Bill Lynch73194.75
Gary DiNardo5182.6
Terry Hep.4894.5
Lee Corso28414.1
Tom Allen0305
Kevin Wilson0264.33
Cam Cameron0183.6
Sam Wyche033

Since Lee Corso (which I consider the start of the modern era for IU football), IU has hired 8 different coaches. I was interested in the performance of hiring an experienced HC vs. a new HC since Lee @ IU. Note - BM's yr avg. includes his 0-11 season (my sophomore year at IU). He should be closer to 5.8 wins per year minus year 1. By adding RC into the war room, we have added 62+ D1 HC Wins. To me, it seems to make a case that an experienced HC has a higher probability for success.

Last edited:
Lee Corso played Nebraska and USC. Not Indiana State and Akron. He beat an undefeated Brigham Young team in the Holiday Bowl. And he was eventually rewarded by finding out he was fired while listening to the radio in his car.

This is only Allen's 7th year as head coach. You're including him taking over for the bowl game in 2016. His 32 wins over 7 years comes out to 4.57 wins per year and if he can squeak out three more from Illinois/MSU/Purdue/Rutgers, he'll finish with a flat 5 wins per year. Embarrassing that is second best on this list and even if he hits that mark he deserves to be shown the door.

IU CoachCollege Wins At HireTotal Wins IUWins/Yr @IU
Bill Malory99695.3
Bill Lynch73194.75
Gary DiNardo5182.6
Terry Hep.4894.5
Lee Corso28414.1
Tom Allen0324
Kevin Wilson0264.33
Cam Cameron0183.6
Sam Wyche033

Since Lee Corso (which I consider the start of the modern era for IU football), IU has hired 8 different coaches. I was interested in the performance of hiring an experienced HC vs. a new HC since Lee @ IU. Note - BM's yr avg. includes his 0-11 season (my sophomore year at IU). He should be closer to 5.8 wins per year minus year 1. By adding RC into the war room, we have added 62+ D1 HC Wins. To me, it seems to make a case that an experienced HC has a higher probability for success.
I'd like to see win pct. Allen only coached 1 game in 2016 and was 6-2 in an 8 game 2020. Wins per season do not tell the story.

Bill Malory99695.3
Bill Lynch73194.75
Gary DiNardo5182.6
Terry Hep.4894.5
Lee Corso28414.1
Tom Allen0324
Kevin Wilson0264.33
Cam Cameron0183.6
Sam Wyche033

I have always said that getting rid of Bill Mallory was the worst mistake IU football ever made.

Bill Malory99695.3
Bill Lynch73194.75
Gary DiNardo5182.6
Terry Hep.4894.5
Lee Corso28414.1
Tom Allen0324
Kevin Wilson0264.33
Cam Cameron0183.6
Sam Wyche033

Good post, thanks for sharing this.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I have always said that getting rid of Bill Mallory was the worst mistake IU football ever made.
We were 1-15 in the conference in his last two seasons and recruiting had nosedived. We weren’t recovering under Mal. He even tried to bolster recruiting by pursuing some kids that weren’t close to being college ready academically, and it blew up. Loved him, but we were the worst program in the conference when he left.

We were 1-15 in the conference in his last two seasons and recruiting had nosedived. We weren’t recovering under Mal. He even tried to bolster recruiting by pursuing some kids that weren’t close to being college ready academically, and it blew up. Loved him, but we were the worst program in the conference when he left.
All because of the lack of administration support. He had it going and they wouldn't support him.

Last edited:
As I recall attendance was about 25,000 and there was no BTN. If I recall correctly Bill Mallory was blamed for being too loyal to his coaching staff when they weren't performing. Sounds familiar.

As I recall attendance was about 25,000 and there was no BTN. If I recall correctly Bill Mallory was blamed for being too loyal to his coaching staff when they weren't performing. Sounds familiar.
He got blamed for a lot, but recruiting had really fallen off. We couldn’t get nearly enough kids, and that’s when it went south for him. Great guy and was all in for us.

IU had (at least) 3 hypothetically excellent chances to seize the moment and dramatically improve the football program and try to “lock in” those improvements:

1) after Pont’s Rose Bowl (before the Knight era, it’s worth remembering)

2) after Corso’s Holiday Bowl

3) after Mallory’s wins vs tOSU & Michigan

In each case the powers-that-be chose to do something close to the bare minimum.

Talk about “never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity.”

IU had (at least) 3 hypothetically excellent chances to seize the moment and dramatically improve the football program and try to “lock in” those improvements:

1) after Pont’s Rose Bowl (before the Knight era, it’s worth remembering)

2) after Corso’s Holiday Bowl

3) after Mallory’s wins vs tOSU & Michigan

In each case the powers-that-be chose to do something close to the bare minimum.

Talk about “never missing an opportunity to miss an opportunity.”
I've always thought that coach Knights amazing success with the basketball program was a detriment to the football program. Primarily because the athletic department couldn't see beyond their freaking noses.

Reactions: indy1203
I've always thought that coach Knights amazing success with the basketball program was a detriment to the football program. Primarily because the athletic department couldn't see beyond their freaking noses.
One of the many things Knight’s success did was help the Ath Dept continue to operate in the black despite the struggles of the football program. It helps to soften the blow of a 35% or 40% empty football stadium if you’re selling out a 17,000 seat basketball arena for every home game.

He had his successes, but his last years were all downhill. At the time, Cameron was the hottest up and coming name in the business. People were excited about the change. Too bad he proved the Peter Principle to be valid.

He had his successes, but his last years were all downhill. At the time, Cameron was the hottest up and coming name in the business. People were excited about the change. Too bad he proved the Peter Principle to be valid.
Knight had his fingers in this, wanted his boy in as head coach

Knight had his fingers in this, wanted his boy in as head coach

When Cam was hired, RMK said something to the effect of "He played for me and worked for Bo. He'll be a success."

Heard stories about Knight showing up at football practice and going out on the field to coach DBs on how to play defense.

When Cam was hired, RMK said something to the effect of "He played for me and worked for Bo. He'll be a success."

Heard stories about Knight showing up at football practice and going out on the field to coach DBs on how to play defense.
Well they are 3 peas in a pod

I loved Mallory, but his recruiting had fallen behind the league and our team's execution had become embarrassing. I remember an on side kick MSU returned for a TD in his last year. I felt he didn't have the same energy he had when we were successful. It was time to make a change.

Lee Corso played Nebraska and USC. Not Indiana State and Akron. He beat an undefeated Brigham Young team in the Holiday Bowl. And he was eventually rewarded by finding out he was fired while listening to the radio in his car.
Look.. CLC did not play anything like the Big10 East Division year after year & get the best teams in your cross over games. IU & CTA have consistently played the hardest schedules the last 5 years. How did CLC do against Nebraska because I think CTA beat them & CLC lost 69-17 in Btown? I remember watching as a small boy in the TV room at Sears - Nebraska RB's broke big play after big play..

Last edited:
John Pont’s 3.8 wins per season is perhaps deserving to start this list.
31-51-1
John had winning records at Miami (O.) and Yale before he joined IU.
You are correct.. I could have stated with John which would have further solidified the whole point that hiring an experienced HC has an overall better chance for success vs. an OC/DC with no HC experience. How many rookie HC errors have we endured these past 5-6 seasons as CTA learns the HC role? Why can't we hire a seasoned coach with 100's of wins. Like CTM - A seasoned HC at the D1-AA or lower D1 who wants to take his program to the upper D1 level.

This is only Allen's 7th year as head coach. You're including him taking over for the bowl game in 2016. His 32 wins over 7 years comes out to 4.57 wins per year and if he can squeak out three more from Illinois/MSU/Purdue/Rutgers, he'll finish with a flat 5 wins per year. Embarrassing that is second best on this list and even if he hits that mark he deserves to be shown the door.
I actually changed it to 30 wins over 6 years & made it 5.

Reactions: nichlee
Nope, Bill Mallory refusing to get rid of his OC and the administration not building on his success with more investment to keep recruiting pretty good is the worst mistake. Mallory's last few years were freaking horrid.

Mal’s ‘92-‘94 recruiting classes did him in. Numerous guys washed out after a year or 2, or just never developed.

‘94 class saw him get the top OL (Whicker) and DL (Bo B from BHS South) in the state…huge gets, but Whicker never made it thru his first camp. Barzo was a total bust.

Chris Dittoe in ‘92, another big get from FW, never developed. Can’t recall if the following guys were ‘92 or ‘93, but Jermaine Ware, Kenyatta Williams, Shane Graham were all very highly rated. 2 of the 3 left after a year and Ware barely saw the field.

Not sure if he was the state’s top prospect in class of ‘93 or not, but Jamal Williams from Merrillville loved Mal and DB’s Coach Morris, but signed with Nebraska, where he started 2-3 years on the original Black Shirts D and won 2 National championships.

If Mal had retired after ‘93 or ‘94, he probably gets to name his DC, Joe Novak as his successor. Instead, after the disastrous ‘95 season, where EVERYTHING went wrong on the field for IU (and totally unheralded Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl), Novak took off for NIU, where he did great things. I’ve often wondered what might have been had Novak taken over???

Last edited:
Mal’s ‘92-‘94 recruiting classes did him in. Numerous guys washed out after a year or 2, or just never developed.

‘94 class saw him get the top OL (Whicker) and DL (Bo B from BHS South) in the state…huge gets, but Whicker never made it thru his first camp. Barzo was a total bust.

Chris Dittoe in ‘92, another big get from FW, never developed. Can’t recall if the following guys were ‘92 or ‘93, but Jermaine Ware, Kenyatta Williams, Shane Graham were all very highly rated. 2 of the 3 left after a year and Ware barely saw the field.

Not sure if he was the state’s top prospect in class of ‘93 or not, but Jamal Williams from Merrillville loved Mal and DB’s Coach Morris, but signed with Nebraska, where he started 2-3 years on the original Black Shirts D and won 2 National championships.

If Mal had retired after ‘93 or ‘94, he probably gets to name his DC, Joe Novak as his successor. Instead, after the disastrous ‘95 season, where EVERYTHING went wrong on the field for IU (and totally unheralded Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl), Novak took off for NIU, where he did great things. I’ve often wondered what might have been had Novak taken over???
It also didn't help when the administration made things more difficult for the athletic teams to recruit junior college players. It was at some point in the early 90s when IU was not allowed to accept players who did not qualify academically right out of high school. It did not matter if they improved their academics during their time in junior college.

Coach Allen mentioned last year that IU was the only school in the conference to take this position. If this had occurred in the 1980s IU could have lost out on some junior college linemen who helped us win. I don't know if Keith Smart and Dean Garrett could have joined IU for the 1986-87 basketball season if iU had that policy in place.

Look.. CLC did not play anything like the Big10 East Division year after year & get the best teams in your cross over games. IU & CTA have consistently played the hardest schedules the last 5 years. How did CLC do against Nebraska because I think CTA beat them & CLC lost 69-17 in Btown? I remember watching as a small boy in the TV room at Sears - Nebraska RB's broke big play after big play..
Comparing Nebraska then and now is like comparing IU 76 Bball team to Crean's first year team.
Neb running back was I M Hipp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT