ADVERTISEMENT

My new "names on jerseys' cause de jour: Lowering # of D1 FB Scholly's

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Now that we enjoy watching a game live or on TV and quickly/easily seeing who made the catch or tackle b/c names are on the back! I have a new "dream change" wish that the NCAA would limit mens D1 FB scholarships from current 85 total, to as low as 70, or at least down to 75-80.

First of all, given the expense of all that goes into a scholly player, that would seemingly save all D1 FB programs money and/or allow them to divert $ to possibly other male/female sports for schollys.

But more importantly, given an NFL team is 55 players, why do colleges need 85? By cutting 5-15 which could be eased into over a few years, the parity in college FB would be awesome, just awesome! Why? Because then the Top 5-10 programs would be diluted a bit and not the same old teams every year (AL, OSU, Clemson, GA, Penn St, LSU).

Follow the math, in the B10 alone, if they cut it to 75 players, and you took the "bottom 10" players from OSU, UM, Wiscy, Penn St, - that's 40 players. Which really means 40 future recruits who didn't have a spot for them at the big 4 schools in B10. And given t there are 14 schools, minus those four schools, that means the remaining 10 schools would potentially have four: high 3* to 4* recruits potentially per team! So IU could get four more Penix/S James caliber players ON TOP of our normal best recruiting. Or said another way, those top four new kids would replace our bottom four recruits each year, and now, at every school, your'e talking about stacking some darn good classes pretty quickly.

That math would play out all over college FB, so Alabama, LSU, GA and Clemson would free up their recruits now to go to other schools. It would be a domino effect of talent being spread out among more teams, and yes, would even trickle down to B10 caliber players having to go MAC, and guess what, those teams would be better too.

This year's top 20, take away 10 players each, and there are then 200 players that would find homes at likely the next ranked 21-40 teams, and suddenly, the parity and drama of College FB would be even better. We see it in college basketball, why not do the same for FB?

If they are getting paid to play, they are no longer amateurs but professional college players...hire or fire them at will...that's Indiana law...

Might be one of the dumbest ideas ever. First off the last 1 or 2 or however many players ar snot going to make a significant impact on lower end teams. Second you are taking scholarships away from over a thousand kids

Sorry butba typical OSU class of say 24 kids, you think they have four “dogs” in their top 5 nationally ranked recruiting classes? I don’t. You could probably pick out of a hat but let’s say their bottom four in their class, you don’t think they would be top 10 in our class? Again, I do. And that may be same at PSU, UM, Wiscy.

Per 1,000 kids not getting scholly’s, for FB maybe, but may mean more for ALL other sports, many of who give half and quarter scholly’s now.

And the parity in FB would be even better and may end the stranglehold of normal powerhouses doing “rinse & repeat” year after year.

As I said before bottom 2-3 would be better players for non power 5 teams but not help the IU s of the world as those generally are just 3* . We had a tackle and a defensive back that transferred to IU from Ohio State and neither made impact. There is no reason to take scholarships away and if you really believe teams can really survive with just 70 players you are sadly mistaken.

Reactions: 76-1
As I said before bottom 2-3 would be better players for non power 5 teams but not help the IU s of the world as those generally are just 3* . We had a tackle and a defensive back that transferred to IU from Ohio State and neither made impact. There is no reason to take scholarships away and if you really believe teams can really survive with just 70 players you are sadly mistaken.

If NFL can survive longer season of 16 games (+ playoffs) with 55, why couldn’t college survive with 72 (18 a class) for 12 + 2 max.

College could still have walk ons too. It wouldn’t also be skimming the bottom, it would slowly be lessening # Scholly’s you can give out each year.

So if OSU could only give out 18 scholly’s, they would have to be more selective in who they offer too. Maybe the Josh Fryar’s don’t make their 18-man class, but IU would prioritize him in their top 18 for sure. And that is how the disparity gap would start to close.

Reactions: Walt542
Sorry butba typical OSU class of say 24 kids, you think they have four “dogs” in their top 5 nationally ranked recruiting classes? I don’t. You could probably pick out of a hat but let’s say their bottom four in their class, you don’t think they would be top 10 in our class? Again, I do. And that may be same at PSU, UM, Wiscy.

Per 1,000 kids not getting scholly’s, for FB maybe, but may mean more for ALL other sports, many of who give half and quarter scholly’s now.

And the parity in FB would be even better and may end the stranglehold of normal powerhouses doing “rinse & repeat” year after year.
It does not work that way at all. This would put many low-income kids out on the street. Taking away schollies from FB does not give schollies to other sports...sorry.

It does not work that way at all. This would put many low-income kids out on the street. Taking away schollies from FB does not give schollies to other sports...sorry.

I respectfully disagree. And as much as I enjoy watching FB. I think with CTE and other changes coming in college anyway (cost challenges) that FB May need to do this for survival in some schools as well. And as it is a way out for many kids, NCAA or schools themselves could mandate (they mandate enough other things) that some funds be diverted to other sports or low income students for opportunities to get education.

I respectfully disagree. And as much as I enjoy watching FB. I think with CTE and other changes coming in college anyway (cost challenges) that FB May need to do this for survival in some schools as well. And as it is a way out for many kids, NCAA or schools themselves could mandate (they mandate enough other things) that some funds be diverted to other sports or low income students for opportunities to get education.
I also respectfully content that is just too many ifs with young peoples lives. How many fall through the huge crack before a new balance is found? Is one lost life worth it?

NFL has a “practice squad”, that allows them additional players. Not really apples/apples, but it is a consideration. They can add/subtract players as needed.
I am a strong proponent of “Something” to help parity. Just what that looks like, I’m not sure. A reduction in scholarships seems the most logical. The Large schools would need to be more selective, with the spill-over helping All “other” schools IMO.
Even if there was a reduction in schollys, there is a huge gap in revenue between Large stadium teams vs not-so-large stadiums. The big boys have huge budgets for coaches and recruiting, etc.
I appreciate that there might be a decline in the number of schollys for D1 fb (if decrease by 5 per school, 650 less schollys), but I don’t see “over 1000”.
There would be a period of adjustment, but the smaller schools/divisions would have a spill-over to help minimize the effect to the “low income kids”.

If they are getting paid to play, they are no longer amateurs but professional college players...hire or fire them at will...that's Indiana law...

They're not "getting paid" to play football. They're just making money on the side. Nothing to do with the university paying. This is like a kid getting to work a part time job while in the ncaa.....like other students.

They're not "getting paid" to play football. They're just making money on the side. Nothing to do with the university paying. This is like a kid getting to work a part time job while in the ncaa.....like other students.
No...it isn't...

have to believe a move like this is a "disparate impact" lawsuit waiting to happen, since it could be alleged to potentially have a disproportionate impact on minority student-athletes

it's not a contention I personally agree with, but I suspect a great number of judges would, and at a minimum would grant a restraining order while the case crawled through the judicial system, perhaps for years

and we shouldn't kid ourselves--a LOT of athletic directors would probably eliminate nearly ALL other men's sports except football and basketball before touching those two, if they thought they could get away with it

because....$$$$$$$$

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT