going to be good too)...but it'll be more difficult for them to win both Semi State games.

Not sure there are as many legit southern teams this year, but Jeffersonville is one that sure could beat the Indy metro teams.

That's not in Rock Hill SC is it? I just heard that Indiana Elite is playing down here in July and I'm going to try and go see them, as long as I don't have a conflict w a planned vacation. If any of you jabronis are coming down, we can meet up. Rock Hill is home! DanC or Hooky, the welcome mat is out!

Last edited:
That's not in Rock Hill SC is it? I just heard that Indiana Elite is playing down here in July and I'm going to try and go see them, as long as I don't have a conflict w a planned vacation. If any of you jabronis are coming down, we can meet up. Rock Hill is home! DanC or Hooky, the welcome mat is out!
Rock Hill, yes. And yes, the 17U Indiana Elite team will be there. I strongly encourage going to watch them if you can, they're VERY fun to watch.

Rock Hill, yes. And yes, the 17U Indiana Elite team will be there. I strongly encourage going to watch them if you can, they're VERY fun to watch.
Cool, do you know the dates? It's right behind Winthrop U and is about 10 minutes from my house. Let's have a Hoosier night if you can swing it. A couple of the guys in my poker group are Hoosiers and DanC is down here too.

I appreciate it, but the 2 July tournaments he has are in Milwaukee (11-14th) and Chicago (18-21st). I'll have to find some other event as the reason to wreck your couch and drink your beer.

• Haha
Cool, do you know the dates? It's right behind Winthrop U and is about 10 minutes from my house. Let's have a Hoosier night if you can swing it. A couple of the guys in my poker group are Hoosiers and DanC is down here too.
On the fence on whether my wife or I are coming. We have some other kids that have team camps/tournaments that weekend too. But if I do, I'll for sure do that!

July 10-14 are the dates, I believe. Or thereabouts. Definitely that week/weekend. I think they're still finalizing the schedules between the Gold and 3SSB events.

On the fence on whether my wife or I are coming. We have some other kids that have team camps/tournaments that weekend too. But if I do, I'll for sure do that!

July 10-14 are the dates, I believe. Or thereabouts. Definitely that week/weekend. I think they're still finalizing the schedules between the Gold and 3SSB events.
Good, I think that's the weekend before I'm going to the beach. That's a nice facility. I think about 8-10 courts back to back and then they have a championship court that I think seats around 1500. They've hosted a couple college tournaments there. I know USC (SC) played there recently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT