ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Stadium

Jack and Diane is not a happy song. It is hilarious to me that you are constantly saying the admin doesn't know what they are doing, and then you suggest that we get the crowd pumped by singing a song that goes:

Oh yeah, life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

What a banger.

We will rock you is fine. Not sure why they scrapped don't stop believin'. Jump Around is not acceptable. If they must use a jumping song, they should use Kris Kross, Van Halen, or both.
Here are three possibilities off the top of my head.
1. "Let The Good Times Roll" Certainly appropriate for this Year.
2. 'Great Balls Of Fire" A toe tapper that should get people involved
3, "Life In The Fast Lane" A great refrain with reference to speed. Just don't get too involved in some of the underlying lyrics that point to the dark side of life.

Reactions: vesuvius13
They’re definitely figuring things out as they go.

It took them til the 4th home game to get the Thunderstruck entrance down.

They’re still trying to figure out their big gimmick between the 3rd & 4th. They tried “Jump Around” yesterday. It did NOT get over with the crowd. They tested “Livin on a Prayer” which didn’t get too big of a reaction. The biggest reaction so far has been “We Will Rock You,” which is passe, but I guess we get what we get.

it’s slow, but what about “Turn the Page?” Probably Metallica version. Seems fairly appropriate
Jump Around is so lame. It's Wisconsin's thing - let them do it.

We got there early and bought three waters, a hotdog, popcorn and a bag of peanuts. We drank the water by halftime and wanted more water but the lines sucked and I'm not a person to wait in a line. It was parchy the second half for my bunch...

Another thing they should consider is putting porta pots throughout the stadium. Waiting in line 20 minutes to pee in a trough sucks...
If they want a way to spend all that Big Ten money, they should build a ring of bathrooms on the outside of the concourses. Make use of the space they have. But..... NOOOOOOOOooooooooo

The right 4th quarter song/gimmick is quite the mystery.
How about "Shout" by the Isley Brothers. And do more the "Animal House" Movie version. Start out at normal sound level, bring it up a bit. take it all the way down to a whisper, and bring it back up gradually and get it to the point of blowing the roof off (Well, if the Stadium had a roof). It is the type of song that will get people involved.

How about "Shout" by the Isley Brothers. And do more the "Animal House" Movie version. Start out at normal sound level, bring it up a bit. take it all the way down to a whisper, and bring it back up gradually and get it to the point of blowing the roof off (Well, if the Stadium had a roof). It is the type of song that will get people involved.
Absolutely not. They do it at Ross Ade

Here are three possibilities off the top of my head.
1. "Let The Good Times Roll" Certainly appropriate for this Year.
2. 'Great Balls Of Fire" A toe tapper that should get people involved
3, "Life In The Fast Lane" A great refrain with reference to speed. Just don't get too involved in some of the underlying lyrics that point to the dark side of life.
These are all trash.

Our thing could be stealing everybody else’s stuff. We could do Enter Sandman as an intro and jump around before the 4th and whatever else we can steal.
I had actually considered that the ultimate dick move would be to steal the Away team's gimmick each game. Especially when you're winning, that's pretty brutal.

They did Jump Around this Saturday. I cannot properly explain how flat it fell. Students weren't into, I didn't notice anyone in the stands otherwise, not even any players. And if there were ever a time for the place to go nuts with something, that would've been it in the midst of that nationally televised beatdown.

I had actually considered that the ultimate dick move would be to steal the Away team's gimmick each game. Especially when you're winning, that's pretty brutal.

They did Jump Around this Saturday. I cannot properly explain how flat it fell. Students weren't into, I didn't notice anyone in the stands otherwise, not even any players. And if there were ever a time for the place to go nuts with something, that would've been it in the midst of that nationally televised beatdown.
I saw a few people dancing to it, but yeah it failed miserably. I didn't get into it because I know it's Wisconsin's thing.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
UCLA and Cal have the same fight song. Didn’t realize that till I saw them play in the Rose Bowl. It was pretty weird.

Oregon already does it.

Animal House filmed in Eugene.

Just because someone else does it already shouldn't preclude our using something the the fans would enjoy...

If that's the standard Thunderstruck" will have to be dumped and we'll have to create a team of songwriters to create all original music because we'll be pretty limited otherwise...

When I see critiques of the concourses or bathroom wait lines, I wonder if the complainers have ever been to any other older stadium ever? I don't think I've ever been to a sold out stadium, old or new, without those issues. We won't see improvements on any of that without a massive renovation to the stadium - certainly nothing that could be solved in the off-season.

I haven't been to a game at MS in a couple years as I live a flight away, but I was surprised the last time I went to a game that they stopped doing flags/William Tell between the 3rd and 4th. I don't think it answers the stadium song question, but I did think it was a great 3rd to 4th quarter transition that the whole stadium participated in. From this thread, it sounds like they've continued to shun that tradition, unfortunately. I have to say, I don't think I've seen a good stadium song suggestion in this thread. Most feel like suggestions from Grandpa Hoosier.

From watching on TV, I have been really disappointed in the decision to display the most bare bones version of MS. All the on field wall graphics are gone, and all the exterior banners are gone. The exterior banners did need replaced as they had faded to pink, but we should be able to put fresh graphics up everywhere each year. Really a tiny expense for a great visual impact. MS looks so institutional without it. When other schools have gone all out on the in stadium production, with light shows and dramatic presentations, it's disappointing that IU is still showing up like IU, especially considering the great year the team is having. Our production level hasn't changed since the early aughts.

I'll never let a stadium discussion pass without a critique of our matchbox press box. I know they surveyed fans this year about additional seating options. Now is the time to move. IUFB has not had this kind of momentum in our lifetimes. Hope the AD seizes it and moves IU into the current century. All around, gotta do better.

Maybe we should pay someone to do a football version of This is Indiana. Those kids did pretty well and that song is still played at celebrations and weddings all the time.
Played at my daughter's wedding in 2015 and most recently at my nephew's this year.

Pretty sure the lyrics could be adapted. It really is a great tune.

But don't take out my favorite lyrics:

Unlike you other schools, we got history
Kinda like your girl does when she visits uh, me

Last edited:
When I see critiques of the concourses or bathroom wait lines, I wonder if the complainers have ever been to any other older stadium ever? I don't think I've ever been to a sold out stadium, old or new, without those issues. We won't see improvements on any of that without a massive renovation to the stadium - certainly nothing that could be solved in the off-season.

I haven't been to a game at MS in a couple years as I live a flight away, but I was surprised the last time I went to a game that they stopped doing flags/William Tell between the 3rd and 4th. I don't think it answers the stadium song question, but I did think it was a great 3rd to 4th quarter transition that the whole stadium participated in. From this thread, it sounds like they've continued to shun that tradition, unfortunately. I have to say, I don't think I've seen a good stadium song suggestion in this thread. Most feel like suggestions from Grandpa Hoosier.

From watching on TV, I have been really disappointed in the decision to display the most bare bones version of MS. All the on field wall graphics are gone, and all the exterior banners are gone. The exterior banners did need replaced as they had faded to pink, but we should be able to put fresh graphics up everywhere each year. Really a tiny expense for a great visual impact. MS looks so institutional without it. When other schools have gone all out on the in stadium production, with light shows and dramatic presentations, it's disappointing that IU is still showing up like IU, especially considering the great year the team is having. Our production level hasn't changed since the early aughts.

I'll never let a stadium discussion pass without a critique of our matchbox press box. I know they surveyed fans this year about additional seating options. Now is the time to move. IUFB has not had this kind of momentum in our lifetimes. Hope the AD seizes it and moves IU into the current century. All around, gotta do better.
Who you calling grandpa? Lol

You make a lot of good points. I've been to hundreds of college football games and the best way to avoid a bathroom line is to be quick and go right as your team is about to punt the ball. You will most certainly be back in your seat by the time they get the ball back assuming you are able bodied.

One short-term option would be to haul in some port-o-potties. Not ideal, but Northwestern had some really nice ones set up in their temporary stadium. Very clean too.

As far as the other cosmetic issues, I absolutely agree, they should be refreshed annually. That is a small expense relatively speaking. Marketing is huge, we are on huge stage and this is a great opportunity to promote the program. Don't f it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
Maybe we should pay someone to do a football version of This is Indiana. Those kids did pretty well and that song is still played at celebrations and weddings all the time.
They've got to playing it the football games too. I'm not a fan, but to each his own.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT