ADVERTISEMENT

My run in with Archie

BigNutsIUFan

Junior
Mar 10, 2005
Never told this story but its the gods honest truth. Went to SC - Floyd Central game last year. I usually have some IU swag on but didnt at the time. Gym was packed except for a few spots behind me. About 10 minutes before the game, Archie and his assistant walks in and they proceed to sit right behind me. I extend my hand out to for him to shake it and he kind of hesitantly shakes it like who is this idiot. Anyways I dont really hear any earth shattering commentary from him except whenever Kaufman got the ball outside, he said "bust that mfer". I also overheard him complaining that Wheeler wasnt doing anything for Purdue that night which they just run us off our own floor that Saturday before. There wasnt really much of a crowd around him except during halftime there was a few kids taking pictures. At the end of the game, I said good luck against Iowa on Thursday. Thats really it, wish I had a better story.

Reactions: SRIV94
It happened.

I believe you...

EQiP4AkWoAAQY67

Well from what I've heard about Archie, I'm guessing your story is spot on. I hear the F'bomb is one of his favorite words and he drops MF'ers on a routine basis.

Never told this story but its the gods honest truth. Went to SC - Floyd Central game last year. I usually have some IU swag on but didnt at the time. Gym was packed except for a few spots behind me. About 10 minutes before the game, Archie and his assistant walks in and they proceed to sit right behind me. I extend my hand out to for him to shake it and he kind of hesitantly shakes it like who is this idiot. Anyways I dont really hear any earth shattering commentary from him except whenever Kaufman got the ball outside, he said "bust that mfer". I also overheard him complaining that Wheeler wasnt doing anything for Purdue that night which they just run us off our own floor that Saturday before. There wasnt really much of a crowd around him except during halftime there was a few kids taking pictures. At the end of the game, I said good luck against Iowa on Thursday. Thats really it, wish I had a better story.

Sounds tense. I'm impressed you kept your cool.

Well from what I've heard about Archie, I'm guessing your story is spot on. I hear the F'bomb is one of his favorite words and he drops MF'ers on a routine basis.

That’s kinda awesome assuming it’s not in front of little kids, etc. He just moved up a notch in my book.

I would’ve asked him if he enjoyed the 38 that Jake Heidbreder put up that night.

Archie is a prick. As easy as it is to love Tom Allen, it’s equally hard to like Miller. TBH, I’d rather have Crean. Better coach surprisingly. And a heck of a lot better guy.

• Wow
Reactions: jimmygoiu
Archie is a prick. As easy as it is to love Tom Allen, it’s equally hard to like Miller. TBH, I’d rather have Crean. Better coach surprisingly. And a heck of a lot better guy.

You’ve met both Crean and Miller?

they (CAM and CTC) sure do present themselves as polar opposites. One strikes me as pseudo southern tent-gathering evangelist (Steve Martin in "Leap of Faith") while the other seems more like the anti-social nerd in the IT department who needs a date with a girl badly. So far, snake oil salesman yields slightly better results.

Reactions: mk23
they (CAM and CTC) sure do present themselves as polar opposites. One strikes me as pseudo southern tent-gathering evangelist (Steve Martin in "Leap of Faith") while the other seems more like the anti-social nerd in the IT department who needs a date with a girl badly. So far, snake oil salesman yields slightly better results.
Not even sure slightly... of course longer tenure. But, rebuilt from the gutter. Delivered one of the best wins in program, and college bball, history, along with one of our better teams of the last 30 years, that got all the way to the #1 ranking... (before disappointing), and a couple conference championships, right? Frustrating and maddening guy and personality, and maybe I'm just pining for something different, but I don't think it was slightly.

Anyways is not a word.

Reactions: Jssanto and mk23
Not even sure slightly... of course longer tenure. But, rebuilt from the gutter. Delivered one of the best wins in program, and college bball, history, along with one of our better teams of the last 30 years, that got all the way to the #1 ranking... (before disappointing), and a couple conference championships, right? Frustrating and maddening guy and personality, and maybe I'm just pining for something different, but I don't think it was slightly.
agreed. Current state of program during yr 1-2 of CTC era was much more dire than what CAM inherited. Year 4 of CTC yielded 27 wins, a S16 and a team that was ranked in the 10-20 range most of the season. We are presently a LONG LONG way from that.

I would’ve asked him if he enjoyed the 38 that Jake Heidbreder put up that night.
He actually did mention something about him towards the end of the game. The dude doesnt look like much of a player but he can ball out and shoot. Not sure if he's a major D1 talent though.

It is actually a reflection of your lack of intelligence and poor moral character. Go to any prison in this country and you will understand.
Don’t crap on me. It’s CAM who has the f***ing potty mouth. I’m sorry, the motherf***ing potty mouth.

Reactions: Remain

I would rather have a coach that understands what IU basketball means and restores the program. Neither of these two are close. You are the guy that Ordfan constantly talks about that has "accepted mediocrity".

I would rather have a coach that understands what IU basketball means and restores the program. Neither of these two are close. You are the guy that Ordfan constantly talks about that has "accepted mediocrity".
Don’t you mean a motherf***ing coach who understands IUBB?

Reactions: EarlTubbs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT