ADVERTISEMENT

My Remembrance....

Mas-sa-suta

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2003
Arrived in-country with Infantry MOS February 4th, 1969..dry season.

Assigned to 11ACR, got to field around Feb 15th.

On Feb 28th. Our Troop Commander was shot and killed while directing an attack on a bunker complex.
Thomas McAdams, 27, Liberty Texas.

On August 12, three more died after a convoy was ambushed.
Marcello Barrios, 25, Artesia Calif
Chris Webster, 21, Great Falls, Mt
Larry Wheeler, 21, Tangent, Or

On December 2, two more..
Robert Curl. 24, Walled Lake, MI
Robert Raines 24, Greenwood, IN

On December 15th, five more...
Ronald Collins 18, Flora IN
Farrish Combs, 19, Chicago
James P. Nugent 18, Jersey City
Daniel Dawson, 23 Hookstown,
PA
John Roche, 23 Los Angeles
The last five died in a huge battle including another Cav troop, ARVN infantry, tac air, organic gunship support...everything...

John Roche was a young 2Lt, who had been in country 43 days. Nugent was in country 26 days. Collins 51 days.

I knew them all. I still see their faces. Collins was shot through the throat and bled to death.
Roche was a Notre Dame graduate..

My mother called Raines mother after his death..

All sacrificed at the altar of War.

For nothing......nothing...

On Feb 28th. Our Troop Commander was shot and killed while directing an attack on a bunker complex.

PA
The last five died in a huge battle including another Cav troop, ARVN infantry, tac air, organic gunship support...everything...

John Roche was a young 2Lt, who had been in country 43 days. Nugent was in country 26 days. Collins 51 days.

I knew them all. I still see their faces. Collins was shot through the throat and bled to death.

I'm sorry sir.

I'm sorry sir.
Nothing to be sorry for Joe.

Just a part of my destiny...

One thing....although I have been banned from the Ukraine discussion for over two years, I can still read the posts...include your scoreboards..

I'd like you to think for a moment about the death and suffering associated with this needless war.

Stirrings in DC indicate Congress is beginning to reinstitute selective service in the US..

Are you prepared to send conscripted young Americans to violent death on behalf of Netanyahu, Zelensky and Biden?

One thing....although I have been banned from the Ukraine discussion for over two years, I can still read the posts...include your scoreboards..

I'd like you to think for a moment about the death and suffering associated with this needless war.

Stirrings in DC indicate Congress is beginning to reinstitute selective service in the US..

Are you prepared to send conscripted young Americans to violent death on behalf of Netanyahu, Zelensky and Biden?
1- Name a war that wasn't needless. It's always our politicians vrs their politicians and we, the non politicians go die for their failures. Prove me wrong.

2- Not sure what dark corner of the webz you're pulling this US conscript thing from. Seems pretty crazy to me, today. So, I'll over look that for now and answer this way. I do not agree with send any of our troops, to fight in others, pissing matches. But I want us to send all the freaking unhealthcare that we can, to those who are enemies of our enemies so it doesn't get so big that we have to send people. ..... AFTER, we close our boarders.

3-I'd send fighters for those admin type people who are pulling uncle joes strings. I would make a street spectacle with bats wrapped in barbed wire, out of them. We speak of coup's being overt and militaristic. Grand. We are living a deep state coupe where a corpse was placed in office and un-elected people, with extreme intentions are playing wizard of DC, from behind the curtain. Sadly we are not shutting down that coupe umong us. I'm afraid this is the last nail in our great experiment. They known how to control us now. It was a good run.

PA

They were lucky to count you as their friend.

Reactions: Spartans9312

PA

Very tough memories. Sympathies.

And not to be a dick and in keeping with “worth it” the survivor benefit program really isn’t shit. I know there are ostensibly cola adjustments but it’s tantamount to doordash dough. With the amount of money this country pisses away it’s pretty Fing bad. 8 billion bucks and we’ve made 7 new electric chargers. So much about our gov is Fing awful. Fleece us use it for good

PA

Thanks for helping to keep the spirit of the day. So much loss for so little. This holiday is one where I can't say to someone "have a happy Memorial Day."

Reactions: cosmickid
And not to be a dick and in keeping with “worth it” the survivor benefit program really isn’t shit. I know there are ostensibly cola adjustments but it’s tantamount to doordash dough. With the amount of money this country pisses away it’s pretty Fing bad. 8 billion bucks and we’ve made 7 new electric chargers. So much about our gov is Fing awful. Fleece us use it for good
It's f* play money(borrowed) anyway...."Here BootyBoy, have 8 Billion to play with....we'll circle back in six years.....Prost!!

• Angry
Reactions: mcmurtry66
It's f* play money(borrowed) anyway...."Here BootyBoy, have 8 Billion to play with....we'll circle back in six years.....Prost!!
Yup. It’s all fckd up. I think back to the pi world and wrongful death cases and clients permanently disabled and hiring experts for life care plans and the numbers involved and it’s sooooo much more than survivor benefits.

I told you I talk about our edibles biz my closest friend started. His pop was a helicopter pilot who died in Vietnam. Now mind you my buddy was a dipshit like we all were but the pittance he got was gone by 19. Lost his dad for his whole life….

Our priorities are f’d

Yup. It’s all fckd up. I think back to the pi world and wrongful death cases and clients permanently disabled and hiring experts for life care plans and the numbers involved and it’s sooooo much more than survivor benefits.

I told you I talk about our edibles biz my closest friend started. His pop was a helicopter pilot who died in Vietnam. Now mind you my buddy was a dipshit like we all were but the pittance he got was gone by 19. Lost his dad for his whole life….

Our priorities are f’d
My sum total GI Bill award was $7k.

What matters is present value. $7K in 1970 something is worth many times more today in present value.
That's a good point and sure, it was something, but...... spread out the obvious mental "baggage"/ benefit for 54 yrs.... Rent payment in section 8 properties, maybe?

We should be better than that. Especially for that group (meaning Military).

So can cops. I’m talking about death/disability benefits. You guys deserve more
We have good disability benefits. Death benefits are generous too. Issue with both is we have disabilities (I have some myself though not significantly serious yet) or dead.

PA

This year hit me harder than it ever had before. I was sitting with my kids and having a great time and then the thought flashed into my mind and I went into a tailspin. I thought “these young guys that didn’t make it back would never know the joy of having a family and great kids”. Sunday night sucked.

PA

A very belated thank you; not only for you service, but for sharing what you went through and the lives of your friends who were lost. Amidst all of the rancor and often mean-spiritedness displayed here (including by myself), we sometimes forget what is truly important - including the humanity of our fellow Coolerites. No one should have to go through what you did, especially for nothing.

You will forever have my gratitude. I will still call you out when required, but know that it comes from a place of respect.

This year hit me harder than it ever had before. I was sitting with my kids and having a great time and then the thought flashed into my mind and I went into a tailspin. I thought “these young guys that didn’t make it back would never know the joy of having a family and great kids”. Sunday night sucked.
I didn't post 'My Remembrance' to elicit sympathy, but rather in the hope that some realization of the utter futility and loss, for eternity, these endless wars bring could be experienced.

Eisenhower warned us of what our future could bring if this country failed to heel the military-industrial dog.

And so, here we are.

Knowing the burden so many bear, I'm sorry to tell you that as you grow older, it gets worse.

This country needs to experience a soul-searching, and soon.

PA

Mass, your memories reminded me of how unfair the Nam war was to so many and how lucky I was to take advantage of a path which allowed me to avoid serving in Nam.

When I am reminded of how fortunate I was, I feel extremely grateful for those who served in my place.

Thank you Massasuta along with special gratitude to your friends and families.

I didn't post 'My Remembrance' to elicit sympathy, but rather in the hope that some realization of the utter futility and loss, for eternity, these endless wars bring could be experienced.

Eisenhower warned us of what our future could bring if this country failed to heel the military-industrial dog.

And so, here we are.

Knowing the burden so many bear, I'm sorry to tell you that as you grow older, it gets worse.

This country needs to experience a soul-searching, and soon.
I am glad you posted it. For one thing, I truly had no idea about your backstory. Hell, I didn't even realize you were that old. ;)

Further, we all need to be reminded of the price of war. Not in numbers, but in the lives of real people - often young men. In this instance, men who should be playing with their grandkids and enjoying retirement now. It's too easy for the rest of us to sit behind a computer screen and spout off about the glory of war, shipping off arms to faraway places, etc., when we have no clue what war is actually like.

We all need soul-searching, including as a country. I just hope we find a way to do that without circumstances forcing it upon us. I mean, what the hell are we doing over the next 5 months deciding which of two old, degenerate geezers should be President for the next 4 years? FFS, this is insanity.

Mass, your memories reminded me of how unfair the Nam war was to so many and how lucky I was to take advantage of a path which allowed me to avoid serving in Nam.

When I am reminded of how fortunate I was, I feel extremely grateful for those who served in my place.

Thank you Massasuta along with special gratitude to your friends and families.
Well Hoot, life isn’t fair nor is life a zero sum game. No one 'served in your place'. Each of us has his own destiny..
Thank you for your kind thoughts.

I am glad you posted it. For one thing, I truly had no idea about your backstory. Hell, I didn't even realize you were that old. ;)

Further, we all need to be reminded of the price of war. Not in numbers, but in the lives of real people - often young men. In this instance, men who should be playing with their grandkids and enjoying retirement now. It's too easy for the rest of us to sit behind a computer screen and spout off about the glory of war, shipping off arms to faraway places, etc., when we have no clue what war is actually like.

We all need soul-searching, including as a country. I just hope we find a way to do that without circumstances forcing it upon us. I mean, what the hell are we doing over the next 5 months deciding which of two old, degenerate geezers should be President for the next 4 years? FFS, this is insanity.
Yep, I'm that old..and circumstance will be forced upon us. This Christian Republic has been subverted by foreign entanglements and non-compatible cultures to the point wherein it is often unrecognizable. This is not coincidence. The worship of government as God has brought us to this point.
God help us.

Reactions: DANC
Well Hoot, life isn’t fair nor is life a zero sum game. No one 'served in your place'. Each of us has his own destiny..
Thank you for your kind thoughts.
Ron Collins was from my home town. He was about 3 years ahead of me in HS.

People today can't comprehend the casualty rate then, which was hundreds per week.

I'm glad you and guys like Ranger made it home, by the grace of God.

nwRIeSt.jpg
Is this good?

If you have to pay PMI, you can't afford the house.
I agree, but I was asking if that was the same "PMI" that he was speaking of. He is extremely knowledgeable about economics, where I am NOT. I was simply trying to make sure we were talking about the same thing. Hell, there could be 300 different things called PMI that I have no clue even existed.
To close, I am probably not going to have anything to say in this thread (I know you will be hurt), but just like many threads, I will use it to learn. I just wanted to make sure that I was learning about what I thought the topic actually is.

PMI as in mortgage payment insurance?
#Following...

The Chicago Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) determines the economic health of the manufacturing sector in Chicago region. A reading above 50 indicates expansion of the manufacturing sector; a reading below indicates contraction. The Chicago PMI can be of some help in forecasting the ISM manufacturing PMI.

The Chicago Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) determines the economic health of the manufacturing sector in Chicago region. A reading above 50 indicates expansion of the manufacturing sector; a reading below indicates contraction. The Chicago PMI can be of some help in forecasting the ISM manufacturing PMI.
I was all in, until you threw in ISM... Lets file this under shit I had no idea that some one measured.

@UncleMark ........ See why I was asking... He just pulled this shit outta his back pocket, like he kinda knows about it and stuff. I was thinking my trailer payment has a pimp tax.
Now I set back and learn.... If anyone else actually knows about this and decides to discuss, of course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT