ADVERTISEMENT

Mayberry Fred

Let me get this straight...you think that there is a group of people that hates Indiana football so much that they sit around reading every silly post on this message board and coming up with trolling retorts to get us riled up and hurt our feelings? Dear Lord, if only OUR fans cared that much. We can't even show up to six flipping games, during the best weather we have all year, to watch us play in the most talented division in all of college football.

wake up.

there are trolls on every school's board. every political forum, every business/product review forum, anything competitive where valuation matters.

businesses hire companies who specialize in dealing with this, just to manage this problem.

on schools' boards with a lot of fans posting, the trolls don't stand out so much.

on boards with less actual fans of the school posting, the trolls can more easily dominate.

doesn't mean every criticism of the program is from a troll.

but don't just assume that "World's Biggest IU Fan" is actually an IU fan, just because of the user name.

Reactions: 76-1
Not having names on the back of the jersey has really hurt Alabama, Notre Dame and PSU. Our facilities are just fine but some just won't ever be happy with Glass no matter what he does. He could spend more money on football than any other team in the big ten and they would still find something to find wrong. Facilities are not the reason we don't get recruits it is because we have no history in football. We need to fill the stadium and show recruits that the fans care about football but when the stadium is half empty it does not show that. It is funny that some say the athletic office does not care about football but to me the fans don't care about the program.
Are you now comparing Indiana football with Alabama, Notre Dame and Penn State? The only school to never put names on jerseys is USC. If they are getting rid of names, get rid of all the different uniforms and helmets. Also, perhaps it is time to actually use the school colors for the uniform - and the stadium - rather than red and white. I mean if we are going to be purists......

I wonder if the kids and the parents really care about things like names on the jersey do they care how the fans talk about their programs. I think some recruits and their family probably monitor message boards and see what fans think of their programs when considering which program to go to. I have heard Paul Biancardi the recruiting expert for ESPN say that he know that recruits do monitor message boards. Maybe this is why we don't get recruits because most people on these boards are negative about our football program.

Mmmm, more like 4, plus one who probably is an IU fan at heart but just can't bring himself to say anything positive...
I have no idea if you are referring to me or not, but I will match my “ IU fandom” to anyone who wants to compare, any day. Being a decades long fan and having a family that was involved with the program, doesn’t require me to say positive things when I think something isn’t right. That said, it would be easy for me to turn it around on all the people here (seemingly a majority) who think “all is well” with Indiana University’s commitment fo football, and question their allegiance. If you don’t want better from IU football than what we have been getting, then I could question whether those folks have IU footballs best interest ar heart.
I haven’t done that because I happen to believe that the problems don’t rest with those that care enough to be here in the first place. I believe we ALL want what is best for IU football, and reasonable people (adults) can disagree on what the best path is to get there. I , and some others, happen to believe we (IU) needs to go above and beyond for football due to years of previous neglect. The things that have been added are GREAT, let me repeat that, the things that have been added are GREAT.
No one is debating that or dissing what we have and are slated to get, we are miles ahead of where we were not too long ago. The problem some of us have is that feedback from recruits seem to show it still isn’t where it needs to be, especially if we want to go above and beyond. You don’t have to believe me (or others) who speak of the feedback, just as many didn’t believe me when I hinted to you Dawkins was leaving, but it is true.
Personally, I really like Tom Allen and I want very much for him to succeed, which is why I want him to have every instrument in the toolbox ,along with some that others don’t have yet. Indiana football comes with some inherent disadvantages, many self inflicted over the years, it takes commitment above and beyond to help fix those things.
As I said yesterday, I believe FG wants to win just not sure if he understands what it takes , and I’m also not sure exactly how much his hands are being tied from above. I know that McRobbie is a major problem, as he truly doesn’t care about a commitment to football.
Anyway, if all that makes those of us that see it differently “bad” guys or “PU” fans, so be it, just rest assured , nothing could be further from the truth.
Go Hoosiers, beat FIU !

Last edited:
I have no idea if you are referring to me or not, but I will match my “ IU fandom” to anyone who wants to compare, any day. Being a decades long fan and having a family that was involved with the program, doesn’t require me to say positive things when I think something isn’t right. That said, it would be easy for me to turn it around on all the people here (seemingly a majority) who think “all is well” with Indiana University’s commitment fo football, and question their allegiance. If you don’t want better from IU football than what we have been getting, then I could question whether those folks have IU footballs best interest ar heart.
I haven’t done that because I happen to believe that the problems don’t rest with those that care enough to be here in the first place. I believe we ALL want was is best for IU football, and reasonable people (adults) can disagree on what the best path is to get there. I , and some others, happen to believe we (IU) needs to go above and beyond for football due to years of previous neglect. The things that have been added are GREAT, let me repeat that, the things that have been added are GREAT.
No one is debating that or dissing what we have and are slated to get, we are miles ahead of where we were not too long ago. The problem some of us have is that feedback from recruits seem to show it still isn’t where it needs to be, especially if we want to go above and beyond. You don’t have to believe me (or others) who speak of the feedback, just as many didn’t believe me when I hinted to you Dawkins was leaving, but it is true.
Personally, I really like Tom Allen and I want very much for him to succeed, which is why I want him to have every instrument in the toolbox ,along with some that others don’t have yet. Indiana football comes with some inherent disadvantages, many self inflicted over the years, it takes commitment above and beyond to help fix those things.
As I said yesterday, I believe FG wants to win just not sure if he understands what it takes , and I’m also not sure exactly how much his hands are being tied from above. I know that McRobbie is a major problem, as he truly doesn’t care about a commitment to football.
Anyway, if all that makes those of us that see it differently “bad” guys or “PU” fans, so be it, just rest assured , nothing could be further from the truth.
Go Hoosiers, beat FIU !

Actually you never crossed my mind. I've always (as far as I can remember [Ive lost track of who beat me down on my "straighten the logo stance" ;)]...) enjoyed reading your posts.

There are three guys that I'm not completely certain aren't the same guy and one other that I'm certain is a pu fan along with another guy who is an IU fan but has evidently had his job, wife, and girlfriend all stolen from him by Fred Glass...

You weren't on my personal list. The ones that are on my list I usually don't bother to debate any more (just clogs up the board) I've just put them on Ignore. They're happy and I'm happy...

Nothing was aimed at you. You are still on my "worth reading" list. That and $2 will get you a cup of coffee (be sure to mention 76-1 [wont get you anything but an odd look most places but who knows you might trip over a hardcore Indiana Football Fan and get a free cookie].:D

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Like who because none of those big name coaches would ever come to IU to coach
Can't get the big names if you don't even try, or are willing to shell out the big bucks necessary to do so. That's the problem. I think IU can and will some day. It will take a different AD for sure.

Can't get the big names if you don't even try, or are willing to shell out the big bucks necessary to do so. That's the problem. I think IU can and will some day. It will take a different AD for sure.

Define “big names.”
Is it the flavor of the month or what are your criteria?

Define “big names.”
Is it the flavor of the month or what are your criteria?
1. Someone with previous head coaching experience
2. Someone with a winning pedigree
3. Someone with past success and ability to get to, and win bowl games
4. Someone who can win in any conference
5. Someone who knows recruiting and understands all phases of the game

Reactions: Larryismyname

So, Pat Fitzgerald, Barry Alvarez, Kirk Ferentz, Joe Morehead, Jeremy Pruitt, Matt Luke, on and on....
Would not have been considered under your criteria. These are guys that were all hired coming out of assistant ranks.

There's an awful lot of subjectivity in some of those criteria. And I have no clue what "4" means. How can that determination be made prospectively? There have been more than a few successful head coaches plucked from the mid-major ranks who have been a bust at the P5 level.

I'm thinking that Gerry DiNardo fit your criteria in 2002. That didn't work out too well, though.

It's all largely a crapshoot.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
There's an awful lot of subjectivity in some of those criteria. And I have no clue what "4" means. How can that determination be made prospectively? There have been more than a few successful head coaches plucked from the mid-major ranks who have been a bust at the P5 level.

I'm thinking that Gerry DiNardo fit your criteria in 2002. That didn't work out too well, though.

Several years back Pu hired Fred Akers how did that work out

So, Pat Fitzgerald, Barry Alvarez, Kirk Ferentz, Joe Morehead, Jeremy Pruitt, Matt Luke, on and on....
Would not have been considered under your criteria. These are guys that were all hired coming out of assistant ranks.
Each hired by football men in consultation with other football men. Fred Glass, for all his talents, wasn’t brought to IU with any background in hiring and managing coaches, and his inexperience has been evident on several occasions.

Exactly.

Each hired by football men in consultation with other football men. Fred Glass, for all his talents, wasn’t brought to IU with any background in hiring and managing coaches, and his inexperience has been evident on several occasions.

There are several “football men” who have made horrible coaching hires too. Goes both ways. You were a big Wilson supporter and Fred made that hire. He hired Archie. He likely erred in extending Crean but that didn’t look terrible at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: 76-1
There are several “football men” who have made horrible coaching hires too. Goes both ways. You were a big Wilson supporter and Fred made that hire. He hired Archie. He likely erred in extending Crean but that didn’t look terrible at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.
I was far from a big Wilson supporter, either when he was hired or during his tenure. There was a reason that a highly regarded offensive coordinator never got a head coaching sniff until IU came along. Nonetheless, Glass hired him and then mismanaged the personal issues from the get go, which culminated in an extension, a huge raise, and a shove out the door, all in less than a year. Not exactly a feather in Glass’ cap.

Football guys don’t always get this stuff right, either, but their backgrounds likely lead to far better choices than do those who come into the job with zero experience, as did Fred. In fairness to him, he was hired primarily to manage the finances, compliance and capital projects segments of the job, with coaching hires and management a clear secondary consideration.

It looked terrible to a few of us. The guy finishes dead last in the Big Ten his 3rd season then has one decent S16 run and we give him a 10 year contract with a ridiculous buyout? He should have been fired the year before. That mistake is unforgivable. And it has a chance of destroying our program for decades.

It looked terrible to a few of us. The guy finishes dead last in the Big Ten his 3rd season then has one decent S16 run and we give him a 10 year contract with a ridiculous buyout? He should have been fired the year before. That mistake is unforgivable. And it has a chance of destroying our program for decades.

Dude - they said the fallout from the Kelvin Sampson debacle would “destroy our program for decades” as well. Even as crappy as Crean was, he managed to win 2 outright Big Titles in the aftermath of all of that. There was a bit of a leash there with Crean early in his tenure considering he was rebuilding from 2 returning scrubs. You do get that, right? Again, hindsight is 20/20. He had a good recruiting class coming in and it’s easy for you to say: “Fire him.”
No AD in America would have done that considering the circumstances. You are high as a kite. Crean was getting commitments. Sure, it masked his shitty coaching at the time but don’t sit here and pretend to be Nostradamus on all these decisions.

Was Archie a bad hire?
He stunk up the joint last year. You want to fire him now too?

Dude - they said the fallout from the Kelvin Sampson debacle would “destroy our program for decades” as well. Even as crappy as Crean was, he managed to win 2 outright Big Titles in the aftermath of all of that. There was a bit of a leash there with Crean early in his tenure considering he was rebuilding from 2 returning scrubs. You do get that, right? Again, hindsight is 20/20. He had a good recruiting class coming in and it’s easy for you to say: “Fire him.”
No AD in America would have done that considering the circumstances. You are high as a kite. Crean was getting commitments. Sure, it masked his shitty coaching at the time but don’t sit here and pretend to be Nostradamus on all these decisions.

Was Archie a bad hire?
He stunk up the joint last year. You want to fire him now too?
It wasn’t just his 1st or 2nd years. It was DEAD LAST in year 3. And you must be new if you don’t remember myself and a handful of others pleading for him to get fired then so we could get Stevens. It really wasn’t that hard to see for anyone familiar with basketball. It doesn’t take 5 years for an elite coach to turn around a program like IU.

And Crean did way more damage than Sampson. 9 years is an eternity in college sports. We lost fans who will never come back. We have an entire generation of fans who only know Tom Crean’s IU. Mediocrity for a decade is a lot tougher to overcome than a recruiting scandal. Recruits don’t care about scandals. They do about our average program for a decade and how bad Crean made us look to outsiders.

I don’t know yet on Archie. I’m giving him another year or two to prove himself. But no I’m not one of those fans who thinks he walks on water just because he’s IU’s coach. If he doesn’t start producing by year 3 then yes I’ll want him fired.

Reactions: IUgradman
It wasn’t just his 1st or 2nd years. It was DEAD LAST in year 3. And you must be new if you don’t remember myself and a handful of others pleading for him to get fired then so we could get Stevens. It really wasn’t that hard to see for anyone familiar with basketball. It doesn’t take 5 years for an elite coach to turn around a program like IU.

And Crean did way more damage than Sampson. 9 years is an eternity in college sports. We lost fans who will never come back. We have an entire generation of fans who only know Tom Crean’s IU. Mediocrity for a decade is a lot tougher to overcome than a recruiting scandal. Recruits don’t care about scandals. They do about our average program for a decade and how bad Crean made us look to outsiders.

I don’t know yet on Archie. I’m giving him another year or two to prove himself. But no I’m not one of those fans who thinks he walks on water just because he’s IU’s coach. If he doesn’t start producing by year 3 then yes I’ll want him fired.

Why wait to year 3? He had returning scholarship players last year. Be bold and go out and demand Brad Stevens now.

No, they sure wouldn't have been considered big names. A big name hire usually means someone who has had experience as head coach elsewhere and has been successful to a degree, giving credence to their reputation as a "big name". One has to establish themself before qualifying as such. Surely you can comprehend this. Any assistants getting their first crack as head coach have to earn and prove it on field before getting any notoriety.

#4 was meant to be taken as, can be successful in most, if not all conferences, regardless of the competition. Kiffin's name come to mind. I know you and some others despise him for whatever reasons, but I think he'd be a great hire if IU ever decided to go in that direction. As far as the DiNardo hire, I never cared for him before or after he was named coach.

No, they sure wouldn't have been considered big names. A big name hire usually means someone who has had experience as head coach elsewhere and has been successful to a degree, giving credence to their reputation as a "big name". One has to establish themself before qualifying as such. Surely you can comprehend this. Any assistants getting their first crack as head coach have to earn and prove it on field before getting any notoriety.

#4 was meant to be taken as, can be successful in most, if not all conferences, regardless of the competition. Kiffin's name come to mind. I know you and some others despise him for whatever reasons, but I think he'd be a great hire if IU ever decided to go in that direction. As far as the DiNardo hire, I never cared for him before or after he was named coach.
Not sure where Kiffin was successful before, the AD met him at the airport and fired him and would not let him on team flight. Fired by the Raiders. Fired by Alabama. He left Tennessee for USC leaving them high and dry.

Not sure where Kiffin was successful before, the AD met him at the airport and fired him and would not let him on team flight. Fired by the Raiders. Fired by Alabama. He left Tennessee for USC leaving them high and dry.
If finishing above .500 every season in the NCAA like Kiffin has, isn't considered successful, then I don't know what is. You do know he was sabotaged by Al Davis, the worst owner in the NFL at the time, right? And Kiffin's head coaching days at USC were clouded by the sanctions left over from Pete Carroll? The Alabama situation isn't exactly what you think either. Kiffin had already accepted the FAU job. One more thing, his FAU team destroyed FIU last year and won their conference by going undefeated. Dislike him all you want, he is considered a big name and would be an upgrade for IU if ever given the chance.

As all should know, I am no TC fan, but had Glass dumped him after year three the criticism would have been vicious from all sides. Yes, we all would have loved to have taken Stevens when he was available and interested but the timing was awful.

Glass' biggest mistake was the long extension with the buyout...no argument. Opinions are everywhere, hell, Dakich says TC should not have been fired when he was.

If finishing above .500 every season in the NCAA like Kiffin has, isn't considered successful, then I don't know what is. You do know he was sabotaged by Al Davis, the worst owner in the NFL at the time, right? And Kiffin's head coaching days at USC were clouded by the sanctions left over from Pete Carroll? The Alabama situation isn't exactly what you think either. Kiffin had already accepted the FAU job. One more thing, his FAU team destroyed FIU last year and won their conference by going undefeated. Dislike him all you want, he is considered a big name and would be an upgrade for IU if ever given the chance.

So given what you know about both men and obviously thinking about the future, would you swap TA for LK today?

I had forgotten about that. What a 24 karat disaster that was. I knew a gal who was an "Akers Angel"...that program would be a serious problem these days.

TIL Jeff George went to Purdue... He then transferred to IL when Akers was hired. Never knew that.

So given what you know about both men and obviously thinking about the future, would you swap TA for LK today?
If you were to ask this several months before the season started it would be a "hell yes". But the timing of your question of trading coaches on game day is unrealistic.

LK would provide a higher ceiling and a better chance of contending in the East. TA seems more like a 5-7 win type of coach. I'd much rather take a risk for the bigger reward. I don't dislike TA at all, just would rather see him as our DC than HC.

If you were to ask this several months before the season started it would be a "hell yes". But the timing of your question of trading coaches on game day is unrealistic.

LK would provide a higher ceiling and a better chance of contending in the East. TA seems more like a 5-7 win type of coach. I'd much rather take a risk for the bigger reward. I don't dislike TA at all, just would rather see him as our DC than HC.

Interesting

How did FAI do today?

How did FAI do today?

You'll probably have to wait for a response from one of his other two handles (he's having trouble keeping them straight tonight)...

Last I checked FAU's Fighting Kiffens were down 77-14 but I didn't get the final... Did LK find a way to mount a comeback?;)

Think I'm mixing up the "The" O$U blowout with the "simply" OU blowout (although in that one their opponent actually attempted to put up a fight...

I think Oklahoma was up by at least 7 TD's last I checked.

Nice game Lane... (glad he didn't end up here).

Last edited:

No Briles calling O today and no offense. Plus he brings in questionable kids. He will bolt for first open job in California to be near kids.

You'll probably have to wait for a response from one of his other two handles (he's having trouble keeping them straight tonight)...

Last I checked FAU's Fighting Kiffens were down 77-14 but I didn't get the final... Did LK find a way to mount a comeback?;)
After your last check, OU had two touchdowns deducted from their score.

Reactions: Upset Alert
How did FAI do today?
Not sure who FAI is, but if you meant FAU, I'm sure you already know.
No Briles calling O today and no offense. Plus he brings in questionable kids. He will bolt for first open job in California to be near kids.
Define questionable. Then list who doesn't bring in those types.

He'll definitely leave at some point. To a school that takes football seriously, but I wouldn't limit it to a California destination.

Think I'm mixing up the "The" O$U blowout with the "simply" OU blowout (although in that one their opponent actually attempted to put up a fight...

Other handles? Who? You do know the biggest offenders are the ones who hide their online status such as yourself.

I do admit that I liked Kiffin’s post game presser. He said : “Did you guys like that exhibition game? That didn’t count, did it?”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT