ADVERTISEMENT

Mayberry Fred

No last names on jerseys. No beer sold in stadium. Outdated Adidas gear.

Does he let Tom Allen have a bullet for his pocket.
I know you like to be an internet shock jock...but there won't be names on the backs of jerseys, and I seriously doubt that has any impact on recruiting.

And since IU is "dry campus" I he does not have control over beer sales at the stadium. Barney Fife agrees with the previous statement.

Last edited:
It’s ridiculous. Not only are we standing still while our competition blows by us, we might actually be going backwards.

Why can’t we just get with the times? This whole living in history thing hasn’t worked. And instead of adapting Glass thinks he’ll solve the problem by doubling down on what got us here. It’s truly baffling.

It’s ridiculous. Not only are we standing still while our competition blows by us, we might actually be going backwards.

Why can’t we just get with the times? This whole living in history thing hasn’t worked. And instead of adapting Glass thinks he’ll solve the problem by doubling down on what got us here. It’s truly baffling.

This was all I was trying to say. IU is worried more about history than sex appeal. And that's what brings the winning. Spice it up.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It’s never going to change. IU refuses to do what other schools do in order to win. I’ve never seen a school inflict more self damage than IU. It is truly astounding.

It’s never going to change. IU refuses to do what other schools do in order to win. We aren’t trailblazers, we’re the idiot sitting in the corner talking to themselves and being laughed at by the big boys.
Like what, because it seems to me that we have done about everything that we could to improve the facilities. I get it that some will find the negative in everything and that is your right to have that opinion. Like others will see a positive in things that others don't and that is alright as well because we are all different. What I don't think is alright is when people who don't agree with you then it becomes personal and people think those others are wrong or stupid. We all want to win and that is everyone's goal but some don't care how you get there.

Lack of names on jerseys = other programs blowing us by? You are just looking for something to complain about.

I’m indifferent to having names on jerseys, but this is stemming from having a consistent branding across sports,which I am fine with

Lack of names on jerseys = other programs blowing us by? You are just looking for something to complain about.

I’m indifferent to having names on jerseys, but this is stemming from having a consistent branding across sports,which I am fine with
This is just one more piece. Other programs are paying more for facilities upgrades. We’re giving ours back to the school and building academic buildings. We also go cheap on coaches. This is just one more example.

Reactions: IUgradman
No last names on jerseys. No beer sold in stadium. Outdated Adidas gear.

Does he let Tom Allen have a bullet for his pocket.
I think IU football is getting better but a long way to go to catch up with the OSU, PSU, UMs of the world. Names don't bother me and I don't drink, and its unfortunate that people won't come because they don't serve alcohol, but if you want to pack the stadium with less than stellar talent as compared to some of our conference foes, then alcohol should be a staple. Almost everyone else is going in that direction.

This is just one more piece. Other programs are paying more for facilities upgrades. We’re giving ours back to the school and building academic buildings. We also go cheap on coaches. This is just one more example.

Facilities are something to debate.

But complaining about names on jerseys is just irrational piling on, and completely undercuts any complaint you have about facilities, as it makes you a certified troll

But complaining about names on jerseys is just irrational piling on, and completely undercuts any complaint you have about facilities. Boy who cried wolf
Not having names on the back of the jersey has really hurt Alabama, Notre Dame and PSU. Our facilities are just fine but some just won't ever be happy with Glass no matter what he does. He could spend more money on football than any other team in the big ten and they would still find something to find wrong. Facilities are not the reason we don't get recruits it is because we have no history in football. We need to fill the stadium and show recruits that the fans care about football but when the stadium is half empty it does not show that. It is funny that some say the athletic office does not care about football but to me the fans don't care about the program.

The University has an endowment of over $2.5 billion (and growing). Why are they taking a chunk of the BTN money from the athletic department?
and hey have spent millions on the facilities as well. All you are looking at is football but they are renovating the golf coarse and building a new arena for wrestling and volleyball. In the last 10 years we have spent a lot on football and still have more to do with the locker room.

Not having names on the back of the jersey has really hurt Alabama, Notre Dame and PSU. Our facilities are just fine but some just won't ever be happy with Glass no matter what he does. He could spend more money on football than any other team in the big ten and they would still find something to find wrong. Facilities are not the reason we don't get recruits it is because we have no history in football. We need to fill the stadium and show recruits that the fans care about football but when the stadium is half empty it does not show that. It is funny that some say the athletic office does not care about football but to me the fans don't care about the program.
Fans don’t show up because the program hasn’t won enough. They haven’t won enough because they don’t get good players. And a big reason they don’t get good players is because recruits, parents and coaches don’t think IU is fully committed to football. They’ve said so. More and better facilities would be a way to demonstrate that commitment, but far too many people don’t care.

Fans don’t show up because the program hasn’t won enough. They haven’t won enough because they don’t get good players. And a big reason they don’t get good players is because recruits, parents and coaches don’t think IU is fully committed to football. They’ve said so. More and better facilities would be a way to demonstrate that commitment, but far too many people don’t care.
Maybe it is the fans that don't show up is the problem. To me the athletic department has done plenty to help the football program and spent a lot of money on upgrades.

How dare a university care about academics, what is the world coming to.
So if you invest in athletics you don’t care about academics?

Athletic success helps academics more than most realize. A CEO/AD’s primary responsibility is to hire great people and allocate resources properly. And allocate them in a way to get a good return on those investments. Other schools have clearly done a better job at this...evidenced by their success and their facilities

But complaining about names on jerseys is just irrational piling on, and completely undercuts any complaint you have about facilities, as it makes you a certified troll
If it doesn’t matter then why do all the best teams have them? Teams like Alabama, Clemson, OSU, etc? Is it just a coincidence that they all have names? Small details often matter to recruits...even if they don’t matter to older fans.

While I'm still a little miffed at the Spring Game fiasco (and we covered that from all angles no need to rehash the whole thing), and also still a bit traumatized from Ky Fried Uniforms..., I feel that when looked at as a whole Fred Glass has done a good job as AD.

I'm typing the rest as a JOKE (so no need to pile on with the OCD references;)):

Now if he'd just add 44 seats to get us to 52,700 and straighten up that logo I think I could find a way to put the Spring Game behind me and even would consider sharing the rest of my brilliant concepts for enhancing the game day experience... :D

Give me a call Fred: 317-555-7000;)

Personally, I really like "the name is on the front" (INDIANA) format.

If you're any good at all, and making any plays, people will learn your name. That's the whole reason for the numbers on the jersey.

Alabama has names on the jerseys

I simply like names on jerseys to know who’s who. Seems silly to do that, I’m not for it at all, and I like Glass and think program and facilities are just fine. Just make it easy for fans to get to know the players!

Yes Alabama does have names on their jerseys Scott. ND is living in the past too...I wouldn’t choose to model my current program after them.

Besides the football only weight room what else can e spend more money on when it comes to facilities. Everyone talks about NW facility and what I have read they don't have a football only weight room so what is the difference.

Maybe it is the fans that don't show up is the problem. To me the athletic department has done plenty to help the football program and spent a lot of money on upgrades.
Yet there the only school in the big ten without a football only facility. So i guess there not spending like the teams there going up againt

I simply like names on jerseys to know who’s who. Seems silly to do that, I’m not for it at all, and I like Glass and think program and facilities are just fine. Just make it easy for fans to get to know the players!

Buy a program you cheap #%*~#% ;)

Help out those poor starving students wandering thru the parking lot yelling program!, program!:D

I agree. Even if this is no big deal to many, One of your goals is trying to make the game fan friendly. Easy recognition of players. And with the personnel turnover every year it is a must. You want to get fans in the seats. Names on jerseys helps. Knowing 90 players names by their numbers is pretty hard and for the person attending one or two games their lost. Didn't Coach Hep say something like, "You play for the name on the front but you are accountable for the name on the back" (to paraphrase).

I agree. Even if this is no big deal to many, One of your goals is trying to make the game fan friendly. Easy recognition of players. And with the personnel turnover every year it is a must. You want to get fans in the seats. Names on jerseys helps. Knowing 90 players names by their numbers is pretty hard and for the person attending one or two games their lost. Didn't Coach Hep say something like, "You play for the name on the front but you are accountable for the name on the back" (to paraphrase).

Well now we've simplified things for them. Now when they win it's a TEAM win and if they lose it's a TEAM loss...

Trust me, if an individual starts consistently making big plays everyone will make an effort to figure out his name.

Anyone who owns a cell phone has the roster at their fingertips...

Or, you can go "old school" and bring in a micro-radio and listen to Fisch make the call. He & Buck will let you know who's out there...;)

Or... you can go "Ultra Old School" and buy a Program... That might even result in a teaching moment for the youngsters ("this is how we did it in the old days..."):D

Last edited:
Reactions: echs86
ADVERTISEMENT