ADVERTISEMENT

Mental disability is not a superpower

• Thread starter anon_6hv78pr714xta
  • Start date
A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

Here are deBoer's further thoughts on the matter that link into, I think, other areas of SJW thinking:

There are 17 theses here. Here is #17:

17. The collapse of the meaning of disability, driven by social media communities and the social climbers among them, represents the general drift of all culture in the digital era - excuse-making for narcissism and selfishness, a relentless focus on the interests of the individual above and beyond the interests of all, endlessly splitting society into chunks of the righteous minority and the stupid and undeserving majority, the gentrification of communicative spaces towards the interests of the most savvy and nakedly self-centered, the mandated bright-siding that insists that any condition the individual cannot change is therefore good, the rejection of the notion of human tragedy and the unchangeable brokenness of human life, and the injunction against ever suggesting that there are others who suffer more than you do and should not be included in your trite definitions of the shared condition.

This is the stuff of “marginalized” cultures, now. An affluent 17-year-old who has never been involuntarily committed, has never seriously physically harmed themselves or others, who has never had their shoelaces taken at the door of a mental hospital or been doubled over in stomach pain from meds, who knows nothing of the immense human destruction that can be found in any mental institution, taking to TikTok to make yet another list of the ways people with ADHD are better than those without and, in so doing, saying “this is it, look on me, mine is the face of mental illness, I am the face of disability.” That is our future.

DeBoer is not a right-wing reactionary or Republican agent: he's an avowed, old-school Marxist.

Reactions: Noodle and jet812

Here are deBoer's further thoughts on the matter that link into, I think, other areas of SJW thinking:

17. The collapse of the meaning of disability, driven by social media communities and the social climbers among them, represents the general drift of all culture in the digital era - excuse-making for narcissism and selfishness, a relentless focus on the interests of the individual above and beyond the interests of all, endlessly splitting society into chunks of the righteous minority and the stupid and undeserving majority, the gentrification of communicative spaces towards the interests of the most savvy and nakedly self-centered, the mandated bright-siding that insists that any condition the individual cannot change is therefore good, the rejection of the notion of human tragedy and the unchangeable brokenness of human life, and the injunction against ever suggesting that there are others who suffer more than you do and should not be included in your trite definitions of the shared condition.

This is the stuff of “marginalized” cultures, now. An affluent 17-year-old who has never been involuntarily committed, has never seriously physically harmed themselves or others, who has never had their shoelaces taken at the door of a mental hospital or been doubled over in stomach pain from meds, who knows nothing of the immense human destruction that can be found in any mental institution, taking to TikTok to make yet another list of the ways people with ADHD are better than those without and, in so doing, saying “this is it, look on me, mine is the face of mental illness, I am the face of disability.” That is our future.

DeBoer is not a right-wing reactionary or Republican agent: he's an avowed, old-school Marxist.
Females are XX. Males are XY. This is binary sex and gender. This is science. Denial of this not science. Yeah, there are outliers, there are XXX, XXY, XYY. These are rare. There are some rarer, X. But even XXX or XXY or XYY may not feel like they are in the wrong body. They just are not quite right.

So enter the woke social equity crowd. They believe and cause kids to believe XX and XY doesn't define you. Just cuz you have a penis, doesn't mean you are a boy. You might be XX but think you should be XY. That's not science. It's not even valid pseudo science. It's simply a mental health for which there is therapy. But, politics makes this mental health issue "normal" and requires not only moral support, but support with the force of law because it is the "civil rights issue of our time".

Females are XX. Males are XY. This is binary sex and gender. This is science. Denial of this not science. Yeah, there are outliers, there are XXX, XXY, XYY. These are rare. There are some rarer, X. But even XXX or XXY or XYY may not feel like they are in the wrong body. They just are not quite right.

So enter the woke social equity crowd. They believe and cause kids to believe XX and XY doesn't define you. Just cuz you have a penis, doesn't mean you are a boy. You might be XX but think you should be XY. That's not science. It's not even valid pseudo science. It's simply a mental health for which there is therapy. But, politics makes this mental health issue "normal" and requires not only moral support, but support with the force of law because it is the "civil rights issue of our time".
You can't admit there are outliers one sentence after declaring that denial of your blanket statement is not science. Either it's binary or it isn't (ironic, right?), and it's not. It's mostly binary, but not always. Outliers are rare - that's why they are called outliers - but they still exist.

You can't admit there are outliers one sentence after declaring that denial of your blanket statement is not science. Either it's binary or it isn't (ironic, right?), and it's not. It's mostly binary, but not always. Outliers are rare - that's why they are called outliers - but they still exist.

Don't argue for the pro-trans agenda dude, it's bullshit.

that's not what its about ...

Girls are takers, boys are givers. Girls suck d**k. Boys eat pu**y. Boys hunt. Girls cook. Boys mow yards. Girls do dishes. Boys wear pants. Only girls wear dresses. These are traditional gender concepts and have nothing to do with science.

They not changing sexes. they're changing clothes ..

These are man made cultural norms defining gender and sexuality and how they should behave. Everyone knows the sexes, it no great secret, nor is it profound in any way to state them, and it's not the confusion you mistakenly think they have about it that truly bothers your ilk. It's the boys sucking d**k and being the takers part...

Reactions: TMFT

Girls are takers, boys are givers. Girls suck d**k. Boys eat pu**y. Boys hunt. Girls cook. Boys mow yards. Girls do dishes. Boys wear pants. Only girls wear dresses. These are traditional gender concepts and have nothing to do with science.

These are man made cultural norms defining gender and sexuality and how they should behave. Everyone knows the sexes, it no great secret, nor is it profound in any way to state them, and it's not the confusion you mistakenly think they have about it that truly bothers your ilk. It's the boys sucking d**k and being the takers part...
Yep. He’s clearly conflating sex & gender. Our naughty bits are biological and science. What is “masculine” vs “feminine” is a social construct in which we all exist on a spectrum.

Outliers are biology. Outliers are not to be de.rtermined. Given that you have referred to sex as being assigned at birth I’m not taking you seriously.

Yep. He’s clearly conflating sex & gender. Our naughty bits are biological and science. What is “masculine” vs “feminine” is a social construct in which we all exist on a spectrum.

How much of it is environmental / social vs. hereditary? Because of hormones, etc. there are some things that boys/men or girls/women do that seem inherent.

Sex and gender are the sane. If adults want to pretend to be the opposite, or halfway, one third, or whatever, the opposite, that’s okay with me. But don’t foist that crap on kids. Kids have enough issues going through puberty without adults giving them gender affirming care or otherwise enabling emotionally destructive pretend games.

Sex and gender are the sane. If adults want to pretend to be the opposite, or halfway, one third, or whatever, the opposite, that’s okay with me. But don’t foist that crap on kids. Kids have enough issues going through puberty without adults giving them gender affirming care or otherwise enabling emotionally destructive pretend games.
Hogwash.

Why don't you dress a baby boy in a dress? Because it's not what you do with boys right? But that hasn't always been the case. Until the 20th century, it was norm. Nothing to do with biology. https://babyology.com.au/lifestyle/...e-boys-used-to-wear-dresses-and-nobody-cared/

Why is pink a girl color and blue a boy color? Is there anything inherent to those colors that are geared toward biological males vs females?

In your whole life have you known men who you perceive as more or less masculine? Are you the most masculine person you know? If you're not, then you're towards the center of the masculine/feminine scale because it's fluid and not an either/or situation. And if you're not the most masculine person you know, would you also agree that you know men less masculine then you? Assuming that it's like every other continuum ever, then there are people less masculine than that person, all the way down to a biological male that you would say is altogether feminine. Indeed, I'm sure you know women more masculine than some men you know and some more that are more feminine than some women you know.

Yeah. Some of us are captains and others are stokers. Ive seen some tandem teams where the females are captain. Some teams are same sex and not even gay. This is all personal preference and tradition and the other stuff you said. But sex is biology. Sex and gender are the same. One does not become the other by changing clothes or by make believe. Adults can do what they want. But to subject kids to adult gender bullshit is abuse. I heard one teacher say in public that half her kids identify as non-binary. If that is because of what the teacher has done, she belongs in jail.

And why is it that almost all the adults who push this crap are female?

Finally, I love to cook, and I am the captain. So what?

Hogwash.

Why don't you dress a baby boy in a dress? Because it's not what you do with boys right? But that hasn't always been the case. Until the 20th century, it was norm. Nothing to do with biology. https://babyology.com.au/lifestyle/...e-boys-used-to-wear-dresses-and-nobody-cared/

Why is pink a girl color and blue a boy color? Is there anything inherent to those colors that are geared toward biological males vs females?

In your whole life have you known men who you perceive as more or less masculine? Are you the most masculine person you know? If you're not, then you're towards the center of the masculine/feminine scale because it's fluid and not an either/or situation. And if you're not the most masculine person you know, would you also agree that you know men less masculine then you? Assuming that it's like every other continuum ever, then there are people less masculine than that person, all the way down to a biological male that you would say is altogether feminine. Indeed, I'm sure you know women more masculine than some men you know and some more that are more feminine than some women you know.
This is all nuts. Trans has taken the country by storm. Homosexuals are no longer a thing for most of us, so the public added the T in LBG to have something keep marching about. Biden said trans kids are the civil rights issue of our time. Biden’s education Secretary wants to condition school lunch money on all students being able to choose sex, bathrooms and locker rooms. The Democrats are giving sex pretend games the force and effect of law. That isn’t play acting.

Sex is biology. It is science. Somebody said once that we should follow the science.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Why does gender matter? I believe it to be a spectrum but, honestly, why does it matter?

Non-discrimination laws mean what they say. No discrimination based on sex, religion, creed, ethnicity, etc. Just remove gender. Because it doesn't matter.

Sex is biological and measurable even for those with hermaphroditic bodies. We don't discriminate on the basis of sex any longer (at least not legally).

Gender doesn't matter.....legally (ok maybe the bathroom argument).

You are obsessed with this. None of what you posted has anything to do with the OP. Zip. Zero. Nada.

deBoer is mostly (maybe entirely) spot-on. I especially like his first point:

Disability in general is not an identity. No specific disability constitutes an identity. It is unhelpful to look for meaning and identification in the random and unfortunate reality of disability.​
But perhaps my favorite is this:

The great majority of people react to the knowledge that someone has a disability generally or mental illness specifically not with stigma but with compassion and with a sincere desire to understand.​

You are obsessed with this. None of what you posted has anything to do with the OP. Zip. Zero. Nada.
You are obsessed with me.

From the op

represents the general drift of all culture in the digital era - excuse-making for narcissism and selfishness, a relentless focus on the interests of the individual above and beyond the interests of all, endlessly splitting society into chunks of the righteous minority and the stupid and undeserving majority, the gentrification of communicative spaces towards the interests of the most savvy and nakedly self-centered,​
A pretty clear description of the gender fluidity advocates. Yeah, I think we are talking about a mental disorder.

You are obsessed with me.

From the op

represents the general drift of all culture in the digital era - excuse-making for narcissism and selfishness, a relentless focus on the interests of the individual above and beyond the interests of all, endlessly splitting society into chunks of the righteous minority and the stupid and undeserving majority, the gentrification of communicative spaces towards the interests of the most savvy and nakedly self-centered,​
A pretty clear description of the gender fluidity advocates. Yeah, I think we are talking about a mental disorder.
Nahh. I pretty much ignore you. But go ahead and think otherwise if it makes you happy.

This is all nuts. Trans has taken the country by storm. Homosexuals are no longer a thing for most of us, so the public added the T in LBG to have something keep marching about. Biden said trans kids are the civil rights issue of our time. Biden’s education Secretary wants to condition school lunch money on all students being able to choose sex, bathrooms and locker rooms. The Democrats are giving sex pretend games the force and effect of law. That isn’t play acting.

Sex is biology. It is science. Somebody said once that we should follow the science.
I read something once that really struck a chord with me. It was something along the lines of how every generation has its social issues. Once they "fix" the issue they're dealing with, there is always a new generation who wants more. Since the older generation generally feels they "fixed" the issue, they tend to somewhat resent the new generation for trying to take more.

1860s- We ended slavery, what are you complaining about?
1910s- We gave women the right to vote, what are you complaining about?
1950s- We integrated schools, what are you complaining about?
1960s- CRA & VRA passed, what are you complaining about?
1970s- We made abortion legal, what are you complaining about?
2010s- Gay marriage is legal, what are you complaining about?
2020s- Most of us don't look down on homosexuals, what are you complaining about?

The added the T & Q to LGB (although as long as I've been I've always heard it include the T in LGBT, it was the Q that was added later), because they are a similarly marginalized community based on gender norms. The fight for the Ts & Qs because that's subjectively a further step in that direction compared to the general society. The Ts were never going to be accepted before the Ls, Bs, & Gs. It's just the next step.

Kids are more accepting of more diverse things because they've either been taught to not be so judgmental or they've been exposed to more people who aren't afraid of being who they are. Just as you're cool with any gay friends you have, I imagine you'd be cool with trans people if you actually met them and spent time with them. They're still just people.

CoH brings up a good question with the following,

Sex and gender are the same. One does not become the other by changing clothes or by make believe. Adults can do what they want. But to subject kids to adult gender bullshit is abuse.

The question being when and how do we bring up the LBGQT subject with youngsters.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
I read something once that really struck a chord with me. It was something along the lines of how every generation has its social issues. Once they "fix" the issue they're dealing with, there is always a new generation who wants more. Since the older generation generally feels they "fixed" the issue, they tend to somewhat resent the new generation for trying to take more.

1860s- We ended slavery, what are you complaining about?
1910s- We gave women the right to vote, what are you complaining about?
1950s- We integrated schools, what are you complaining about?
1960s- CRA & VRA passed, what are you complaining about?
1970s- We made abortion legal, what are you complaining about?
2010s- Gay marriage is legal, what are you complaining about?
2020s- Most of us don't look down on homosexuals, what are you complaining about?

The added the T & Q to LGB (although as long as I've been I've always heard it include the T in LGBT, it was the Q that was added later), because they are a similarly marginalized community based on gender norms. The fight for the Ts & Qs because that's subjectively a further step in that direction compared to the general society. The Ts were never going to be accepted before the Ls, Bs, & Gs. It's just the next step.

Kids are more accepting of more diverse things because they've either been taught to not be so judgmental or they've been exposed to more people who aren't afraid of being who they are. Just as you're cool with any gay friends you have, I imagine you'd be cool with trans people if you actually met them and spent time with them. They're still just people.
I agree with a lot of this. At various points in my life, Ive been involved in civil rights groups seeking to effect change. Some additions/corollaries:

1. The new fixers have an incentive to downplay just how much progress has been made to date, minimizing the hard and brave work of people in the past who were usually doing much harder work and risking far more.

2. Sometimes the new fixers are focusing on a relatively minor issue and are bringing too much heat to the issue because they are psychologically motivated to want to be a hero in a new, “important” movement.

3. Those who want to change society always understand that the long game involves an inculcation of certain values in children. That’s not some paranoid conspiracy theory, it’s just clearly true.

My kids have learned things differently than I did and as a result they are much more open to accepting people of differing gender IDs and sexuality than I was at their age. I’m happy about that.

But I always keep an eye on underlying ideology and philosophy and try to ensure they aren’t also being swayed in a more nakedly political direction. I’m worried about illiberalism and anti-free inquiry dogma seeping into education at all levels.

CoH brings up a good question with the following,

Sex and gender are the same. One does not become the other by changing clothes or by make believe. Adults can do what they want. But to subject kids to adult gender bullshit is abuse.

The question being when and how do we bring up the LBGQT subject with youngsters.
It's a great question.

When I was brought up, there was a clear dichotomy between "girl stuff" & "boy stuff," implicitly gendering people with what is acceptable.

When I'd get my kids a Happy Meal and the worker would ask girl or boy toy, I said I didn't care. Because I didn't care and if my daughter wanted a truck instead of a doll, good for her. And vice versa for my son.

I don't know if people will eventually (I know some already do) raise their kids without gendering them at all, like not treating them as masculine or feminine. Seems tough to do to me, but that's just me.

I personally think we bring up LGBTQ issues with kids by not bringing it up to them. If they don't know someone is "different" they don't treat them differently. And when the time comes that they ask about why Johnny has two dads, we tell them that Johnny's dads love each other and wanted to get married like your mom & I did. Similarly, if my son tells me he has a crush on the neighborhood boy, I roll with it. Either he's too young to really have a crush or he's an appropriate age and he's that direction on the sexuality spectrum. Either way I love him all the same.

It's a great question.

When I was brought up, there was a clear dichotomy between "girl stuff" & "boy stuff," implicitly gendering people with what is acceptable.

When I'd get my kids a Happy Meal and the worker would ask girl or boy toy, I said I didn't care. Because I didn't care and if my daughter wanted a truck instead of a doll, good for her. And vice versa for my son.

I don't know if people will eventually (I know some already do) raise their kids without gendering them at all, like not treating them as masculine or feminine. Seems tough to do to me, but that's just me.

I personally think we bring up LGBTQ issues with kids by not bringing it up to them. If they don't know someone is "different" they don't treat them differently. And when the time comes that they ask about why Johnny has two dads, we tell them that Johnny's dads love each other and wanted to get married like your mom & I did. Similarly, if my son tells me he has a crush on the neighborhood boy, I roll with it. Either he's too young to really have a crush or he's an appropriate age and he's that direction on the sexuality spectrum. Either way I love him all the same.
My son loved any toy with wheels almost since he could hold a toy. He had different kinds of toys including “dolls” which were actually Star Wars figures. Always liked the wheels. As an adult, he has done the cubical thing and hated it. Now his office is an F450 doing what many would consider manly work. He was born this way.

I imagine you'd be cool with trans people if you actually met them and spent time with them. They're still just people.
If you think I’m not cool with trans people, you’d be wrong. Yeah, I admit to being judgmental about people but I try to make my judgements about behaviors. I’m not impressed by self-referential celebrations. But marv raises an interesting point about how St Patrick’s day is different. i guess it’s the beer.

We should accept & treat with dignity & equality people with mental disorders like gender dysphasia, or picas, or other non-criminal issues. It should not, however, be celebrated, encouraged, taught, or viewed as normal from a scientific point of view. When my boy asks about the two dads scenario, I’ll tell him that the child had a mother as all children do but for whatever reason she isn’t able to be in his life so these two men are parenting him. I want him to understand early in life that biologically, scientifically, there is only one way he can father a child of his own as nature intended.

Not binary but triadic: male, female, mutated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT