ADVERTISEMENT

Mullins blowing up...

Mullins was offered by Purdue yesterday. Normally, that wouldn't be news but Purdue has one open ride for that class. Short of another person dropping off scholarship and paying their own way, offering a guard is a pretty big deal.
They MAY have an open ride for that year. If Furst is the one that leaves this year to get them to 13, then they have no one who would be in their final year of eligibility in 2024-25

Reactions: kkott
Is it me or does Mullens remind me a little of Luke Recker athletic probably better shooter then Recker but I see alot of his game like Recker.

Reactions: SWA
Not sure how that’s setting sights lower than its capacity? Recruit and develop and have the money to keep them once they develop.
Potential approaches for IU.

Purdue's approach...recruit lower star ranked talent, don't utilize the portal heavily, rely on continuity, development, and low turnover. That has worked relatively well for Painter, and its given him decent success within the B10, and he's had a few decent tournament teams from it as well. IU would have some perplexed NIL boosters and donors, that are constantly questioning why we're not fully utilizing them to get difference maker talent, that could elevate IU to Natty contending levels. But, for sure, if Woody or whoever the next coach is can match Purdue's results the last 6-7 years, I think most of us would be pretty happy.

Duke/UK approach...recruit the highest rated kids you can possibly get. Lots of them being 1 year kids that are either grad transfers, or early NBA level kids. Kentucky and Duke both are very competitive at the top of their respective conferences, both have had success going deep in to the NCAA tournament in the last decade or so. But both fanbases have been very ancy and recently disappointed, with not being serious Banner contenders...and that has ended up being because they're playing with nearly entire rosters filled with new kids every year. With where we're at right now, similar to the results a successful Purdue approach might produce, I think most of us IU fans would be very happy with having UK or Duke like teams for the foreseeable future.

UConn approach...which is establish who you are, and who you want to be. And use the vast resources available, every year, to get the most talented players possible that fit who you are and who you want to be. Some years that will mean there's a need to get more players than others, either via the portal or from late HS signees. Some years, you'll have a decent group of really talented players that feel their NIL package at IU is enough to hold off professional basketball for another year, and you'll have more continuity. But UConn sent 3 guys to the NBA draft, including the Final Four MVP...and proceeded to get quite a lot better. They did that with a 1 and done freshman in Castle, a returning transfer in Newton, and they added a grad transfer in Spencer. They had some good returning guys, that they recruited originally and developed, in Karabaan and Clingan. But the rest of the roster was a blend of highly rated HS kids and portal guys.

I think the near future plans of top programs in college basketball will be to take the UConn approach. 1/3 to 1/2 the roster with talented HS kids you recruited originally. Work with them, develop them, try to keep them. 1/4 to 1/3 with 1 year new kids...grad transfer or HS or Portal 1 and dones. And then 1/4 to 1/3 multi year portal kids.

Purdue will end up feeling the strains and challenges that NIL/Portal cause, and will start adding rented talent. Duke/UK (Arkansas now actually I guess) will start looking for more guys they think will play multiple years in their program.

The end path, or the end goal, for both of them will be to be more like UConn, or Kansas, or whoever is winning via a blend of it all. IU should just choose to strive for that immediately...because they can. Purdue can't, so they're taking the best approach for who they are.

I have no idea why anyone pretends like things that happened 5 years ago tell us anything about what strategy we should implement going forward.

Unlimited transfers and NIL collectives are a hydrogen bomb. Everything has changed for good, and there is no going back.

Some of you guys talking about RMK are killing me. UConn is out here dropping nuclear bombs and you guys are talking about building more trenches and fixing bayonets. Wake up man.

Purdue and their model is a dinosaur, and the meteor just hit. They will evolve or die.

I have no idea why anyone pretends like things that happened 5 years ago tell us anything about what strategy we should implement going forward.

Unlimited transfers and NIL collectives are a hydrogen bomb. Everything has changed for good, and there is no going back.

Some of you guys talking about RMK are killing me. UConn is out here dropping nuclear bombs and you guys are talking about building more trenches and fixing bayonets. Wake up man.

Purdue and their model is a dinosaur, and the meteor just hit. They will evolve or die.
Why is it for the better?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Why is it for the better?
Reading is fundamental. I didn't say it was.

But it is better, because the NCAA is no longer allowed to artificially depress wages for their most talented employees for the sake of some illusory idea of "amateurism."

This Purdue “model” is so overblown. Painter is just a very good coach and that’s about all of it. They will pay NIL like everyone else, and they will use the portal. Lurch just delayed some of this transition for them.
Lance Jones was portal

This season is so important for future recruiting.
With a successful season the top guys will see that there can be success at IU.
If not, none of these guys will want to come and it will be starting all over again.
Might not be quite that quite cut and dried but I agree.

They MAY have an open ride for that year. If Furst is the one that leaves this year to get them to 13, then they have no one who would be in their final year of eligibility in 2024-25
No one needs to leave this year. Already at 13, Purdue announced that a scholarship player agreed to go off scholarship and pay their own way. Plus Furst is a senior, that is their one spot. It would need to be an upcoming junior or below.

"Doing things Well"...for sure.

"Doing things the Right Way"... up for debate. It generally works for Purdue, and for what their program expectations have become throughout the years. But as has been talked about ad nauseum, the "Purdue way" isn't necessarily what IU should emulate.

IU last went to a FF in 2002...the "Purdue way" that you've had a hard on for lately produces FF's once every 44 years or so...and this time it took a generational, Canadian, talent to get there. They may never go back. I'd rather IU make some again before 2046. I'll be pushing 70 by then, might give me a heart attack.

Lets emulate UConn, or Carolina, or Kansas... as long as its been since we rubbed elbows with those types of schools, this offseason proves IU still has the resources and national profile to quickly get back up there...with the right coach who uses the right approach and philosophy.
Couple of sentences give me pause. The right coach and right approach? Hmmm. And the one about pushing 70. Some of us are getting way too damn close to that. Are we actually supposed to have a heart attack?

I've seen quite a bit of both AAU teams and Elite is well coached and they play as a team. Mullins has improved so much over the last year its pretty incredible. I think he's rapidly closing in on Haralson, as the best player in the state. He gets alot of Dalton Knecht comps. He'll need 30 more lbs but he could be a 6th man year one. Sisley, is somewhere between Steve Eyl and Jarrad Odle as high schoolers. His effort and IQ will get him on the floor early, but he's undersized as a 4 and more of a connector at the high D1 level. That's my opinion.

No one needs to leave this year. Already at 13, Purdue announced that a scholarship player agreed to go off scholarship and pay their own way. Plus Furst is a senior, that is their one spot. It would need to be an upcoming junior or below.
Who is going to walk on status??? I had not heard, I knew that was the hope but had not seen an official announcement

with NIL in theory could have as many players as you want, just give them the cash and have them pay their own way.

Who is going to walk on status??? I had not heard, I knew that was the hope but had not seen an official announcement
They didn't announce the player for privacy reasons but one would figure it was Brian Waddell or Caleb Furst. Caleb already graduated while Brian either graduated or will at semester. There has to be specific circumstances for the NCAA to grant this (such as academic reasons or the player stating he'd rather stay at their current school than transfer).

They didn't announce the player for privacy reasons but one would figure it was Brian Waddell or Caleb Furst. Caleb already graduated while Brian either graduated or will at semester. There has to be specific circumstances for the NCAA to grant this (such as academic reasons or the player stating he'd rather stay at their current school than transfer).
So if it is Furst it does absolutely nothing for them in the 25 class, they would still have 13 kids on scholly in 24/25 that could return in 25/26, so it does not free one up going forward, correct

So if it is Furst it does absolutely nothing for them in the 25 class, they would still have 13 kids on scholly in 24/25 that could return in 25/26, so it does not free one up going forward, correct
who cares? What's the point of trying to figure out PU's roster spots? I'm not trying to be a d_ _ _, but why would an IU fan care? Seems as though Painter's doubling down on continuing to recruit HS players as much as possible. Tells me what he thinks about PU's NIL outlook. Weird though, because I thought Lance Jones was a real positive for them this year.

with NIL in theory could have as many players as you want, just give them the cash and have them pay their own way.
Not true, there needs to be an academic or specific situation.
Correct but I would guess they'd do the same for Brian next year or Brian would decide to transfer and get playing time at a smaller school. Either way, they'll have one open ride next season.

Not true, there needs to be an academic or specific situation.
Regarding specific situation, in a previous post you stated the following as an example: …”such as academic reasons or the player stating he'd rather stay at their current school than transfer”.

Couldn’t any player state they’d rather stay than transfer? That doesn’t seem like a specific situation. Seems pretty simple to get around that.

Genuinely curious if that’s how it’s written (wherever that would be)? Thanks.

I'd take everyone off the list to emulate but UConn. I think that guy is building a monster, and that's who I'd be emulating. IU really has hit upon the perfect storm to get back to relevancy with NIL. Whether Woody was lazy or ahead of the curve, I think winning programs are going to have to adjust their tactics and go after stud HS players, OR pursue proven players with NIL. Doing things the "old way" of getting lower-rated HS guys and developing them is going by the wayside and will be more of a rarity going forward. Painter and Izzo both seem to be behind the curve, but obviously both are proven coaches. I think we may really rue that we didn't go ahead and pull the trigger and get Dusty, but we'll see. I'm hopeful that Woody putting renewed focus on the 2025 guys shows he's going to do just that: go after really good HS'ers and be active in NIL.

This year is a litmus test. I hope the powers that be set minimum expectations, and to me that should be a minimum of a top 2 showing in the B10 and 2nd weekend of the tourney, with the resources poured in.
Agreed, which brings up the point I made a couple of years ago... should IU hire a scouting coordinator/staff who sole job is to identify, profile and track Top 30ish potential transfer portal players å la professional baseball????

I say yes.

Reactions: edub72
Agreed, which brings up the point I made a couple of years ago... should IU hire a scouting coordinator/staff who sole job is to identify, profile and track Top 30ish potential transfer portal players å la professional baseball????

I say yes.
I would think that position would be a huge asset with the new portal dynamics. With the right person, they could also be in charge of scouting foreign prospects too. I have a feeling with the amount of NIL money available, we're going to start seeing an influx of top talent foreign kids. Maybe not? Maybe their club/pro teams pay them more while waiting for NBA draft ages?

If IU could get Tlller, Mullins, Moreno, maybe Sisley and a point guard, they could save last for portal player or an up and comer in 25'. I won't hold my breathe for Harralson to come.

Regarding specific situation, in a previous post you stated the following as an example: …”such as academic reasons or the player stating he'd rather stay at their current school than transfer”.

Couldn’t any player state they’d rather stay than transfer? That doesn’t seem like a specific situation. Seems pretty simple to get around that.

Genuinely curious if that’s how it’s written (wherever that would be)? Thanks.
They can do basically what they want.

I would think that position would be a huge asset with the new portal dynamics. With the right person, they could also be in charge of scouting foreign prospects too. I have a feeling with the amount of NIL money available, we're going to start seeing an influx of top talent foreign kids. Maybe not? Maybe their club/pro teams pay them more while waiting for NBA draft ages?
Isn't that what Hulls' job is?

Team and Recruiting Coordinator

True ‘dat, but he had the last laugh as one tough S.O.B. for Purdue. I was thankful when he graduated, as I will be when the name Braden Smith comes to past.
I liked Cardinal... dude played hard. PU's had some good hard playing guys: Cardinal, Kramer, Doug Lee, Todd Mitchell, Cuonzo Martin, Scheffler all come to mind. And, yes Smith and Edey will be added to that list!

Can go back far too — Brian Cardinal comes to mind.
Going back way too far long…Rick Mount had that physical PU look. I don’t think it’s ever been said what the name of his haircut was. It was a strange one on the cover of Sports Illustrated, one that could only be described. His warm-up jacket looked more like a marching band uniform.

Jordan Hulls is that guy. It's one of those roles you give a guy before making them an assistant. Walsh was hired as one of those guys, then Fife was fired, everyone got bumped up and for 3 years Walsh has been ojt recruiting the state and surrounding areas. This is a big cycle for him. Woody is directly involved with Haralson and maybe Adam's too, not sure about Adam's, but Walsh has Indy Elite, most of the Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio kids. My understanding is that if he blows it with the big 3 then there will be a change before the 27' class gets away from us. That class will be better than 25'

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Jordan Hulls is that guy. It's one of those roles you give a guy before making them an assistant. Walsh was hired as one of those guys, then Fife was fired, everyone got bumped up and for 3 years Walsh has been ojt recruiting the state and surrounding areas. This is a big cycle for him. Woody is directly involved with Haralson and maybe Adam's too, not sure about Adam's, but Walsh has Indy Elite, most of the Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio kids. My understanding is that if he blows it with the big 3 then there will be a change before the 27' class gets away from us. That class will be better than 25'
I'm thinking more of this role as a permanent, very well compensated role...more of a personable, sports agent, analytics minded guy. Not saying Hulls couldn't do that. Just that I don't think it should be a guy that's just trying to get his foot in the door and move up to a different job. More of those guys flame out than end up becoming effective assistants or head coaches some day. This job would be maximized by someone that's worked in sports management, maybe has been a pro scout of some sorts... Just a thought. Point is, someone that can scour hundreds of prospects every year across the globe, and help the coaches identify the best 40-50 to actively recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT