ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe a lineup to play with vs Army

Ware/Reneau replacing each other
Mgbako
Galloway
Cupps
X.

See how they do offensively and hopefully they get it defensively. I'm thinking this may be our best offensive lineup.
I'd like to see Ware used more creatively. 7 footer with a lot of Po

Mgbako needs to step it up.
Im not ready to say he's a 5 star flop like Lander..But if you're a legit 5 star.You ought to get 10 pts nightly walking out there..
I question early ..How good is he ?

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Im not ready to say he's a 5 star flop like Lander..But if you're a legit 5 star.You ought to get 10 pts nightly walking out there..
Good grief... it's one game and you're worried about him being a flop like Lander? He's a freshman, be patient, he's gonna be fine. Next game it's just as likely that he has a good game, and Ware struggles and then folks will be wondering if he's a flop... Gonna take awhile to figure it out and we're going to take some lumps early. I think this team will look vastly different and better come January.

He is legit. He hardly played in second half…Woody sent him a message and I’m sure he will bounce back. It’s easy to see why he is rated as highly as he is.

Here's my whimsical thought:

Galloway
Cupps
X

Sparks
Ware

With a little note to the next four that you better bring it in practice and guard the perimeter.

OK, I know that's crazy but Army will be a different team too. Likely disciplined

AND ... I had so hoped Coach RMK would be live at this game to be honored, but now I hope they'll mention Coach RMK's time there. Shaped him, and the mental basketball that came after.

One meh game - his first college game of his career - and he's a flop?

I'm not worried about that, JHS scored 18 total points in his first 3 games and turned out ok.

But to the OPs point - yes. Mgbako at the 4 is where he needs to be in college. As a "3" he is going to be matched up against guards almost certainly and isn't quick enough/good enough of a defender to reliably be tasked with that.

I yield to your expertise
It's not my expertise; what more would you like to see? They were fouling like crazy in the first half, which helped disrupt any flow and "creativity" (I'm guessing). But, he was regularly guarding out on the floor, took jumpers including a couple 3s, got to the FT line, 4 blocks and 4 assists along with a double double. What do you mean by creative? That's a pretty well-rounded line, especially for a first game. What else do you want him to do that would be more "creative" in your mind?

Last edited:
Reactions: Willdog7
Good grief... it's one game and you're worried about him being a flop like Lander? He's a freshman, be patient, he's gonna be fine. Next game it's just as likely that he has a good game, and Ware struggles and then folks will be wondering if he's a flop... Gonna take awhile to figure it out and we're going to take some lumps early. I think this team will look vastly different and better come January.
You think he avges 15 a game ?
Thats where he needs to be .
I'm sure it'll get better ..But how much we'll see...

Ware/Reneau replacing each other
Mgbako
Galloway
Cupps
X.

See how they do offensively and hopefully they get it defensively. I'm thinking this may be our best offensive lineup.
no Ware needs to stay on the court plus do not forget about Sparks.

Reactions: kmathum

LOL.
He has played one game.
JHS was a first round NBA draft pick and in his first three games he scored 7,8,3 points while playing 25-30 minutes per game. Not every 5* immediately “gets 10 points nightly walking out there”.

And how many games did it take JHS to reach 10 points? Or was he not a legit 5 star either.

JHS had 10 games he didn’t score at least 10 points in. That’s 1/3 of the season.

MM is a legit 5 star and will be fine.

Reactions: kkott and Willdog7
LOL.
He has played one game.
JHS was a first round NBA draft pick and in his first three games he scored 7,8,3 points while playing 25-30 minutes per game. Not every 5* immediately “gets 10 points nightly walking out there”.
It absolutely astounds me sometimes how stupid our own fans are.

MM is an incredibly talented 5 star freshman and some fan isn’t ready to call him a flop yet…. After 1 game. You just have to shake your head at the idiocy.

At least we can now identity who the bedwetters are here.

OK, I know that's crazy but Army will be a different team too. Likely disciplined

AND ... I had so hoped Coach RMK would be live at this game to be honored, but now I hope they'll mention Coach RMK's time there. Shaped him, and the mental basketball that came after.

Bet they are good shooters too.

;)

We got a big run to win the game … sparked by defense … the object lesson … play defense or we lose was apparent. Guards giving up 2nd chance points by not denying access to long rebounds was the second object lesson. Making FT’s was the third. Anderson was a bad matchup for MM … Anderson shot an outstanding percentage from 3.

Reactions: kkott
Little disappointed didn’t see more P&R or P&P like the end of X’s first year with TJD

Little disappointed didn’t see more P&R or P&P like the end of X’s first year with TJD
One game. Remember that CMW works on defense first and with the holes on the perimeter, there's a lot there to work on. P&R/P takes a lot of chemistry, and XJ probably doesn't have that with anyone to this point. Give it time. There's a reason you saw it at the "end" of X's first year.

Reactions: sglowrider
We got a big run to win the game … sparked by defense … the object lesson … play defense or we lose was apparent. Guards giving up 2nd chance points by not denying access to long rebounds was the second object lesson. Making FT’s was the third. Anderson was a bad matchup for MM … Anderson shot an outstanding percentage from 3.
Yep, that's why CMW (and most coaches not named Crean) prioritize D. Defend well, and you will be in almost every game, win the ones you should, and contend in the ones you maybe shouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomEric4756
You think he avges 15 a game ?
Thats where he needs to be .
I'm sure it'll get better ..But how much we'll see...
Who, Ware or MM? It's hard to sort out when MM didn't have a great first game. My guess is one of those 2 will be our leading scorer for the year. Could also be Reanu or XJ. But, I also think this team will spread it around a lot and we may not have anyone who averages 15 ppg, but 4-5 who get double figures.

It's not my expertise; what more would you like to see? They were fouling like crazy in the first half, which helped disrupt any flow and "creativity" (I'm guessing). But, he was regularly guarding out on the floor, took jumpers including a couple 3s, got to the FT line, 4 blocks and 4 assists along with a double double. What do you mean by creative? That's a pretty well-rounded line, especially for a first game. What else do you want him to do that would be more "creative" in your mind?
2 steals by a 7 footer is pretty good too. What was the matter with Sparks not being able to play?

Put him down low, get him the ball, and let him operate. I predict good things will happen.

It absolutely astounds me sometimes how stupid our own fans are.

MM is an incredibly talented 5 star freshman and some fan isn’t ready to call him a flop yet…. After 1 game. You just have to shake your head at the idiocy.
I'm not worried about him. I more concerned with our half court offense.

2 steals by a 7 footer is pretty good too. What was the matter with Sparks not being able to play?
don't think it would've showed up in as a stat, but he also raked the ball out of a guy's hand, off his knee and out of bounds, for a turnover to IU. Same effect as a steal also, so essentially 3 steals. That's not credited as a steal, is it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT