ADVERTISEMENT

Stopping Rutgers Run Game

kpbucks4454

Junior
Sep 8, 2004
Here are my observations on stopping Rutgers or any teams’ run game. Smash mouth football requires smash mouth defense to stop it.
Not for sure the reason, but too many IU defenders were playing “push-push” defense. Just make contact with blocker and let them push you around.
we looked like we were on roller skates. I don’t mean to include all. We had a few guys who really played well. But too many seemed just fine with getting pushed around. I didn’t see the aggression that needed attack an opponent. Arm tackling. Our DBs played like they were afraid to get hurt.
When we would engage a runner, we would stop and Rutgers kept driving for additional yards. When you know what’s coming and prepared for it but still can’t stop it, it’s time to look at personnel and do a “gut check”. It’s time to evaluate Desire, Ability, Courage, and Love to Hit People. I don’t know
how much Live tackling, hitting that we do in practice. But I sure as hell would find out real soon who isn’t willing to go all out! I still can’t believe that we couldn’t stop the run. I’d be in man to man all day and send ‘em all.
Blocked punt was totally inexcusable. Who’s the QB of the punt team? Someone has to recognize where the overload is and adjust!

There was also a lack of adjustment in the front knowing Rutgers was going to run over and over again. With the lack of a dynamic passing game I don't understand not adding a DL man to the front or another LB.

And if you are not going to add a fifth lineman, how about dropping the safety down into the box or replacing him with a linebacker. Half the time we had two deep safeties. Their quarterback could not complete a pass, and yet we barely overplayed the run. Allen just comes off as flat out dumb sometimes.

Reactions: bang63 and midwolfe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT