ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Hart

I have no idea if Hart is ready for OC. I do know he is a very good recruiter and relates well to players. I worry about losing coach Hart soon but think coach Allen needs to bring in a proven OC with the chance to have a great year in 2020.

I have no idea if Hart is ready for OC. I do know he is a very good recruiter and relates well to players. I worry about losing coach Hart soon but think coach Allen needs to bring in a proven OC with the chance to have a great year in 2020.
Same here.

Deboer was special. Was already a HC with a 62-3 record, turned around EMU, FSU and IU. Winner.

We need someone similar with a proven track record for OC, not another project like Wommack.

You guys are aware that's a purdue Troll hoping to get you to say something bad about Mike Hart so he'll get ticked off and head elsewhere don't you...?

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Mike Hart is a very good recruiter and great position coach.
Very much like what he has done with our RBs since he’s been here. IU has had a knack for actually signing a lot of guys that have developed into good running backs over the years.
That said, Hart has only been in the assistant ranks for 7 years.
He was playing in the NFL in 2011. He will be a cooordinator one day but not sure he’s ready to jump right into a coordinator role at a P5 school. I would think the natural path is going to a smaller FCS program or Group of 5 school and earning his stripes there as an OC before a coordinator role at a big conference.

If we are looking at one guy that really is ready to make a jump to an OC role that is the guy at Clemson, Brandon Streeter. Totally underrated and fits the IU culture. He is right on the cusp of the next jump. He may be a Clemson lifer though and makes $500,000 right now. Offer him $800,000 and see if he bites?

While we are talking replacements, who do you want as the new DC in Boilerland?
Freeman? Poindexter? Leavitt??

I think Poindexter gets a shot. Idk if the job is enough to pull Freeman away. I think he will stick in his very nice situation he has now. Until a possible HC job comes along. I wouldn’t mind Leavitt one bit.

This new OC hire will be just as important as the last one, and that hire got us to 8 wins. The new OC will have a lot of shiny toys to play with and a pretty good foundation at Oline (especially if Cronk returns). CTA needs to find another Deboer level OC. He did great last time, so I trust that he can do it again this time. Mike Hart is proving to be a good coach and an above average recruiter, but he's not ready to be an OC yet.

Promoting Scott Dolson to AD and promoting Mike Hart to OC would be the definitive IU moves. Going outside the box is usually smarter than digging around inside the box.
You hit the nail on the head! These would both be truly amateur hour moves. You don't just experiment in the bowl game and the IU AD is too big of a job to just hand to an in house backup.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see both of those things happen! Lol

Promoting Scott Dolson to AD and promoting Mike Hart to OC would be the definitive IU moves. Going outside the box is usually smarter than digging around inside the box.
There's merit to promoting from within, especially when it's done in a deliberative fashion (as opposed to what we saw with Mike Davis and Lynch). That said, inbreeding weakens the herd. You need to inject new blood on a regular basis to avoid decline.

AD should be easy. Hire Pat Kraft, You could still consider him an inside hire since he worked in the AD before and now has experience running it at Temple.

OC I am betting TA has a list of candidates he talked to last year. I doubt he hires from within.

I’d go Hart and I agree about bowl game. Let Mike call it and see how it goes. Take a chance on Mike. Go Hoosiers!
I think CTA has seen Mike Hart work (and work well, I would add!) and he knows if Mike Hart is ready to be an OC. While I would like to see IU hire someone with a track record, ultimately, I would trust his judgement, should he promote Coach Hart.

I would not be surprised to see Sheridan promoted. I don't think Allen wants to part ways with Deboer's offense as it's clearly worked. I am thinking he'd chance Sheridan and Hart running it rather than change again.

Reactions: Busch34 and 76-1
I would not be surprised to see Sheridan promoted. I don't think Allen wants to part ways with Deboer's offense as it's clearly worked. I am thinking he'd chance Sheridan and Hart running it rather than change again.

Won’t happen with Sheridan. He was reassigned a year ago.

Won’t happen with Sheridan. He was reassigned a year ago.

I wouldn't count on that... Even though Sheridan was titled the TE's coach this year he was the one who appeared to be talking directly to Deboer up in the booth and relaying what he heard to the QB's...

There is one major plus if TA promotes from within and that is it leaves the 10 slot open so he can still bring in another coach to shore up or enhance things as needed...

The big question is: Does TA take the big chance that the coach already on staff is ready...??

If the last two Offensive Coordinators say he is..., my guess is that Tom Allen takes their advice...

I'm not saying that's what's going to happen..., just that it's a possibility...

Based solely on TA's interview today, my "impression" though was that he was going to conduct a thorough search before making a decision... but that's just me inferring things from basically nothing more of substance than the tone of his voice...

Last edited:
Sheridan was not demoted. Deboer just wanted to coach the QB's. Sheridan now has experience with both the QB's and the routes and the tight end was a big part of the offense. He probably understands the offense better than anybody. If he's a good coach, he's probably the logical choice with a financial promotion for Hart. Solves the salary issue for those guys as they could split it.

Reactions: 76-1
Man, I sure hope we don’t promote from within at all for OC. Last time CTA went out and hired a top notch OC, paid him a big salary for an OC, and let him completely control the offense. This paid off enormously since we played bad D in our wins against pu, nu, Maryland, and even worse D in our 4 losses. Having a top notch OC, who prepared his offense to go out and execute every week, won us those games.

CTA needs to do the same thing that he did last year and do a national search. Then hire the best OC he can afford. I believe he knows that he needs to hire an OC that has a proven track record to insure that the potent weapons on IU’s offense next season get utilized to their full potential. It’s a critical hire and you don’t gamble on a 1st time OC. I think CTA knows that.

Man, I sure hope we don’t promote from within at all for OC. Last time CTA went out and hired a top notch OC, paid him a big salary for an OC, and let him completely control the offense. This paid off enormously since we played bad D in our wins against pu, nu, Maryland, and even worse D in our 4 losses. Having a top notch OC, who prepared his offense to go out and execute every week, won us those games.

CTA needs to do the same thing that he did last year and do a national search. Then hire the best OC he can afford. I believe he knows that he needs to hire an OC that has a proven track record to insure that the potent weapons on IU’s offense next season get utilized to their full potential. It’s a critical hire and you don’t gamble on a 1st time OC. I think CTA knows that.

We aren’t promoting a guy who has not had OC experience at some level, any level. That is a prerequisite for the the hire.
Bank on it. He’s not going to do it at this juncture. Put that thought out of your mind.

I would say Sheridan would be ok but not my choice. He is kind of a Mike Debord mind. Came with him from UT.

Hart's a great assistant but Grant Heard (who's been an offensive coordinator before at Lambuth in NAIA before moving up to major college FB and is our passing game coordinator) and Nick Sheridan (passing game coordinator/QBs coach previously) would seem to be better candidates internally.

Reactions: 76-1 and JWilk1234
I would say Sheridan would be ok but not my choice. He is kind of a Mike Debord mind. Came with him from UT.
I was no Debord fan, but his offenses were far from terrible. We had the second worst talent in the Big Ten and his offenses were close to middle of the pack. That's good work really. Deboer did great work. And Sheridan learned his bag of tricks. If they think he's a rising star I'd be ok with it as the system they have has been incredibly successful and you don't necessarily want to chuck out something that is working.

Reactions: 76-1
I was no Debord fan, but his offenses were far from terrible. We had the second worst talent in the Big Ten and his offenses were close to middle of the pack. That's good work really. Deboer did great work. And Sheridan learned his bag of tricks. If they think he's a rising star I'd be ok with it as the system they have has been incredibly successful and you don't necessarily want to chuck out something that is working.
I would agree. But the one area where in my mind DeBoer was most successful was in exploiting matchups and making in game adjustments. That is something DeBord did not seem to do too well. I hope whoever it is has learned those tricks!

Sheridan was not demoted. Deboer just wanted to coach the QB's. Sheridan now has experience with both the QB's and the routes and the tight end was a big part of the offense. He probably understands the offense better than anybody. If he's a good coach, he's probably the logical choice with a financial promotion for Hart. Solves the salary issue for those guys as they could split it.
I really would like a pay raise for Hart. He is a UM alum and would likely enjoy an opportunity there if offered. I hope we have him here a few more years , perhaps eventual OC

Debord's offenses weren't statistically terrible, but they were relatively ineffective compared to DeBoer's.

The areas of biggest difference were scoring offense (Debord in 2018 = 12, DeBoer in 2019 = 6), total offense (Debord in 2018 = 7, DeBoer in 2019 = 3) pass offense efficiency (Debord in 2018 = 9, DeBoer in 2019 = 4) and time of possession (Debord in 2018 = 11, DeBoer in 2019 = 2).

Debord's offense did a good job moving the ball between the 20's but not so much in the red zone; DeBoer's offense held on to the ball longer and scored a lot more points.

Last edited:
He better be interviewing soon,there will be a lot of assistants moving around between now and our bowl game.

He better be interviewing soon,there will be a lot of assistants moving around between now and our bowl game.
(likely) beginning with Mike Sanford and (possibly) with Jim Zebrowski and/or Andy Kotelnicki, all of whom have bowl games tomorrow.

Reactions: CC Mac
I don’t think you watched games too closely.
Ok. I’m interested in hearing from you on this. I respect your knowledge. Do you not think DeBoer game planned well? Did not call the games well? Did not make adjustments too well? I’m just a fan who played on an average HS team and I’d like the view of a real coach who can judge these things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT