ADVERTISEMENT

Mullins

False. They were never offered. Oats and Donovan both said they were never contacted.
Other reports disagree. You think no one representing UK checked with Billy Donovan?

"I mean the job was never offered to me. It didn’t get to that point at all,” Nate Oats said.

Call him whatever you want, the chances of Pope achieving anywhere close to the success Calipari had are slim to none.
The chances of anyone not named Hurley. achieving that is slim to none. Again, no UK fan is expecting that. Cal's run was once in a lifetime. He exploited a loop-hole. We're just expecting to be a respectable program again. Make elite 8s and sweet 16s. A final four here and there. Not lose in the 1st round of the SECT and NCAAT. You know, basic UK things.

The chances of anyone not named Hurley. achieving that is slim to none. Again, no UK fan is expecting that. Cal's run was once in a lifetime. He exploited a loop-hole. We're just expecting to be a respectable program again. Make elite 8s and sweet 16s. A final four here and there. Not lose in the 1st round of the SECT and NCAAT. You know, basic UK things.
Is apathy setting in? Good lord.

Don’t fvck with winning…..

If it ends up going this way...is there a reason why Woody seems to struggle closing the deal on these longer term recruiting battles? He's been pretty good at keeping people at IU, overall. And he's obviously been very good at the quick turnaround opportunistic recruiting with late decommits, and then portal kids. Who was the last kid he got that he had been recruiting for a long time, that ended up on IU's campus ultimately?

A guess on why this is happening...purely conjecture based on listening to him talk to media, and some anecdotal stories... 1)he probably isn't good at, and doesn't enjoy, BSing and being positive with recruits and families for long periods of time. 2)He isn't a "process" guy. From how his teams play, you can tell he doesn't focus a ton of time on detail oriented stuff...or if he does, he isn't good at teaching it. Recruiting a kid through their high school journey, can be a grind. Lots of planned out emails, texts, visits, words of affirmation... I don't think working through meticulous processes is up Woody's Alley.
Your conjectures resonate in the clapper’s bell of knowledge. It’s an energy thing you allude to in hypothesis. The fuel of life comes in limited quantities for each individual, so listen closely.

CLOSER, yet, unless it’s fetid breath. The glowing ember deep inside can burn down low enough such that its outwardly directed radiance ceases to shine through one’s fabric. Energy of a system seeks the ground state, the 0-point of that system’s energy. Woodson is an NBA guy. Once an NBA guy, always an NBA guy. Recruits know him as simply “Coach NBA guy,” not as “one who wins with underrated players” and not as “Father figure/Family man guy”, either. From his NBA guy coaching standpoint, everything’s been handed to him, gift wrapped. He comes with a different mindset, a more unique position in life, that of worshipped man wrapped in a shroud of holiness. (I) Don’t know if he understands the needed nuances of recruiting “today’s youth” EVERYDAY here. It may not be his “advancing” age (they’re all advancing if my math is correct) or past coddling thingy, either. Some have it and some don’t. Both don’ts and do’s get along okay in life, but just in different directions of occupation-seeking travel. I once worked in a lab, sitting in front of a sign that read, “No Detail Is Too Small”. It haunts me to this day in an OCD sort of way. Coach Woody might be finding the minutia inherent in recruiting and teaching school kids too tiresome on the toenails, if you know what I mean. He may have been enjoying the good life for too long, something he just can’t shake, that be his “daze of wine and…stogies.”

That said, I like Mike. He’s an NBA guy. He’s my coach. In coach we trust he not bust, so until we hear “phi-i-t”, increasing in pitch with the passage of time, the crude sound a natural, gas explosion might make in the acoustics of a crowded elevator), we should all stick with him, noses held high.

This season coming will be his most telling, north vs south, but still probably somewhere in between, an east by north-east direction of a little more promise I hope, at least.

I apologize for my repetitiveness. It’s just that after 23 years, or so it’s come to be, original thought escapes me, for there are only so many rules to the game, as only the names and numbers change. Despite my shortcomings, I remain of erect stance, blinded in allegiance to my Alma mater, never daunted. I just can’t help myself.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Call him whatever you want, the chances of Pope achieving anywhere close to the success Calipari had are slim to none.
I completely disagree with this. Of course there is a chance you may ultimately be right. But I would not discount Pope from returning UK to competitive greatness in a manner more appealing to the Kentucky faithful. Cal won one national title. His heralded freshmen frequently played bad bball with underachieving results. Pope will have a lot of resources and support to build a consistent program.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I completely disagree with this. Of course there is a chance you may ultimately be right. But I would not discount Pope from returning UK to competitive greatness in a manner more appealing to the Kentucky faithful. Cal won one national title. His heralded freshmen frequently played bad bball with underachieving results. Pope will have a lot of resources and support to build a consistent program.
You serious Clark? In 15 years Calipari:

-won a national title
-was a national runner-up
-two additional F4’s
-3 E8’s

You literally have a Kentucky fan in this thread saying he’ll be content with Pope making Sweet 16’s and the occasional F4. Tells you all that you need to know what kind of expectations they have for Pope.

Calipari was a proven winner and recruiter prior to being hired at Kentucky. He’s the best recruiter in college basketball and having a roster capable of consistently making deep tournament runs is 75% of the battle. Mark Pope will undoubtedly see an uptick in recruiting given his status as the UK coach, but he won’t come close to being the level of recruiter that Calipari was. I’ll give Pope 6 seasons tops before he’s eventually run out of town and probably two seasons too long because he’s an alumnus.

Last edited:
You serious Clark? In 15 years Calipari:

-won a national title
-was a national runner-up
-two additional F4’s
-3 E8’s

You literally have a Kentucky fan in this thread saying he’ll be content with Pope making Sweet 16’s and the occasional F4. Tells you all that you need to know what kind of expectations they have for Pope.

Calipari was a proven winner and recruiter prior to being hired at Kentucky. He’s the best recruiter in college basketball and having a roster capable of consistently making deep tournament runs is 75% of the battle. Mark Pope will undoubtedly see an uptick in recruiting given his status as the UK coach, but he won’t come close to being the level of recruiter that Calipari was. I’ll give Pope 6 seasons tops before he’s eventually run out of town and probably two seasons too long because he’s an alumnus.
Lol, we don’t have those expectations. Because we think Pope will bomb. We have those because Calipari drug this program to the gutter after 2017.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
If it ends up going this way...is there a reason why Woody seems to struggle closing the deal on these longer term recruiting battles? He's been pretty good at keeping people at IU, overall. And he's obviously been very good at the quick turnaround opportunistic recruiting with late decommits, and then portal kids. Who was the last kid he got that he had been recruiting for a long time, that ended up on IU's campus ultimately?

A guess on why this is happening...purely conjecture based on listening to him talk to media, and some anecdotal stories... 1)he probably isn't good at, and doesn't enjoy, BSing and being positive with recruits and families for long periods of time. 2)He isn't a "process" guy. From how his teams play, you can tell he doesn't focus a ton of time on detail oriented stuff...or if he does, he isn't good at teaching it. Recruiting a kid through their high school journey, can be a grind. Lots of planned out emails, texts, visits, words of affirmation... I don't think working through meticulous processes is up Woody's Alley.
Ya you're right, "purely conjecture".

And Calipari didn't?

Your conjectures resonate in the clapper’s bell of knowledge. It’s an energy thing you allude to in hypothesis. The fuel of life comes in limited quantities for each individual, so listen closely.

CLOSER, yet, unless it’s fetid breath. The glowing ember deep inside can burn down low enough such that its outwardly directed radiance ceases to shine through one’s fabric. Energy of a system seeks the ground state, the 0-point of that system’s energy. Woodson is an NBA guy. Once an NBA guy, always an NBA guy. Recruits know him as simply “Coach NBA guy,” not as “one who wins with underrated players” and not as “Father figure/Family man guy”, either. From his NBA guy coaching standpoint, everything’s been handed to him, gift wrapped. He comes with a different mindset, a more unique position in life, that of worshipped man wrapped in a shroud of holiness. (I) Don’t know if he understands the needed nuances of recruiting “today’s youth” EVERYDAY here. It may not be his “advancing” age (they’re all advancing if my math is correct) or past coddling thingy, either. Some have it and some don’t. Both don’ts and do’s get along okay in life, but just in different directions of occupation-seeking travel. I once worked in a lab, sitting in front of a sign that read, “No Detail Is Too Small”. It haunts me to this day in an OCD sort of way. Coach Woody might be finding the minutia inherent in recruiting and teaching school kids too tiresome on the toenails, if you know what I mean. He may have been enjoying the good life for too long, something he just can’t shake, that be his “daze of wine and…stogies.”

That said, I like Mike. He’s an NBA guy. He’s my coach. In coach we trust he not bust, so until we hear “phi-i-t”, increasing in pitch with the passage of time, the crude sound a natural, gas explosion might make in the acoustics of a crowded elevator), we should all stick with him, noses held high.

This season coming will be his most telling, north vs south, but still probably somewhere in between, an east by north-east direction of a little more promise I hope, at least.

I apologize for my repetitiveness. It’s just that after 23 years, or so it’s come to be, original thought escapes me, for there are only so many rules to the game, as only the names and numbers change. Despite my shortcomings, I remain of erect stance, blinded in allegiance to my Alma mater, never daunted. I just can’t help myself.
Hoping to finish this book later today.

• Haha
Reactions: Al Bino
If I am a UK fan I am pretty stoked that I will finally get to know the players. One and done is bad for long term morale. I can't tell you the great feelings I have today when I think of players like Matt Nover or Uve Blab who came in not doing much and they just got better.

If I am a UK fan I am pretty stoked that I will finally get to know the players. One and done is bad for long term morale. I can't tell you the great feelings I have today when I think of players like Matt Nover or Uve Blab who came in not doing much and they just got better.
I guarantee you Kentucky fans care more about winning than getting to know their players for multiple seasons.

He's got assistants for that.

Gotta land Sisley, Mullins and Harrelson in some combination. Miss all 3 and Woodson is basically telling the conference he can't land talent in his own backyard.

I posted here once that if Miller misses on both Furst and Trey Kaufman, he won't last another year. I'd say the same about Woodson. If he misses all 3 in state perimeter guys he won't make it.

Gotta land Sisley, Mullins and Harrelson in some combination. Miss all 3 and Woodson is basically telling the conference he can't land talent in his own backyard.

I posted here once that if Miller misses on both Furst and Trey Kaufman, he won't last another year. I'd say the same about Woodson. If he misses all 3 in state perimeter guys he won't make it.
NIL and the portal will do wonders. Different times from when the little guy was running the show.

Best chance is Haralson and Mullins.

The recent clandestine Mullins visit was centered around promises of an evolution to a guardcentric offense. Personally I think Woody gets his guy Haralson before the Mullins/Sisley visit. Sisley may cancel because of the history with Haralson and Mullins comes and commits shortly there after. A name to watch in the spring would be Ament.

Woodson is here as long as he wants to be! Come on now lol

Best chance is Haralson and Mullins.

The recent clandestine Mullins visit was centered around promises of an evolution to a guardcentric offense. Personally I think Woody gets his guy Haralson before the Mullins/Sisley visit. Sisley may cancel because of the history with Haralson and Mullins comes and commits shortly there after. A name to watch in the spring would be Ament.
hadn't heard about a Mullins visit recently. When was this supposed to have happened? I know he cancelled 3 (PU, KU and Bama?) of his planned 10 or so visits, but is still taking the rest I believe.

hadn't heard about a Mullins visit recently. When was this supposed to have happened? I know he cancelled 3 (PU, KU and Bama?) of his planned 10 or so visits, but is still taking the rest I believe.
He took an unofficial a few weeks back, presumably to get NIL figures in a row.

Reactions: kkott

He’ll always be able to buy a solid team. ALWAYS. Problem is the coaching part. But he should be able to purchase a good enough team to keep his job as long as he wants. Enjoy

Reactions: edub72 and ulrey

historically, i would agree with this. but in this age of the portal, it may not be as meaningful. i still want indiana kids at Indiana.

It was before all that. They wanted it kept as quiet as possible.

Don't think he was necessarily saying we needed those guys, but just the shift that PU was getting IN guys, 1 from S IN, that we offered and wanted. Always can be outliers, but historically we've generally gotten most of the guys we wanted from IN. Not so anymore...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT