ADVERTISEMENT

maybe the Osterman-Spurrier thing is just misdirection and this (LINK) is the

IU will only go with a candidate that will run DeBoer's offense and not make IU's players learn a new offense after just one year.

Here is what I struggle with when I heard CTA say that. These are honest questions and not meant to be a smart a$$.

How many people would know that offense and then how many of that group would be qualified to take over at IU and then out of that how many would want to make a move?

Then CTA has to make sure they would fit his culture. The hire is being forced on him versus CTA having a Kalen DeBoer type search/pick.

I get his reasoning and agree with it but I feel like an NFL team with the 12th pick in the draft and they HAVE to take the 4th QB on their draft board because they HAVE to pick the best remaining QB available.

I am probably wrong in my comparison but it feels that way to me.

TomT

IU will only go with a candidate that will run DeBoer's offense and not make IU's players learn a new offense after just one year.
I hope he doesn't limit himself too much. It’s one year. It’s not like we’re Navy and have some unique and deeply ingrained system in place.

Reactions: bang63
Here is what I struggle with when I heard CTA say that. These are honest questions and not meant to be a smart a$$.

How many people would know that offense and then how many of that group would be qualified to take over at IU and then out of that how many would want to make a move?

Then CTA has to make sure they would fit his culture. The hire is being forced on him versus CTA having a Kalen DeBoer type search/pick.

I get his reasoning and agree with it but I feel like an NFL team with the 12th pick in the draft and they HAVE to take the 4th QB on their draft board because they HAVE to pick the best remaining QB available.

I am probably wrong in my comparison but it feels that way to me.

TomT
That’s a good point. Perhaps CTA was a little bit hasty in making that statement and will actually go for the best guy with a similar offense scheme.

I keep reading this stuff about Kalen DeBoer’s offense when in reality it is no different than most people. Everyone has the same concepts. The difference is which concepts you decide to put more emphasis on . Also do have the the ability to to call the right play in the right situations. Finally have you and your staff done a good enough job getting your players to understand those concepts and are they able to execute them. It is not that CKD has some secret offense that no one else knows it is that he has the ability to call the right plays at the right time.

I keep reading this stuff about Kalen DeBoer’s offense when in reality it is no different than most people. Everyone has the same concepts. The difference is which concepts you decide to put more emphasis on . Also do have the the ability to to call the right play in the right situations. Finally have you and your staff done a good enough job getting your players to understand those concepts and are they able to execute them. It is not that CKD has some secret offense that no one else knows it is that he has the ability to call the right plays at the right time.
Amos Alonzo Stagg is credited with inventing the forward pass. Could you imagine being the opposition in that first game where the defense goes back to the huddle and says WTF was that?

it's not realistic to expect Allen to be able to find and hire someone who can replicate exactly DeBoer's offense

it is realistic IMO to expect Allen to be able to find and hire someone whose offense will far more closely resemble DeBoer's than it does Debord's

the rest will have to come from the defense; it's that unit's turn in 2020 to show some real improvement

IIRC Cale's been at OU about 20 years now, and one of his sons just became a grad asst w/ the FB program, so the Gundy family may be "lifers" in Norman

Grad assistant can only stay 2 years
right, but maybe Mom and Dad want to stay permanently? IIRC Cale could've had the Arizona OC gig a while back but turned down the opportunity (and that was before Sumlin ended up on the proverbial hot seat)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT