Apr 9, 2012
--Bama at Wisconsin

--Washington St. at Washington

--Oregon at Oregon St.

--ND at Purdue

--Indiana at UCLA

--Maryland at Virginia

Some comments:

--Overall, not a big WE for watchable games.

--Bama at Wisconsin could get ugly for Wisconsin. I think the transition from Barry Ball to LF has been more difficult than expected.

-- I feel like ND at Purdue is a real wild card. Just about anything could happen. If Purdue does beat ND, it could be the beginning of the end for MF.

--IU playing in the Rose Bowl. So interesting. For most BT fans probably the 3rd most interesting game this WE.

--Maryland loss at MSU was really a bad one. Their coach needs to win this one. Interest in the program has not recovered since they left the ACC.

--Washington at WSU--Rivalry games are always interesting. Washington stadium is a cool place.

--Oregon v. OSU--Oregon ripe for an upset?

If I was betting, I’d bet on winners being Alabama by a lot, Washington, Oregon State, Purdue, iu and Maryland.

Oregon probably wins, but the advantage seems to go to the home team in this series and Oregon has looked bad.

If I was betting, I’d bet on winners being Alabama by a lot, Washington, Oregon State, Purdue, iu and Maryland.

Oregon probably wins, but the advantage seems to go to the home team in this series and Oregon has looked bad.
If Oregon doesn’t improve on both lines of scrimmage, Ohio St is going to absolutely dog walk them in a few weeks.

I think Purdue is going to get steamrolled. I like the QB a lot, but NIU ran the ball nonstop and they are very good at what they do. Purdue doesn't run the ball well. If Card can be a real running threat against ND and if Leonard continues to just be blah, then maybe Purdue has a chance. I think people underestimate how good NIU is in that offense. No excuse for ND to lose to them though, but I bet half the Big 10 would lose to NIU.

I think Purdue is going to get steamrolled. I like the QB a lot, but NIU ran the ball nonstop and they are very good at what they do. Purdue doesn't run the ball well. If Card can be a real running threat against ND and if Leonard continues to just be blah, then maybe Purdue has a chance. I think people underestimate how good NIU is in that offense. No excuse for ND to lose to them though, but I bet half the Big 10 would lose to NIU.
You do realize in big ten play, Purdue was one of, if not the best, running teams in the big ten, right? This isn’t Jeff Brohm. Running the ball should be a strength. Same starting RB and a bigger, better OL.

Also, ND has to score to steamroll Purdue. Idk why Purdue can’t control the line of scrimmage.

Do you anticipate Leonard learning to throw in 6 days? With a shoulder injury in his non throwing shoulder, probably keeping him from running as much. I have a couple years of data says he can’t throw it.
You do realize ND has other QB's in their stable. Solving the problem doesn't mean sticking with Leonard and hoping he throws better. He's a good runner and that's it.

Notre Dame scored 14 points. That's why they lost.

You do realize ND has other QB's in their stable. Solving the problem doesn't mean sticking with Leonard and hoping he throws better. He's a good runner and that's it.
Yes. But they aren’t likely as good as Leonard. Their backup isn’t much of a runner. But he can throw better.

Reactions: vesuvius13
You do realize in big ten play, Purdue was one of, if not the best, running teams in the big ten, right? This isn’t Jeff Brohm. Running the ball should be a strength. Same starting RB and a bigger, better OL.

Also, ND has to score to steamroll Purdue. Idk why Purdue can’t control the line of scrimmage.

I know they ran for a lot of yards, but they weren't close to first. So for the 2023 season the rushing totals per game are as follows:

1. Fresno State (loss for Purdue): 30 attempts and 109 yards for 3.6 yards per carry. Fresno State had the 97th ranked defense against the rush.

2. Virginia Tech (win for Purdue): 46 attempts and 179 yards for 3.9 yards per carry. VT had the 59th ranked defense against the rush

3. Syracuse (loss for Purdue); 32 attempts and 80 yards for 2.5 yards per carry. Syracuse had the 61st ranked defense against the rush.

4. Wisconsin (loss for Purdue); 31 attempts and 194 yards for 6.3 yards per carry. Wisconsin had the 41st ranked defense against the rush.

5. Illinois (win for Purdue): 45 attempts and 189 yards for 4.2 yards per carry. Illinois had the 65th ranked defense against the rush.

6. Iowa (loss for Purdue): 40 attempts and 96 yards for 2.4 yards per carry. Iowa had the 17th ranked defense against the rush.

7. Ohio State (loss for Purdue): 35 attempts and 123 yards for 3.6 yards per carry. Ohio State had the 29th ranked defense against the rush

8. Nebraska (loss for Purdue): 29 attempts and 96 yards for 3.3 yards per carry. Nebraska had the 9th ranked defense against the rush.

9. Michigan (loss for Purdue): 29 attempts and 125 yards for 4.3 yards per carry. Michigan had the 6th best defense against the rush.

10. Minnesota (win for Purdue): 44 attempts and 353 yards for 8.0 yards per carry. Minnesota had the 64th ranked defense against the rush.

11. Northwestern (loss for Purdue): 54 attempts and 303 yards for 5.6 yards per carry. Northwestern had the 83 ranked defense.

12. Indiana (win for Purdue): 47 attempts and 178 yards for 3.8 yards per carry'

Take away the Minnesota game, NW and IU, Purdue averaged just over 3.75 yards per carry over the vast part of the 2023 season. That number would have you ranked 104 tied with Maryland and Fresno State. As it was, including the last three games (3 skewed --2 going one way and one going the other), Purdue finished 58th in yards per carry.

So no, I don't think Purdue was a successful running team. The numbers when it matter showed weren't good.

Saw the line on ND vs. PU went down to -9.5 after being as high as -12. I jumped all over that. Should be interesting. In my gut,
I feel like there’s been a massive overreaction to the NIU loss but this definitely also has an aura of “too good to be true” at this point which makes me somewhat leery.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I know they ran for a lot of yards, but they weren't close to first. So for the 2023 season the rushing totals per game are as follows:

1. Fresno State (loss for Purdue): 30 attempts and 109 yards for 3.6 yards per carry. Fresno State had the 97th ranked defense against the rush.

2. Virginia Tech (win for Purdue): 46 attempts and 179 yards for 3.9 yards per carry. VT had the 59th ranked defense against the rush

3. Syracuse (loss for Purdue); 32 attempts and 80 yards for 2.5 yards per carry. Syracuse had the 61st ranked defense against the rush.

4. Wisconsin (loss for Purdue); 31 attempts and 194 yards for 6.3 yards per carry. Wisconsin had the 41st ranked defense against the rush.

5. Illinois (win for Purdue): 45 attempts and 189 yards for 4.2 yards per carry. Illinois had the 65th ranked defense against the rush.

6. Iowa (loss for Purdue): 40 attempts and 96 yards for 2.4 yards per carry. Iowa had the 17th ranked defense against the rush.

7. Ohio State (loss for Purdue): 35 attempts and 123 yards for 3.6 yards per carry. Ohio State had the 29th ranked defense against the rush

8. Nebraska (loss for Purdue): 29 attempts and 96 yards for 3.3 yards per carry. Nebraska had the 9th ranked defense against the rush.

9. Michigan (loss for Purdue): 29 attempts and 125 yards for 4.3 yards per carry. Michigan had the 6th best defense against the rush.

10. Minnesota (win for Purdue): 44 attempts and 353 yards for 8.0 yards per carry. Minnesota had the 64th ranked defense against the rush.

11. Northwestern (loss for Purdue): 54 attempts and 303 yards for 5.6 yards per carry. Northwestern had the 83 ranked defense.

12. Indiana (win for Purdue): 47 attempts and 178 yards for 3.8 yards per carry'

Take away the Minnesota game, NW and IU, Purdue averaged just over 3.75 yards per carry over the vast part of the 2023 season. That number would have you ranked 104 tied with Maryland and Fresno State. As it was, including the last three games (3 skewed --2 going one way and one going the other), Purdue finished 58th in yards per carry.

So no, I don't think Purdue was a successful running team. The numbers when it matter showed weren't good.
I said big ten play only… it was pretty good there. And I’d say it mattered. Especially when Purdue had a hurt QB and no WR’s.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Saw the line on ND vs. PU went down to -9.5 after being as high as -12. I jumped all over that. Should be interesting. In my gut,
I feel like there’s been a massive overreaction to the NIU loss but this definitely also has an aura of “too good to be true” at this point which makes me somewhat leery.
I just don’t think ND is that good. And their QB is hurt, so probably won’t run as much. Purdue probably has the better QB and offense in this game. Can the defense be good enough?

--Bama at Wisconsin

--Oregon at Oregon St.

--ND at Purdue

--Indiana at UCLA

--Maryland at Virginia

Some comments:

--Bama at Wisconsin could get ugly for Wisconsin. I think the transition from Barry Ball to LF has been more difficult than expected.

-- I feel like ND at Purdue is a real wild card. Just about anything could happen. If Purdue does beat ND, it could be the beginning of the end for MF.

--IU playing in the Rose Bowl. So interesting. For most BT fans probably the 3rd most interesting game this WE.

--Maryland loss at MSU was really a bad one. Their coach needs to win this one. Interest in the program has not recovered since they left the ACC.

--Washington at WSU--Rivalry games are always interesting. Washington stadium is a cool place.

Those are 6 VERY watchable games. I think you might not really be a college football fan.

I said big ten play only… it was pretty good there. And I’d say it mattered. Especially when Purdue had a hurt QB and no WR’s.
You finished the season at 4-8.
--Bama at Wisconsin

--Oregon at Oregon St.

--ND at Purdue

--Indiana at UCLA

--Maryland at Virginia

Some comments:

there is a good game tonight--Kansas State v Arizon.

You finished the season at 4-8.

there is a good game tonight--Kansas State v Arizon.
Yes. Purdue finished 4-8 last year. It’s what happens when you lose a couple you shouldn’t, lack overall talent at key spots, and struggle with injuries and depth. It’s why Walter’s hit the portal hard this year on top of bringing in some highly ranked recruits.

Yes. Purdue finished 4-8 last year. It’s what happens when you lose a couple you shouldn’t, lack overall talent at key spots, and struggle with injuries and depth. It’s why Walter’s hit the portal hard this year on top of bringing in some highly ranked recruits.
I just looked at the snap counts for all the Purdue transfers. Now I have no idea who is injured and who is not, because I can barely keep track of Indiana's injuries, but it looks like only a few of the transfers got meaningful snaps--Madden, Sillah, sales, one of the Georgia WR. Seems limited?

I just looked at the snap counts for all the Purdue transfers. Now I have no idea who is injured and who is not, because I can barely keep track of Indiana's injuries, but it looks like only a few of the transfers got meaningful snaps--Madden, Sillah, sales, one of the Georgia WR. Seems limited?
The Georgia corner and WR were out vs Indiana state. Both starters. Questionable vs ND. Tanona wasn’t expected to contribute this year, but is. Had to get back into playing shape size wise. Stewart was out vs ISU and will be back (who sales started for). Brown was out vs isu. Last two were precautionary/weren’t needed so give them two more weeks. Ojata played. Be curious what his snap count looks like. Reggie Love played. Edrine played (missed all of last year after transferring in). Leland Smith caught a TD (JuCo guy). Two JuCo OL are hurt.

As for freshman, started a freshman WR and the 5 star CB that reclassified to 2024.

Basically, anyone that was questionable but could have played sat vs isu. Walter’s wanted to give them two more weeks.

As a Hoosier living in Alabama, I wish Wisky well. They will have their hands full. :cool:

I actually liked to watch them in their ground and pound days (as long as they weren't putting 80 on us). Having lots of different offensive and defensive schemes is the beauty of college football. This looks like another Texas/Michigan situation this Saturday. I do hope they keep it close.

I actually liked to watch them in their ground and pound days (as long as they weren't putting 80 on us). Having lots of different offensive and defensive schemes is the beauty of college football. This looks like another Texas/Michigan situation this Saturday. I do hope they keep it close.
I just don’t see how they do. Wisconsin has an average coach, an average defense, and a meh at best offense.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think Bama/Wisc may be closer than most think.
Madison will be rockin and I think they come out on fire.
SEC is not the most physical league and if Wisky is anything,they can be physical.
Bama didn’t look that great at home against South Florida.

I think Bama/Wisc may be closer than most think.
Madison will be rockin and I think they come out on fire.
SEC is not the most physical league and if Wisky is anything,they can be physical.
Bama didn’t look that great at home against South Florida.
Line is 15.5. I don't think it will be close at the end. Maybe through 3. I got a senior at Bama now so I'm all in on Kalen and the Tide. I'll be shocked if closer than two touchdowns. Go Hoosiers! I don't like Wisky. I do like beating them in any sport and have a heavy bias.

Down to -7.5!

Line is 15.5. I don't think it will be close at the end. Maybe through 3. I got a senior at Bama now so I'm all in on Kalen and the Tide. I'll be shocked if closer than two touchdowns. Go Hoosiers! I don't like Wisky. I do like beating them in any sport and have a heavy bias.
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Haha
Reactions: mobilehoosier
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT