ADVERTISEMENT

Missed Free Throws..

Shared it on here many times, but I improved my own and the kids I coached who would do it, FT shooting dramatically by playing a game called FT golf. You shoot 18 shots as in 18 holes in golf and a make is a par, a swish with no rim is a birdie and a miss is a bogey. The thing it does is help you work on making the "perfect" shot, but because a shot doesn't have to be perfect to go in, you make a hell of a lot more. Some times I didn't have a great score (for me -8 or better was great), but I'd realize at the end of the game that I just made 16 out of 18 FTs, whereas when I started messing with it I was about a 70% FT shooter. Truly believe it will help players of all skill levels who diligently try it and practice it. Try it! It's fun and I don't know anyone who's done it regularly who hasn't seen their FT percentage improve.

I got to hear Jay Bilas at a coaching clinic for HS coaches and all the speakers were college or pro coaches and they had a small college team there to demonstrate. Jay talked about and had them work on swishing their layups. Same reasoning: if you can swish layups (off the glass but no rim) all the time when practicing you'll make more in games at game speed. That approach would also help Justin Smith and McSwain!

Shared it on here many times, but I improved my own and the kids I coached who would do it, FT shooting dramatically by playing a game called FT golf. You shoot 18 shots as in 18 holes in golf and a make is a par, a swish with no rim is a birdie and a miss is a bogey. The thing it does is help you work on making the "perfect" shot, but because a shot doesn't have to be perfect to go in, you make a hell of a lot more. Some times I didn't have a great score (for me -8 or better was great), but I'd realize at the end of the game that I just made 16 out of 18 FTs, whereas when I started messing with it I was about a 70% FT shooter. Truly believe it will help players of all skill levels who diligently try it and practice it. Try it! It's fun and I don't know anyone who's done it regularly who hasn't seen their FT percentage improve.

I got to hear Jay Bilas at a coaching clinic for HS coaches and all the speakers were college or pro coaches and they had a small college team there to demonstrate. Jay talked about and had them work on swishing their layups. Same reasoning: if you can swish layups (off the glass but no rim) all the time when practicing you'll make more in games at game speed. That approach would also help Justin Smith and McSwain!
I have never heard of this teaching technique but I think it is a very good idea. One of the most important statistics from the Bobby Knight teams was making more FTs during a season than opponents shot. In my opinion due to good form teaching and defensive positioning.

These kids are not concentrating at all at the line. Toss and hope.. no confidence whatsoever.
2 miles per miss may help them
The best free throw shooters do not concentrate; they do it by rote memory. You have to shoot thousands to develop that.

The basketball game free throw is analogous to the three ft. putt in the game of golf. Ten percent of it is maintaining proper mechanics throughout the swing while ninety percent of it is calming the demons within the mind before the mechanics even start. I gave up the game of golf because I could never master control over the demons....the paralysis that came with too much analysis...the fear of missing the short putt your buddies should have called a "gimme". The only thing worse than shanking your ball out of the 1st tee box is shanking your "mulligan" the same way. When I did play a round of golf, I was one of those guys who felt I needed to spend an hour at the driving range to try and find my groove right before playing. It never seemed to work particularly well and I got tired of almost always being the last to tee it up in a foursome. I've always said, guys that play golf all the time are usually pretty good. The bad ones weed themselves out.

Reactions: kkott
Trailrunner — “Now having said that it does appear we may need to devotemore time to the skill of FT shooting. This skill isperfected through learning correct form, concentration, and practice practice practice. Lack of concentrationcan be corrected by running bleachers. Form can be taught”

“Practice doesn’t make perfect — Perfect practice makes perfect. — RMK”

It may not take much to lose/gain your touch at FT line. Was listening to a mo Bamba interview on the radio about his recent stretch of FT shooting after he hit 17-18 FT shots. The kid has really good shooting mechanics but his .pct was lower than expected early in the season. His answer was he changed his routine. He started doing 2 dribbles instead of 3 and they strarted falling. wonder how much practice time it took for him to figure that out. Not that he takes a lot of threes but it must of built his confidence because now his 3 pointers are going down. I don't know. Maybe he was running stairs and became to tired to do 3 dribbles and shortened it to 2. Kind of the Pasteur effect.

Perhaps they are more athletic but the fundamentals and teamwork not so much
Agree, more athletic, but that has not translated into being better basketball players. The '75 and '76 Hoosiers and the UCLA teams during the dynasty were the best groups of basketball players I have ever seen.

Agree, more athletic, but that has not translated into being better basketball players. The '75 and '76 Hoosiers and the UCLA teams during the dynasty were the best groups of basketball players I have ever seen.
Don't you realize that if it happened before 2000 it did not exist or take place.LOI!

How would Jaren Jackson do in the 80’s?

He would do alright but back then on a top 5 team he wouldn't be starting because those teams had better upperclassman playing in front of him.

Jaren Jackson would have been fine in the 80's (let me refine this a little more, let's call it the late 80's/early 90's), he is elite. Depending on the makeup of the team, he could have started on top 5 teams in the late 80's/early 90's.

But remember, in the late 80's/early 90's Freshman Jaren Jackson would have been competing against Jaren Jackson type players that were Juniors and Seniors. Now, those types of players are in college for two years max.

The late 80's/early 90's before the number of early exits to the league really increased was the greatest college basketball viewing I've experienced.

In the Big Ten alone, there were multiple epic battles every week. I won't remember all the names, but off the top of my head you had:
Iowa: Armstrong, Horton, Marble
Illinois: Gill, Anderson, Liberty, Battle, Hamilton
Michigan:Rice, Robinson, Mills, Vaught, Higgins
Ohio State: Jackson...
Purdue: Lewis, Mitchell, Stephens
IU: Cheaney, Graham, Henderson, Bailey, Evans...
It was tremendous.

Reactions: IU Scott
Jaren Jackson would have been fine in the 80's (let me refine this a little more, let's call it the late 80's/early 90's), he is elite. Depending on the makeup of the team, he could have started on top 5 teams in the late 80's/early 90's.

But remember, in the late 80's/early 90's Freshman Jaren Jackson would have been competing against Jaren Jackson type players that were Juniors and Seniors. Now, those types of players are in college for two years max.

The late 80's/early 90's before the number of early exits to the league really increased was the greatest college basketball viewing I've experienced.

In the Big Ten alone, there were multiple epic battles every week. I won't remember all the names, but off the top of my head you had:
Iowa: Armstrong, Horton, Marble
Illinois: Gill, Anderson, Liberty, Battle, Hamilton
Michigan:Rice, Robinson, Mills, Vaught, Higgins
Ohio State: Jackson...
Purdue: Lewis, Mitchell, Stephens
IU: Cheaney, Graham, Henderson, Bailey, Evans...
It was tremendous.

When I was in college in the mid 80s Big Monday was the Daddy: Big East game, followed by Big 10 followed by Big West, if you stayed up late. But the Big East and Big 10 were both excellent. Seems like there was an especially memorable season in there around '87, but my memory's getting bad!

Reactions: Brockway
When I was in college in the mid 80s Big Monday was the Daddy: Big East game, followed by Big 10 followed by Big West, if you stayed up late. But the Big East and Big 10 were both excellent. Seems like there was an especially memorable season in there around '87, but my memory's getting bad!
yeah remember those great Monday's and I stayed up and watched the Big West games because I did not have class on Tuesday's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT