ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Uh oh. People get cancelled for implying that women have vaginas.

it’s a good show and the three women do a great job. But we get bored with shows that feature only fundamentally unhappy and flawed characters.
I like those shows best. I also like shows that feature zero celebrities we know. Adds even more authenticity. This is the golden age of tv

But we get bored with shows that feature only fundamentally unhappy and flawed characters.
Speaking of that, I am 4 episodes into Yellowstone and am rooting for a nuclear war. The writing is terrible (did Costner use kindergartners), the characters offer me no reason to continue.

Speaking of that, I am 4 episodes into Yellowstone and am rooting for a nuclear war. The writing is terrible (did Costner use kindergartners), the characters offer me no reason to continue.
Damn you’re highfalutin. Well here’s another low rent show I’m thoroughly enjoying: Mr. Inbetween.

What did you think?
I finished the first part, then got sidetracked into Michael Lewis's new book, then started watching Mare of Easttown. I've developed mid-life ADD. Going to try to finish this week.

So far, I can say, I'm not as "in" to it as his past work, although I still marvel at how he conveys emotion and feeling just by describing a scene and people's outward reactions to events. He's always been so, so good at that. And, of course, getting inside the POV of different people and characters. Maybe one of the reasons I'm having a tough time with this one is that the POV is so ignorant and innocent, I'm not finding as many hidden layers. Still in the first 1/3 of the book, though, so I assume my tune will change.

I finished the first part, then got sidetracked into Michael Lewis's new book, then started watching Mare of Easttown. I've developed mid-life ADD. Going to try to finish this week.

So far, I can say, I'm not as "in" to it as his past work, although I still marvel at how he conveys emotion and feeling just by describing a scene and people's outward reactions to events. He's always been so, so good at that. And, of course, getting inside the POV of different people and characters. Maybe one of the reasons I'm having a tough time with this one is that the POV is so ignorant and innocent, I'm not finding as many hidden layers. Still in the first 1/3 of the book, though, so I assume my tune will change.
I’m digging Mare so far (4 epis in)

Watched Without Remorse last night. Don’t waste your time. I thought it was one of Clancy’s best books after Hunt, but movie is pretty awful. I’ll need to read the book again just to cleanse my mind of the bad taste of the movie.

Reactions: larsIU
Watched Without Remorse last night. Don’t waste your time. I thought it was one of Clancy’s best books after Hunt, but movie is pretty awful. I’ll need to read the book again just to cleanse my mind of the bad taste of the movie.
Movie is beyond awful. What a waste of MBJ’s talent.

Thinking of sci Fi, I am halfway through Project Hail Mary and unless it adds a motorcycle and a shark tank in the second half, it is great.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
True. Her personal life beat her up pretty good. Maybe we need to see what she is like a few year down the road to judge certain things.
I'm 5 episodes in so maybe this is not realistic, but are you saying a sequel could be feasible?

I'll be interested in your response once you get back to it. I read it all in one sitting. First time I did that with a new release since Deathly Hallows.

Just watched Tim Burton's Big Fish. For nearly two hours it is a very fun film. Great script, good directing. Some really solid acting performances from Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney as the same character in two different eras. I really was enjoying it.

And then the ending. The last fifteen minutes is some of the most emotionally wrenching, beautiful work I've seen on the screen, and it's Billy Crudup's time to shine. It was phenomenal. The entire film was good, as it were, but not the kind of thing you'd remember years later...until the ending. Wow. If you have HBO Max, watch this. It will have your eyes watering like you're watching Field of Dreams.

If you are a country music fan and you are not listening to Cocaine and Rhinestones, well , I don’t know what to tell you. The first season was great then there was a long 3 year break. Now the second season is out and it’s amazing. Best podcast going right now IMO.

Let me know when you're done. I have some thoughts on the show and I'd like to know if they line up with others. I'll spare the spoilers for now.

Finished it tonight. Told the wife I thought it was $13.93 well spent and she didn't argue with me. It was enjoyable, but didn't blow me away. But I'm hard to entertain. The ending didn't surprise me all that much. I saw it coming as one of several different possibilities.

Edit to add: I still think Winslet could have been hotter.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Finished it tonight. Told the wife I thought it was $13.93 well spent and she didn't argue with me. It was enjoyable, but didn't blow me away. But I'm hard to entertain. The ending didn't surprise me all that much. I saw it coming as one of several different possibilities.

Edit to add: I still think Winslet could have been hotter.
There were some definite plot holes. Like I told goat I think it needed to be ten episodes not seven. Could have rounded it out a bit

Goat - can't recall if you are a podcast listener, but Ft. Meigs has a really great podcast about the War of 1812 (published by the Fort Meigs Historic Site. It’s a great listen, full of contemporary accounts and even music. Reminds me a little bit of Dan Carlin but less in your face. https://www.fortmeigs.org/podcast/
You've tagged me a couple of times for this, so I'm going to download it and listen. Obviously, I've been to Ft. Meigs many times. One of my favorite Midwestern historical sites, right up there with Johnny Appleseed's grave.

Reactions: Noodle
I finished Project Hail Mary, and it is outstanding science fiction. If I had read it, I would have tried the all-nighter but being an audiobook that just isn't possible. It has humor, tension, awe, and wonder.

I finished Project Hail Mary, and it is outstanding science fiction. If I had read it, I would have tried the all-nighter but being an audiobook that just isn't possible. It has humor, tension, awe, and wonder.

How does it rate compared to The Martian?

But how did it compare to Artemis? As I posted many, many pages ago, I was not enthralled by Artemis. Will I find the same shortcomings in this new novel?
I looked at your review. Mary does largely fit the description. The primary female character is in some respects comedic relief. So she is not fully developed. But she is also not in the story that much.

I did not read Artemis, but this book to me is very much like Martian except I like the setting even more. The character is still an everyman, hence why Hanks came to mind.

Seems time to include podcasts in the thread title. Maybe I’m in the minority but I’ve traded much of my tv time for podcasts while multitasking or relaxing. Yes/No?

Reactions: Cortez88
So some of the stuff I listen to probably wouldn’t interest most of you as it’s about fantasy sports or Jewish podcasts. However I’m a long time listener of the Otis Gibbs podcast “Thanks for Giving a Damn”. Anyone who likes music would appreciate this. He’s a musician himself from the Indy area. https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/thanks-for-giving-a-damn/id568743610
If you are a music guy, listen to Cocaine and Rhinestones. It’s incredible in its detail.

Reactions: Eppy99
If you are a music guy, listen to Cocaine and Rhinestones. It’s incredible in its detail.
This looks great. Will give a listen. You’ll probably enjoy Otis’s podcast too if you’ve never listened.

Any good recommendations?
If you're into the lighter side of history (done by two comedians in an interesting format) check out The Dollop.

Especially if they are talking about baseball players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT