ADVERTISEMENT

My 1 bold player prediction.

Devonte Green.

He will make the All Big Ten Defensive Team.

He will lead IU in assists.

He will shoot 40% or better from 3.
Yet still have too many turnovers.

I was so wanting to be optimistic on him throughout the season, but he always seemed to disappoint. It’ll take good play for the entire season before I start believing in his abilities again.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Robert Phinesee will lead B1G Freshmen in assists.

Last edited:
Archie Miller will be B1G Coach of the Year.

Last edited:
I agree that Morgan is better. Smith will be a better senior though

Goofy II. What gives with folks overlooking Morgan? Not sure what else the guy needs to do, but he's proven himself over the last 3 years and improved every year. No reason to think that won't continue and while his scoring #s may flatten or even dip with Romeo and an influx of talent, I expect him to be more efficient and our win totals to improve. Highly unlikely that Smith will be better as a senior, but I hope you're right, as I expect Morgan to have a damn good senior campaign.

Goofy II. What gives with folks overlooking Morgan? Not sure what else the guy needs to do, but he's proven himself over the last 3 years and improved every year. No reason to think that won't continue and while his scoring #s may flatten or even dip with Romeo and an influx of talent, I expect him to be more efficient and our win totals to improve. Highly unlikely that Smith will be better as a senior, but I hope you're right, as I expect Morgan to have a damn good senior campaign.
I’m not overlooking Morgan...I just think Smith will be a better senior because of his athleticism. Morgan is probably the most important player on the team next year.

Morgan wasn’t that great as a freshman. He averaged 2.4 points and 2.1 rebounds. As a sophomore he averaged around 7 and 5.

Smith averaged 7 points and 3 rebounds on 55% shooting. Also had some monster dunks by the end of the year. I don’t think it’s crazy to say Smith will probably be better than Morgan as a senior. I think he averages 10 and 5 this year, to give us a clear number 3 option.

Last edited:
Reactions: mazz
That's goofy... you remember that Morgan is back, right?

I know Morgan is back, that’s why it’s a bold prediction.

IU won’t need Morgan to score nearly as much next year. And I think Smith developes a 3PT shot

Reactions: mazz
I’m not overlooking Morgan...I just think Smith will be a better senior because of his athleticism. Morgan is probably the most important player on the team next year...
I am looking forward to seeing Smith this year. I can't say he will be better than Morgan, but he has the potential to be very good. Smith moves well, has good hands, and is good at being in the right place for rebounding and getting rebound baskets. These are all things we could have said about Morgan.

Archie made it a priority that Morgan would become more of an offensive player last year. I would expect that again this year, but he will have help. Smith can be one of those, but I see us getting better production and efficiency from our guards. We became better with Romeo and Phinisee than if Rojo and Newkirk had somehow been able to return.

Reactions: kkott
I know Morgan is back, that’s why it’s a bold prediction.

IU won’t need Morgan to score nearly as much next year. And I think Smith developes a 3PT shot

I guess my feeling is that if Smith were to jump Morgan, there's a problem. Either Morgan is hurt or he'll have made a poor decision in coming back. If anyone will have the opportunity to highlight their 3 pt shooting it's Morgan. 1) He's a senior, 2) he came back, 3) a reliable 3 pt shot is the biggest barrier keeping him from being drafted, and that's good for him and the program, so he's going to get that opportunity if he shows in practice he can knock it down. Now I do agree, the Morgan-Langford combo will garner even more open looks for others, but I don't think that will be enough for Smith to jump our proven senior in production, and as stated, if he did, that to me is probably indicative of a problem and I think we're overdue for a good/great year! The ideal is Smith continues to improve and increases his solid freshman #s, Morgan has a great year, as does our program. That paves the way for breakout year(s) for Smith as a Jr/Sr when we'll need his scoring with Morgan and Langford (likely) departed.

I think Smith has a better year than Morgan. Not a knock on Morgan as I feel he will have a good season but Smith is a better ball player that really started to understand the college game the last part of last season. He’ll be a very, very good player for us this season and the rest of his career barring injury.

With so many players new players, I look forward to seeing how we do.
Of the Vets, I'm curious if Al will get much run with the addition of Romeo.
I like his game (Al) and with more strength and a shot, I think He's got a lot to offer.

Reactions: kkott and mazz
With so many players new players, I look forward to seeing how we do.
Of the Vets, I'm curious if Al will get much run with the addition of Romeo.
I like his game (Al) and with more strength and a shot, I think He's got a lot to offer.

It's got to be tough when you were recruited by one coach, but end up playing for another. I agree though, I think Durham will be a very solid 4 year guy, who my guess is will make his name on the defensive end. Having CAM come, was probably a very good thing for AD personally. I suspect he'd have been a casualty of Crean because while I think he can become a solid all around player, offensively he may never be a great shooter. Hopefully hit the open shot and take smart shots and be opportunistic and take what the D gives him. And, who knows, with a summer of work his shot may improve dramatically. Langford obviously has the 2 locked up this year, but if I was AD, I'd be eyeing that spot when he's gone and hope to own it as a junior and senior. Between he and Damezi, the answer to who plays the 2 after Romeo might be on our roster already. Gonna be a fun year!

I’m not overlooking Morgan...I just think Smith will be a better senior because of his athleticism. Morgan is probably the most important player on the team next year.

Morgan wasn’t that great as a freshman. He averaged 2.4 points and 2.1 rebounds. As a sophomore he averaged around 7 and 5.

Smith averaged 7 points and 3 rebounds on 55% shooting. Also had some monster dunks by the end of the year. I don’t think it’s crazy to say Smith will probably be better than Morgan as a senior. I think he averages 10 and 5 this year, to give us a clear number 3 option.

If Smith is too much better than Morgan he won't be around for his senior year. :)

Quit using per game stats to compare players.

You might want to re-examine Juwan Morgan’s first season. Do you recall his shoulder continuously popping out during games and how heavily bandaged he was especially towards the end of the season? He had surgery after his freshman year and that is what permitted him to develop into the player he has become.

Reactions: T.M.P.
He has the talent not sure he has the mentality though.
How Green performs this season might be a strong indicator of what kind of coach we have in Miller. If he can get into the kid's head and get that straightened out, that will say a lot. Knight was a master at this. Landon Turner and Daryl Thomas come immediately to mind.

I guess my feeling is that if Smith were to jump Morgan, there's a problem. Either Morgan is hurt or he'll have made a poor decision in coming back. If anyone will have the opportunity to highlight their 3 pt shooting it's Morgan. 1) He's a senior, 2) he came back, 3) a reliable 3 pt shot is the biggest barrier keeping him from being drafted, and that's good for him and the program, so he's going to get that opportunity if he shows in practice he can knock it down. Now I do agree, the Morgan-Langford combo will garner even more open looks for others, but I don't think that will be enough for Smith to jump our proven senior in production, and as stated, if he did, that to me is probably indicative of a problem and I think we're overdue for a good/great year! The ideal is Smith continues to improve and increases his solid freshman #s, Morgan has a great year, as does our program. That paves the way for breakout year(s) for Smith as a Jr/Sr when we'll need his scoring with Morgan and Langford (likely) departed.
Could it be possible that everything clicks for Smith and he blows up into a killer this year? How could that be a bad thing?

Could it be possible that everything clicks for Smith and he blows up into a killer this year? How could that be a bad thing?

It's certainly possible, I just don't think it's very probable. We'll still only have 1 ball and I believe option 1 will be Romeo, 2 will be Morgan... PG's will get theres' so that doesn't leave a ton of opportunities for Smith, and I know alot of folks are excited about Hunter so he might have a battle for minutes let alone points... and those are all good things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT