ADVERTISEMENT

Matta or Beilein

bailey777

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2011
Pretty sure we could of gotten either. I don't buy the Matta physical stuff I think it was cover for the Woodson hire. Matta has now beaten two top 15 teams on the road with much less talent than Woodson has.

Reactions: raar2 and edub72
Matta! Would retire at IU with 12+ more seasons. Belein, when Woody was his last chance.
Matta will go on to do good things at butler but he failed a physical lol. It's all bs they never even looked at Matta.

Last edited:
“Several names have been linked to the Hoosiers job opening since Miller was fired, including former Michigan coach JohnBeilein, current Texas Tech head coach Chris Beard and current New York Knicks assistant coach Mike Woodson.”

Matta will go on to do good things at butler but he failed a physical lol. It's all bs they never even looked at Matta.

He wanted IU job badly while Davis was going .500 overall. If only it wasnt for the savior *Marco Killingsworth*, Matta coulda came to IU a year before the Conley/Oden tandem entered college.

Pretty sure we could of gotten either. I don't buy the Matta physical stuff I think it was cover for the Woodson hire. Matta has now beaten two top 15 teams on the road with much less talent than Woodson has.
Right now we just do not have the guards or the bench. Cupps one day will get there.

Reactions: bbafficionado
He wanted IU job badly while Davis was going .500 overall. If only it wasnt for the savior *Marco Killingsworth*, Matta coulda came to IU a year before the Conley/Oden tandem entered college.
Kills me.

I worry Matta has seen inside IUBB (the admin, the politics, the incompetence) and at this point he’ll pass, stay at Butler, and eventually become AD.

Of course we are too dumb to hire him so it’s not an issue that he would say no.

I will take Schertz from ISU. Anyone with a overall winning % that rivals Roy Williams, Dean Smith, and Coach K is choice number one in my book. He's built championship level teams in D2 and now could be building Indiana State into a Missouri Valley Championship. North Carolina saw the writing on the wall in year 3 of the Matt Daugherty regime let's hope Buckner and Dolson has seen enough by now.

Matta has been there and seen the dysfunction inside and outside the building.
Belien is looking older by the minute and might be buying studio clothes at The Salvation Army.
Not that that matters to me but it does to recruits/transfers and super cool high priced 5 stars and their entourages that we seem to think are the answer.

What about a kid like the Valentine brother at Loyola? What about a kid like the Minnesota coach?
What about anyone without a history of stepping on their crank when they have the world by the balls?

Look at what these young dudes do with what they’ve got and the way they carry themselves.
Listen to their diction. Watch their pressers.
Their ability to form coherent sentences with out the inceesant use of the word “man” and “like”.
Kind of adult speak out of young men that both players and supporters/fans seem to stay behind regardless of success. They get time and this will take time.

Get one of these at a reasonable price then add the existing # 1 payroll to buy players, buy wins and subsequently the restored relevance.

Don’t need a proven or big name. Just need wins at any and all costs. And the money is there to do it.

The goal is to matter again and I believe we are in a great position to buy that back

Building from recruiting Indiana high school kids and forming a culture is foolish.
Gone are those days.
Kids/family’s don’t want to play here but they do want paid. Look at the shit these kids/parents take.
Might as well laugh to the bank.

This deal is about money. And we have it.
We brag about it. ROI right now is comical. Criminal. Pick your adjective.

Buy it back.

Please no geriatrics. This world is too full of old guys who should be retired but are still working. And I'm saying that as someone close to 60 years old.

AL Bino I believe, he could fix this.

And EXACTLY what gives you this confidence?

The fact that when considering star ratings, he has probably the most talent as any BT team but will probably finish close to last?
The fact that he has almost as many 15+ point losses in his time here as the previous two coaches in their last three years COMBINED?
The fact that IU's NET rating is lower than even Archie and he was fired?
The fact that IU just lost to a first year coach AT HOME and that team had a losing record going into the game? AND lost by 14! At least he didn't add to his 15+ point losses!
The fact that IU embarrassingly leads the nation in flagrant fouls, the last time I checked?
IMO, IU does not look better now than they did at the beginning of the year. Shouldn't teams get better?
The fact that IU does not have a Q1 win after what 6 games?
You say that IU does not have the guards or the bench. Who's fault is that? This is his team and he didn't address any of the problems that many saw long ago.

What are the facts you look at that makes you think he can fix this EVER, let alone this year?

Matta moves around better on two feet than Woodson. If Matta failed a physical and Woody passed?

Quinn probably had Woody get up out of a chair and walk 5 steps for his physical while he made Matta run wind sprints. The physical explanation was fishy.

And EXACTLY what gives you this confidence?

The fact that when considering star ratings, he has probably the most talent as any BT team but will probably finish close to last?
The fact that he has almost as many 15+ point losses in his time here as the previous two coaches in their last three years COMBINED?
The fact that IU's NET rating is lower than even Archie and he was fired?
The fact that IU just lost to a first year coach AT HOME and that team had a losing record going into the game? AND lost by 14! At least he didn't add to his 15+ point losses!
The fact that IU embarrassingly leads the nation in flagrant fouls, the last time I checked?
IMO, IU does not look better now than they did at the beginning of the year. Shouldn't teams get better?
The fact that IU does not have a Q1 win after what 6 games?
You say that IU does not have the guards or the bench. Who's fault is that? This is his team and he didn't address any of the problems that many saw long ago.

What are the facts you look at that makes you think he can fix this EVER, let alone this year?
I said it wont be easy. The NY and ATL players all love him. He did have a 5 star guard but he went Pro. The 5 stars are all front court players.not a team weakness. He needs a quality guard hence he went after B FLAND,He has struck out on recruiting guards after JHS JHS he thought he would have for 2 years.. X 's injuries did not help. Galloway starting really hurts too. Cupps not ready and Newtons injuries compound everything even more. I thought Gunn and Banks would improve but that did not happen. Leal has to be wide open. He is not the answer. CMW has 1 more chance to get it right. Hopefully he can get an Experience PG, ho can shoot 3's, and quick enough to play defense. also he needs a 40% 3 point shooter. McNeeley rounds out the teams recruits.

Reactions: nichlee and ams66
I said it wont be easy. The NY and ATL players all love him. He did have a 5 star guard but he went Pro. The 5 stars are all front court players.not a team weakness. He needs a quality guard hence he went after B FLAND,He has struck out on recruiting guards after JHS JHS he thought he would have for 2 years.. X 's injuries did not help. Galloway starting really hurts too. Cupps not ready and Newtons injuries compound everything even more. I thought Gunn and Banks would improve but that did not happen. Leal has to be wide open. He is not the answer. CMW has 1 more chance to get it right. Hopefully he can get an Experience PG, ho can shoot 3's, and quick enough to play defense. also he needs a 40% 3 point shooter. McNeeley rounds out the teams recruits.

I think I have told you before but you have to be the most glass is half full person I know.
This is HIS team. The roster construction is HIS.
He struck out with BF and obviously had NO back up plan but you think another year will bring some epiphany to him. Wow!
And banking on McNeeley might be hard if he backs out of his commitment as I would totally be surprised if he didn't.
If he gets another year, I hope like hell you are right but I think the glass isn't just half empty, it is bone dry.

Before I wrap this up.
You were saying that he is still learning about this team.
We just got bitch slap AT HOME by 14 points by a first year coach with mostly a new roster, a losing record and they didn't even have their best player. Hmmm, seems like that coach has his team figured out or at least when they play IU.
IU has not been consistently good at ANY phase of the game this year and IMO, they are not getting better.
But Mike still might turn this year around???????????
Or maybe you don't think he can since all you addressed in your post was recruiting and next year.
Once again, Hmm.

You dont just go to the portal and grab high talent guards like candy. He will have to beat out top 15 teams to land these guys next spring. And hd had zero success last spring doing this. He went all in on Fland and missed so now he put himself in a terrible position.

Reactions: kkott and Willdog7
Matta moves around better on two feet than Woodson. If Matta failed a physical and Woody passed?

Quinn probably had Woody get up out of a chair and walk 5 steps for his physical while he made Matta run wind sprints. The physical explanation was fishy.
There was no physical woodson was quinn's guy period and i doubt matta ever got a look.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
I think I have told you before but you have to be the most glass is half full person I know.
He struck out with BF and obviously had NO back up plan but you think another year will bring some epiphany to him. Wow!
And banking on McNeeley might be hard if he backs out of his commitment as I would totally be surprised if he didn't.
If he gets another year, I hope like hell you are right but I think the glass isn't just half empty, it is bone dry.

Before I wrap this up.
We just got bitch slap AT HOME by 14 points by a first year coach with mostly a new roster, a losing record and they didn't even have their best player. Hmmm, seems like that coach has his team figured out or at least when they play IU.
IU has not been consistently good at ANY phase of the game this year and IMO, they are not getting better.
Or maybe you don't think he can since all you addressed in your post was recruiting and next year.
Once again, Hmm.

Al….you’ve gone dark on us.
You were like the ray of sunshine to my rain clouds.
But, I understand what watching a full blown dumpster fire will do to a person.

Reactions: Al Bino
Thad's health issues were real, and still are. Even when Thad had his position at IU, the goal for Matta was to become more involved on the administrative side while helping CMW navigate the college position.

I am pretty tight with a staff member within Butler's AD, I watched practice twice a month when Lavall was the HC and over a 12 month period, I saw Thad at Butler a lot (when he held the IU position). He's tight with Barry Collier. Collier has made it known he wants to transion away from the AD job. It would not shock me if Matta moves into that position after he gets Butler Basketball back on track... which he is doing a great job so far. There are still health concerns.

Good for Thad. Help get Butler BBall back on track and then settle into the AD role. He will provide great continuity at AD for Butler, a school that has generally performed very well in bball (I’m not a Butler fan but it’s true).

IU three years ago was in okay shape. It’s not a mess. I doubt he would come back here for the grueling clean-up. Should have hired him 20 years ago.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

Before I wrap this up.
Once again, Hmm.
nothing you said was wrong

Matta he a good coach knows Indiana and recruited Indiana better then anybody the last 20 years. Dolson messed up not hiring him. I'm not saying I would hire him over May, Beard, Pearl, but I wouldn't be mad either.

Is it 2004 again? Someone needs to make some buttons!

Throw my vote Lon Kruger's way.

Screenshot-20240205-225324.jpg

Matta has had a great career over .700 winning percentage is up there with the best guys like Self, Few, Calapari, Pitino, Izzo.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Screenshot-20240205-225324.jpg

Matta has had a great career over .700 winning percentage is up there with the best guys like Self, Few, Calapari, Pitino, Izzo

Screenshot-20240205-230159.jpg

Butler Offensive Efficiency is #50 by contrast Indiana is #174. Archie Miller Rhode Island is #185 Dusty May FAU #9.

Al….you’ve gone dark on us.
You were like the ray of sunshine to my rain clouds.
But, I understand what watching a full blown dumpster fire will do to a person.
You know, through two years since the second year was better, I thought that Woodson was going to work out BUT...... I said from before the season began this year, that with the talent on this team if he couldn't get them in the top three or four in the BT then he wasn't the guy.

Fast forward and it appears that IU could be in the bottom four with three five star players!
Absolutely mind boggling.

You know, through two years since the second year was better, I thought that Woodson was going to work out BUT...... I said from before the season began this year, that with the talent on this team if he couldn't get them in the top three or four in the BT then he wasn't the guy.

Fast forward and it appears that IU could be in the bottom four with three five star players!
Absolutely mind boggling.
no guards, no bench ,I do not care how many 5 stars you have. 5 stars are overrated Landers, it does not mean instant success. Ware was not a guarantee success, he had to be coach up. Losing JHS really hurt this team. He was suppose to be a 2 year recruit. MM started slow and he still can not play defense to the level of a 5 star. You guys blame Woodson for having 3, 5 stars, that is not a key to success which you can see. It took Reneau a year to understand the game and reinvent his body. You guys want instant success it takes time even for 5 stars to adjust to college ball. The clock is ticking even in 1 bad year he has to produce. Fans and the media are funny like J JACKSON "W hat have you done for me lately"

no guards, no bench ,I do not care how many 5 stars you have. 5 stars are overrated Landers, it does not mean instant success. Ware was not a guarantee success, he had to be coach up. Losing JHS really hurt this team. He was suppose to be a 2 year recruit. MM started slow and he still can not play defense to the level of a 5 star. You guys blame Woodson for having 3, 5 stars, that is not a key to success which you can see. It took Reneau a year to understand the game and reinvent his body. You guys want instant success it takes time even for 5 stars to adjust to college ball. The clock is ticking even in 1 bad year he has to produce. Fans and the media are funny like J JACKSON "W hat have you done for me lately"

Once again, who is the captain of this ship? Woodson HAD to know that JHS was gone after dropping like 32 on PU. All he had to do was look at mock drafts. It is his JOB to prepare for the future.

If IU had just struggled some this but they were still competitive then I wouldn't be calling for his head but come on dude, this year is a clusterf***. When Iowa at home by the skin of their teeth is the top win, what more needs to be said. In the Q1 games, IU's margin of defeat is like 17 points a game. Can't get much worse.

I don't blame Woodson AT ALL for having 3 five star players. I blame him for the piss poor year when you have that kind of talent. You say that having 3 five star players is not the key to success. Evidently Woodson thought it was.

Instant success! What? This is his third year! IU is NOT going to make the NCAA, hell they might not even make the NIT. Whose fault is that?

"it takes time even for 5 stars to adjust to college ball". We are more than half way through the season and yet Woodson doesn't have IU playing anywhere close to their talent level. Why? It seems other 5 star players at other schools are playing to a high level but just not ours. Hmm, I wonder why?

Once again, who is the captain of this ship? Woodson HAD to know that JHS was gone after dropping like 32 on PU. All he had to do was look at mock drafts. It is his JOB to prepare for the future.

If IU had just struggled some this but they were still competitive then I wouldn't be calling for his head but come on dude, this year is a clusterf***. When Iowa at home by the skin of their teeth is the top win, what more needs to be said. In the Q1 games, IU's margin of defeat is like 17 points a game. Can't get much worse.

I don't blame Woodson AT ALL for having 3 five star players. I blame him for the piss poor year when you have that kind of talent. You say that having 3 five star players is not the key to success. Evidently Woodson thought it was.

Instant success! What? This is his third year! IU is NOT going to make the NCAA, hell they might not even make the NIT. Whose fault is that?

"it takes time even for 5 stars to adjust to college ball". We are more than half way through the season and yet Woodson doesn't have IU playing anywhere close to their talent level. Why? It seems other 5 star players at other schools are playing to a high level but just not ours. Hmm, I wonder why?
I agree with mostly of what you said, but guards ruled the ship. Our guards are so poor, you can guard the big men and let the guards shoot.

I did a search for "Thad Matta Cancer" and got exactly zero reports, or even rumors, of a cancer diagnosis for Thad Matta.
Because it’s not true. Despite one of the mods “confirming” it. Very irresponsible. Matta said multiple times that BU is his last coaching stop. And he’s not in line to become the AD—that role has been filled.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

Before I wrap this up.
Once again, Hmm.
This dude’s glass is overflowing. Against all evidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT